Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Budrio Calling contest; Contest for ocarinists
Topic Started: 3 Dec 2014, 10:14 AM (3,785 Views)
pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mark Chan
30 Dec 2014, 01:08 PM
Myles just posted his:
Il Vento

All the entrants so far are TON'ans, haha.
Zomg! Myles hasn't lost his touch with the ocarina despite playing mostly clarinet in the videos I've seen of him lately. That was very impressive. He not only nails the speed and finger runs but he's got the phrasing and intonation down. :nod:

No doubt about it, we have some seriously talented people here on TON.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Tentenguy
30 Dec 2014, 05:05 PM
Well then... those darned italians, making us all look like fools! lol but seriously, I don't think I'd have a chance even if I could re-enter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVkVj9mr97s
and
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=328356584020802
are both so great, I just feel hopeless.
Notice how they both seem to play a soprano ocarina. Soprano has quicker response than alto or tenor, which makes it appropriate ocarina of choice for a fast-paced piece like Il Vento, as the individual notes become clearer and less muddled together than what they would be with a lower pitched ocarina.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I wanted to get a Menaglio Do1 to play it since the sheets say DO1/SC.
I tried playing it on the Takashi 1C, but gave up since it's too low breath for me.
Edited by Mark Chan, 30 Dec 2014, 10:26 PM.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Mark Chan
30 Dec 2014, 06:32 PM
Points at Bat and Suba...
I have to admit though, I'm shaking in my boots after Luca's entry, lol.

I'd probably get a Do1 for this too. My Gosselink might be a good fit for it. I still would prefer to perform Studio 1, though Il Vento seems to be what I'll need to learn if I want to play with the big boys and girls.
Edited by Bateleur, 30 Dec 2014, 10:32 PM.

MylesPrower
Member Avatar
The past is a grotesque animal
Oh, we do have until February?
Hmmm... I'd really like to record on a better ocarina if we have another month. I hope it wouldn't be rude to ask.

Also, thank you all for the kind words.
Edited by MylesPrower, 30 Dec 2014, 11:12 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Watch the victor emerge as a Gerudo Valley player, lol. :rofl:
No matter what piece: as long as you play well; you have a shot.
Edited by Mark Chan, 30 Dec 2014, 11:00 PM.

MylesPrower
Member Avatar
The past is a grotesque animal
Mark Chan
30 Dec 2014, 06:32 PM
Points at Bat and Suba...
Yeah, where's Suba's entry!?
That man is going to KILL IT...

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
MylesPrower
30 Dec 2014, 10:58 PM
Oh, we do have until February?
Hmmm... I'd really like to record on a better ocarina if we have another month. I hope it wouldn't be rude to ask.

Also, thank you all for the kind words.
Your entry is already great. The ocarina didn't feel unfit for the piece in my opinion. You managed to make it work.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Mark Chan
30 Dec 2014, 10:59 PM
Watch the victor emerge as a Gerudo Valley player, lol. :rofl:
That would be me. :evillaugh:

Haha, just kidding, I'm gonna give it my best but I'm not holding my breath. :) I'm gonna wager you need to read sheet music in order to qualify further. :/ :shrug: Oh well, If I don't try, I'll never know If I could win.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Zero Tolerance
31 Dec 2014, 12:06 AM
I'm gonna wager you need to read sheet music in order to qualify further. :/ :shrug:
Some of the world's greatest musicians don't know how to read sheet music. If you can play your piece well without sheets, then more power to you. Sheets are only there to help.

Gerudo Valley is transposed to fit onto a 12-hole C ocarina, but if you have a double, you can play it in another key. I don't think you have to follow the sheets verbatim.

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

Not a cat in hell's chance I'll be able to play any of the 3 pieces of music, so no entry from me xD

Good luck to all participants, and here's hoping the winner is a TONian :P

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Mark Chan
31 Dec 2014, 12:21 AM
Zero Tolerance
31 Dec 2014, 12:06 AM
I'm gonna wager you need to read sheet music in order to qualify further. :/ :shrug:
Some of the world's greatest musicians don't know how to read sheet music. If you can play your piece well without sheets, then more power to you. Sheets are only there to help.

Gerudo Valley is transposed to fit onto a 12-hole C ocarina, but if you have a double, you can play it in another key. I don't think you have to follow the sheets verbatim.
Hehe, I meant to be able to play up on stage with them for what ever piece they plan for the festival. And no, I have no double but I've managed well without one so far. c:

Only real annoyance I'm facing right now is I have no audio converter right now so I can't put Gerudo Valley on my MP3 for practice. :facepalm: I really need to give my bro a "gentle" hint to get that program for me. :paranoid:

TheYusumi
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
only found out about this a few days ago; thought it was over but then they said there was a mix up and entrants had until February. I thought I'd try learning Il Vento for fun (plus it won't leave my head). It's actually not as hard as I thought it would be- still takes a lot of work though XD

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I seems that those who have already entered before the original deadline may have a chance to re-enter. The official page is contacting the entrants now.

Intense
Member Avatar
Bartholomew Kittensworth
Anyone know if David Ramos or Cris entered?

TheYusumi
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Mark Chan
9 Jan 2015, 04:49 PM
I seems that those who have already entered before the original deadline may have a chance to re-enter. The official page is contacting the entrants now.
I hope so, it did strike me as rather unfair for them.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
We still have 2 weeks till the deadline right? :?

I've been working pretty furiously on Gerudo Valley since this start of this whole thing. I've got about 2/3 of it memorized. I'm certainly not going to hold my breath on this but.... :shrug: If you don't try, you don't know, right?

How do you think they'd feel about someone doing their own rhythmic back track. I can't play guitar but I could most definitely use some castanets and a maraca for the Background. :? thoughts

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

The judging is on your ocarina playing. You can use any accompaniment you want; but the important part is your ocarina performance.

Læty
Member Avatar
Tender melody

Speed is above all impressive. I must simply admit that, for me, it is even too fast to listen! I just have listened two speedy performances, I already have an headache... I do not like speed a lot, especially when you tend to sacrifice the style to reach it!

Jack Campin

Doing it as a lazy tropical breeze gently waving the palm trees would be fine.

:manhug:

Indeed, that could be a good rule to break! If Presto is like that, I wonder how you could play Prestissimo. I bet it was created by a joker teacher who wrote that on a music sheet to kill his student.

:nod:

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
I'm gonna wager you absolutely need to play the song at it's pre-assigned tempo?

No loop holes here... :shakefist:

I'm just really struggling with the 3rd section of the song right before it goes back to the beginning. tips? :think:

TheYusumi
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I take it back- Il Vento is a pain in the backside to play. I know all the notes, and I know how it should be played, but will my fingers work that fast? No, apparently they like to be a lazy tropical breeze. Sure, I've only been learning it since the 2nd Jan, but I'm one of those impatient people that wants to be able to play something perfectly within half an hour.

I think it frustrates me more because I'm learning it for myself rather than for the competition (if I get it in time, that would just be an added bonus), because I've always wanted to play something that the Italian guys play.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I was really impressed by the videos of the two little Chinese kids who submitted an entry for the Budrio Calling contest. Man, those little fingers were sure flying!

I'm impressed that there are so many people who are able to handle the really high technical challenge of these song choices for the contest. I'm so not worthy. I'd have to OD on crystal meth to get my fingers to work that fast. LOL

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Zero Tolerance
10 Jan 2015, 07:16 PM
I'm gonna wager you absolutely need to play the song at it's pre-assigned tempo?

No loop holes here... :shakefist:
No; you can play slower.
There were two entries submitted with a slower tempo.

What would really turn heads is if you re-arranged the piece and still make it awesome. I've seen orchestral arrangements of Gerudo Valley played at a much slower tempo than the original. It sounded dramatic.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Well.... playing at a slower tempo enabled me to get my "finger memory" in gear....

And I've still got 2 weeks to noodle around with this... :think: I think I'm going insane... :dead:

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Playing with slow tempo is the fastest way to learn a song.

Læty
Member Avatar
Tender melody

Doing things slowly is often the best way to do them!

Attached to this post:
Attachments: Gaston_Lagaffe__Gomer_Goof_.jpg (70.22 KB)

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Question: sorry for asking so many :shame:

How much editing to you think they allow? As much as needed or would they prefer you be able to do it all in one shot. :? I'm guessing the latter...

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Well... if you're performing on stage, you only get one shot. There's no editing or do-overs in real life.

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

"The video must be one continuos shot (with no editing) showing your live performance.
It's forbidden to overdub or use any other sound effects in post-production.
Any video which doesn't follow these guidelines will be excluded from the contest."
-Directly from the contest kit found here

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Well.... good thing I've been working at this for a month.. -.-;

Then that means you can't overlay supplementary acoustics like castanets or a maracca? .... bugger.... :facepalm: Well, better to ask these things now rather than make myself look like an idiot later. :facepalm:

Thanks again. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Zero Tolerance
14 Jan 2015, 05:24 AM
Well.... good thing I've been working at this for a month.. -.-;

Then that means you can't overlay supplementary acoustics like castanets or a maracca? .... bugger.... :facepalm: Well, better to ask these things now rather than make myself look like an idiot later. :facepalm:

Thanks again. :)
Reiko Souma asked the Budrio Calling contest sponsors if she could use a piano accompaniment in her video. She wanted to use her left hand to play chords. They told her it would be alright but she would only be judged on the ocarina portion of her video.

I should think if they allowed Reiko to use a piano they wouldn't object to your using castanets.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

While overlaying multiple videos of yourself playing multiple instruments is cool for your own channel, I don't think they care for the contest. You can just make a back track and skip filming/editing of extra videos. Keep in mind that this is an ocarina contest. Special effects and overlays are irrelevant. I would also steer clear of adding effects or edits to your audio. No overdubbing your mistakes. No reverb.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Oooookay.... I think I know what to do now.... still... this just got a bit more tricky than I though... I R Dumb :facepalm: Sorry. :shame:

I don't add reverb to my playing anyway.
That's why I play in a unfinished basement and add vibrato to my playing.
Edited by Zero Tolerance, 14 Jan 2015, 05:45 PM.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Well... I finally mustered up the courage to get a FB account and post my Performance. Here's the link. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1382445162064188&oid=633166260115456&saved Please tell me If I posted it to their FB page right. :)

....Just read something in the Contest Package.... What do the mean by this:

"The winner will be hosted at the expense of the organizers for the entire duration of the festival but will be required to pay for his/her travel expenses directly."

How much of the expenses do they actually cover? :? I seriously doubt I could afford to fly from Saskatchewan to Italy and back. -.-; Working on saving my savings for something really important... :giveup:

Also, is it really mandatory to invite a FB friend to enter? If so, How and Who?
Edited by Zero Tolerance, 24 Jan 2015, 08:32 PM.

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
@Zero
The contest pdf said this:

"In terms of your travel expenses to Budrio, fear not, the Ocarina is a lucky instrument!
We have plenty of friends and supporters willing to provide a contribution for you to get
back and forth from Budrio."

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Ah, Okay, now I'm less worried. -.-;

Can you at least tell me if I posted it correctly to their Page? :3

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
I see it there.

TheYusumi
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
That sounded awesome, Zero!

Edit: Just posted my own, rather poor attempt at Il Vento. It was far too early for me to record it, really, but I've got lots of stuff to do this month. Still, it was fun to learn and just proved to me that complicated music isn't so far out of my reach.

Edit Edit: Blooper here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHCXeJTERc&feature=youtu.be
Edited by TheYusumi, 25 Jan 2015, 05:25 PM.

Jem21797
Member Avatar
Euphonium Enthusiast Extraordinare
Does anyone still have the sheet music to "Il Vento"? The Contest kit link is down unfortunately.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
I have a copy of it that I could upload if you'd like.

(edit: At least I think I do... I'll look and upload it tomorrow or something if I have it.)
Edited by Amerred, 28 Aug 2017, 01:01 AM.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Hey, here's the music.

Page 1

Page 2

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ