Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Ocarina Concert at Carnegie Hall; June 7th in NYC
Topic Started: 2 May 2014, 10:19 PM (7,734 Views)
carbon

What: USA-Japan Goodwill Concert : International Ocarina Festival
When: June 7th 2014 at 8pm
Where: Carnegie Hall in NYC
Cost: Free (tickets available at the box office)

Ocarina Performers:
Satoshi Osawa, Kazumi Sato, Tomohiro Ibaraki, Satsuki Yuba, Cornell Kinderknecht, and TON's own - Cris Gale. Additionally, Ocarina 7 will be there, as well as other unannounced Japanese performers.

Posted Image

Facebook Event : https://www.facebook.com/events/669587883090946/
Edited by carbon, 20 May 2014, 10:08 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I've been waiting for this! I would love to finally meet Tomohiro Ibaraki! :boogie: I heard his CD, and it's great stuff.
I'm also looking forward to meeting everybody else again too! :)
Edited by Mark Chan, 2 May 2014, 10:26 PM.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Ooohhh, I wish this was in Ontario so I could go see it! Congrats and good luck, Cris :)

CeramicSky
Member Avatar
オカリナ
What? Its free? Am I reading that right?

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

That's what it says. Free tickets.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
I can't wait to go! I'm working my butt off all month for this (travel and hotel costs, that is)!!! And hopefully Pandorado100 will be able to come with~! -crosses fingers-
Edited by Reiko Souma, 7 May 2014, 01:19 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Roll call: who's going?

Me! :hi:

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Arrghh. I wish I could go!

carbon

Cris made a Facebook event. It gives a good idea of some of the people that are going.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
It would be awesome... and it is a Saturday... and this type of thing doesn't seem to happen all too often... AND it's free... but that's a hell of a drive to New York and I'd bet I'm going to be really busy over that weekend anyway. So chances are, I won't be able to make it... :c I'll make sure to post if anything changes though.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I just called the event people and they said it's general admission. Since it's general admission, we can all book our own ticket and not rely on somebody who may or may not be able to make it due to last minute circumstances.

I can get 8 tix for myself and distribute, but what if something happens to me and I can't go... you know? Anything can happen, haha. :rofl:

Just reserved my ticket. :)
Now to decide if I should come day of the concert; or spend a few days in NY.
Edited by Mark Chan, 7 May 2014, 08:48 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Reiko Souma and I are in the midst of trying to finalize our reservations for hotel room and train tickets. The big glitch is I have to work the Friday night before the concert so I may show up only to fall asleep at the concert. :P

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
pandorado100
8 May 2014, 03:41 PM
Reiko Souma and I are in the midst of trying to finalize our reservations for hotel room and train tickets. The big glitch is I have to work the Friday night before the concert so I may show up only to fall asleep at the concert. :P
No worries! You'll be able to get a nap in before the concert! :D

WindSong
Member Avatar

Sounds wonderful!
So glad to hear that you're in the line-up, Cris. :)
Hope there will be videos.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. I'm really looking forward to seeing old friends again in NY and meeting new ones!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
reiko.souma
10 May 2014, 12:29 PM
pandorado100
8 May 2014, 03:41 PM
No worries! You'll be able to get a nap in before the concert! :D
No worries. One of the nurses I work with agreed to switch nights with me. So it looks like I will have the Friday off to sleep and get ready for my trip to NYC to see the concert. :grin:

I'm looking forward to this. It's very hard to get out much when you work a night schedule.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I'm so glad things worked out Jeanne!

Would anybody be interested in visiting Nintendo's NY World store sometime on Friday? I think it's only about ten blocks from Carnegie Hall. :)
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 13 May 2014, 08:25 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I have my tickets booked to arrive Saturday. But I'm looking into changing it to Friday or late Thursday. But the cost of travel will play into whether I change or not. If I do change my ticket, I'm down for whatever. :)
Edited by Mark Chan, 13 May 2014, 08:30 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I'll be arriving Saturday afternoon around 4 PM with Reiko.souma. We have to catch the 1 PM train back to RI on Sunday. We're open to meeting folks for a pre concert supper or Sunday morning brunch.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Changed my ticket from Saturday to Thursday. :)
I'm still leaving Monday night though. :/ That's 4 whole days! :dead:

Plenty of time for White Castle and Pizza! Haven't had Halal cart food in a while. Lol, food is the only thing on my mind. :D

MagusStar13
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I am so very excited!!

I can't wait to see Ocarinadiva again! And finally meet so many others in person!

I want to go to the Nintendo store as well.

Soooo excited to meet Mark Chan and pandorado100!! Whoo hoo! :)))

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

MagusStar13
14 May 2014, 04:36 AM
Soooo excited to meet Mark Chan and pandorado100!! Whoo hoo! :)))
I'm excited to meet you too! :boogie:

Viraltempo
Member Avatar
Newbie Ocarinist
Time to make sure I don't work on that night. Looking forward to meeting you guys :D

On the website, it says that you can't get the tickets online. Do we just go over there and pick up the tickets in person on the day of the event or before that?

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Viraltempo
14 May 2014, 05:09 AM
On the website, it says that you can't get the tickets online. Do we just go over there and pick up the tickets in person on the day of the event or before that?
I called the number on the flyer and reserved my ticket. I think after a few of us called they told everyone else to just e-mail them. I'd still call just in case.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
It's going to be great! NYC has so many terrific eating spots. Both Bobby Flay and Mario Batalli own restaurants there. I wonder if I can afford their food?

Do we have any NY locals who can provide guidance on where to eat in the vicinity of Carnegie Hall? Jon (carbon) suggested a sushi place that has a very tempting menu.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I'm more into cheap eats than going baller, lol. Cart food is sooo good! I still haven't had that famous Halal cart everyone talks about yet. I think it's called Halal Guys.

Yelp
Urban Spoon
Carnegie Hall Neighborhood Guide
Gogobot

carbon

I found that place a while ago. I'm a big fan of futomaki rolls and was doing a walking tour of different futomaki rolls. This place's was the best IMO. Their other food is good, but I'm going for the futomaki.

There's an inexpensive soup place called Sopporo. It's in the area too. They're cash only, so be prepared. When we visited NY in November we went with MagusStar to a Thai place that was literally next door. It was very good. I think with NYC, just about any sit down place you go is going to be good, though probably on the pricey side. There's a diner that's nearby that we went to as well. I'm hoping we can all go there again and hang out. They're open late and the coffee is good. The food wasn't bad either and the service was friendly.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
So what exactly IS halal food? I remember researching the term one day and it said that devout muslims are supposed to eat halal but they can substitute kosher food if halal is not available.

All I know of Jewish food are bagles, knishes, kreplachs and gefilte fish. :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

pandorado100
14 May 2014, 10:43 PM
So what exactly IS halal food?
There are certain things that are forbidden to be consumed; and animals must be slaughtered in a certain humane way. I'm no expert. Here's a summary of what it is: Link

Viraltempo
Member Avatar
Newbie Ocarinist
There are so many good places to eat. Indeed the food cart is so popular the lines are huge.

There's also a super duper bakery called levain baker that has these amazing chocolate chip walnut cookies that weigh like half a pound each.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Yes, and NYC also has the famous Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. :D

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Food...let me get back to you about food once the graduation food coma comes and goes between tomorrow and Saturday. XD

Viraltempo
Member Avatar
Newbie Ocarinist
I called to reserve a ticket today, but they won't let people reserve over the phone unless you have a large party. If you're only getting one or two tickets, they said to just go the box office to pick it up. Just in case, I asked the organizers how many spots they still had left (800) and they don't think they're going to run out of tickets. I plan on going downtown this Sunday to get a ticket. If anyone else wants me to pick up a few extra tickets and won't be able to pick up a few in person, let me know.

carbon

It's good to know that there will be plenty of seats. I wonder if the entire seating area is available or if they're only opening specific balconies. I ask this because if there are 800 seats left and they are utilize the entire auditorium - that'd mean that roughly 2000 people are expected.

Viraltempo
Member Avatar
Newbie Ocarinist
They mentioned that the whole thing is general admission and there are no assigned seats. It would be cool if the balconies were opened up and we took up one :D

carbon

I don't know what the sitrep is on the balcony seating, but if I find out anything - I'll let ya'll know.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Viraltempo
20 May 2014, 09:44 PM
I called to reserve a ticket today, but they won't let people reserve over the phone unless you have a large party. If you're only getting one or two tickets, they said to just go the box office to pick it up. Just in case, I asked the organizers how many spots they still had left (800) and they don't think they're going to run out of tickets. I plan on going downtown this Sunday to get a ticket. If anyone else wants me to pick up a few extra tickets and won't be able to pick up a few in person, let me know.
Depending on who you speak to when you call, you'll end up getting that response. When I called for a second time on Monday to confirm that my e-mail request for two tickets in my name had been received, a young woman answered and said that I'm all set to pick up the tickets at the box office in my name on the day of the concert. Then I had my friend call right away since he too had reserved a ticket for himself, and the same young woman took care of his reservation over the phone as well.

The young lady is apparently the one you want to speak to about reserving your tickets. :3

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I made my reservation on the phone; and it sounded like an older lady. :)

Viraltempo
Member Avatar
Newbie Ocarinist
Interesting....well either way gonna go secure those tickets and in my hand before the day of the event :D.

Darwin
Member Avatar
Talent = Hard work + Passion
I would love to go and meet all of you guys...
Cris me best wishes are with you! You are the best!! IMHO :)
Edited by Darwin, 24 May 2014, 07:38 AM.

carbon

So the event is fast approaching. If you are going and aren't already a part of our big discussion, please send me a PM. The last thing we want is for someone to be left out.

itsgottensunny
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
I've been too busy to say so here on TON, but I've been planning on coming to this event since I got that email! I'm from New York so I'll be around for any meetups and would love to get to know you all. So looking forward to this concert, we're gonna have a great time!

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Awesome! Looking forward to making your acquaintance!

cornellk
Member Avatar
Beginner
Heading to NYC tomorrow. I look forward to meeting up with many of you on Friday and Saturday.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Good to see you here, Cornell! I'm looking forward to meeting you again in NYC! :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ