Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
2015 US Ocarina Festival; October 10th-11th
Topic Started: 21 May 2015, 07:37 AM (7,220 Views)
carbon

I'm happy to officially announce the 2nd annual United States Ocarina Festival!!!

Posted Image

2 Day Event!

Admission: Free
Dates: October 10th - 11th 2015
Venue : Allen Library Civic Auditorium 300 N Allen Dr, Allen, TX 75013
Nearby Airports: DFW / DAL
Hotel: Hilton Garden Inn +1-214-547-1700
Use this link to reserve your room:
http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/groups/personalized/D/DALALGI-USCF2-20151008/index.jhtml
$89/Night Double Queen and $84/night Single King

Mass Transit : http://www.dart.org/
(Parker Road Station then call hotel for shuttle (recommended only if on a tight budget).

Confirmed Performers:
(List will grow as more confirmations occur)
ystein Haga
Milt Ocarina​
Itsuki Shion​
Cornell Kinderknecht Music​
Cris Gale​

We are still planning the schedule, but if you're interested in what we're considering - take a look at this doc :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GEQYffKZxwvinCOxMCPjwQKf3kbVpp_7txvQf2FcMrU/

Add yourself to the FB event here :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/904025719656270/

Don't forget to invite your ocarina friends.

Edited by carbon, 16 Jul 2015, 03:38 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Cool! I've added it to the TON Calendar.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Ooh lordy, Milt's coming! I need to go ahead and snag a cheap roundtrip flight.

carbon

One of this year's attendees is a travel agent, so I'm going to see if I can figure something out there too. I'll keep you posted.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I will be there! :)

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

I should be there and representing TON.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I intend to go also. That is so cool that Shion and Milt will be there as well as Cris and Cornell. I'm looking forward to meeting Stephen Bobchin in the flesh.

This is going to be awesome! :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I saw on FB that Claudio Colombo is going. But I'm not sure if that's for real or him just accepting any invite.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
I plan on traveling with Pandorado~! :3
EDIT: A dear friend of mine is thinking of taking the trip from southwestern Texas. She's very curious about ocarinas...we're still working out ways of making this happen since we haven't seen each other since high school. :)
Edited by Reiko Souma, 21 May 2015, 04:18 PM.

Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
Conflict resolution is only a half step away!
I will definitely be there! I can't wait to meet you guys in person. :)

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Wish I could go, but it's during school for me and even my weekends are covered. Have fun you guys.

carbon

That's too bad Jubal. Keep in mind that it is a holiday weekend and on a Saturday and Sunday. You could, theoretically, fly in on Friday night and then fly home on Monday and see everything. That's the main reason we chose Columbus Day weekend (that and the weather is SUPPOSED to be nicer in October).

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

We nearly froze to death this last year on the Saturday, so hopefully this year will be different, lol.

Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
I will have to drive (seven hours) back to south Louisiana on Sunday afternoon so that I can be at work on Monday morning. However, I have two days off on the previous Thursday and Friday, so I will be there by Thursday night. I can definitely get together with people on Friday. :jumpy:

carbon

@ Bat We now have an inside venue, so it should be fine :) Also, if the weather is nice - there's an outside area that's pretty nice.

Everything will be at the library auditorium this year. This means that for the "talent showcase" - you'll be performing on a stage and I think I'll even be able to get HQ recordings.

@Bayou Mama: Lots of informal meetups happen in the days before and after the festival, so arriving early is definitely good. I expect that there will be a lot of people arriving on Friday / Thursday night. There will be plenty to do. If there's demand, we can even organize something for Friday - though it won't be at the "official" venue.
Edited by carbon, 21 May 2015, 07:25 PM.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I'm part of an organization at school that does a lot on weekends, and I checked my calendar and unfortunately it isn't one of our off weekends. If it was I'd definitely make it. I'll make it someday, either when my schedule doesn't clash or I'm done with school (which isn't so far off.)

carbon

Cool. The festival is something we're going to try to grow every year. 2015 is being announced now, but discussions about 2016 have already begun.

So, while you may miss this one - there's always next year. The only thing is - it's hard to know who can come from year to year.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Bateleur
21 May 2015, 07:18 PM
We nearly froze to death this last year on the Saturday, so hopefully this year will be different, lol.
Everybody froze except for Suba. He seemed impervious to the cold. I can't believe he's from Texas. I would have guessed the South Pole. :grin:
Bayou Mama
21 May 2015, 07:23 PM
I will have to drive (seven hours) back to south Louisiana on Sunday afternoon so that I can be at work on Monday morning. However, I have two days off on the previous Thursday and Friday, so I will be there by Thursday night. I can definitely get together with people on Friday. :jumpy:
Last year, Dennis Yeh came to the festival. He drove all the way from St Louis, MO. I believe he said it was an 11 hour drive.
Edited by pandorado100, 22 May 2015, 12:28 AM.

Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
@Pandorado: I don't mind the drive too much. My parents still live in the Dallas area, so I can practically make the trip with my eyes closed. I am just sorry that I can't stay for all of Sunday. :c

I will be happy to help drive folks around during the weekend if needed.

Viraltempo
Member Avatar
Newbie Ocarinist
I'm setting myself up to go this year :D!!

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

Texas weather is bizarre. I'll never get used to it. Anytime you go anywhere, you have to wear short sleeves under a jacket. If it's sunny, well then you definitely want to make sure you bring an umbrella. Yesterday it rained in the morning on my way to work, then a couple hours later there was barely a cloud in the sky and it was humid and like 85 degrees, then storms woke me up at 3 am and kept me awake for the rest of the night, and then today was gray and cold. XD
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 22 May 2015, 03:48 AM.

Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
I think we all believe our weather is odd and changes quickly. I have heard people from so many places say, "You don't like the weather? Wait a minute." October in the Dallas area will probably be very nice. The average high temp is 80 degrees F (26.7 C) for October 10th and the average low is 60F (15.6C). That sounds perfect!

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

Bayou Mama
22 May 2015, 05:40 AM
I think we all believe our weather is odd and changes quickly. I have heard people from so many places say, "You don't like the weather? Wait a minute." October in the Dallas area will probably be very nice. The average high temp is 80 degrees F (26.7 C) for October 10th and the average low is 60F (15.6C). That sounds perfect!
Okinawa weather is predictable enough to set your watch by.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Bayou Mama
22 May 2015, 12:35 AM
@Pandorado: I don't mind the drive too much. My parents still live in the Dallas area, so I can practically make the trip with my eyes closed. I am just sorry that I can't stay for all of Sunday. :c

Bayou Mama, Reiko Souma and I are planning on flying in on Friday night. We've got to get together and have a girls night out on the town! You can show us to all the great eating places and honky tonks. :eager:

It's too bad you have to leave on Sunday. We were planning on staying until Monday but since Jon is in the process of negotiating a great hotel room rate for us, maybe we can swing another night and fly back on Tuesday.

Last year, I remember Mark telling me that it was 85 F (30 C) on Friday but by Saturday the temperature dropped to the low 50s (12 C) which was too chilly to be outside without a sweater, especially when you are sitting in a group playing ocarinas. Cris was nice enough to bring extra hoodies to pass out to folks who were freezing. :grin:
Edited by pandorado100, 22 May 2015, 03:23 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I plan on staying at the same hotel as everyone else this time. Makes things easier.

The Ramada Limited in Plano wouldn't honor the rate that I reserved the room for and insisted that it was an error. I complained to corporate and got my refund. Plus, the deadbolt was broken.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mark Chan
22 May 2015, 03:22 PM
I plan on staying at the same hotel as everyone else this time. Makes things easier.

The Ramada Limited in Plano wouldn't honor the rate that I reserved the room for and insisted that it was an error. I complained to corporate and got my refund. Plus, the deadbolt was broken.
I think you'll like the Hilton Garden Inn, Mark. That's where Emily, Nicole and I stayed last year. They have a wonderful breakfast bar in the morning and really comfortable rooms. Compared to the "suite" Reiko and I stayed at in NYC when we went to Cris' Carnegie Hall concert, it was quite deluxe.

DarkAlchemist
Member Avatar
Vice Fuhrer Nicole The Dark Alchemist
I'm definitely going!

I think I'll be making the trip by myself this year. if so, anyone want to share a hotel room?

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
pandorado100
22 May 2015, 03:17 PM
Bayou Mama
22 May 2015, 12:35 AM
Bayou Mama, Reiko Souma and I are planning on flying in on Friday night. We've got to get together and have a girls night out on the town! You can show us to all the great eating places and honky tonks. :eager:

It's too bad you have to leave on Sunday. We were planning on staying until Monday but since Jon is in the process of negotiating a great hotel room rate for us, maybe we can swing another night and fly back on Tuesday.
I have class and work on that Tuesday and can't take more than one day off from both, so I'll have to be back by Monday night. :c A girls' night out on one of the nights does sound fabulous, though. :3

Don't remind me of that "suite"...that's the last time I try charging my phone in one of those places. -_-
Edited by Reiko Souma, 22 May 2015, 04:59 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I was thinking of Flying in Friday Night and leaving on the Monday so I don't have to use any time off from work. But since Milt and Shion will be there, I want to stay for a bit longer (perhaps fly in on Thursday).

Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
pandorado100
22 May 2015, 03:17 PM

Last year, I remember Mark telling me that it was 85 F (30 C) on Friday but by Saturday the temperature dropped to the low 50s (12 C) which was too chilly to be outside without a sweater, especially when you are sitting in a group playing ocarinas. Cris was nice enough to bring extra hoodies to pass out to folks who were freezing. :grin:
We will definitely have to go for a night on the town! It has been quite a few years since I lived in Dallas, but I'm sure we can find some great nightlife. The Dallas area is full of wonderful restaurants, too. I was there a few months ago and actually had very good Xiao Long Bao at Jeng Chi, which is very close to the area where you'll be staying. Yao Fuzi is also supposed to be very good for XLB, and it is in Plano (close to you also). I don't know what kind of food you like, but we can probably find it there!

Have you considered coming in on Thursday night instead? I understand if that becomes difficult due to work. Maybe I will be able to take an extra day off from work and drive home on Monday. It is a little too early to know for sure. My youngest daughter (almost 17) may make the trip with me, and she would have to be back at school on Monday. I wish I could convince her to play the ocarina. She has, unfortunately, given me an "ocarina bedtime" at night, after which I am not supposed to play. :c

I hope we can all exchange cell numbers to stay in touch during the weekend. I will be staying at my parents' house, but I would like to join the group as much as possible!
@ Mark: Come in on Thursday!!
Edited by Bayou Mama, 22 May 2015, 08:50 PM.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Bayou Mama
22 May 2015, 08:50 PM
Have you considered coming in on Thursday night instead? I understand if that becomes difficult due to work. Maybe I will be able to take an extra day off from work and drive home on Monday. It is a little too early to know for sure. My youngest daughter (almost 17) may make the trip with me, and she would have to be back at school on Monday. I wish I could convince her to play the ocarina. She has, unfortunately, given me an "ocarina bedtime" at night, after which I am not supposed to play. :c

I hope we can all exchange cell numbers to stay in touch during the weekend. I will be staying at my parents' house, but I would like to join the group as much as possible!
@ Mark: Come in on Thursday!!
I can only come from Friday until Monday, sadly, and my not being able to drive will hopefully not hamper Pandorado's (or anyone else's) plans any. :(

Shion Itsuki for Milt
Member Avatar

Hi guys \(^^)/
Finally I will be there!

:) :) :) :) :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Shion Itsuki for Milt
23 May 2015, 04:31 AM
Hi guys \(^^)/
Finally I will be there!

:) :) :) :) :)
Yay! I'm so glad that I will be able to meet both you and Milt at last, Shion. I'm afraid I cannot speak Japanese well enough to hold a full conversation but I can say a few polite phrases like "hajime mashite" and "ogenki desuka". :grin:

Reiko Souma, don't worry about not being able to drive. I plan on renting a car at the airport and driving us both to the hotel and to the various places we'll be visiting. It's too bad that you won't be able to extend your stay. I have no idea if I can fly in on Thursday since I didn't request it when I put in for my vacation. All I know is that I am definitely approved for Friday through Monday on Columbus Day weekend.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
pandorado100
23 May 2015, 03:51 PM
Reiko Souma, don't worry about not being able to drive. I plan on renting a car at the airport and driving us both to the hotel and to the various places we'll be visiting. It's too bad that you won't be able to extend your stay. I have no idea if I can fly in on Thursday since I didn't request it when I put in for my vacation. All I know is that I am definitely approved for Friday through Monday on Columbus Day weekend.
Okay, I won't worry about not being able to drive. :)

Even though the fall semester is months away, I had to give one of my professors advance notice since he's teaching two of my classes; I have to go through him and the department chair about possibly getting this approved as a college-approved trip to meet my field trip/performance quota for each semester.

Once sign ups for open performances open up, I'll be looking for someone who's willing to play "Epona's Song" on ocarina whilst I play it on piano. I've been practising the accompaniment for a really long time (a good twelve years), so it would mean a lot to me if I could accompany someone. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Reiko Souma
23 May 2015, 05:31 PM
pandorado100
23 May 2015, 03:51 PM
Okay, I won't worry about not being able to drive. :)

Even though the fall semester is months away, I had to give one of my professors advance notice since he's teaching two of my classes; I have to go through him and the department chair about possibly getting this approved as a college-approved trip to meet my field trip/performance quota for each semester.

Once sign ups for open performances open up, I'll be looking for someone who's willing to play "Epona's Song" on ocarina whilst I play it on piano. I've been practising the accompaniment for a really long time (a good twelve years), so it would mean a lot to me if I could accompany someone. :)
You'll find plenty of talented folks to accompany you at the Ocarina Festival. I'm sure Mark or Emily would be happy to oblige. If you're lucky you might get Cris. :grin:

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Oh Cris~~~! ;)
My life would be MADE if Cris was to accompany my piano-playing! <3

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I'd love to. Thanks for offering. :)

Speaking of Epona's Song, I missed an opportunity to try it out for real yesterday. At a wedding rehearsal where Patrick and I were performing some Zelda music, there were some horses on the other side of the fence off in the distance. I wish I had played it now!!! XD

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

I will have a car when I go,so giving rides isn't out of the question.

(Hopefully it will be my Skyline)
Edited by Stephen Bobchin, 24 May 2015, 01:02 AM.

Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
Gift swap at the festival? Jon asked me to put this up for consideration:

Pandorado 100 and I were chatting today, and she offered to bring something from Rhode Island to the festival for me since I lived in R.I. waaaay back in my college days. That sparked an idea for those who are interested to bring some kind of gift or treat to the festival that represents their state, region, country, etc. We would then have a gift swap, perhaps on the day of the workshops. We can also set a suggested price range, and bringing a gift would be strictly optional. Is there any interest out there for those going to the festival? Chime in to let us know, and we will organize it.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I think it would be a fun way for those of us who don't know everyone to get better acquainted.

I often think that Del's frozen lemonade is one of the best things to come out of Rhode Island since Eclipse (and Autocrat) coffee syrup. :)

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Ocarinadiva
24 May 2015, 12:54 AM
I'd love to. Thanks for offering. :)

Speaking of Epona's Song, I missed an opportunity to try it out for real yesterday. At a wedding rehearsal where Patrick and I were performing some Zelda music, there were some horses on the other side of the fence off in the distance. I wish I had played it now!!! XD
Oh my word! Really??? I mean, I'm so honoured and happy and happily-shocked all in one that I actually didn't even know how to express myself until now! XD I've never accompanied any ocarinist on piano before, so this really does mean a lot to me - thank you so much! :grin: :focalinkpink:

Aw! That would have been so wonderful to play Epona's Song for the horses and a beautiful sight to see them come over to you as well! I wonder if anyone's been able to summon horses just by playing Epona's Song... :think:

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I know it's early, but I booked my flights already. Southwest had a sale (they always have sales), so I took advantage of it. It was $119 each way non-stop from BWI to DAL and vice versa.

I'll be flying in on the Thursday night, and returning Monday night.

Shion Itsuki for Milt
Member Avatar

Mark Chan
26 May 2015, 07:06 PM
I know it's early, but I booked my flights already. Southwest had a sale (they always have sales), so I took advantage of it. It was $119 each way non-stop from BWI to DAL and vice versa.

I'll be flying in on the Thursday night, and returning Monday night.
Milt and myself will fly in the morning on 8th and leave on 13th.

Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
I am so happy to hear that Milt, Shion, and Mark have made their travel plans. I look forward to meeting everyone!

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
My husband and I will be there. Can't wait to see everyone again this year!! <3

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ