Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Ocarina Concert at Carnegie Hall; June 7th in NYC
Topic Started: 2 May 2014, 10:19 PM (7,759 Views)
Poc
Member Avatar
Ocarinist
Hey Everyone! It's been a while :)

Well, the good news is that my wife and I just happen to be going to NYC for a different occasion on June 7th, so we're in town the night of the concert! The bad news is that I called to reserve our tickets and was told there are none left. :(

We're really interested in going to the concert, and I know that up to 8 tickets per person could be reserved. On that note, does anyone have 2 extra tickets they would be willing to part with?

Please reply or pm me to let me know if you do. :)

If we're unable to get tickets, then I wish everyone going a wonderful time and hope to see lots of videos of the concert. ;)

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Hi Poc, several of us reserved tickets and are also going to be sitting VIP box which means we won't need our tickets that we reserved. Once I get confirmation (probably Thursday), you can have mine. I only reserved one though, so somebody else may also volunteer. I won't exactly know for sure until carbon secures those seats though. I'll send you a PM when I find out. :)

carbon

Yes, the show is sold out. I sent you a PM.

Anyone that reads this that needs tickets needs to get in contact with me.

cornellk
Member Avatar
Beginner
I called the friend whose hosting me in NJ to see if she and her daughter reserved their tickets. She said not yet. So, if she doesn't manage to get any, I may be hunting up two for them as well.

carbon

Between all of us, we should be able to figure it out. I'm betting they'll release some tickets at the start of the show too.

Poc
Member Avatar
Ocarinist
Thanks Mark, I appreciate it! I'll keep an eye out for your PM. :)

I got your PM, carbon, thanks for the quick response!

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Patty and I made a last minute decision tonight to see if we could come...but if there are really no tickets, I guess there is no point in trying to arrange transportation and accommodations? Really? No tickets? We have friends we could probably stay with with in NJ or NY, and we are prepared to pay for plane tickets...but not if we can't get in to see the concert!

carbon

Some of the people sitting in the reserved boxes still have reserved tickets.

Also, they'll open up some seats when people invariably don't show up. It's nothing to stress out about.

If you must have tickets, I think we have enough people that have spares.

Shoot me a FB message.
Edited by carbon, 4 Jun 2014, 05:19 AM.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I had a really great time hanging out with everyone in NY. It was a blast visiting the Nintendo World Store together, and it was great to see old friends and meet new ones. My only regret is that I wish I would have been able to hang out for a while right after the concert. When the concert was over, there was only 15 minutes to change clothes, clean out my dressing room, and get onto the bus.
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 8 Jun 2014, 06:43 PM.

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

Hope someone got pictures of it.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

It was a great concert, but photography was prohibited. I have iPhone pics with some players before and after the show. :)

Right now I'm waiting for Osawa's Jazz concert, which starts in an hour.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Any chance there was an official person who was taking video of the concert, since the audience wasn't allowed?

Wulfthari
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Mark Chan
8 Jun 2014, 07:01 PM
It was a great concert, but photography was prohibited. I have iPhone pics with some players before and after the show. :)

Right now I'm waiting for Osawa's Jazz concert, which starts in an hour.
I envy those who could attend this concert. :(

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
hylian_shieldmaiden
8 Jun 2014, 07:19 PM
Any chance there was an official person who was taking video of the concert, since the audience wasn't allowed?
I ended up getting pics and videos with my digital camera...but poor Pandorado got picked-off whilst we were waiting outside of the Hall, and her 3DS got stolen along with my digital camera and SD card. So, I only have the audio that I made with my phone's voice memo and will try to clean up for everybody to listen to. I'm glad that Pandorado wasn't hurt when this happened and would rather lose items than lives.

I have just a few pictures of the inside of the Hall that I did take from my phone before the concert, though...

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
reiko.souma
9 Jun 2014, 01:15 AM
hylian_shieldmaiden
I ended up getting pics and videos with my digital camera...but poor Pandorado got picked-off whilst we were waiting outside of the Hall, and her 3DS got stolen along with my digital camera and SD card. So, I only have the audio that I made with my phone's voice memo and will try to clean up for everybody to listen to. I'm glad that Pandorado wasn't hurt when this happened and would rather lose items than lives.

I have just a few pictures of the inside of the Hall that I did take from my phone before the concert, though...
Wow, I'm glad to hear no one was seriously hurt! This is true: lives are much more valuable than possessions.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

reiko.souma
hylian_shieldmaiden

Good lord, she was actually mugged or was her bag or something taken?

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Jubal
9 Jun 2014, 01:32 AM
reiko.souma
hylian_shieldmaiden

Good lord, she was actually mugged or was her bag or something taken?
She wasn't actually mugged, thankfully. The picker had taken advantage of our excited distraction when we were outside with the group and just took her 3DS and my camera/SD card. >.<

mkmusic
Member Avatar
Voice Artist & Musician
Wow, I've been out of the Ocarina loop for so long that I missed two concerts in my backyard...I REALLY hope there's some video somewhere that can be shared. Also, I hope everyone is alright who were met with a bit of misfortune!

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
mkmusic
9 Jun 2014, 02:43 AM
Wow, I've been out of the Ocarina loop for so long that I missed two concerts in my backyard...I REALLY hope there's some video somewhere that can be shared. Also, I hope everyone is alright who were met with a bit of misfortune!
My videos are gone...but I have just about the entire concert on audio on my phone that I'm going to work on cleaning up this week!
(Along with about thirty other audio pieces for my church...)
Pandorado and I are unharmed and both made it back to our respective homes safely, and she told me that she should be back online tomorrow. Worry not. :)

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Wow, that's insane! I'm glad you guys are alright :(

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
hylian_shieldmaiden
9 Jun 2014, 04:19 AM
Wow, that's insane! I'm glad you guys are alright :(
No worries. :) Everybody played phenomenally (along with a couple of ocarinists who ended up dancing XD) for a job so very, very well done! ^_^
I had tears in my eyes the entire time and had to try so hard not to cry because of how proud I am of them all. :3

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I didn't get to talk to Jeanne much. I wanted to at least hang out before she returned to RI. Hopefully we'll meet again in Texas.

I got some video of Osawa's Jazz Concert. I'll upload later.

After the Jazz concert was the closing ceremony of the "Festival," which was for performers only. I was going to go home, but Ueda-san and Kobari-san invited me to join. I was also suddenly voluntold to perform a song to open the ceremony because Ocarina Seven was not ready. I played Milt's Yokohama Cafe, but cut it short to just before the improv section, which made it really short. But just enough time for Ocarina Seven to get set up behind me. They had me play together with them too, but I couldn't sight read. If you're friends with Kyoko Oyama on FB, you'll see a picture of me looking really lost in the sheet music, lol. It was my first on stage performance, so it was a terrifying, but valuable experience.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I wish we could have been there to see your professional stage debut, Mark. That's wonderful you were able to play with the Ocarina Seven. They were excellent!
I'm sorry I didn't get to meet some of them outside the stage door. They were all in a hurry to get on the bus.

Just to let everybody know, I was not mugged. I think somebody just snuck their hand into my tote bag and lifted my 3DS and Reiko's camera while we were jostled about in the crowd outside Carnegie Hall.

I picked up a new 3DS at the Nintendo World store on Sunday, I lost my copy of some games and the photos I had on the SD card but I have most of my pics uploaded to Photobucket. I just won't have the ones I took at the concert. :(

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Sounds you like all had a great time. That pickpocket should have his fingers._______ (you fill in the blank)
Edited by Wollemi Pine, 9 Jun 2014, 05:08 PM.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Wollemi Pine
9 Jun 2014, 05:02 PM
Sounds you like all had a great time. That pickpocket should have his fingers._______ (you fill in the blank)
Yes. Yes, (s)he should. >:3
(Conquered by kittens, overrun by penguins, met with a very unfortunate accident involving karma...no violence at all! XD)

Viraltempo
Member Avatar
Newbie Ocarinist
Meeting everyone and going to the concert was a blast. It's one thing to see and hear things on youtube and another to experience it first hand.

I'm sorry to hear that you guys got robbed though, but I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt.

Ikaruka
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Mark Chan

After the Jazz concert was the closing ceremony of the "Festival," which was for performers only. I was going to go home, but Ueda-san and Kobari-san invited me to join. I was also suddenly voluntold to perform a song to open the ceremony because Ocarina Seven was not ready. I played Milt's Yokohama Cafe, but cut it short to just before the improv section, which made it really short. But just enough time for Ocarina Seven to get set up behind me. They had me play together with them too, but I couldn't sight read. If you're friends with Kyoko Oyama on FB, you'll see a picture of me looking really lost in the sheet music, lol. It was my first on stage performance, so it was a terrifying, but valuable experience.

Like I've said I'm happy to hear this man, and don't worry about being nervous. It's normal especially if it's your first time one stage.
I really wish I could've been there, it would've been great to see. And meh..who cares if you messed up a bit, the fact that you got on stage and played is awesome on itself!

So...erhm...you now what this means..right..next Festival...you...me...stage...duet. :3

@pandorado100: Wow, that's just awful, it's such a pitty you lost your stuff. :(
But it's good to hear you're okay that's the most important thing.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Ikaruka
9 Jun 2014, 10:38 PM
So...erhm...you now what this means..right..next Festival...you...me...stage...duet. :3
Haha, that would be great! As long as we get ample time to practice something we both know, I'm down. :D

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Well, good to catch up on what happened, what we missed! It just was not in the stars for us. Who knows, we may or may not make Dallas again this year. Hard to say. We are so bloody far away, and air fare is no bargain any more!

carbon

We all hope you two can make it, but definitely understand about air fare. I don't know if Spirit Airline flies where you live, but you may be able to catch something on Southwest Airlines. They have some super-saver fares if you book in advance.

You two were definitely missed and we all are looking forward to "next time", whenever that may be.

Darwin
Member Avatar
Talent = Hard work + Passion
Hi, anyone took pictures? or record the event? I would like to see :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Southwest is having a sale on airfare now. I should post to the other thread, lol.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Darwin
10 Jun 2014, 06:36 PM
Hi, anyone took pictures? or record the event? I would like to see :)
I can't post my audio files of the concert, unfortunately...I'd like to not get in trouble for recording the concert. >.< I'm sorry.

carbon

I'm hoping to get a video of the performance, but I doubt we'll be able to share it. I'm going to see what can be done. I'm not optimistic, but you never know... asking never hurts.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
carbon
11 Jun 2014, 12:56 AM
I'm hoping to get a video of the performance, but I doubt we'll be able to share it. I'm going to see what can be done. I'm not optimistic, but you never know... asking never hurts.
From the Carnegie Hall website:
Sound recording and taking video is prohibited at all times. Unauthorized photographs, video, or other recordings may be deleted at management’s discretion.

The playbill fine print specifies that such is prohibited by law, and violators may be held liable for damages and other lawful penalties. :/

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Not the same concert; but the same weekend: Satoshi Osawa Jazz Live 6.8.2014 Playlist

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Mark Chan
11 Jun 2014, 03:02 AM
Not the same concert; but the same weekend: Satoshi Osawa Jazz Live 6.8.2014 Playlist
Live ... from two days ago? :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Wollemi Pine
11 Jun 2014, 03:09 AM
Live ... from two days ago? :)
Yep, this was the day after the Carnegie Hall concert. :)
It was a Live concert.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Dang, Osawa sure knows how to improvise! I can hardly do that on clarinet, my main instrument - I couldn't even imagine doing it on an ocarina!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I wish we could have stayed to attend the Osawa concert. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it, Mark. Thanks for capturing it for those of us who couldn't be there. :)

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I wish I could have gone too, but this week is super busy, because Nintendo is doing some special demo events at Best Buys across the US for E3.

Check out Nintendo's website to find out which Best Buy near you is participating for a chance to play a demo of Smash Brothers before the game is even out! It's happening this Saturday! Don't miss out!

MagusStar13
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
It was such a great weekend! I had a blast meeting everyone!

It was so good to see old friends too :)

The concert was AMAZING!! Ocarinadiva always blows my mind with her performance.

Thank everyone for a great time. I can't wait for the October Festival!!!!

ubizmo

I missed the event, unfortunately, due to some unexpected guests from out of town. But I'm hoping to get to Dallas again this fall, if things work out.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Is it just me and my computer speakers, or is the sound in the Osawa videos truly horrible? Not Mark's fault - sounds like the sound engineer didn't have any idea how to mike and mix an ocarina.

Let's hope Osawa puts some jazz out on CD.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Jack Campin
27 Jun 2014, 06:27 PM
Is it just me and my computer speakers, or is the sound in the Osawa videos truly horrible? Not Mark's fault - sounds like the sound engineer didn't have any idea how to mike and mix an ocarina.

Let's hope Osawa puts some jazz out on CD.
One of the singers informed the sound engineer that some of the audience can't hear her; and he interjected "I don't see how that's possible, but I'll turn it up." Maybe he didn't know what he was doing, lol.

There is a CD called Jazz Garden available on the Focalink website.
http://steinocarina.com/productsDetail.php?id=268

There is also a DVD called Ocarina Styling with an Expression of Jazz.
http://steinocarina.com/productsDetail.php?id=272

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ