Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Official TON Contest 2015; in loving memory of Satoru Iwata
Topic Started: 14 Jul 2015, 05:22 PM (11,445 Views)
kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

EDIT

WINNERS ANNOUNCED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9TJ1eUfag0

Spoiler: click to toggle

Edit: Contest is now closed, but you can vote here:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/8049528/1/

Voting closes on 13th September 2015

Dearly beloved TON members,

I am happy to announce the TON Contest 2015, in memory of Mr. Satoru Iwata, the recently deceased legendary game programmer and CEO for Nintendo.

Here is the Official launch video for the contest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Nz5KNYkZQ

Instructions:

1. Be a registered member of The Ocarina Network forum

2. Make a video or audio recording of yourself performing a Nintendo song (dedicated to Iwata) and upload it to Youtube.
If you can't record a video, you can still upload the audio with a picture as the background.

3. Post your entry as a reply to this thread:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/8004199/1/?x=0#post8432393

Rules:

-Entries must contain the ocarina as the main instrument.
You are allowed to use backtracks and other instruments along with the ocarina

-Entries must be your own performance (duh!).

-Group submissions are allowed, but keep in mind that there can only be one prize for the group if your entry wins.

DEADLINE: 1st September, 2015
TON will allow your entry as long as it is still 1st September in your timezone.

Prizes:

Posted Image

How winners will be determined:

1st Prize winner
As soon as the deadline is over, there will be a new topic made on the forum with all the entries to allow TON members to vote.
TON members (including entrants) will make one reply to the topic, openly stating who they vote for (and why, if they wish to).
We will leave the voting thread open for 1 week, and whoever has the most votes wins!

Entrants are allowed to vote as well. They can even vote for themselves (which is usually the case..)

2nd Prize winner
TON admins and helpers who are available will discuss and select a 2nd prize winner.
This winner will not necessarily be the most popular entry, nor the most technically skilled. We will be looking for other factors, such as passion, creativity and effort *cough* or the entry that we feel the most sympathy for *cough*

3rd Prize winner
We will use a random number generator and pick this one completely randomly!
Hence, everyone who enters has a chance of winning!

1st Prize winner gets to choose which prize he/she wants. 2nd Prize winner gets the next choice.
3rd Prize winner will get the ocarina that is left.

But hey, remember to have fun! It's not all about the prizes, but for us as a community to get together and share our love for Nintendo and music!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here on this thread!

Thanks for your continued support of TON!

Edited by kissing, 21 Sep 2015, 03:25 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
One thing I didn't see here or in the video (and description), some may want to ask for clarification: who will be judging the contest?

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

kissing
14 Jul 2015, 05:22 PM

1st Prize winner
As soon as the deadline is over, there will be a new topic made on the forum with all the entries to allow TON members to vote.
TON members (including entrants) will make one reply to the topic, openly stating who they vote for (and why, if they wish to).
We will leave the voting thread open for 1 week, and whoever has the most votes wins!

Entrants are allowed to vote as well. They can even vote for themselves (which is usually the case..)

2nd Prize winner
TON admins and helpers who are available will discuss and select a 2nd prize winner.
This winner will not necessarily be the most popular entry, nor the most technically skilled. We will be looking for other factors, such as passion, creativity and effort *cough* or the entry that we feel the most sympathy for *cough*

3rd Prize winner
He wrote it in the post :)

Feanolwë
Member Avatar
Spirit of Wisdom
Hi,

Are medleys allowed?

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Feanolwë
14 Jul 2015, 10:58 PM
Hi,

Are medleys allowed?
Yes, there is a great amount of freedom you have, as long as it involves ocarina and Nintendo. Be as creative as you wish.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Reiko Souma
14 Jul 2015, 07:18 PM
One thing I didn't see here or in the video (and description), some may want to ask for clarification: who will be judging the contest?

I believe that information has been covered in detail :monocle:
Please read the section under "How winners will be determined" or skip to 1:30 in the video :)

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Neat idea! I seriously need to think of a good Nintendo tune to play. :D

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

If I was to enter this and placed, could I donate the prize to someone else?

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Once you win the prize, you are free to do with it as you wish.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
Tentenguy
14 Jul 2015, 07:23 PM
kissing
14 Jul 2015, 05:22 PM

1st Prize winner

2nd Prize winner

3rd Prize winner
He wrote it in the post :)
OOPS!!! I must've been very out of it to even ask such a silly question. >_< And on the very first post!

May the most-liked and best-decided video win!

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Reiko Souma
16 Jul 2015, 11:39 PM

May the most-liked and best-decided video win!
And the luckiest ;)

stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I'm not going to enter, but I'm perfectly happy to vote for the first prize. :) I hope it's a good one

LordAGo
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
What´s the definition of a "Nintendo song", exactly? e.g., would a song from the Pokémon video games (e.g. Route XY songs) count? If so, would a song from the Pókemon movies (e.g. Lugias Theme or what ever worthy song there is that was not in the games) also count?

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

LordAGo
17 Jul 2015, 12:48 PM
What´s the definition of a "Nintendo song", exactly? e.g., would a song from the Pokémon video games (e.g. Route XY songs) count? If so, would a song from the Pókemon movies (e.g. Lugias Theme or what ever worthy song there is that was not in the games) also count?
It is deliberately open to interpretation.
It is a contest of creativity

Use good judgment and common sense!

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

If a game is developed by Capcom, but it was on a Nintendo console (as well as Sega), does that count?

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

To be perfectly honest, you can play whatever you want as long as its tied to Nintendo in some way.

But do remember that first prize will ultimately be decided by member vote. If you picked a song that has hardly anything to do with Nintendo, will your performance be looked favorably upon? That's for the people to decide.

For example... Star Wars Pod Racer was a popular Nintendo 64 game...
Does that mean you can play any Star Wars theme song?

On the one hand, maybe that's stretching it a bit far and loses its relevance directly to Nintendo.
But on the other hand, does it show the sheer diversity and ubiquity that Nintendo has become, and you wish to give merit to that?

Up to you! TON contests have always had this kind of "open-ended" element.
You can enter for fun and play whatever you wish to... or you could be very strategic and try to analyse what kind of entry will be most likely to win.

That's what makes contests fun! We see people being as creative as they can be, and as a result, we often see some very impressive performances and all sorts of unique and whacky ideas!

I encourage the divergence of ideas and possibilities, not convergence to a narrow set of conformist rules! We get enough of the latter in our daily lives!

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Well, I MIGHT just surprise you all and ve IN!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Pat Anderson
19 Jul 2015, 05:18 AM
Well, I MIGHT just surprise you all and ve IN!
Alright! I will be cheering for you if you decide to join in the contest. I'm dying to see what you will play for us.

Did you catch the video Mark posted on FB today of Green Greens from Kirby's Epic Yarn? That was very good.

We have a lot of talent on TON, show us your stuff folks!

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

pandorado100
19 Jul 2015, 03:51 PM
Did you catch the video Mark posted on FB today of Green Greens from Kirby's Epic Yarn? That was very good.
Just to be clear, that wasn't my video. I just shared it because I liked it.

Ocarinamusic
Member Avatar

Hi Sam, just saw the first price are two Zfan ocarinas of us, of course i give the winner A set (Zelda Songbook with CD ) to the ocarinas.
He needs only o report to me after the Contest.
for info: the C1 Zfan is very rare and was made only for a short time.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mark Chan
19 Jul 2015, 05:13 PM
pandorado100
19 Jul 2015, 03:51 PM
Just to be clear, that wasn't my video. I just shared it because I liked it.
Oh? I thought you were playing in the Kirby video. I still like it a lot but now you must make one yourself. Maybe a collab with Pat Anderson? That will get him started with video game music. :grin:

Izzi
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
A silly question maybe, but can I participate with my cheap ocarina that hurts everybody's ears ? I don't expect to win with this, but I like the challenge since I started playing again for a week now :)

Szandor Ugarte
Pendant Ocarinist
Yay, time to win ocarinas ;D.. I hope to win

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Everyone is welcome to enter! Doesn't matter what skill level or what kind of ocarina you use!

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Ocarinamusic
19 Jul 2015, 08:35 PM
Hi Sam, just saw the first price are two Zfan ocarinas of us, of course i give the winner A set (Zelda Songbook with CD ) to the ocarinas.
He needs only o report to me after the Contest.
for info: the C1 Zfan is very rare and was made only for a short time.

Thank you for your generous offer! I will make sure to remember your contribution when prizes are announced. Thank you

Nafaei
Member Avatar
A figment of your imagination...
I already submitted a video, but here's my question: I am thinking about collaborating with a friend, would he be able to enter a submission even if I perform in the video as well?

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

So I just found out that Disney made a Frozen video game on Nintendo console(s). Totally playing Let it Go.

carbon

I've been looking for an excuse to pick up Electroplankton. I think I'm going to incorporate it into my entry. Iwata approached an artist to make the game. It's a pretty neat thing and represents his sensibilities. I think it was an early "art game".

My video/music will be a bit more experimental, I think :)

Edited by carbon, 22 Jul 2015, 03:14 AM.

Farore
Member Avatar
Untalented Bafoon
I have a question.
Does it matter how long the video is? As in, can I enter one that's only around a minute long?

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Nafaei
21 Jul 2015, 04:53 PM
I already submitted a video, but here's my question: I am thinking about collaborating with a friend, would he be able to enter a submission even if I perform in the video as well?
That's a tough one.
The rules state, one submission per entrant.

I think it would be more fair if that same rule applies whether you are entering individually or in a group.
You can only be involved in one submission, whether it is on your own or in a group.
I believe entering once by yourself, and entering again in a group could come across as an unfair advantage.
Theoretically you could enter an infinite number of times by simply making multiple videos involving "other" musicians.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Farore
22 Jul 2015, 05:40 AM
I have a question.
Does it matter how long the video is? As in, can I enter one that's only around a minute long?
It doesn't matter at all.

Just use your common sense - what would make your video likely to be voted by members and the judges?
It can be any length as you need it to be.

Nafaei
Member Avatar
A figment of your imagination...
kissing
22 Jul 2015, 10:35 AM
That's a tough one.

I think it would be more fair if that same rule applies whether you are entering individually or in a group.
You can only be involved in one submission, whether it is on your own or in a group.
I believe entering once by yourself, and entering again in a group could come across as an unfair advantage.
Theoretically you could enter an infinite number of times by simply making multiple videos involving "other" musicians.
Alright, thanks Kissing! I figured that would be the case, but wanted to make sure. My friend is just starting, so he would only be comfortable entering if I helped ^.^'

Farore
Member Avatar
Untalented Bafoon
Quote:

It doesn't matter at all.

Just use your common sense - what would make your video likely to be voted by members and the judges?

Thank you for answering.
I will put something together soon, hopefully it turns out okay. :S

carbon

kissing
22 Jul 2015, 10:37 AM
My entry probably won't be voted for by members / judges. I'm participating because I want to do something experimental and fun.

That's the thing, don't get too caught up on playing to the crowd. Just make something you like and if others like it - cool.. if not - maybe you'll win a random prize.

bluesonic1
Member Avatar
Just Starting Out
kissing
22 Jul 2015, 10:35 AM
Nafaei
21 Jul 2015, 04:53 PM
That's a tough one.

I was just about to ask a similar question until I saw this post. The one submission per person isn't in the first post with all the rest of the details, just thought you should know :P

While I'm here, I'll ask just in case: I know it says backing instruments are allowed, but can we use multiple ocarinas for the piece (all played by the submitter) instead of backing instruments?
Edited by bluesonic1, 23 Jul 2015, 02:40 PM.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

You can use any number of ocarinas you want to (even over 9000!)

bluesonic1
Member Avatar
Just Starting Out
What kind of restrictions are there with the video? Does it have to be completely our own making or can we have animations from video games? (I can't record videos and having just a still image background for the audio seems a bit plain)
Edited by bluesonic1, 23 Jul 2015, 04:33 PM.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

You can have anything in your video, as long as it doesn't breach Youtube's rules.

As long as any performing aspect is your own

Dimitri
Member Avatar
Help me, I'm bored.
This is a great idea. I think I'll enter.
The contest being dedicated to Satoru Iwata is great, because I already have a Nintendo-related song that I had thought would be appropriate for that kind of thing. I hope I can learn it in time. :D

Edit: Actually, looking at the sheet music, it may not be possible to transpose, so I may have to find something else. But I will find a song!
Edited by Dimitri, 25 Jul 2015, 04:20 AM.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Seeing as it's September 2nd, It's safe to say the contest is now closed, yes?

When will the judging take place?

MasterOfKawaii
Member Avatar
Kinda okay...
I can't seem to find the voting thread that you mentioned in the description...

Farore
Member Avatar
Untalented Bafoon
I don't think the thread is up yet.
Seems to be running late, I guess?

MasterOfKawaii
Member Avatar
Kinda okay...
Sam? Running late? I didn't think it was possible...

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Hi guys, the voting thread is now up!

MasterOfKawaii
Member Avatar
Kinda okay...
kissing
3 Sep 2015, 11:41 AM
Hi guys, the voting thread is now up!

Sweet. Thanks, bro. I'm winning right now. Lol.
Edited by MasterOfKawaii, 3 Sep 2015, 11:59 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ