Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Stonehenge Ocarina; US ocarina maker
Topic Started: 25 Dec 2013, 04:51 AM (5,490 Views)
SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
Mine should be here in the next day or two. I'll let you guys know what I find...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Here's my video with the Stonehenge Ocarina. In order to play in tune, I had to cut my breath back as if I was trying to be quiet not to let the neighbors hear. It's tuned accurately to A if you play with very little breath. If I play with my preferred breath pressure, it'd be Bb.

Koi Suru Fortune Cookie

And here's the un-modified sound sample: Link
Edited by Mark Chan, 8 Jan 2014, 04:58 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Your video sounds great on the lower notes but I hear a teensy bit of squeaking on the high notes. Maybe it needs less breath on the upper end? I'll have to see if I get the same effect if I try to push my Stonehenge on the high notes.

Remember how I said that I sometimes get F natural instead of E when I play the scale? I find I have to really cut my breath to get the E. The rest of the notes are in tune according to the Korg tuner.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

The highest note is supposed to be a C#; but I think I blew C with breath cut; so anymore breath cut, the note would be even more off. Blow harder and you just get air.

fireash
Pendant Ocarinist
pandorado100
8 Jan 2014, 12:45 AM
Definitely an alto. It has a really mellow, textured sound. Not shrill at all, even on the top notes.
Oh awesome. So excited. I keep checking the USPS tracking to see if it is any closer. My excitement has leaked into my husband. He wants to play now too. :D

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I think I just have to get used to the breath requirements of the Stonehenge. It takes a lighter touch than my Focalink or Casper pendants. I also feel it does better with slower, more melodic tunes. They seem to suit its sound characteristcs better than bright, peppy songs.

I've been working on a couple of songs on the Stonehenge. If I have time tomorrow, I'll make some recordings and put them up on my Sound Cloud.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Alex posted this on his FB page:

Stonehenge Designs

Last chance to get these ocarinas at these prices !! Last of the Christmas sales ! Once they are sold it's back to full retail prices. Get them NOW !!

Stonehenge Xmas sale

Update: He just posted some non Zelda ocarinas on eBay. $30 with free shipping.

speckled green

purple pink

orange froth
Edited by pandorado100, 10 Jan 2014, 12:51 AM.

Stonehenge Alex
Member Avatar

Hey everyone ! Sorry for the delay in posting. I forgot my username and password so after many guesses I finally got it right !

Let me start by saying the response from this site has been amazing. I have sold ocarinas to many of you on here and some have even posted videos to my facebook of them playing my ocarinas. I have decided to ignore all comments by those that seem narrow minded and enjoy the group for all those that are very positive and supporting a new artist/business.

Those of you that have received my ocarinas seem to be pleased with the sound, look, and feel, of my ocarinas. As a person that plays as well as makes ocarinas I strive to get the sound and tuning right first then worry about looks. I hope I make you happy with your purchases.

I recently sold at a Comic Con in Galveston and got a huge reaction from the celebrities at the event. Syrio from Game of Thrones wanted a Zelda 6 hole, because he's a Zelda fan !! I also had requests from Bruce Boxleitner (Tron) and Marshall Teague (Roadhouse, Babylon 5) that they wanted an ocarina due to how beautiful they thought the sound was. They were all subjected to my playing all weekend. Each of them got an ocarina and I got a pic with each one. Check them out here - facebook.com/stonehengedesigns .

As long as I keep getting such great response from the majority of people that actually hear and hold my ocarinas, I will be glad to shrug off others negative comments.

Thanks again for your support and I hope to post here more often !! As I know better than anyone else my art has room to grow and improve, I will hope that some hearts are won over eventually.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Welcome back Alex! I look forward to seeing your future projects! :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
That's awesome that you got celebrities interested in your ocarinas, Alex. The actor who played Arya Stark's dancing master, Syrio, is one of my favorite side characters in Game of Thrones. I love the idea of him playing songs in between his sword fighting. :)

Don't forget to post links to your ocarina pictures once you've uploaded them to your website. Some people here are very interested in getting one of your pendants without the Zelda triforce symbol.

Stonehenge Alex
Member Avatar

Ocarinas without Triforce !! These were made in a limited quantity, so what you see is what I got. They are all one of a kind and when they're gone there will be no more until mid February when I return to my Studio to make more. Thanks again to the support from this page !! http://www.ebay.com/usr/stonehengesculpture

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Stonehenge Alex
10 Jan 2014, 04:04 PM
Ocarinas without Triforce !! These were made in a limited quantity, so what you see is what I got. They are all one of a kind and when they're gone there will be no more until mid February when I return to my Studio to make more. Thanks again to the support from this page !! http://www.ebay.com/usr/stonehengesculpture
Alex, when I click on your eBay link, it takes me to a page that only displays your Zelda Stonehenge pendants. The only way I could see your pendants without the triforce was to follow the links you posted for each one on your FB page. Incidentally, I copied those links and added them to my post in one of the earlier messages in this thread. Since I didn't know the names of your glazes, I improvised by calling them, speckled green, purple pink and orange froth.

Forgive me, I was not insulting your ocarinas, just trying to be descriptive. :grin:

I am wondering if I need to refresh my cache. Can somebody tell me how I can force Internet Explorer to download the latest version of a webpage?
Edited by pandorado100, 10 Jan 2014, 06:23 PM.

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
My Stonehenge pendant arrived yesterday! I love it, it's pretty and it sounds wonderful. I love the glaze and color. I think this will be my go-to pendant.

Thank you Alex! I'll post links to pics and or vids when I get the chance to take and/or make them. :D

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Carmelita
11 Jan 2014, 02:07 PM
My Stonehenge pendant arrived yesterday! I love it, it's pretty and it sounds wonderful. I love the glaze and color. I think this will be my go-to pendant.

Thank you Alex! I'll post links to pics and or vids when I get the chance to take and/or make them. :D
Grats! It's good to hear that others like them.
I'm going to make another video because I'm convinced that mine is in Bb.
I'll play something else with a backtrack that actually matches.

Stonehenge Alex
Member Avatar

Mark Chan, I admit, sometimes they go towards A# if I don't get the interior space just right. If you want I will make you another with the perfect A. I thought the one you have sounded like it could go one way or the other depending on how hard you blow. Alas, when you have prices like I do and do the volume that I do, one or two always slips through the cracks. I always try to check each ocarina on the tuner, but no one's perfect.

I am happy to hear those of you that have bought my ocarinas like them. I like doing different glazes, and I like spreading music. Thank you and enjoy !!

EduVolts
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Hmmm..... :think: These Stonehenge ocarinas look great! It's always good to know more makers! :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Stonehenge Alex
11 Jan 2014, 11:03 PM
Mark Chan, I admit, sometimes they go towards A# if I don't get the interior space just right. If you want I will make you another with the perfect A. I thought the one you have sounded like it could go one way or the other depending on how hard you blow. Alas, when you have prices like I do and do the volume that I do, one or two always slips through the cracks. I always try to check each ocarina on the tuner, but no one's perfect.

I am happy to hear those of you that have bought my ocarinas like them. I like doing different glazes, and I like spreading music. Thank you and enjoy !!
Thank you Alex. I'm actually ok with what I have since I don't have a pendant in Bb. I was playing along with some songs in Eb major and Bb major today; and it it sounded great. :)

Stonehenge Alex
Member Avatar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321296853510?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321296860067

With some minor problems with the glaze but they are spot on A440. I am selling these at an auction price. If you you want a one of a kind ocarina with perfect tuning, but don't want to pay perfect prices check these out ! The Imperfections are minor but the sound is awesome !

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I made another video with the Stonehenge ocarina. This time my intonation is much better because I played at a breath pressure closer to my preference. That makes it a Bb ocarina. And with a Bb backtrack; it sounds much better! Note that this applies to my particular ocarina. Others may not be the same.

"Samurai Girl" on Stonehenge Ocarina

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I have a question for you, Mark. How are you able to get your backtracks in specific keys? I've gotten tracks from Karaoke Online but they only allow you to transpose a song up or down two semitones which means I sometimes have to transpose my sheets to fit the tracks.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I have a question for you, Mark. How are you able to get your backtracks in specific keys? I've gotten tracks from Karaoke Online but they only allow you to transpose a song up or down two semitones which means I sometimes have to transpose my sheets to fit the tracks.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Changing key and tempo comes standard in most Japanese karaoke machines. I have a Japanese karaoke app on my phone that let's me do the same thing. Since it's all midi; quality doesn't suffer. I try not to transpose though. I like to play in the original key.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
He just put up two more on his eBay page. A pendant and a transverse, both Zelda-themed. It's been a while since he's made anything though (or at least put anything for sale online)... Maybe he took some of the advice he got here and worked some stuff out? I remember people telling him to get more acquainted with 12-hole transverses, so perhaps he's gone and fixed the tuning and all (admittedly, it sure doesn't look that way from the hole sizes). Well, who knows. They're there.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I agree they don't look tuned to me either, but I am no expert on transverse ocarinas.

agocs
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
I received my Stonehenge pendant (transverse shape) last week. It looks really beautiful, I mean really, the glazing pattern is awesome, but the tuning is totally useless. It has nothing to do with a major scale. (No matter how hard I tried to get it with proper intonation.) It's a great disappointment... I almost :brokenoc: it, I was so angry... Is anyone is interested in it's "scale", it can be found here.

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Take a dremel and increase the the size of the hole for the right dexter.
Edited by Claytone, 21 Jul 2014, 09:41 AM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Aww man, that sucks! It's a real shame you had to pay all that money for a paper weight. I also have a few ocarinas that I want to :brokenoc: because the are so bad.

I bought a Dobani pendant with really low expectations hoping it'd be poorly tuned so I can tune it myself. Sure enough, that's how it turned out. The ocarina was not tuned at all, so I used a dremel and tuned it to be playable. I even converted it from a 5-hole to a 6-hole.
Edited by Mark Chan, 21 Jul 2014, 12:39 PM.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Huh... That's unfortunate. I thought that, of anything he has for sale, his pendants would at least be in tune (though I wasn't expecting much from the transverses). Or they sure looked like it. Plus, both Jeanne and Mark mentioned ordering a pendant on this thread, and I don't recall them having problems, which I'm sure they would've noticed. And the first 8 seconds of this video show him playing a scale that sounds pretty much in tune (though maybe not perfect). I'm not sure why yours was so different... maybe he uses a different fingering system than the normal English one, but from the hole sizes and the video, I'm not sure that's the case. Hmm... Well, I'm sure that there's some reason for it.
Edited by Amerred, 21 Jul 2014, 02:29 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I have a Stonehenge pendant. I don't recall having any major issues with the tuning. This is Scotland the Brave played on the Stongehenge.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdmw8uh03875hxu/ScotlandtheBrave_StonehengeA.wav

For comparison, the same song on a Tenrai pendant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vcjkor9wrb2vd7/ScotlandtheBrave_TenraiA.wav

I'm a so-so player so maybe that's why I can't see much of a difference between them.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Mine was supposed to be tuned to the A major scale, but I suspect something in the firing process caused it to go sharp, essentially turning it into a Bb pendant. Here's a sample of mine:
Stonehenge Ocarina Recording
The song doesn't showcase every note; but it's a fully playable ocarina. It's really weak on the top end though.

For about the same amount of money, you can get a Casper 7-hole pendant; which I think are some of the best pendants in the world. It has the same range as a 10-hole (more if it has a subhole) and the high notes are solid.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Hmm... Well, at least the ones that you two have were in tune with themselves, it sounds like. I'm not sure what happened with yours, agocs. Maybe you could contact the maker about it if you wanted to. The only other thing I think might be causing the problem is the breath slope - I was slow to bring it up, because I don't want to doubt your ability or experience without actually knowing you very well at all, but it's very possible that the notes could be out of tune with each other if you didn't follow the breath slope, which admittedly can sometimes be hard to find, especially on ocarinas like this - that is, a single-man amateur maker. I would suggest going through each note on the scale and altering your breath pressure until the note is in tune. It's worked for me on quite a few (antique) ocarinas that I had otherwise lost hope in.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

This is Scotland the Brave played on the Stonehenge.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdmw8uh03875hxu/ScotlandtheBrave_StonehengeA.wav

It's in B. Is that what you thought you were getting?

Quote:

a single-man amateur maker

Someone who's sold 15,000 ocarinas isn't my idea of an amateur - Menaglio hasn't sold that many. That's a big enough operation that it seems reasonable to expect professional standards. Like telling the customer what pitch and fingering system they'll get.
Edited by Jack Campin, 21 Jul 2014, 09:22 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Jack Campin

It's in B. Is that what you thought you were getting?

Is that right? I can't tell without using a tuner. Alex claims that he tunes his ocarinas to A 440 but I suspect he has the same problem that Robert has mentioned before in other threads. Namely, that unless you have a way to consistently blow with the same amount of force, the pitch will change. I've seen a picture that Otsuka Gakkiseisakujo posted on FB of one of the technicians in his factory using an air pressure gauge while tuning an ocarina. I have a feeling that Alex doesn't have such a device.

Whether we like his ocarinas or not, he does have a pretty big following. He does good business selling his wares at renaissance festivals and comic cons. He is not catering to experienced ocarina enthusiasts but to members of the general public who want something inexpensive that they can tootle on for fun. At least his ocarinas have a more workable scale than Peruvians and god knows you can't browse through eBay without coming across dozens of listings for those.

I have to agree with Mark about Casper pendants being a much better option. I have several of them and have been very pleased. I also like my Focalink pendants. :grin:

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Huh. Well, he did say that he's been making ocarinas for 7 years, and that he's made 15,000 ocarinas...

But can he prove that he's made so many ocarinas? This is still one man. When he came to this forum, he had never actually played a transverse ocarina and he was looking for Kickstarter donations, and the donations were because he was starting his own business. He couldn't possibly have a big enough operation to be considered anywhere near Menaglio. That doesn't mean exceptional standards shouldn't be expected - they should be represented to the best of a maker's abilities, whether they are successful professionals or not. But that doesn't mean all makers will do it, and so it obviously wouldn't be wise to invest your faith, especially in smaller makers like this who are new to the ocarina scene. While it's admirable that he was able to teach himself and get this far without much experience in the ocarina world outside of Renaissance fair pendants, it won't bring him up to the level of Menaglio, or most other makers.

He doesn't need to be professional and so he won't try to be as much. He's similar to Daniel (at least, in his earlier stages) in those regards - we, as experienced ocarina people, are not the primary demographic. Both makers market their wares to people at fairs, festivals, etc. because these people don't know how to look for quality, and so they don't have to try nearly as hard to impress anyone in order to make their money. There are a lot of Renaissance fair makers, but we never hear about them. It's because people buy from the makers that are professional, that make quality items. The guys that half-ass it because they can get away with it don't get noticed. In any case, I guess it's good that Daniel and Alex and the like are at least trying to appeal to the ocarina world, even if they are a bit stubborn (again, because they've been able to get away with a faster, easier method when dealing with the others).

That's why some people work for years before revealing their products to the ocarina community and ONLY to the ocarina community, and we applaud them for their work, while others work for a shorter time, present their work to the masses, and THEN present to the ocarina world in an ambitious move to try to increase their customer base (and hopefully get higher prices), only to curry suspicion and possibly even disfavor. While writing this, I've noticed that the makers that work to fit the ocarina community right off the bat, such as Hunter King (THKstoneworks) or Giorgio Cataldi (Tytoalba) have been pretty well-received, while the ones like Alex and Daniel have run into problems because the stuff they've been peddling won't cut it when they're dealing with professional makers. Not that that's a bad thing - it's almost certainly better for them that they get pushed into making quality ocarinas. But I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can't compare Menaglio and Alex, even if he does make the incredible claim of having sold 15,000 ocarinas*. They're different types of makers completely - one a professional who caters to the ocarina community and the other a hobbyist/businessman who caters to... tourist-type people, I guess, and sees the ocarina community as a viable option to get customers and maybe gain some notoriety.

*This whole thing with the 15,000 ocarinas reminds me of reading about Sojiro on this website. It talked about him like some mythical idol so much that it was kind of funny. It talked about how he was the apprentice of this local ocarina maker, and practiced till dawn every night, and lived for years by himself, and made all of his kilns with his bare hands, and fired over 10,000 ocarinas (See? He even allegedly beats Sojiro), and only kept about ten for himself... the site's right here, actually.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I think the main difference with Sojiro was that in his journey of learning his craft, he was making all those thousands of ocarinas for his own music, to pursue his own ideal sound - not for a business. If you listen to Sojiro's music, the tone of his ocarinas is really exquisite. Out of the thousands of ocarinas that he made during those years, he still performs with about ten or so that turned out the best from all of that work. I think that's pretty cool.

Sojiro is one of my ocarina heroes. His work has introduced so many people to the ocarina over the years, and I think he also sets the bar really high for ocarina players by having such excellent intonation, which requires really good breath control.

I'm looking forward to finally meeting him next month in Japan!!!
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 22 Jul 2014, 12:45 AM.

carbon

At our last meetup the new guy had a Stonehenge ocarina. After hearing other ocarinas he became very interested in other options available. I think he had been struggling with it. I didn't talk to him how he felt about his Stonehenge purchase, but he seemed very keen to get a replacement fast. He actually bought an Aria immediately after the meetup.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Ocarinadiva
22 Jul 2014, 12:34 AM
I think the main difference with Sojiro was that in his journey of learning his craft, he was making all those thousands of ocarinas for his own music, to pursue his own ideal sound - not for a business. If you listen to Sojiro's music, the tone of his ocarinas is really exquisite. Out of the thousands of ocarinas that he made during those years, he still performs with about ten or so that turned out the best from all of that work. I think that's pretty cool.
Yeah... It's kind of like the original GOB members, who made ocarinas for themselves to perform with. Though it seems that the ocarina is one of the few instruments which some people are able to still make for themselves (or, in a stretch, design and have made for them). A lot of other instruments are really complicated, so the closest you'd get with more popular instruments is that oboes and bassoons make their own reeds - and that's really only among those who are more experienced, serious about it, etc.

In both cases, of reeds and ocarinas, I find it cool that theses people not only have the skill to craft a quality product for their own use, but they also are suddenly able to craft a product that fits them. As you said, Sojiro made them to pursue his own idea sound. The site even that there are some that only Sojiro could really play, could breathe life into. I can't imagine the boost in quality you would get all-around as a player from being able to customize your instrument, or even such an instrumental part (no pun intended) as a reed, to fit your own preferences. I mean, I can't do that - I don't have the materials or the know-how to just up and make an ocarina, and on the clarinet, my only way of customizing reeds is to either sand it down a bit (don't worry, I use reed rush, not actual sandpaper) or use this weird little contraption to cut the tip off. And believe me, that's not gonna alter my playing like MAKING your own instrument/accessories would.
Edited by Amerred, 22 Jul 2014, 04:13 PM.

gytech
Member Avatar
The opinionated quiet guy.

I was at Comic Con last weekend and I bought one from Stonehenge. Much like others, when I use a soft breath, I got Bb, and I love he sound of it. The high notes are pretty good and it's a nice unique key for me. :) It took me a few tries to get the right breath pressure, but for the most part, it's a gey solid sounding Ocarina!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
A lot of people here have been very disparaging of Stonehenge Ocarinas because of their own preferences in ocarina design but it is possible to get a lovely sound out of them. Admittedly, they are more rustic in appearance than a Focalink or Casper pendant but they can be coaxed to sing beautifully. Alex posted a video of David Ramos playing a Stonehenge ocarina on his FB page. This link may not work for everybody. You have to have a FB account I think.

Stonehenge Ocarina

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
He looks like he has some nice new glazes/design options as well. At least he's still doing stuff, and marketing to people. Seeing as how his pendants are in tune (as I recall), I'd rather him be doing that than giving up making altogether.

DavidRamos
Member Avatar

I did meet Alex and Amy (the makers) in Tulsa, and they are both very sweet. Alex primarily makes the ocarinas and he was kind enough to let me try several. He admitted that he is still developing his 10 and 12 hole ocarinas, especially in the upper range, but their 6 hole ocarinas were pretty good. He really has some beautiful glazes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ