Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What else do you play?
Topic Started: 10 Nov 2014, 08:16 PM (5,067 Views)
Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
My mom found this instrument and gave it to me. I can play it, but I don't know what it is. Has anyone else seen anything like it before? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3z69e1CUAEV0Um.jpg:large
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Traeak
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
in order of proficiency: voice, piano, ukulele, electric bass.

I've been working on playing my xaphoon of late, playing along with my daughter who's learning piano. The finger holes have wierd spacing, that's the current biggest challenge on that thing. embrocure is coming along as well.

If the key signature starts getting crazy I'll pull out my zelda double and play with that.

There's no faster way to train your ocarina ear than by playing with someone else who's on an always in tune instrument.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Kitten Forest, your oddball whistle looks to me to be in the same family as this:

http://www.sheerfolk.com.ar/harjedalspipa-a-swedish-folk-fipple-flute-part-1/

I think it's something Scandiwegian.

Gabbb
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Hello everybody, sorry for reviving an old post like this, but does anyone of you play a Bawu? I was interested in trying a cheap version of it.. Yeah i know everything that has the word cheap shouldn't be buyed.. but anyway, do you know anything about the quality of the instrument from this seller? http://www.redmusicshop.com/Bawu/Quality%20Purple%20Bamboo%20Bawu%20Flute
Or else, do you have any idea of an affordable/ok playing Bawu? Thanks

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I bought an erhu from Red Music Shop before. I think the erhu is good, but then again, I don't know enough to really know if it's good or not. I think they are a reliable store, since they answered all my questions in a timely manner, and I got my stuff within two weeks upon ordering. I will probably buy a hulusi and dizi from them in the near future.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I have ordered ocarinas from a store on eBay called Sound of Mountain. They also carry traditional Chinese instruments such as guzheng, dizi and pipa. I've found them very reliable with orders.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/sound-of-mountain?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I can absolutely recommend redmusicshop.com.
The xun I bought from them is a high class instrument, and shipping was quite inexpensive.
The bawu is an instrument I don't understand. I thought free vibrating metal reeds would always dominate the pitch but th bawu seems to be an exception to this rule.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

There is a bit more to go wrong with a bawu and it's less obvious how to fix it. I'd ask them about after-sales service.

Gabbb
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Mmmh does anyone of you know one of the sellers here on Aliexpress? the site doesn't give me that much trust, but some bawus seem identical to those on redmusic shop, but the price is way lower, even for a double one.. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=bawu&origin=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150703010107

Dries
On sick leave
Gabbb
3 Jul 2015, 10:20 AM
Mmmh does anyone of you know one of the sellers here on Aliexpress? the site doesn't give me that much trust, but some bawus seem identical to those on redmusic shop, but the price is way lower, even for a double one.. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=bawu&origin=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150703010107
That's the big question. This day it is just a fact that a lot of stuff is made in china and then sold to different companys. Than it's sold on and so on. This makes the price go a lot higher. But if you can buy them closer to the comapny who makes them it can be a lot cheaper. Allibaba and Aliexpress both offer these items almost right from the source. But they have a lot of knock-offs too. So there is really no way to know.

Dries

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

That page has a bunch of the really cheap and nasty Zelda ocarina knock-offs along with the cheap bawus. Not promising.

tomascal
Beginner
I play the bagpipes, the modern flute, the old style (Irish) flute, The Chinese flute, the tin whistle, and various NA flutes. I've just started the ocarina, which I know I'm going to enjoy. All of these were post retirement projects begun over a decade ago.

Gabbb
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
tomascal
3 Jul 2015, 11:00 PM
I play the bagpipes, the modern flute, the old style (Irish) flute, The Chinese flute, the tin whistle, and various NA flutes. I've just started the ocarina, which I know I'm going to enjoy. All of these were post retirement projects begun over a decade ago.
Wow, with that background I'm sure you'll easily rock with it in no time.. Hope you got yourself a nice piece..

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I have just had the smaller of my two cumbuses restored, by a local retired stonemason who has taken up banjo making and repairing from his garden shed machine shop. It doesn't sound very different from the way it did before - maybe a bit more solid and powerful - but it looks shinier than it can have done for 50 years.

http://www.campin.me.uk/Music/Cumbus/

As I say there, my take on the logo is that the unusual small size like that was intended as a school instrument, around 1950. The prospect of facing a classful of them would have had most teachers rushing to transfer to some quieter occupation like industrial welding or artillery soldiering. They didn't catch on.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
@ Jack

Looking at your cumbus and mandolin pictures, I was thinking that while I wouldn't be able to play a Turkish banjo I could certainly have your adorable moggies purring in no time. I am very skilled at cat massaging. :)

Member Avatar
I have a knack for figuring out how to play instruments within a few hours since I can read Treble, Bass and Alto clef so and have experience with brass, strings, and woodwinds so its pretty much just finger patterns I need to memorize so I really play anything except for instruments that are not arranged like a common woodwind or brass instrument. but the piano and oboe are the ones I've played my whole life.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Comment to me in a pub session tonight: "you're trying to make sure you have more instruments in that bag than everyone else in the room put together, aren't you?"

It only had about 8 recorders, 4 whistles, 6 ocarinas, 2 clarinets and a washboard. And the cumbus was in a separate case so it didn't count. Honest, officer.
Edited by Jack Campin, 16 Aug 2015, 06:17 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Jack Campin
6 Jul 2015, 02:12 AM
Comment to me in a pub session toinight: "you're trying to make sure you have more instruments in that bag than everyone else in the room put together, aren't you?"

It only had about 8 recorders, 4 whistles, 6 ocarinas, 2 clarinets and a washboard. And the cumbus was in a separate case so it didn't count. Honest, officer.
Your pub session fan should have seen the lineup of ocarinas and NAFs that was present at the recent East Coast Ocarina Meetup that was held in Baltimore MD on July 3rd. Maybe Mark will share his pictures. :)

bowwing333
Member Avatar
Was Lost but now am Found
Any brass, minus french horn. any woodwind, minus the double reed instruments. I play percussion now for the municipal band. I can play violin, and double bass, piano, guitar/bass, harmonica, accordion.... I just love music, and was lucky to have a band instructor that allowed me to take home whatever instrument I wanted to practice, family that supported and pushed me, and no friends, internet, or video games to distract me from my pursuits.

ubizmo

Tin whistle dominates these days, for the simple reason that that's how I can best get out and make music with other musicians. I still play the ocarina very frequently on my own, but the only time I get to perform with it is at the occasional open mic. Learning session music for the whistle, on the other hand, is a lifelong project, and I started late!

I always take a low and a high D whistle to sessions. If there's one or more other high D whistles there, I switch to the low D and play that all night. It's easier on everyone's ears, including my own. In practice, that means that I end up playing low whistle about 90% of the time, since lots of people bring high D whistles to sessions, but very few bring low whistles.

There are a few session tunes that I can do on the ocarina, so I'll switch to it once in a while.

And a few times a year, I take the sax to open mic.

wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
I play Viola and mess around with the recorder.
I used to play piano, but thb I thought it was so boring I quit.

Dries
On sick leave
I don't play anything else. But I would love to learn to play bamboo sax.

Dries

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

ubizmo
6 Jul 2015, 07:15 PM
Tin whistle dominates these days, for the simple reason that that's how I can best get out and make music with other musicians. I still play the ocarina very frequently on my own, but the only time I get to perform with it is at the occasional open mic. Learning session music for the whistle, on the other hand, is a lifelong project, and I started late!

I always take a low and a high D whistle to sessions. If there's one or more other high D whistles there, I switch to the low D and play that all night. It's easier on everyone's ears, including my own. In practice, that means that I end up playing low whistle about 90% of the time, since lots of people bring high D whistles to sessions, but very few bring low whistles.

There are a few session tunes that I can do on the ocarina, so I'll switch to it once in a while.

And a few times a year, I take the sax to open mic.
It took a while (about a year...), but the regulars at the local irish session are slowly warming up to the ocarina. Really need to create some sets for it as the typical ones, you only get one or two tunes that work.

Recently I've been playing a bass D ocarina quite a bit, and just playing harmonies over tunes. In the trad bands I've heard this isn't an uncommon practice as in a set, each tune is often 'lead' by a different band member, and the others play long harmony notes.
Jack Campin
6 Jul 2015, 02:12 AM
Comment to me in a pub session toinight: "you're trying to make sure you have more instruments in that bag than everyone else in the room put together, aren't you?"

Thought I was doing well with 3 to 4 ocarinas and a flute.
Edited by Robert Hickman, 7 Jul 2015, 10:35 PM.

stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
My voice. I'm an alto :)

Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
Where words fail, music speaks!
The instrument I play besides ocarina is a Kalimba. Made by Hugh Tracey.
I tuned mine to the key of E melodic minor. It has a very beautiful and relaxing sound :3
Lately I have been thinking about learning to play the Harp.
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Turtlewalker, 14 Jul 2015, 10:40 PM.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
One of the other instruments that I play is a melodica. I just picked it up at a yard sale last month, and trying to find a complete history on it is proving far more difficult than ever.

Since I'm on my phone and can't really post a picture of it, I'll describe it: it's a black alto twenty-key piano format made by Hohner in Germany. It sounds like a mix between an accordion and a harmonica, although those with no ear for music might mistake the sound for a brass or string instrument. There's a handle in the back where you put four fingers between it and the melodica, and your thumb is the support. The mouthpiece is a plastic piece that's directly attached to the instrument, rather than attached by a tube. The spit valve is emptied by pushing a tiny round metal button.

It's old. It's clearly older than me, but it was definitely worth the $15USD investment because it came with a red leather bound carrying case, an extra unused mouthpiece, the instruction sheets, and song sheets from a music bar that the original owner performed at in my hometown.

If anybody knows anything about how old my melodica might be, then that would be awesome. Of course, I understand that a photo will help and will try to post one the next time I'm able to sit at my tablet. I've e-mailed the company and am under the impression that I've either stumped them, or they just forgot about my e-mail. XD

Edit: I can't tell whose it is, but somebody's post or photo is stretching the page on my phone. I just thought I'd point that out.
Edited by Reiko Souma, 16 Aug 2015, 01:29 PM.

Nafaei
Member Avatar
A figment of your imagination...
Although I'm a bit out of practice, I have experience with piano, french horn, and ukulele :) I would be able to play most brass instruments if I could get my hands on them. Unfortunately, I don't come across quality instruments often :/ At one point, I did try to play the fife, but that has mainly become a decoration on my wall.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I came back from Hungary last week with a tilinko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45FtoEnK7NM

which takes some getting your head around (to play a scale you alternate between notes with the end open and closed, blowing both at several different breath pressures to get different harmonics).

And a tarogato:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v41_YMwpO8M

which is a lot easier (it's basically a rather temperamental wooden soprano sax).

Something I have so far got nowhere with is the Catalan flabiol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuqLrT47qs

which is far louder than the loudest soprano ocarina - I can only practice with earplugs.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
The tarogato seems like a good fit with klezmer music. It has some of the same qualities of a clarinet. Are you planning on introducing it during your pub sessions, Jack? I'd like to hear a recording sometime since dropping by Edinburgh is a bit out of my way. :)

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
In my opinion most players in folk music don't outbild the tonal potential of the tarogato.
It often sounds shawm-like and shrill, perhaps because its ancestors were double reed instruments. (As a single reed instrument it is younger than the ocarina.)
But there are at least two players that do justice to its full expressiveness, György Laszlo KIss and Zoltan Erdö:
https://youtu.be/pt4QCGhD0gM
https://youtu.be/_L14bf32iGQ

Edited by Claytone, 17 Aug 2015, 08:26 AM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I got a CD of György Laszlo Kiss from the same place I got the tarogato. Lovely stuff (I must have a go at those Pindar songs when my harpist pal gets back to Scotland) but in places he sounds so refined you think "why doesn't he just play an oboe?". What I like about the tarogato is its dual personality, folksy and sophisticated at the same time.

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Folksy and sophisticated, that could be a characterisation of Zoltan Grunza's (what a name!) tarogato playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5oqr1cbJaw

Peter Brötzmann's free jazz tarogato is non-refined but needs getting used to.
https://youtu.be/jpqkEV9KSnY

Shemeikka
Beginner
I play kanteles. I have an 11-string and a 36-string. If you don't know what it sounds like, here's a tune we played on a kantele workshop a few months ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3doy296epgdapvf/grannas%20bastu%20%21%21.m4a?dl=0

I also play a little bit of soprano and tenor recorders. I have an alto too but I haven't played it much. And I almost forgot my Russian accordion! I can play only a couple of songs with it.

Maxxiliv Enna Mikaelson
Member Avatar
Fiery Ocarinist
Before I started playing ocarina I have little experience with an acoustic guitar. I own a Fender and sad to say I haven't really played it in a while. I bet its out of tune and the strings might need to be replaced. I do plan on getting back into guitar playing later in the future.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Hayley.jpg (144.47 KB)
Edited by Maxxiliv Enna Mikaelson, 29 May 2016, 10:03 PM.

CKeene
Member Avatar
Lion Tamer
My expertise is in xiao flute, both tang style and modern. I started on and continue to play Boehm Concert flute, Alto & Bass flute, shakuhachi, dizi, bawu, whistles, recorders, Anasazi & NAF flutes, quena, of course ocarinas, and pretty much any other flute that exists.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I play xiao, dizi, Irish whistle, recorder, Native American flute, and Chinese style NAF with Hulusi fingering. I also play ukulele.

Looking into getting a suona and guanzi in near the future.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

Looking into getting a suona

...and a new set of neighbours.

Pori
Member Avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Saxophone, clarinet, french horn, tuba, recorder...

yordan
Member Avatar
total amateur
I can play also harp and recorder, but what I really play more than ocarina is electric guitar. I just love the ocarina sound, but I find the e-guitar the ultimate music instrument for me - it is so versatile, you can really play eveything on it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Instruments And Music · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ