Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What instrument next?; What are you saving up for?
Topic Started: 19 Apr 2014, 11:35 PM (6,479 Views)
wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
Okay, so, as it turns out, there are WAY too many awesome musical instruments in this world. It's just about impossible for me to decide which one to buy next. I have... alot on my wishlist, most of which I'll likely never have :P

So I guess the question is, what instrument are you saving up for next? Just out of curiosity :3
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Just ocarinas for me these days. I used to play French horn, and still may get back to it someday (I held onto my horns) but ocarinas are really what call to me and I've decided to take them pretty seriously. Serious practice of the instrument in an already busy life leaves me with little time for any other musical pursuits.

lakilester5626
Member Avatar
Undecuple Ocarinist
Double-belled euphonium.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
I too used to play the French horn (in addition to the piano and trumpet); however, I have since stopped. The only instrument I now play is the ocarina. I would like to add a bass ocarina to my collection, as well as a couple of AC singles (like the Infinity and Man Chung Lee's ocarina)

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

A tarogato. And maybe a Baroque G alto recorder and an A=415 Baroque F alto recorder.

Another salamuri is on its way to me from Georgia and I intend to learn how to make plastic Bulgarian kavals sometime.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I want a taragato too. That's likely a pipe dream for me. I really want to invest the time and money into an upright bass.

Ezuri
Member Avatar
Enthusiast & Failed Creator
I'm still playing bass trombone and trying to add more and more ocarinas to my collection. I'd like to learn how to play piano someday though

onerian
Beginner
im saving up for a ukulele

Rabidgnome
Member Avatar
Ocarina nooblet
ive been eyeing up the plastic trumpets and trombones has anyone tried them? also id really love to get a takashi bass!

Feanolw
Member Avatar
Spirit of Wisdom
I'd love to play bassoon, when I have enough money for one.

DarkAlchemist
Member Avatar
Vice Fuhrer Nicole The Dark Alchemist
I recently saved up enough for a new cello, so I'm having fun with that. Right now though I'm saving for a different stand for it. I'm also a bit tempted to save up for a guitar. I don't particularly care for guitar, but there's music that I want to play, and can only find guitar tabs for. >_>;

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

I have enough to improve with my technique for the instruments i'm already playing, without adding anything else to complicate it.

Quote:

I don't particularly care for guitar, but there's music that I want to play, and can only find guitar tabs for. >_>;

Look up note positions so you can transcribe it, or there are plenty of cheap guitars floating around if you want something physical to use for transcribing.
Edited by Robert Hickman, 20 Apr 2014, 08:42 AM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

I've been eyeing up the plastic trumpets and trombones has anyone tried them?

I can't play brass but I've heard a pBone close up and handled one. It was pretty good. I don't know about plastic trumpets.

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
A duduk.

Ezuri
Member Avatar
Being a trombone player and having played a pBone as well I will say that they are remarkably similar. However don't use the plastic mouth piece it comes with. Go out and by a regular metal small bore trombone mouth piece. It'll sound much better instantly

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Here's a clip of a plastic trumpet:

Jem21797
Member Avatar
Euphonium Enthusiast Extraordinare
Feanolw
20 Apr 2014, 06:41 AM
I'd love to play bassoon, when I have enough money for one.
I'd also love to add bassoon to my collection, but they're so darn expensive.

ocarinacaro
Member Avatar
Cellocarinist needing new ideas for new designs :3
DarkAlchemist
20 Apr 2014, 07:26 AM
I recently saved up enough for a new cello, so I'm having fun with that. Right now though I'm saving for a different stand for it. I'm also a bit tempted to save up for a guitar. I don't particularly care for guitar, but there's music that I want to play, and can only find guitar tabs for. >_>;
HO WOW ANOTHER CELLIST!!! If you want, I can help you find (or arrange) the sheets you need, I love doing that! :D
I'm saving for a Takashi double and a celtic harp (22 strings) http://www.pixieharps.com/22-string-heather-harp/ to celebrate the end of my studies (May 27th). I want to make more multitrack videos and play in parks just for fun :) I'm also saving for a new computer and HD camera with a good micro to make better videos.

Sometimes I play pizz on my cello, I love this sound and where I live I cannot make too much noise...

Rabidgnome
Member Avatar
Ocarina nooblet
There is also the Vibrato plastic saxophone but i can get a brass saxophone for about the same price as those.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
I was looking at the plastic saxes a while ago. Those are pretty cool.

Rabidgnome
Member Avatar
Ocarina nooblet
They sound pretty good to, but the conversion for canada makes them around 750 dollars and i can get a new brass for about 600

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Look up reviews of the new plastic saxes. Seems their keywork is even worse than the Lyons/Nuevo Clarineo clarinets and you can't adjust it at all to fix leaks. I saw a really cool-looking one on EBay recently (transparent) but I passed.

Rabidgnome
Member Avatar
Ocarina nooblet
mendini alto sax yeah Jack i just saw that when i delved deeper into them, its a shame i used to play when i was very young and its always been a favorite instrument of mine. I'm currently investigating this saxophone as possible learning tool for myself.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
I've been dying to get a nay (maybe a set of nays) and mizmar for years, but I don't seem to be able to find any reputable makers/sellers online, and haven't been able to find anything at all in actual stores (I did find some at the CNE last year, but they were basically the "Peruvian ocarinas" of the nay world :P ). Most of the nays and mizmars I see online are made by Mid-East Mfg., and the few reviews I've managed to scrounge up for them haven't been favourable. Don't suppose anyone here knows where I can manage to get my mitts on a decent nay?

I'd also like to get a higher quality durbakke than the ones I currently own, a daff, and a tabl.

Buuuuuuuut, knowing me and my luck, I'll probably end up getting more ocarinas before I manage to get any of those other instruments.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

As it happens I was at a class on Turkish classical music this weekend and the teacher (a Greek musician) used a ney to demonstrate. (I used Turkish G clarinet and tenor recorder; an ocarina would have been able to play all the notes but its sound would have been too aggressive for the group mix).

Traditionally, instrument quality isn't a big deal with them. The old-school way was that your teacher gave you your first one and then you learned to make your own - you don't need much more than than a sharp knife and a few red-hot metal rods. The doodad on the top of Turkish neys seems a bit more complicated to make but there isn't anything subtle about what it does.

They don't blow anything like any other flute I play and I've always been dead in the water with them.

Can you find a local teacher? If so, they'll know where to get one.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
The only local teacher I've been able to find so far is Arabesque Academy, who teach bellydance, and various Middle Eastern instruments, including the ones I want to learn. Apparently they perform internationally, and at least one of their music instructors has a doctorate in Historical Arabic Musicology. They do have a boutique that sells to both their students and the public, but when I talked to them about buying a nay, they told me that their supplier is out of business at the moment due to the trouble in Egypt, and so they have nothing in stock. I've always got an eye out for more resources, especially at the multicultural festival I go to every May, but haven't had much luck in the 10 or so years I've been searching. I did manage to find a Turkish guy who teaches qanun, though, and he even makes his own qanuns, but he lives over 2 hours away, so taking lessons with him wasn't feasible :/

The nays I found last year - so far, they're the only ones I've managed to find - weren't even playable. They were splintered and cracking, barely even usable as decorations. But I'm hoping that perhaps it's a sign that I'll be able to find a proper one sometime soon :shrug:

If I could even just get ahold of a proper nay, and the reed to make it with, I know my dad would easily be able to make me one using it as a template. I'd generally prefer to have an Arab-style one without the bashpare, but at this point, I think I'll take what I can get as long as it plays :P
Edited by hylian_shieldmaiden, 21 Apr 2014, 06:49 AM.

Frozen
Member Avatar
The Black Knight
A Handpan. I love it since I heard it the first time.

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
I would love to buy a bass clarinet, as I used to play. I also want a nice saxophone, and a DAG or TAG ocarina, though I haven't decided which one yet. Gonna save now, so I can purchase it in time for my oc anniversary in September. lol

seadeatea
Member Avatar
Just this guy, you know?
My ultimate goal is to one day get a Guqin. I love them but have neither the room or money for one:

Pui-Yuen Lui performing "Flowing Waters"

DarkAlchemist
Member Avatar
Robert Hickman
20 Apr 2014, 08:39 AM
Quote:

I don't particularly care for guitar, but there's music that I want to play, and can only find guitar tabs for. >_>;

Look up note positions so you can transcribe it, or there are plenty of cheap guitars floating around if you want something physical to use for transcribing.
Yeah, I tried doing that, but I got a bit overwhelmed by the work involved with it. I'd either be transcribing for my ukulele or cello(most likely cello, since it has a wider range). Maybe one day I'll feel less lazy and less quick to give up and try again.

I've thought about getting a cheap one, but I'd need to get one with a smaller body. regular sized guitars are too big and bulky. :P

@Ocarinacaro:

Hello fellow cellist! :D
If I can find anything that I want to sit down and learn I'll have to shoot you a message. :P

Ah the cello I got is an electric. For those times I don't feel like being heard I leave it unplugged. It sounds really nice plugged in, though. :3

tomg
Member Avatar
The bicycling ocarinist.
For my next instrument, I'm looking to get the Silk Road Flute by Geoffrey Ellis.

Link to Silk Road Flute

I already have a couple of xiao's and a quena made by him. They all are beautiful, in both sound and looks, instruments.

wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
Frozen
21 Apr 2014, 08:05 AM
A Handpan. I love it since I heard it the first time.
I want a Hang Drum soo bad, but, well, you know...
Just a little hard to get one of those ;)

ocarinacaro
Member Avatar
Cellocarinist needing new ideas for new designs :3
:P I got an electric cello too (Green Sojing) but I didnt play a lot so I sold it to someone who had fun to modify the instrument lol but the sound is sooooo cool

Ezuri
Member Avatar
Cajons look pretty interesting. I love hearing kissing use his in his backtracks

DarkAlchemist
Member Avatar
ocarinacaro
22 Apr 2014, 12:08 AM
:P I got an electric cello too (Green Sojing) but I didnt play a lot so I sold it to someone who had fun to modify the instrument lol but the sound is sooooo cool
Cool ^^ Mine is an NS Design 5 string(low F). I'm trying to learn how to do bass stuff with it so i can get some use out of the low F. xD

Traeak
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
I'm thinking a 5 string electric bass. Either a P/J setup or perhaps with some humbuckers. Need to go test drive a few. An electric cello might not bother me but I would prefer something tuned in 4ths and not 5ths (like an electric viola da gamba).

_Henry_
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I was gifted a classical guitar a few years ago, and it was taken back... So now I gotta find a new one, thinking a Taylor. I also kind of have a list of instruments I'd like to own one day - at the top of the list are a charango, a mountain dulcimer, and a jarana. I also need one of these. soon.
Edited by _Henry_, 22 Apr 2014, 06:05 AM.

DarkAlchemist
Member Avatar
Traeak
22 Apr 2014, 01:05 AM
I'm thinking a 5 string electric bass. Either a P/J setup or perhaps with some humbuckers. Need to go test drive a few. An electric cello might not bother me but I would prefer something tuned in 4ths and not 5ths (like an electric viola da gamba).
5ths are where it's at, Traeak. ;)

Ezuri
Member Avatar
Henry what is that thing...

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I'm planning on getting a quality Ukulele at some point.

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
lakilester5626
19 Apr 2014, 11:44 PM
Double-belled euphonium.
That's a great idea.... I play euphonium but I never had chance to try one of thouse.

Now I'm saving money to pay the new cavaquinho custom made that I order... (again... cavaquinho is the original Ukulele).

In a future I'm thinking on Dulcimer... after someone here had right about that, I become interested.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Ezuri
22 Apr 2014, 12:26 PM
Henry what is that thing...
It's called an Otamatone :)

_Henry_
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Yep! they are ridiculous but amazing haha

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I'm planning to get a concert flute again later this year. I had one when I was in middle school, but it's lost in my parents' house somewhere, and I don't think I'll ever find it again. I love the ocarina, but for some things that don't work very well for the ocarina, it would be nice to have another option. I've considered the recorder, but I like the sound of the flute better. It makes sense to stick with flute, because I also play tin whistle and native flute.

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

Ocarinadiva
22 Apr 2014, 07:48 PM
I'm planning to get a concert flute again later this year. I had one when I was in middle school, but it's lost in my parents' house somewhere, and I don't think I'll ever find it again. I love the ocarina, but for some things that don't work very well for the ocarina, it would be nice to have another option. I've considered the recorder, but I like the sound of the flute better. It makes sense to stick with flute, because I also play tin whistle and native flute.
I find the same thing, flute is a lot easier to play chromatically and (at least personally) the range is far easier to access than dealing with polychamber ocarinas.

I'm sure you would be very good at flute.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Instruments And Music · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ