Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Osawa Ocarina i Series Plastic; Plastic 12-Hole Ocarina distributed by Prima Gakki
Topic Started: 8 Apr 2014, 03:05 AM (5,664 Views)
Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Here's some info for the new Osawa Plastics: Link
It's designed for beginners and has a low breath requirement. Should be out sometime this month.

I'm really digging the yellow. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
Oh ! I didn't notice Osawa was producing Plastic Ocarinas now ! Thanks for the information Mark. I will wait to here someone's sound sample.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I am very curious about it too!
I will most likely get one since it is only 2,500 Yen. Same price as Focalink plastic. :)

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
It's a really good Price if the Osawa's plastic Ocarinas are the same or better quality than normal Fokalink plastic Ocarinas.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Woah, those look really nice. Any info on any more colors or tunings?

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

That's all the info I found. Nothing more. :/
Just Alto C and the colors listed. I like the Yellow and Red ones. :)

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Those look really cool! I may have to pick one up.
Edited by TheZ, 8 Apr 2014, 12:28 PM.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I like the red a lot. I guess these are being produced by Focalink for Osawa. It would be pretty cool if Songbird could stock these for US buyers wanting a different look in their plastic ocarina, plus different colors, though I'm curious how this sounds compared to the regular Focalink plastic. The curviness looks rather novelty to me.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I spoke to Osawa today and he says they should be out around the end of the month; but he wasn't very confident; so I assume sometime in May.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Did Osawa say how they would be sold? Like can we order them from Rakuten or Focalink/Stein direct?

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I didn't ask him; but I think you buy from Prima Gakki distributors.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
When you are ready to order one, you can let us know how to go about it. The language barrier is going to be a problem for those of us non fluent in Japanese. Maybe a tutorial like your guide to buying with Tenso.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

They are maybe a bit less ugly than the usual Focalink plastics, but it looks like your fingers would be in the same place as they are on a Dragontooth. No suggestion that their acoustic performance is a selling point. Not a lot there to tempt me.

What does Osawa know about plastic moulding technology, anyway? It's the engineer who really designed it who ought to have their name on the product.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
I believe that, design-wise, Osawa is responsible for defining the desired performance characteristics and things like aesthetic design and finger layout. The engineer then generates the technical specs based on that information. I do think it would be lovely if the engineers responsible for generating the technical/structural requirements and specifications got to have their names on products in general.

I wish that there was an Italian 10-hole plastic. Somebody needs to get on that.

Jubal
Member Avatar

Or a plastic that isn't in C would be great too.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
The problem there is that plastics molds are insanely expensive, typically on the order of $10,000+, so it's not feasible to make a plastic ocarina unless it'll generate high-volume sales. C being the most popular key, that's what gets made.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I asked Satsuki Yuba about it today; and she said that it's already been out since the end of March. You can buy them in music stores nationwide.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mark, do you mean nationwide in America? I haven't seen any music stores in my area that carry ocarinas, even the plastic Focalink or Dadi ocarinas.

Jubal
Member Avatar

I've looked on Rakuten and 10holes.com and couldn't find them.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
They aren't on OcarinaHouse, either.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

What's the price?

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
2,500 Japanese Yen, so just over $25 USD.

FrozenNorth
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 5
An alto C ocarina with a truly low breath requirement, that plays on pitch, would be of interest to me.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
You can preorder them from Studio Fiato (the name Osawa and Yuba go under conjunctionally).
http://studiofiato.shop-pro.jp/?mode=cate&cbid=1662469&csid=8
They don't have product pictures for each individual color, though.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

pandorado100
11 Apr 2014, 11:07 PM
Mark, do you mean nationwide in America? I haven't seen any music stores in my area that carry ocarinas, even the plastic Focalink or Dadi ocarinas.
I mean nationwide in Japan.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mark Chan
12 Apr 2014, 05:54 PM
pandorado100
11 Apr 2014, 11:07 PM
I mean nationwide in Japan.
Well that doesn't help much. I have relatives in Japan but communicating with them poses some difficulty since I am not fluent in the language. :(

I hope the ocarinas eventually get listed on Rakuten.

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Last year I ordered a very special Japanese CD. After that he amazon shop owner offered me to supply any product from Japan.
I could ask him about the plastic ocarinas.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I went to three music shops in Japan today; and none of them had any. I had one shop call Prima Gakki and they said they can have it next week. The only problem is that I leave this week. :/
Update: Satsuki and another Studio Fiato member is helping to expedite things for me; so I might be getting one after all (I plan on buying two). I seriously have no space to carry any more luggage, so I' won't be taking requests to acquire more. :/
Edited by Mark Chan, 14 Apr 2014, 02:42 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I went to Prima Gakki today and got two of the new plastics. These don't go on sale until April 21st; which explains why stores didn't have them. So I'm the first person to have purchased it. :D

They were revealed at Osawa's concert and were supposed to be kept on the down low; but Osawa blogged about it and word got out.

I have a lot of cool information; but I'll respect the company's request and not say anything until the release date. Doing so would be like somebody spoiling a surprise engagement announcement for someone on Facebook.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Heeheehee -- that's awesome!

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
I didn't realize the were in both Soprano and Alto C. Here's a video Prima-Gakki released Wednesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_3XVqD19-8

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Yep. I wish I could have bought one; but I didn't want to push my luck. I'm glad I was able to buy the AC.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Cute packaging on those.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

The person in the video is Fukase Kingo. Really nice person, and excellent Ocarinist. I met him on Thursday (Wednesday in the US) and had lunch together prior to getting the ocarinas. :)

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Nice! Making new friends has always been my favorite way to do business. It's nice to know there are people around the world that feel the same way. :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Here's a pic of mine:
Spoiler: click to toggle

I'll share more info and my thoughts on it later.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Was it developed from these?

Spoiler: click to toggle

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Looks like a banana, lol.

Anyways, the new Osawa i Series Plastics are made by Focalink; and the shape was designed by Osawa Satoshi himself. They are lighter and a bit smaller than the standard Focalink plastics. It was designed with Japanese players in mind, so it has even lighter breath requirements than the standard Focalink plastic. They go on sale today (4/21/2014) in Japan.

I haven't spent too much time with it; but I can give a quick first impressions review. It being lighter and smaller, I guess it's better to wear around the neck than the standard Focalink plastic (I haven't tried it since I don't feel the need to use the strap). Blowing into the ocarina feels like there's no back pressure; so people who like lighter breath ocarinas, this might be for you. Like other plastic ocarinas, it does suffer condensation after playing for a bit. It sounds similar to the standard Focalink plastic.

Not a deal breaker, but it would have been nice to see some grooves for the subholes. In my opinion, I think the standard Focalink plastic is better. The standard Focalink plastic feels better (in my hands) and has a more comfortable breath requirement (I like higher breath).

Would I recommend this? Unless you're a soft blower, I'd say go for the standard Focalink. I still think NIGHT by Noble is king in terms of plastic ocarinas though.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

No surprises here! The only thing it feels like the standard Focalink plastics lack in comparison to this one, those pretty colors.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
The thing that surprises me about plastic ocarinas (in general--I'm not talking about this specific model) is that now that we have really good 3D printing technology the prototyping process should be simplified when it comes to designing the molds, so one would expect a truly world-class professional quality one to come out fairly soon-ish. Plastics molds cost upwards of $10,000 apiece and the tooling cost paid off by volume sales. The cost of making a good one and the cost of making a bad one are virtually identical, other than time invested in design and prototyping. Might as well take the extra time and get it done right, 'cause once you make the molds you're pretty much stuck with them. An ocarina requires two molds, so I know I'd be doing my best to make my one shot at it really good.

On a related note I really hope someone comes out with an Italian style 10-hole plastic someday.

carbon

FortyTwoBlades
21 Apr 2014, 06:21 PM
...one would expect a truly world-class professional quality one to come out fairly soon-ish...
I think the Night by Noble plastic fits that description.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
I think it's the closest we have right now. I wouldn't quite consider it at that level, though. I mean a level of performance that can compete solidly against ceramic models.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

it would have been nice to see some grooves for the subholes

Pacchioni thinks different, and I agree. A subhole will usually be covered by a rolling motion, and a smooth convex surface works better for that. Whereas a split hole is usually covered by a lift-and-put-down-again move, where a groove helps locate the fingertip accurately.
Edited by Jack Campin, 21 Apr 2014, 07:46 PM.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
That makes sense, though I would point out that one could use grooves to alter the degree of convexity in designs where the layout of the ocarina causes there to be excessive curvature at the point on the body where the subholes are situated. Of course, one could simply design an ocarina that didn't present that challenge, but if deciding to make aesthetic concessions it would be one way to create ocarinas that had the curvature of the body adjusted only where needed.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

For me, the grooves aren't really to help play the subholes easier; but to serve a similar function as the nubs on the F and J keys on a keyboard to help locate the holes better. I find myself having to look at the ocarina to cover the holes sometimes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ