Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Art of Ocarina Volume 1 Method Book, CD, and DVD Review; I may have gotten a bit carried away..
Topic Started: 8 Sep 2015, 03:09 AM (1,949 Views)
Lydia Sanders
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I finally finished working my way through The Art of Ocarina Volume 1 and writing my review. I hope it's helpful, though it is kind of absurdly long (skip the boring parts). :D I also hope this is the right section to post it under. Moderators--please move this thread if I picked the wrong forum.

http://www.lydiasanders.com/2015/09/review-art-of-ocarina-volume-1-method.html
Edited by Lydia Sanders, 21 Jun 2017, 11:43 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LunaSolara91
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Great review! I've been considering purchasing this book myself, and this review is making me think harder about it! :)

Lydia Sanders
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
It has some quirks, but it's a good book. Probably a lot more usable now that you know what the quirks are though... :)

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Mezzetti Ocarina Tutor is bilingual, having both English and French text in it.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

There are quite a few ocarina methods available in English that use standard music notation, apart from Mezzetti. Look at my Italian ocarina page. Mezzetti's tutor has never been available in Italian. Otherwise, that was a pretty informative review.

Seems bizarre that this method leaves out any reference to high E flat (which usually works on the sort of ocarinas they're talking about) while teaching subholes (which usually don't). It might be worth noting how much of the method actually uses the subholes; I might add a link to this from my page if it largely ignores them (as it should).

It seems from your description that the method is a bit unambitious in dealing with irregular rhythms, like ties across the barline. When you've got a companion DVD, you can afford to go into more rhythmic complexity, and this matters, because most pop music uses the sorts of rhythmic features they dismiss as too advanced to describe. It doesn't come across as advanced when you listen to it or sing it, and a lot of newcomers to the ocarina will want to play it.

Might be an idea to add a link to this thread from the review itself. (Recursion: see under "recursion".

Lydia Sanders
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Endalion
13 Sep 2015, 10:23 AM
Mezzetti Ocarina Tutor is bilingual, having both English and French text in it.
Derp. Thank you. I was brain dead by the time I went hunting for links and didn't pay super close attention. Good thing that's easy to fix with the powers of the Internet. :)
Jack Campin
13 Sep 2015, 01:11 PM
There are quite a few ocarina methods available in English that use standard music notation, apart from Mezzetti. Look at my Italian ocarina page. Mezzetti's tutor has never been available in Italian. Otherwise, that was a pretty informative review.

Seems bizarre that this method leaves out any reference to high E flat (which usually works on the sort of ocarinas they're talking about) while teaching subholes (which usually don't). It might be worth noting how much of the method actually uses the subholes; I might add a link to this from my page if it largely ignores them (as it should).

It seems from your description that the method is a bit unambitious in dealing with irregular rhythms, like ties across the barline. When you've got a companion DVD, you can afford to go into more rhythmic complexity, and this matters, because most pop music uses the sorts of rhythmic features they dismiss as too advanced to describe. It doesn't come across as advanced when you listen to it or sing it, and a lot of newcomers to the ocarina will want to play it.

Might be an idea to add a link to this thread from the review itself. (Recursion: see under "recursion".
Thank you. I added a link to your list of instruction materials and a link to this thread.

Did a quick count on the subhole situation and here's what I came up with:

• The subholes are introduced in lessons 9 and 10. In lessons 9 and 10, five tunes make use of the low B, one makes use of the low Bb, and two make use of the low A--six tunes total (all of the tunes in those two lessons, since they're all about the subholes).

• In lessons 11 and 12, two tunes make use of the low B, none use the low Bb, and one uses the low A--two tunes total.

• In the repertoire section, five tunes make use of the low B, no tunes make use of the low Bb, and one tune makes use of the low A--five tunes total. In lesson 12, the exercise to introduce the low C# uses the low B and A.

• Aside from two exercises in the Scales and Exercise section, which are devoted entirely to the subholes, the rest of the exercises and scales do not use the subholes.

• If my math is right, outside of lessons 9 and 10, that's 38/45 tunes that don't use the subholes at all and 43/45 that use the low B, but not the low A or Bb.

There are several places where there are ties across the barline, but I think it's usually (not always) for notes held out a really long time, like two dotted half notes at the end of a tune. Sometimes their recommended practice chunks break up the music right in the middle of a tie, which I didn't think made a whole lot of sense.
Edited by Lydia Sanders, 13 Sep 2015, 10:29 PM.

Varda_Tintalle
Beginner
Great review! Thank you for it! I wonder how different this method book might be vs. the Cris Gale's one.

Snegurochka
Member Avatar
Beginner
What an excellent review! Very thorough, thank you for taking the time and care to write it!

I am already working my through this book, along with practicing some other songs that I just want to learn. I find that I am progressing fairly quickly with that combination, and it is holding my interest too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ