Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Songbird Star Key ocarina; double harmony ocarina
Topic Started: 12 Dec 2014, 09:04 AM (8,379 Views)
pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I've been intrigued by various posts I've seen on Facebook alluding to a new "Star Key" ocarina that Durian Songbird is working on. There was also this brief description of the new model in the latest Songbird newsletter.

Hi there! My name is Celeste, and I'm the inventor behind the fabled Star Key ocarina.

Based on ancient Amazonian technology once used for mental clarity, the Star Key is a harmonic double-chamber soprano ocarina that is as vitalizing as it is unique.

As alluded to in "The Legend of the Star Key," the Star Key has the ability to transform reality by harnessing the power of overtones, beat phenomena, and harmonics that stimulate and entrain the brain to simple Pythagorean ratios.

Team Songbird and I have been working tirelessly to bring this instrument to the world, and we're thrilled to announce that it's almost time for you to experience the amazing effects of the Star Key for yourself!

Anybody else here following this ocarina? I'm sure David could tell us a few things but he's probably under a non disclosure agreement. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gytech
Member Avatar
The opinionated quiet guy.

I tried it earlier this November when I was volunteering at a Con for Songbird and I loved the metallic, space like sound of it. It was a little shrill but I can tolerate most high pitched noises so I fell in love with it. I was very tempted to buy one of them but I was talked out of it by David.

It's another great piece by Songbird. :)

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Why did David talk you out of it? Oh, and on second thought, how expensive was it?

As for my opinion, I... don't like the premise. I've seen too many fine ocarinas that people try to sell through gimmicky pitches like this, where it has some mystical powers or tribal significance. It's a normal instrument - sell it like one! I can't say I really agree with the maker's pretentious use of the word "fabled," but that's not really important. I'll be interested in seeing how the ocarina itself looks and sounds. I believe that it should be good, or at least something new. But I really dislike the spin that they're putting on this one. Just sell it like a normal ocarina, not as a magic revitalizing flute.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I think I remember something about it being a tie-in with an upcoming comic book that Songbird and his comic book artist friend are collaborating on.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Well, can't say I was expecting that... Though it has made this whole situation a bit more interesting, and it also means that the whole "magic powers" thing isn't a completely baseless gimmick meant to sell - it's actually connected to something that Songbird (and friends) is (are) doing. Eh, still more interested in seeing/hearing it. I'll admit that they're doing a good job building hype.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I wonder if it's their triple harmony?

EDIT: I'm stupid. Didn't see the "double chamber" part.
Edited by Jubal, 13 Dec 2014, 07:55 PM.

gytech
Member Avatar

Mainly because of the fact I was buying it on impulse and price. *laughs* I wasn't thinking very smart.

In terms of sound, I liked it a bunch. I could see how some people would will think that it's on the shrill side, but it's something unique so it has my full attention. It's hard to describe the sound personally, it's just really different to me.

Sorry for my poor explanation.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

pandorado100
12 Dec 2014, 09:04 AM

Hi there! My name is Celeste, and I'm the inventor behind the fabled Star Key ocarina.

Based on ancient Amazonian technology once used for mental clarity, the Star Key is a harmonic double-chamber soprano ocarina that is as vitalizing as it is unique.

Can someone elaborate on this Amazonian technology?

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
I can't wait to see the collab of oc and comic!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Wollemi Pine
13 Dec 2014, 09:27 PM
pandorado100

The only Amazonian technology I know about is the native Indians technique for making shrunken heads. I once had to give a speech for class where we were graded on audience engagement, so my presentation was on how to make a shrunken head. I did very well on my grade for that speech. :rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrunken_head
Edited by pandorado100, 14 Dec 2014, 03:45 AM.

DavidRamos
Member Avatar

gytech
13 Dec 2014, 09:13 PM
Mainly because of the fact I was buying it on impulse and price. *laughs* I wasn't thinking very smart.
haha, yes, it was purely because we were displaying them at a convention and we did not have a final price or the "comic" materials to go along with it, so I recommended him waiting until we have everything finished.

I can't say too much more about Star Key beyond what has already been mentioned (all will be revealed on 12/21!), but I will elaborate a little on the "Amazonian technology". This past year, Durian had been researching the polyphonic flutes of the Aztec and Mayan and discovered several very cool examples, even meeting several makers who continue the flute making tradition to this date. He learned that these flutes were used to alter your state of mind by manipulating frequencies simply by shading the finger holes in different increments, creating a sort of dissonance between the two chambers, and modeled the Star Key after these ancient flutes. Pretty fascinating stuff if you are familiar with the science of acoustics.
Edited by DavidRamos, 14 Dec 2014, 04:17 AM.

Higbinatr
Musician.
Alright thank you for that explanation David, I am really looking forward for some sound samples and I definitely will be interested, and probably will buy one after Christmas. The whole idea about this ocarina makes me so curious and eager for it!!! I also really want to know what exactly it looks like :o
Edited by Higbinatr, 14 Dec 2014, 04:22 AM.

Jubal
Member Avatar

pandorado100
14 Dec 2014, 03:45 AM
Wollemi Pine
pandorado100

The only Amazonian technology I know about is the native Indians technique for making shrunken heads. I once had to give a speech for class where we were graded on audience engagement, so my presentation was on how to make a shrunken head. I did very well on my grade for that speech. :rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrunken_head
The indigenous peoples of South America were actually very advanced. Especially so in mathematics, but as David has pointed out, they were also pretty interesting ocarina makers too.

In fact, when the Europeans came, the civilizations they found weren't much different looking from Europe. (Cities, schools, courthouses, etc.)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
@ Jubal

If I had based my presentation on how the ancient Mayans handled urban planning or water delivery systems I don't think my audience engagement grade would have been that good.

Sensaationalism sells better. :D
Edited by pandorado100, 14 Dec 2014, 03:25 PM.

Turbo852
Member Avatar

Very interesting! The concept reminds me of binaural beats, which they say can alter your state of mind as well.

Binaural Beats

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
http://www.songbirdocarina.com/products/the-star-key BOOM! Its out! :D !

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
Yes!! Looks awesome! I can't wait to hear it!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Timothee, for some reason your link doesn't work for me. I am using Google Chrome. I get a blank tab when I click on it.

I used my bookmarked Songbird Ocarina page in my browser to go check out the Star Key.

I love how it looks. It looks like a heart shaped ocarina. :)

Star Key

Attached to this post:
Attachments: Star_Key.jpg (170.07 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 20 Dec 2014, 10:04 PM.

gytech
Member Avatar

Yep, it's still pretty as always <3

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Haha, I remember the more round prototype that looked like something inappropriate. :evillaugh:

LittleMarin
Member Avatar
Marin Musica
DavidRamos
14 Dec 2014, 04:04 AM
gytech
13 Dec 2014, 09:13 PM
haha, yes, it was purely because we were displaying them at a convention and we did not have a final price or the "comic" materials to go along with it, so I recommended him waiting until we have everything finished.

I can't say too much more about Star Key beyond what has already been mentioned (all will be revealed on 12/21!), but I will elaborate a little on the "Amazonian technology". This past year, Durian had been researching the polyphonic flutes of the Aztec and Mayan and discovered several very cool examples, even meeting several makers who continue the flute making tradition to this date. He learned that these flutes were used to alter your state of mind by manipulating frequencies simply by shading the finger holes in different increments, creating a sort of dissonance between the two chambers, and modeled the Star Key after these ancient flutes. Pretty fascinating stuff if you are familiar with the science of acoustics.
That sounds awesome. Too bad more isn't revealed today...that'd be an epic Birthday Present...but I can wait until the day after to find out more, I guess... :)

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Mark Chan
20 Dec 2014, 10:46 PM
Haha, I remember the more round prototype that looked like something inappropriate. :evillaugh:
Jajaja, me too.
For those who don't
Edited by TheZ, 21 Dec 2014, 01:30 AM.

gytech
Member Avatar

TheZ
21 Dec 2014, 01:30 AM
Mark Chan
Jajaja, me too.
For those who don't
Posted Image

I'm sorry, I had to. XD

The Doctor
Member Avatar
Actor Writer Whovian Musician Snake Charmer Sword Fighter Genius Ocarina player and humble too
Are there any sound samples of this out there?

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I'm sure archaeologists would be interested in any evidence you have that the Aztecs and Mayans ever visited Amazonia.

I guess the rationale is... Amazon, Maya, Aztecs, Incas, Plains Indians, Inuit, what's the diff.

This kind of brainless exploitative Disneyfication of Native American cultures makes me sick.

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
Mark Chan
this lol. And sorry about that. I tried using it myself and it didn't work, I have no idea why honestly :/

Higbinatr
Musician.
Before spending money, I would like to hear a sound sample :P I may buy one early next year.

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
Anyone heard any sound samples of this yet???

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I am hoping that David or Markos will oblige us by releasing a video demo of the Star Key.

Pretty please guys? :D

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
pandorado100
21 Dec 2014, 09:50 PM
I am hoping that David or Markos will oblige us by releasing a video demo of the Star Key.

Pretty please guys? :D
This...like..yesterday lol O_O

OcarinaDude1
Member Avatar
pop123444
why does this have to look so amazing? i want one now and i might even get this instead of something i was planning to get. love the sun kissed dendrite glaze.
I just can't stop looking at the picture of this ocarina, I'm ordering it Wednesday. I'm excited now
Edited by OcarinaDude1, 22 Dec 2014, 02:49 AM.

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
Its looks so nice. I'd buy one right now, but I wanna hear at least what it sounds like first. They said more would be revealed today, but so far I haven't seen anything :/

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
The case looks like a retainer/mouthguard case.
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by TheZ, 22 Dec 2014, 03:14 AM.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Wollemi Pine
pandorado100

My guess is the technology is called hype. This mysterious item has been added to may products in order to make them sell better over the years.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
I'm all for new Songbird products but..... am I the only one who's a little underwhelmed but it's appearance.... maybe that's just me. :/ I'm with all who want to hear some sound samples. :3

What I'D Like to see is more of their Opal finished Ocarinas *drool* :love:

Vagabond Satyr
Member Avatar
To the moooooooooooon.
I'm a little turned off by the appearance. To me, it kinda looks like a cow tongue. Or a pan-seared chicken breast. I just don't get the "star key", but then again, I don't know a whole lot about "Amazonian musical technology". Therefore, I'm curious to see a video of how it plays and a sound sample!

I do enjoy the art that they've made for it, though. That might be a fun thing to draw... ocarinas and their "personas".

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
I was really hoping that it would resemble a star! However, I do like all three finishes!

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
I'm with Zero and Vagabond, not big on how it looks. Not sure what the deal is with Songbird's harmony ocarinas looking like reproductive organs.

Examples of what I mean
Edited by hylian_shieldmaiden, 23 Dec 2014, 06:44 PM.

LittleMarin
Member Avatar
Marin Musica
hylian_shieldmaiden
22 Dec 2014, 06:59 PM
I'm with Zero and Vagabond, not big on how it looks. Not sure what the deal is with Songbird's harmony ocarinas looking like reproductive organs.

Examples of what I mean
OMG, I am so glad I'm not the only one who thinks they look like that! XD

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
hopefully they get some sound up fast. Im gonna be buying this or their dragontooth in that lovely lustre mosaic...sadly they don't have the strawfire dragontooths anymore :/

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Zero Tolerance
22 Dec 2014, 04:50 AM
I'm all for new Songbird products but..... am I the only one who's a little underwhelmed but it's appearance.... maybe that's just me. :/ I'm with all who want to hear some sound samples. :3
I was considering bringing that up, but I didn't want to sound too derogatory. I was underwhelmed, but my issue wasn't the looks per se. When I saw it, I was more thinking: "What, only four holes (well, maybe two on the back)? That's it? And it's... what... 90-something bucks? What the hell's going on here?" And I'll admit that I'm still sticking to that original sentiment. Some of the finishes look nice, but other than that I can't say I really care for it, from the ridiculous back-story to the price (combined with the maximum of three holes per chamber, by the looks of it). Maybe I'll change my mind when I hear the sound sample and get an idea of how it's supposed to work, but at this point I'm not sure what all the hoopla's about.

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
Yup, 4 holes plus 2 on the back. A lot of hype for something like this. $50 seems more reasonable

Jubal
Member Avatar

I don't see a problem with paying a high price for a pendant if it's high quality. Granted we have yet to hear this one.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
I guess I thought it was a harmony ocarina...

Jubal
Member Avatar

It is, but the gripe was about the number of holes it has. Having more wouldn't necessarily warrant a higher price.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ