Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What instrument next?; What are you saving up for?
Topic Started: 19 Apr 2014, 11:35 PM (6,674 Views)
wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
I can say that I want a tenor or bass recorder and a multi-chamber ocarina most of all (for now).

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
I would like to learn the recorder, also, and acquire a small reeded instrument (like a soprano sax or clarinet).

Traeak
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
i wonder how good these recorders are:

http://www.rondomusic.com/wr83sb.html

Likely knocked out in some chinese factory, however rondo music has a good reputation for high value electric guitars and basses.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
Traeak
9 Jun 2014, 09:56 PM
i wonder how good these recorders are:

http://www.rondomusic.com/wr83sb.html

Likely knocked out in some chinese factory, however rondo music has a good reputation for high value electric guitars and basses.
For a wooden recorder priced at $19.95US, I hope it would be worth the shipping! (I'm having my doubts...)

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Probably trash. Cheap wooden recorders aren't worth bothering with.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Tell me about it. Both of mine cracked near the bottom within my first two months of ownership and haven't been played since. Now I just keep my pink one to demonstrate cleaning and won't bother to buy another.

This is a model of the soprano saxophone that I want: (Amazon)
This is the studio piano that I want: (85-key Studio Piano)

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

That soprano sax is garbage. Unfortunately, if you want a good soprano it's gonna cost. The cheapest you can expect to pay for a decent used soprano sax is $400, if you're really lucky. If you want a good one, expect closer to $1000. Saxes are vastly different that ocarinas, it's a lot easier to make a bad one and bad ones are a lot more common. For a wealth of information on what soprano sax is good to buy, check out saxontheweb. They'll answer any questions you may have.

Same goes for bass clarinets, except they're more expensive and much harder to find a good one than even a soprano sax.
Edited by Jubal, 10 Jun 2014, 02:29 AM.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
I saw the price and questioned it, but I wasn't thinking of buying the soprano sax from that particular seller. (I posted for the photo. XD) I will check out and bookmark the site you posted, though. Thank you. (I'll be buying the piano before the sax.)

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Any brand new cheap sax like that you'll want to avoid. Brands like Palatino, Cecilio, etc. Good luck with your search though.

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
Cecilio is the worst instrument brand that I have saw... Don't do that... Better not to have it than spend the money on a pice of...

Good brands for cheap value (they are very good and you will not spend any fortune in a famous manufacture:
Jonh Packer
Tuyama
Thomann

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Tuyama? Really?

They make Turkish-style clarinets in G which are supposed to be terrible.

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
By my experience in other instruments they are good.
Clarinets in G I don't know... It's not my area...

Traeak
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
The yamaha p105 isn't bad...about like my 20 year old clavinova. I've been casually looking for a replacement for that 20 year old clavinova so I'm a bit most interested in a great action. The kawai cn24 (and es1000) is a great noticeable improvement over my old clavinova for that but double the cost of the p105. And then there's the kawai VPC1 midi controller that can be had for under 1600 ... read some reviews on that!

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Yikes. Instruments are falling out of the sky at me.

I got a Turkish dilli kaval (seven-hole alto whistle) and a zurna in a charity shop today (2 for 1 deal). I already have a couple of dilli kavals but haven't really figured out the fingering system for either of them. This new one is different from the other two, and bizarrely it overblows a major seventh. But it has a parallel bore. How the heck do they pull that off? All three have the thumbhole located in an un-recorder-like place (as do the two Georgian salamuris, which are clearly a close relative). For some reason "Dawn" from Grieg's Peer Gynt music popped out as the first tune I could play on them. I was trying for "Sari Gelin" and got that instead.

I don't have a reed for the zurna. I might give it away to my friend who lives in a 16th century house with walls of solid stone six feet thick. It's a soprano size. My cats would leave home if I practiced on it. If you think a soprano C ocarina is antisocial to the neighbours you haven't heard a zurna. And a soprano zurna is too much even for players of normal zurnas.

The dizi should be here tomorrow. Somewhat more normal scale, anyway.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
I may potentially be interested in that zurna if it's in decent shape and I can afford what you'd like to charge for it (assuming your friend doesn't want it, of course).

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

It's not a very good one. My friend likes messing about with instruments in his workshop and it could turn into almost anything after he's done with it.

The Zeynel Abidin Cumbus shop in Istanbul stocks them and they're reliable and helpful people to deal with. Anything you get from them will be playable.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Is DeTerminator still around?

I just got myself a better quena and I'm curious to know what other people do with them. My previous one was cane; the new one is some kind of heavy hardwood, with lengthwise stripes of yellow and green (this stuff seems to be used a lot for quenas). The bore is wider than the cane one, the fingerholes are huge, and it's overpoweringly loud. It also requires a fair bit of air, though I suppose that will reduce with practice.

I don't have much interest in Andean music. For now, I'm playing French "bal folk" dance tunes on it - these are purely diatonic. Cross-fingering doesn't work for chromatic notes, you have to half-hole - not easy at speed, so for now I'm not doing it.

DarkAlchemist
Member Avatar
Vice Fuhrer Nicole The Dark Alchemist
I should be getting an erhu somtime today, thanks to Henry(Tentenguy)! He bought me one. :D I'm really looking forward to learning how to play it. :D Thanks Henry!

stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
A computer. XD

Kostas Honros25
Member Avatar
Ocarina lover
just a cheap soprano ukelele to get me started!

SongSparrow
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
I have and play many instruments. The one I want the most, and the one I probably will never have due to the price ( a decent one being about 3K) is a bassoon. I played in high school, borrowing the school's instrument and it was FUN and I miss it so much!

wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
stealthheartocarina_z
15 Jul 2015, 07:16 AM
A computer. XD
I guess all we really need is a MIDI controller, right? ;)

carbon

Speaking of midi controller, I'm saving up for an Access Virus TI or TI2. I'm trying to decide between the Polar version or getting the desktop version and getting an Akai Max49 midi controller.

Jarlaxle
Member Avatar
beginner ocarinist
Im saving up to get an old violin my girlfriend gifted me set up for playing after sitting for ten years. It's just a cheap student model, but I'm looking forward to learning how to play.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
My plastic nay arrived today, so that's what I'm going to be working on :) . Wish me luck, because the embouchure for it is supposed to be difficult - some people take weeks or months just to get their first real sound. I've gotten a handful of squeaks out of it so far, so I'm hopeful~
My new nay~

Farore
Member Avatar
Untalented Bafoon
I'm planning on saving for an Aria Alto/Soprano G from STL, but it's only been about a month since I got my last ocarina, so I'm not sure when I'll start saving. I'm very excited about it though. :jumpy:
It will be my first ocarina that isn't from Focalink/Songbird.

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
Recently I purchase a mountain dulcimer after seeing some videos that caught my attention posted here on TON.
After more or less a month of practice... I can tell... I'M IN LOVE....

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I got my mansur nay today. Boy is that difficult. Not only can I not get more than a whisper out of it, I'm finding it really hard to stretch my left hand enough to cover the holes. My thumb needs to be a couple of inches longer.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
I don't think I'd even be able to play a mansur nay, my arms would be too short to hold it. Mine is a dokah/sipurde, and it kills my wrists reaching down to cover the holes; I've had to wear my carpal tunnel brace the last couple nights as I work on getting a decent sound out of it.

Though there's this one professional nay player in Egypt, Saber Ali (also goes by Saber Kawla), who also makes and sells nays and kawlas, including these weird, coiled nays, which I'm guessing solves that problem. My dad's tried emailing him a couple times for me (since the guy doesn't seem to speak English) to ask about buying a nay, but he never responded.

segevrl
Member Avatar
I play pendants too!
I've always wanted to play the oboe, I love it so much

Nafaei
Member Avatar
A figment of your imagination...
segevrl
22 Jul 2016, 03:11 PM
I've always wanted to play the oboe, I love it so much
I agree on the oboe, that's an instrument I really wanted to learn in high school, but there were none for me to try :c
Right now I'm completely obsessed with lever harps, but can't justifying spending that much money on a good one at the moment... The struggles of a poor college kid :shrug:

Sailway
Member Avatar
Beginner
I want a new Pro Range Mountain Ocarina. I have been waiting for 8 yrs for this ocarina and it looks like it will come out this year. I am crossing my fingers and toes.
I just got a STL plastic triple ocarina so I could learn multichamber ocarina playing and it's not a bad little ocarina. :)

OcarinaDude1
Member Avatar
pop123444
I have a STL plastic triple and it's pretty bad. I also want a Pro Range Mountain next.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
invisible ties
I bought a Hind bass sweet potato last month. I'd like to have a tenor recorder, too, one made of wood which is more expensive. Messing around and trying to practice with one made of plastic though.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Well after learning to play clarinets, ocarinas and saxophones fairly well, I'd say my next instrument would be a double reed, flute, bass sax, or a brass instrument (maybe euphonium)

EriChanHime
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
I definitely am also on the Mountain Ocarina Pro-Range (Coda) bandwagon. I'd also love a Songbird Harmony ocarina in G (the ones that almost look like Mr. Tumnus' pipes from the last TLTWTW movie). Recently, I also discovered the Hamlett ocarina series, and would love to get their Alto G (a key I don't have, and that is on the lower side, which I like) in a rich green or the stone grey glaze.

Steamboy
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
stealthheartocarina_z
15 Jul 2015, 07:16 AM
A computer. XD
Well, you can mimic tons of instruments using a computer program...
I would like to build or buy a five chambers ocarina.
Edited by Steamboy, 22 Feb 2017, 05:59 PM.

wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
I really want to get myself a Pure Soprano G in red, but I really don't play enough to justify it...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Instruments And Music · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ