Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Practicing vibrato; Some tips that helped me
Topic Started: 29 Dec 2014, 01:28 PM (1,197 Views)
Kenneth
Member Avatar
Music Hunter
Just wanted to share my experience with learning vibrato which I have been working at for a few weeks. I am still far from perfect, but feel I have had huge improvement just over a few days. I have been using the "ha ha ha" method, to get the proper muscle movement going to create the vibrato, but it always felt/sounded forced and often threw me out of tune. Figuring out if the vibrato should come from the throat or diaphragm was also an issue for me.

The thing that helped me was using ear plugs while practicing. Doing this, canceling out most sound from the ocarina, I was able to actually hear the "movements" of the air and muscles inside my throat while attempting vibrato. This made me focus on how it feels because I could actually hear it, and helped me realize that my throat would normally be strained (non-relaxed) while playing. By relaxing and opening the throat, there was a big difference. This also helped making the vibrations of air more even and consistent, because the normally loud sound of the ocarina is not obscuring it as much.

Another problem I had was also that I felt out of breath after playing a song, especially while trying to use vibrato. What helped me here was breathing with the stomach. When you do this, your upper body and shoulders should not move, only your stomach should move in and out. This is like deep breath exercises and can actually help with a lot of things, not just ocarina playing. :)

So, for anyone having issues you could give this a try and see if it helps. Just plug in some ear plugs (make sure to clog up the ears completely), then do some deep stomach breaths and breathe into the ocarina - don't blow. Then do vibrato and listen to what happens in your throat.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

Glad you're finding some progress with it, it took me a long time as well so you're not alone.

What worked for me was the 'triplets' technique described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXwD9LcD_s

Don't be afraid to practice *really* slowly, I think I started at metronome 40 or so and gradually speed it up over the course of several months. I had to practice this for almost a whole day to start getting it smooth at that slow speed, then working it up.

Also I first learned to do this on the transverse flute, and found getting a good vibrato on the ocarina very hard as they are far more sensitive to pressure changes. The breath variation you'd use on a flute sounds far too 'wide' when done on the oc. So starting on recorder/whistle/flute, even as a vibrato practice tool, may be easier.

Also start practicing on mid-range notes around the G (assuming alto C) as these notes are a lot less sensitive to breath pressure.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Playing Techniques · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ