Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Spam Prevention
Topic Started: 16 Mar 2014, 12:11 PM (7,853 Views)
Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar
== Cirno -- Opinionated Baka ==

As you may have noticed Zetaboard's protection from spam seems to be really poor lately. We have just taken action to block a large IP range which most of the spam posts are being made from.

We hope this will cut down the amount of kitchens, shoes and jewellery posts without banning real members.

Please let me know if there are any problems with this block.

Thanks. :)

--Jack
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Thank you! :)
I was running out of things to say for every piece of spam, lol.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Thank you very much! :)

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

So we can still talk about kitchens as much as we want in the off topic section, right?

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
My KOL clan forums had to do the same thing. It is a sad thing that part of a global community has to be blocked from being on the forums because of spammers.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Yay! Thanks for the info, Jack c:

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Thanks Sam !

Montschok
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Just out of curiosity, who was blocked? China? Nigeria?

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Jubal
16 Mar 2014, 04:58 PM
So we can still talk about kitchens as much as we want in the off topic section, right?
Tea anyone? :-P

Thanks, Jack.

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

Mmm...tea and Spam.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
So you mean no one wanted to talk about kitchens in Bristol on an ocarina forum? Who knew? :D

(Kevin)
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
The new measures don't appear to be very effective. Another 4 spam threads (kitchen and Nike shoes) in the active topics section again today :c

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

I have an idea, why not have a javascript code that automatically deletes topics, and ban the spambot when the title contains "Nike air", "kitchen" or something?

speckles
Member Avatar
Ive been hypnotized

Banning and deleting these things gives my life meaning.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

It's alive !

Posted Image

geotjakra
Member Avatar
EpiCai Ocarina Maker
when I log in today, it seems to not register the first time around, and the screen refreshed to ask to log in again, is this a possible chukko's egg stealing people's username and password?

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar

Grimat
20 Mar 2014, 02:47 AM
I have an idea, why not have a javascript code that automatically deletes topics, and ban the spambot when the title contains "Nike air", "kitchen" or something?
I've thought about something similar, but writing JavaScript to do this sort of thing would be difficult because I don't want to end up banning members who mention kitchens for example in threads. (Reminds me of that bad YouTube caption of one of OD's videos where it translated her speech as "It's meant for a snack". I'll have to find that image at some point.)

Zetaboards have tried to offer a temporary solution as they say they cannot do much about this spam as unlike bots these spammers are actual people being paid a pittance to spam. This seems to make sense as some of them shove ocarina related things into their posts.
Their solution is a bit of a pain, and I'd have to talk with Sam and Stephen about doing it beforehand.

Basically we'd create a duplicate member group and put everyone into the new group. New members would stay in the old group and once they've made one post can join the rest of the group.
If we made it so they could only reply to the single topic in there and make their first post moderator queue, we'd eliminate all of the spam from ever showing.
It'd be a bit odd for new members, but the spam is rather annoying. (Although since the ban there has definitely been less (none since the 6+2 the day before)).

The IP ban will never hit them all, several of them were using random IP addresses, the ban is to stop the idiot ones all coming from the same range. I'm not sure how much the range spans geographically.

speckles
20 Mar 2014, 03:43 AM
Banning and deleting these things gives my life meaning.
But if we got rid of them that flying unicorn would emerge from a rainbow!

geotjakra
20 Mar 2014, 04:59 AM
when I log in today, it seems to not register the first time around, and the screen refreshed to ask to log in again, is this a possible chukko's egg stealing people's username and password?
Weird, although did it say anything upon the refresh or not?
Something I seemingly noticed recently is that Zetaboards doesn't use SSL for log-ins as far as I can tell, which means your password goes as plaintext to the server. >.>;
How insecure is that.

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
How about just switching on the admin approval for new accounts? It might help if the bot is not able to post instantly.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Don't delete the spam messages. Simply add the originating IP and routing and registration info for both the poster and the site being advertised, then lock the thread to prevent the spammer deleting it. You can guarantee somebody on the forum lives within baseball-bat-swinging range.

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Has anyone had any trouble with pop ups on TON? I have never had to deal with them in the past, but got one the other day and now again today...

Pop up ad?

Is that a pop up ad? I didn't dare press ok.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I've never seen it, but then again, I have popup windows disabled.

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar

Perhaps Zetaboards have resorted to pop-up adverts to make revenue. We cannot control this, and as they won't give us a copy of the database we can't do anything about moving from Zetaboards.

Montschok
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
All posts are accessible with http so it's not impossible.

Someone has already started working such a script : https://github.com/djm/zetaboards-backup

Also read this :
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=727865
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1761395
Edited by Montschok, 20 Mar 2014, 11:56 PM.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Please notice the dates on those (the phpbb topics are from 2009/2008) Zetaboards and phpBB have both dramatically changed from those days, so they might not work. One of our biggest problems is finding a way to preserve the users and content, which is why we wanted the database. Our backup plan is essentially to save the zb forums as an archive, and just link to them from a new site, but we haven't decided whether or not we will do that, or even if we will upgrade to a new site (I've been making the argument to do it for a long time now, and its only getting stronger)

Also, another IP range has been found, with only spammers using it, and that has been blocked as well (this range was all kitchen spam)

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar

I'll try to poke around on the weekend and see if I can come up with some sort of script for this.

Hmm...

BornToBeBanned

Testing something --Jack

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar

I thought I'd like to update everyone, over the weekend I wrote a PHP script which runs on my VPS once every 5 minutes and scans the active topics for spam topics (it won't catch them all, but I'm willing to keep trying to make it better). If it finds a spam topic then it bans the member, trashes their topic, and then posts into our "Mod Log" warning us that spam has been detected as shown below. :)

SpamBuster's posts
Attached to this post:
Attachments: SpamScriptInAction.png (87.49 KB)

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

Good work

Hopefully it gets better

Archiving it all and moving would be a shame i think. Besides when we were down for a month this place became a ghost town. I couldnt imagine what archiving would do to numbers

Still though, if it continues it may be necessary

Is there a setup that would allow you guys to have to approve the first three posts by a user? Or even the first for that matter? Would seem like an awful lot of trouble for a bot to go through

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar

Philip
24 Mar 2014, 11:14 AM
Is there a setup that would allow you guys to have to approve the first three posts by a user? Or even the first for that matter? Would seem like an awful lot of trouble for a bot to go through
The problem is is that Zetaboards are terrible at informing us that posts need approval. There is no way to get a list of them, they don't appear anywhere except on the sub-forum where they are or in the thread if it's a post (I swear they used to appear in the Report CP, but Zetaboards claim otherwise).

It makes approving the first post for real members a pain, unless we say the first post has to be in a single thread (like the welcome thread) which is very restricting.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
Thank you, Jack. :)

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Elven Spellmaker
24 Mar 2014, 10:18 AM
I thought I'd like to update everyone, over the weekend I wrote a PHP script which runs on my VPS once every 5 minutes and scans the active topics for spam topics (it won't catch them all, but I'm willing to keep trying to make it better). If it finds a spam topic then it bans the member, trashes their topic, and then posts into our "Mod Log" warning us that spam has been detected as shown below. :)

SpamBuster's posts
It looks like it is working. I noticed a new spam had appeared, and when I tried to report it, it got deleted before I could.

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar

It seems to be working, three the first night, six during yesterday and three again last night, with only a two getting through rate (for reasons which I won't mention here in-case they're listening in).

Just keep reporting the topics that get through, bear in mind my script runs every five minutes which means they'll be around for a maximum of five minutes.

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

Awesome work Jack! Thank you!

Samuel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Elven Spellmaker
25 Mar 2014, 10:53 AM
It seems to be working, three the first night, six during yesterday and three again last night, with only a two getting through rate (for reasons which I won't mention here in-case they're listening in).
Maybe don't mention the numbers either?

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar

My server had a wobbly night it seems, sorry about that.

Script started back up. :)

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

I can't imagine it would be *that* difficult to write a script to scrape the content off this site and pit it into a DB. Running it would take a long time though and you would ideally need to freeze posting while it's running.

Ootfifa
Member Avatar
plastic ocarinist
but seriously doe, whats with the kitchen?

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

We could tell you but then Vance Miller would have to kill you.

stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
What's spam?
I'm not talking about the meat

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
stealthheartocarina_z
15 Jul 2015, 12:28 AM
What's spam?
I'm not talking about the meat
Spam can take more than one form. The most common one is all of those emails you get advertising stuff you don't want being sold by people you never heard of.

Spam on a message board is the same sort of thing. A bot will create an account then post one or more messages advertising a product and normally has a link to a website (that may or may not be legitimate). In the past we have gotten a lot of messages for Nike shoes and Kitchen remodels on this site.

stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Thx.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Making many irrelevant posts can also be considered "spamming"

Pori
Member Avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Elven Spellmaker
20 Mar 2014, 01:40 PM
Basically we'd create a duplicate member group and put everyone into the new group. New members would stay in the old group and once they've made one post can join the rest of the group.
If we made it so they could only reply to the single topic in there and make their first post moderator queue, we'd eliminate all of the spam from ever showing.
It'd be a bit odd for new members, but the spam is rather annoying. (Although since the ban there has definitely been less (none since the 6+2 the day before)).
so...is this why i can't update my profile or add a new topic? :S

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Pori
12 Oct 2015, 12:27 AM
Because you are new. Once you make a few more post you will be able to.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Pori
12 Oct 2015, 12:27 AM
Elven Spellmaker
20 Mar 2014, 01:40 PM
Yes, once you make a few posts, all the restrictions go away. I honestly don't think we've had a spammer yet since the changes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ