Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What else do you play?
Topic Started: 10 Nov 2014, 08:16 PM (4,925 Views)
Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

What other instruments can you play besides ocarina?

I play boehm system flute, and started 'messing around' with fiddle in the last few months. Also started learning 'French style' bagpipes but don't have a set at the moment.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I just started playing Native American Flute this past weekend. I like it. But for the music I want to play, I wish there were flutes tuned to pentatonic major scale though. I'm sure they exist. I haven't really searched.
Edited by Mark Chan, 10 Nov 2014, 08:24 PM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

I wish there were flutes tuned to pentatonic major scale though.

I think that's what the "Choroi" used by the Steiner/Waldorf schools is. I tried one once and hated it.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Jack Campin
10 Nov 2014, 08:26 PM
I think that's what the "Choroi" used by the Steiner/Waldorf schools is. I tried one once and hated it.
I searched for videos on YouTube, and they seem pretty cool. :)

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

Mark Chan
10 Nov 2014, 08:21 PM
I just started playing Native American Flute this past weekend. I like it. But for the music I want to play, I wish there were flutes tuned to pentatonic major scale though. I'm sure they exist. I haven't really searched.
What's the tradition of the music behind them and how are they tuned? Is it standardized or vary between makers?

Don't remember running into one in the UK, guess it hasn't spread much beyond America yet.

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Digital-piano/synthesizer, recorder, and barely tranverse flute.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I dabble a bit on the tin whistle, native flute, dizi and bawu. I have a pan flute, but I don't think I'll ever get the hang of it. Most of my native flutes are tuned to a minor pentatonic scale, but I also have one that is tuned to a Persian scale, and another one called an Akebono flute that sounds like traditional Japanese music. They're both a lot of fun to improv with.
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 10 Nov 2014, 08:50 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Robert Hickman
10 Nov 2014, 08:35 PM
What's the tradition of the music behind them and how are they tuned? Is it standardized or vary between makers?

Don't remember running into one in the UK, guess it hasn't spread much beyond America yet.
The one I have is tuned to pentatonic A minor. Other tunings are generally in minor scales for the fingering system that my flute uses. I have the one where the left ring finger stays down.

There are different types of flutes that use a different system and scale too. I don't know too much about those.

I'll bring one with me to Budrio. :)
Edited by Mark Chan, 10 Nov 2014, 08:44 PM.

Lydia Sanders
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I play recorders and I guess I play the ukulele too. It's been quite awhile since I spent much time with it and I've been thinking about selling it (not the one in my profile pic---got rid of that one a long time ago), but thus far I've been too lazy to get a listing up anywhere. :o What I like about playing both the recorder and the ocarina is that even when I play one exclusively for quite awhile, when I come back to the other, I don't seem to have lost too much skill, unlike the ukulele which is inherently pretty different. Thinking I might pick up a tin whistle soon. :D
Edited by Lydia Sanders, 10 Nov 2014, 08:49 PM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I play a lot of things (described them elsewhere) but my latest project is a very cheap Turkish cumbus-bodied mandolin, retuned the same way as the violin in Arabic music (G,DGd) - sounds much better with the open strings ringing in fifths. I got the idea after finding a tutor for the Arabic violin on the web. I'm just taking the bowing directions as instructions for pick direction. It's a heck of a good tutor, the exercises look dead easy but you soon find out different when you actually try to do them.

Rughead
Member Avatar
cheap cracked plastic pendant Ocarinist x 3
I play the euphonium, many kinds of flutes, bamboo sax, a little of the pan flute, very little of several kinds of harmonicas, some recorder, and my Irish whistles.

I have more types of flutes than I can possibly remember the names of. Crystal, wood, stone, etc. Many I purchased from:

http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/

Erik only sells a few types now compared to all the types he used to sell. I'm really not that great at any of the instruments I have. :) Just discovered the ocarina this last February. Now I have at least 10 of them. I really like the ocarina. So many different kinds, and so easy to carry around with you. Much easier than my euphonium!! :) I have many, many harmonicas if anyone is looking for one. :) Oh, I also have a giant flute. I mean it is big! I can only play a few notes before having to take another breath. Usually only 3 notes. A great lung workout. :) Hmm, I also have a concertina, a violin, a pocket trumpet, a slide whistle...and whatever else I am unable to remember at present. Hardly ever play the last set I just mentioned. No one has ever showed me a thing concerning the violin, so really never got started on it. I bought it for my daughter anyway, but she never plays it. Oh, I also have an organ, digital keyboard, and a melodica. I think that is about it. I need to have a yard sale?? :)

Curtis

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

@Gyzyn What kinds of things do you like to play on them?

@Ocarinadiva Had completely forgotten about the bawu, they have an unusual tonal character that sounds distinctly 'Chinese' to me. Do the overblown notes need unusual fingerings? wikipedia suggests that they have an unusual harmonic series. The NAF does appear to be a mainly improv-based tradition. Having the selection of scales must give a lot of freedom to tonal character.

@Mark Chan Minor pentatonic is good, it's used a lot in guitar improv. Will be good to see one in person.

@mssnrygrl Why not give the uke another chance? It is really useful to have something to acompny yourself, even if it's just basic strumming. If you learn how chords and melodies relate, it's not so different. Being able to think relitive to chords is actually verry useful to transfer back to melody instruments as it helps with improvising.

@jack You mean having notes duplicated on open strings? And what looks easy often isn't. Where is this tutor?

@Rughead no harm in playing lots of instruments, I find it useful to do so as it gives you a different perspective on things which may then be applied to your 'main' instrument. Would that be the euphonium? I haven't found the fiddle as 'insanely difficult' as it's often made out to be, as long as you have a good sense of pitch you should be able to figure out where the notes are. Also there is a lot of info on youtube.
Edited by Robert Hickman, 10 Nov 2014, 10:09 PM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Yep, the sound of that mandolin is rather too clangorous tuned the standard way. The effect of lowering the pitch of the upper two strings helps, as well as the greater consonance.

I posted links to the tutor here:

http://thesession.org/discussions/28869

It's not very long and it's nearly all notation, the fact that the text is in Arabic (which I don't read) makes very little difference.

I've never heard of anybody else from any tradition using that tuning on the mando, though the South Indian classical mandolinist U Srinivas uses a five-string extension of it (single courses, fretless). I might get round to defretting it someday.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Robert Hickman
10 Nov 2014, 10:02 PM
@Mark Chan Minor pentatonic is good, it's used a lot in guitar improv. Will be good to see one in person.
I was literally just improving to blues guitar backtrack; and it sounds so awesome!
I'm playing different types of music now, so it's a good thing. :)
I originally wanted to play traditional Chinese music; but the NAF opened up my perspective.

Gnomeish
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I have a soprano uke and an acoustic guitar; neither of which I can actually play much of anything on. I like the idea of a string instrument, but in practice it's just not my thing.

I also have a couple tin whistles that I adore. I love to improve on my ghost whistle and it has such a unique sound to it. They make me want to learn how to play an actual flute, but the tin whistle's price is just a *tad* bit more in my range ;)

I've also wanted a kalimba for ages now. Again, a little too pricey for me.
Edited by Gnomeish, 10 Nov 2014, 10:40 PM.

Lydia Sanders
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Robert Hickman
@mssnrygrl Why not give the uke another chance? It is really useful to have something to acompny yourself, even if it's just basic strumming. If you learn how chords and melodies relate, it's not so different. Being able to think relitive to chords is actually verry useful to transfer back to melody instruments as it helps with improvising.
I've been playing it off and on for maybe three and a half years now. It might be useful yet, but I'm kind of obsessive about cleaning out my stuff when I don't use them for a long time and playing music is kind of a secondary hobby for me anyway. Recently I've been working on cleaning out my hobbies as well and trimming back on things that I'm not passionate about, like I put all of the potted plants on my porch up for adoption and gave away my bizarre collection of secondhand gardening books. Gardening isn't bad or useless, but for me it just wasn't worth the time and energy that I could have been putting into something else that I care about more. I'm prone to collecting random cool hobbies to the point that I can't put as much energy as I want into the things that really matter to me or I get super distracted or something. It's like people tell me "it'll just take ten minutes a day to do X" and I'm like "Oh, I can do that," and then all of those little ten minute things add up and cause more bad than good overall. Maybe I'm not making any sense here, but I tried. :3
Gnomeish
10 Nov 2014, 10:40 PM
I like the idea of a string instrument, but in practice it's just not my thing.
Haha. Me too. I'm not bad at ukulele but it just isn't my cup of tea. I've come to the conclusion that the thing that draws me to instruments like the ukulele and the guitar aren't the instruments themselves, but that you can sing while playing them. Though weirdly enough I find that I'm most likely to pull out my uke when I'm sick and can't play fipple flutes because of coughing...which is when I can't really sing without coughing either.
Edited by Lydia Sanders, 10 Nov 2014, 11:14 PM.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Other than ocarina, I play durbakke (a.k.a. darbuka/doumbek). Both my ocarina and durbakke playing could use some work, but it's hard to practice either when your family would prefer the house was quiet. I could go out in the backyard, but I'd rather the neighbours didn't overhear me, even if I went waaay out to the very back of our property away from the houses.

I also noodle around a bit on tin whistle (have one in D and one in C, but I like the D whistle far better), recorder, and dizi, but have very little skill on any of those things.

I own a qanun, but haven't been able to play it yet because I need a new set of tuning pegs for it, and finding qanun teachers requires a 1+hour drive. I'm dying to buy and learn to play a nay, but haven't been having much luck finding a decent one for sale, or local/online players to ask about buying one; any emails I've sent out about it so far have been ignored, or unsuccessful. The one place I've found that actively sells what seems to be decent nays hasn't got them in a tuning I'd like yet, and they're charging a bit much for them, but I think I might just give in at some point and get one from there...
Edited by hylian_shieldmaiden, 11 Nov 2014, 12:02 AM.

JOJ650s
Member Avatar
Not quite as emoticon crazy
I play the piano/keyboard, and while I haven't quite started yet, I plan on playing the dizi and also the concert flute since I was given one. (just need to replace the pads is all.)
I would also love to learn the violin, but I don't see myself starting to learn it in the near future.

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

@mssnrygrl Rather the same myself, at least in the sense of getting distracted *really* easily. Don't tend to stick with anything unless something beyond myself effectively forces me to. Not that I don't enjoy things, mainly because I find everything interesting.

@hylian any time you can practice when they arn't around?

@joj650s Get someone who knows what they are doing to repad the flute, learning to play on an 'iffy' instrument isn't a good idea.

JOJ650s
Member Avatar
Robert Hickman
11 Nov 2014, 12:15 AM
@joj650s Get someone who knows what they are doing to repad the flute, learning to play on an 'iffy' instrument isn't a good idea.
Haha yeah, for sure.
Fortunately I know someone who's quite experienced with that. :D

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Repadding flutes is REALLY expensive, much more than most other woodwinds.

Unless it's a good one, it's more cost-effective just to buy another flute.

carbon

My primary instrument is the handpan (aka "Hang Drum") but in addition to the ocarina - I tinker around with the NAF, melodica, uke, guitar, synth (I'm not good enough to say piano), udu, cajon, and asalato. I've tried to play bones and spoons, but they're pretty loud and I'm not confident with them. I like hand percussion and am really enjoying asalato.

Higbinatr
Musician.
My primary instruments are the clarinet family. I also play a lot of other instruments, brass, strings, percussion, woodwinds.

JOJ650s
Member Avatar
Jack Campin
11 Nov 2014, 12:33 AM
Repadding flutes is REALLY expensive, much more than most other woodwinds.

Unless it's a good one, it's more cost-effective just to buy another flute.
Ah, good to know.
I'll definitely do a lot of research then, thanks!

Member Avatar
I play pretty much every classical woodwind and brass instrument that would be in a wind symphony and dabble in percussion.

Poc
Member Avatar
Ocarinist
I play guitar, but I don't think I'm very good at it and would really like to improve. I also would love to learn piano someday. I played a little when I was much younger but never moved beyond beginner music. Hoping to have more time for these kinds of things once I finish my graduate degree!

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Robert Hickman
@Gyzyn What kinds of things do you like to play on them?
On my synthesizer mostly some romantic stuff, movie/video games music, and very occasionally beginner classical. On my woodwinds I just play whatever I like at the moment if it's not too hard for me.

zegamax
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I am currently learning to play the Quena flute C: and ocarina :3 .. The Quena flute is very difficult because I had never played a wind instrument from that level.

William Paaso
Triple Ocarinist
Actioally my main instrument is Piano.. That is the instrument i can play best. Im currently on a Music school in Stockholm and im so pumped aboute my concert on 23 of November. Im going to start a youtube channel after Christmas if you want to listen!

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Robert Hickman
11 Nov 2014, 12:15 AM
@hylian any time you can practice when they arn't around?
I do occasionally get the house to myself, and definitely use those opportunities to practice :)

Spacefood
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I play guitar and bass, I used to play mandolin a bit too, but haven't done that in a while - May be time to dust it off! Also noodle about on recorder and tin whistle.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Mark Chan
10 Nov 2014, 08:21 PM
Mark, you may not have found flutopedia.com yet. I forwarded the last email newsletter to you, it discussed pentatonic major scales (not instruments tuned that way, but how you play a standard 6 hole NAF to obtain a variety of scales).
I play, and have played for 50+ years, guitar, electric bass and recorder. I also now play my Becker whistles (high D, high C, alto G, and low D), getting better at it all the time. I have, but would not say I play (rather play around with) a mandolin, a Native American flute, a melodica and a washboard!
I play, and have played for 50+ years, guitar, electric bass and recorder. I also now play my Becker whistles (high D, high C, alto G, and low D), getting better at it all the time. I have, but would not say I play (rather play around with) a mandolin, a Native American flute, a melodica and a washboard!
Edited by Pat Anderson, 12 Nov 2014, 04:56 AM.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I guess I am musically deprived the only other thing I play is the harmonica. I have noodled a bit on the recorder, and I tried the plastic version of the xaphoon with no luck.

I have looked at a that guy on TV that sells lead sheet piano lessons a few times but never took the bait. I have always loved the piano but never could quite figure it out.

NinjaCurlyfry
Member Avatar
Beginner
Well, my main instrument is piano. Next comes ocarina, then drums. I also play many other instrument such as dizi, some recorder, a bit of guitar, a bit of mandolin, and lots of other percussion instruments. I am also learning the violin. I'm not very good, but at least good enough to record a bit. ^-^ Really though, it all stems from learning piano. After playing piano since I was younger, I learned about rhythm (drumming). I also did theory which helped a bit with time signature and understanding what music is, but with every other instrument besides piano and guitar, I have learned them by ear. I would play what sounds good to me. I would pick out songs from video games and play them.

lakilester5626
Member Avatar
Undecuple Ocarinist
I dabble in everything, but I consider myself good at the euphonium, the bass guitar, and the ocarina.

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

Harp Player
12 Nov 2014, 09:30 AM
I guess I am musically deprived the only other thing I play is the harmonica. I have noodled a bit on the recorder, and I tried the plastic version of the xaphoon with no luck.

I have looked at a that guy on TV that sells lead sheet piano lessons a few times but never took the bait. I have always loved the piano but never could quite figure it out.
Harmonica is fine, easy to carry around and great for playing with other people.

Re piano, you'd be best learning from a real-life teacher in person, they can adapt things to you.
Edited by Robert Hickman, 12 Nov 2014, 06:02 PM.

Vagabond Satyr
Member Avatar
To the moooooooooooon.
Primarily, I play piano. Besides the ocarina, I also play around with the shakuhachi. I have tin whistles and a pan flute, but don't use them much. I want to get back into violin eventually. I also want to acquire a bowed psaltery and maybe a pixie harp. :3

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
Euphonium
Baritone
Tuba

Recorder (specially alto and bass)
Tin whistle
low whistle
galician bagpipes
portuguese smallpipes
bombard

mandolin
cavaquinho
braguesa

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

miguel from portugal
12 Nov 2014, 06:47 PM
Euphonium
Baritone
Tuba

Recorder (specially alto and bass)
Tin whistle
low whistle
galician bagpipes
portuguese smallpipes
bombard

mandolin
cavaquinho
braguesa
Are bagpipes more common in Portugal?

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
Yes... We have a great tradition of bagpipes in Portugal and North Spain.
A bagpipe just with one drone and a half drone.
Tuned in C or tuned in Bb.

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

I play the Tin whistle aswell. I'd like to play a string/guitar instrument, and am considering taking up the uke.

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
My main 2 instruments are accordion and bass (electric and upright), but I also play the piano, banjo, guitar, and alto sax.

Auriora
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
Besides the ocarina. None. >.<

I mean, I can go through the scale and play some songs in the handflutte, but that's about it.

KaizFrost
Member Avatar
A Bay Area Kid
Urghhh. I mean I play piano and I have been taking 10 years worth of lessons...
but recently, I've been playing a lot of percussion because I just joined a youth orchestra (MY CONCERTS ON THE 14TH HELP)
but I learned snare drum, tympani, tambourine, triangle, bass drum, and we're gonna learn mallets and that's gonna be awesomeeeeeeee

but I also play ocarina. ;w; want to learn violin so bad.

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

@KaizFrost I'm sure you'll do fine at the concert.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Instruments And Music · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ