Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
World Ocarina Day (Dec. 2nd)
Topic Started: 13 Nov 2014, 09:11 PM (2,283 Views)
DavidRamos
Member Avatar

Per our recent discussions regarding World Ocarina Day, most of us agreed that the birthday of ocarina inventor, Giuseppe Donati, would be a great day to celebrate our favorite instrument. I plan to release our "Hometown" collab on Dec 2nd (which will now most likely be called "Ocarina Road"), but what are some ways that we can celebrate the day and invite others to do likewise?
Edited by DavidRamos, 13 Nov 2014, 09:12 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carbon

Cool. I'm glad the December 2nd thing caught on. Cris and I have been talking about that for ages.

I don't think we should dictate when "World Ocarina Day" will be. I think including all of the other communities in that conversation makes much more sense. Even though we all may think it is a good idea to have a World Ocarina Day, I think celebrating Dec 2nd as Donati's birthday is perfect. It gives us all a perfect opportunity to share information about ocarina history.

My idea:
A social media campaign where we all change our profile photo to Donati and update the photo text to talk about him and the ocarina. We could work out the text here and make a call to action so that others will make the change and share it as well.

DavidRamos
Member Avatar

carbon
13 Nov 2014, 09:43 PM
I don't think we should dictate when "World Ocarina Day" will be. I think including all of the other communities in that conversation makes much more sense. Even though we all may think it is a good idea to have a World Ocarina Day, I think celebrating Dec 2nd as Donati's birthday is perfect. It gives us all a perfect opportunity to share information about ocarina history.
No one said anything about dictating, lol. I was simply looking for suggestions on how we can invite others to participate, especially those less involved in the ocarina community since I was planning to make a video as well.

One idea I had was to challenge ocarinists to learn a simple classical/operatic piece since that was Donati's preferred genre of music for the ocarina. Education about ocarina history and classical music...two birds with one stone :D
Edited by DavidRamos, 13 Nov 2014, 09:59 PM.

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

carbon
13 Nov 2014, 09:43 PM
Cool. I'm glad the December 2nd thing caught on. Cris and I have been talking about that for ages.

My idea:
A social media campaign where we all change our profile photo to Donati and update the photo text to talk about him and the ocarina. We could work out the text here and make a call to action so that others will make the change and share it as well.
I am all for this

carbon

lol... when I said dictate I meant us telling the world when the" World Ocarina Day" will be nothing more.

A classical piece is a good idea. I wonder if we could get our hands on some of Donati's original compositions for the ocarina. I'll contact Emiliano and Fabio.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I've added this to the TON Calendar.

carbon

carbon
13 Nov 2014, 10:10 PM
A classical piece is a good idea. I wonder if we could get our hands on some of Donati's original compositions for the ocarina. I'll contact Emiliano and Fabio.

So none of Donati's compositions have survived... how sad. I'm checking to see if there are any other options. I'll post when I know more.

On a related note : December 2nd is Fabio Galliani's daughter's birthday AND Fabio Menaglio's birthday. Remember this! It'll be a trivia questions one day :D
Edited by carbon, 13 Nov 2014, 10:55 PM.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Jon, I will play Happy Birthday on my Menaglio on December 2nd!

carbon

lol.. I was thinking about doing the same thing!

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Note to self: Play some Beethoven along with Christmas busking this year... :giggle: If people ask what I'm doing, mesmerize them with Ocarina history.... then tell them about my favorite Ocarina vendors. :rofl:

Obsidian
5 bananas
What about an informative campaign for general ocarina awareness, in addition to the profile idea? Someone could create a graphic or copy/paste text outlining the basics of the ocarina, such as history and how they actually exist. Similar to "fun fact" posts.

Basically what carbon said, but more focused on mass sharing, and it might be easier to spread across websites like Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Can anybody say ocarina cookies? Any cake decorators in the house, also? :D

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
Well, sorta. I'm trying to learn cake decorating at my job...

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Oh gosh! You work in a Bakery Carmelita?!?! :jumpy: :eager: That is so COOL!!! Ocarina Cake for everyone!!!! :playoc:

And think, I work on a farm that would produce the things you need for that bakery! ;) ..... actually, I don't know how good a beef steak would taste with Chocolate cake :lmao: Perhaps carrot cake? c:
I'm hoping to get into goats next year. Cattle are getting crazy expensive. :nope:

I think I'm just gonna play more ocarina than usual during Christmas time in the city this year. :music:

J-Manix98
Member Avatar
Artist, and musician ;)
At six o'clock pm everyone should play happy birthday on their oc.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Social media is a great way to spread stuff. If people made little fun fact posters, that would be really cool.

JOJ650s
Member Avatar
Not quite as emoticon crazy
Getting Google to do a doodle for Giuseppe Donati's Birthday would be quite neat.

stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
wait does the date change every year?

OcarinaDude1
Member Avatar
pop123444
No, they only changed it because December 2nd is Giuseppe Donati's birthday.
Edited by OcarinaDude1, 2 May 2015, 08:38 PM.

TheMusiciansApprentice
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
I found some pretty cool social media information / sites last semester during my writing in the workplace / social media class! C: What kind of information would we like to have on infographics / shareable images? :3

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

World Ocarina Day is coming!

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
I'm ashamed to admit, I almost forgot about this. :/

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I don't the date has been officially adopted. David was pushing for it, and having it on Donati's birthday..

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I like October better for celebrating ocarinas because it's too darned cold where I live to go outdoors in December and play the ocarina.

Although Zero Tolerance seems to relish playing her ocarinas outside surrounded by mounds of snow. She's a hardy, pioneer gal from Saskatchewan. :rofl:

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 3
Cool, didn't know Donati had the same bday as me.... and I got an ocarina for my bday too! :-)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina News and Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ