Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
sheet music; Which should I look for?
Topic Started: 15 Jul 2015, 06:40 AM (1,331 Views)
stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Which sheet music is best for the ocarina? (12 hole alto c)
Ex: piano, flute...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
You can really choose any instrument you want (though if you're playing with others you'd need an instrument that matches they key of the ocarina so as to avoid transposing; that is, a flute, piano, violin, oboe). The thing that should make the decision is the RANGE of the song. For a 12-hole, the song can't go below the A below the staff or above the F at the top of the staff. If it does, you can bring it up/down an octave respectively, but to play the song exactly how it's written you need a song that fits the ocarina. So the issue isn't "what instrument?", it's "will it fit the range?" (this becomes less of a problem for multichambers, of course).

simsimian
Ocarinist
the site Free Notes
http://www.free-notes.net/cgi-bin/noten_InDerAuswahl.pl?&lang=en&db=Main
allows you to select a range and then shows you the songs in their collection that fit within that range.
I usually select the "guitar with sharps and flats" and then restrict from B to F (because my low A is too weak).

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

The thing that you need to pay attention to is the relative range, not the absolute range. To explain further the ocarina has a playing range of an octave and a fourth (plus a semitone on the bottom*), This can be between the C below the staff to the top line F (in C major). However it can also be between the first line G and the C two ledger lines above (G ocarina). Or from the D below the staff to the G above (D ocarina).

https://pureocarinas.com/playing-techniques/choosing-the-best-ocarina-key-for-a-tune-fitting-tunes-to-the-range-of-the-ocarina/

All of these can be playable, but you would have to transpose them to fit. This makes a lot more sense once you understand scales. Transposing 'at sight' is easy enough if you think of the ocarina as being in a given key, i.e. playing something in G 'as if' you where playing on a G ocarina. Reading by interval is also useful.

*The low note is best considered an extension, You wouldn’t really want to end on it as it's typically rather muddy sounding. Also I wouldn’t bother at all with the low A, as it's really weak and unstable.
Edited by Robert Hickman, 15 Jul 2015, 05:35 PM.

bluesonic1
Member Avatar
Just Starting Out
I think the OP has the same question I have, in that we're asking which instrument's sheet music can we use straight off the bat without having to transpose or fiddle around with anything?

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Any instrument, as long as the range of that particular piece fits. If you're playing with a group, you'll need an instrument that matches your ocarina's key, so if you have an alto/soprano C you'd want music for oboe, violin, flute, or piano. (edit:) or voice
Edited by Amerred, 23 Jul 2015, 04:32 PM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

Any instrument, as long as the range of that particular piece fits

In general yes - but there are a few instruments with narrower range than an ocarina, and for them you can guarantee that everything in that instrument's repertoire will work. The entire repertoire of the Highland bagpipe can be played at pitch on an ocarina in G. Ditto with the Armenian duduk (usually music for that is written an octave down).

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
When I want to play a piece of music, I scan it to see how many sharps or flats it has in the key signature. If it has more than 3, I put the music aside. :)

Then I look to see what the highest and lowest notes are in the music. If it goes above the top line on the staff, I know it'll be out of range of an ocarina in C. If it goes below C4, I check to see if it forces you to play the subhole notes, A3 and B3 a lot. I don't like music that uses the subhole notes frequently because it's hard for me to play them consistently and achieve a good sound.

stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
there's another issue

my ocarina is lower than it should be. my friend has an ocarina the same as mine but his notes are higher. does that have anything to do with how to the ocarina was made, or...

and please don't say "because it's cheap."

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

What pitch do you get when blowing normally with all left hand holes
covered (except any subhole)? Should be G with a C ocarina. If it isn't, either you are blowing at the wrong pressure or you have been sold a mistuned instrument.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Stealth, if it's the ocarina in your avatar, then it is because of how it's made. It's useless as a music instrument.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
stealthheartocarina_z
2 Aug 2015, 02:41 AM
there's another issue

my ocarina is lower than it should be. my friend has an ocarina the same as mine but his notes are higher. does that have anything to do with how to the ocarina was made, or...

and please don't say "because it's cheap."
It is sad, but true, that a lot of cheap junk is out there that looks like an ocarina but it is not an instrument. If the Ocarina was well known and had a large established community ( like guitar, keyboards ect.) then those makers would have been put out of business long ago. It looks like most of the fake instruments are made to appeal to Zelda fanboys so you have a lot of company.

I would suggest that you get a different Ocarina from a reputable maker. If you don't want to spend much money the polycarbonate Mountains Ocarina is an excellent value and a great inline Ocarina. If you want to stick with the same shape a lot of people on here swear by the Night By Noble Ocarinas. I have never tired them so I can't personally recommend them. I have tried Robert Hickmans Alto D Ocarina and I can say it is a great instrument. He is active on TON so you can PM and talk to him directly.
Edited by Harp Player, 3 Aug 2015, 04:25 AM.

Clearlight
Member Avatar
Beginner
Also have to be carful with the transposition from certain instruments. Most aren’t in C! I think I remember clarinet being in Bb, so clarinet music is already transposed to Bb, from within the sheet music for the whole band/orchestra for that piece. If you tried to play a C ocarina with Bb clarinet music, and the piece is in E, you have to transpose twice! Not fun. I would look for a piano music and then play it in the range of your of your oc. Or maybe string instruments are in standard concert pitch I think too. I was never in orchestra, but all the band instruments were in weird keys...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Music Theory · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ