Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Robert Mirabal Ocarinas; Native American Flute and Ocarina Maker
Topic Started: 13 Nov 2014, 10:37 PM (909 Views)
Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I went to a Native American Flute circle last night; and the organizer (who's also a maker) provided me with a lot of information since I was just getting started. Anyways, I told him that I play ocarinas; and he told me that Robert Mirabal's brother makes ocarinas. I searched for Robert Mirabal; and discovered that he makes ocarinas too. Here's a link to his ocarina shop. There are even some made with actual box turtles! Searching around, I found that his uncle Tony made ocarinas using horse hair for the designs.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carbon

Cool. They're very rustic, but they seem very pricey. Do you know if they follow the Taylor fingering system?

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I don't know; but looking at the size of the holes, it may be the same or similar.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Those are mighty interesting... They are awfully expensive, but they look really nice. I wonder how they play.

sunyajohn
Beginner
Hi, one of my most beloved instruments was a 5" horse hair pottery ocarina made by Tony Mirabal, which I bought from him about 10 years ago at the Taos Pueblo. Sadly, a couple months ago the strap broke and the ocarina fell and smashed on a hard floor, unrepairable. I used this ocarina for ceremony, meditation, and invocations. I am heartbroken. I have learned that Tony has sadly passed on. So I am have been trying to look into his nephew Robert's work, but his website is infected with malware. Most of all I am hoping to find someone with a Tony-made ocarina who is not using it, and would be willing to sell to me. A way to contact Robert would also be helpful. Thank you.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

This might help. Robert Mirabal's flutes are sold here:

http://www.oregonflutestore.com/home/ofs2/page_336_68/robert_mirabal_pueblo_flute.html

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Lol, reading this post now, I have to say that the box turtle ocarinas are made from resin molds and just stylized as turtles. No actual box turtles were harmed in making the ocarinas. I've played one of my friend's box turtle ocarinas from Robert. I've also played one of the horse hair ones made by Tony. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ