Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
United States Ocarina Association; more locations coming soon!
Topic Started: 1 Nov 2013, 07:31 PM (5,921 Views)
carbon

For a long while Cris Gale and I have been discussing starting an ocarina association. We talked at length about bringing not only ocarina players together, but entire communities from around the world. This IS achievable, but it's going to take a good bit of work and coordination. Right now we're just establishing the United States Ocarina Association, but we hope to add partner organizations in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan soon. We also hope to help start chapters around the country. David Ramos' idea of guilds was a good idea, but I think the word "guild" kind of makes people think it is exclusive or that there are rules. We are also working on free resources to give to chapters to make it less daunting of an undertaking. The DFW Ocarina Guild is now the DFW Ocarina Association - sounds snazzy huh?

In addition to that, Cris is working on a free method book. I've been working on the website and have put a structure in place that should work in many languages and allow it to grow as needed. I have plans for a catalog for sheet music that works something like the Ocarina Catalog. Of course, we're working on next year's festival. I think the term "festival" is more fitting and appropriate. Also, partnering with other organizations is much easier when they're working on an ocarina festival, not just a "meetup".

Here's the website : http://ocarinaassociation.org

If you want to help, sign up for the mailing list and pick the option that best describes how you'd like to help. As you can plainly see, I'm not too good at web graphics/artsy stuff. Also, if you have any feedback or advice, we're all ears.

I'd also like to note that such a thing is not possible without a community like TON. Everything has to start somewhere and the efforts of the TON administrators and many people in this community have made even starting the Ocarina Association possible. Simply being here and helping "noobs" on a day to day basis is an amazing contribution.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Good luck with your efforts Jon. One of the obstacles many of us ocarinists face is the feeling of isolation we have since there are so few of us in our communities. If you and Cris can help people find a way to connect with each other, that will be a great start. :)

carbon

That's someone we're working on. Also, it isn't just Cris and I. We've also enlisted the help of Cornell Kinderknecht too. He's a very talented ocarinist that plays NCWs. He also has a TON of experience working with charities and is very keen to help. We are also open to adding more team members, both locally and virtually.

We have some plans to try to make it easier for ocarina enthusiasts to find each other. It's going to take some time, but I think we can do it. The main thing right now is just getting the word out and getting signups on the mailing list. The mailing list has a location field and the larger it gets, the better the chance of connecting people.

decrotie2004
Member Avatar
Mushi-Master
I have signed up for the mailing list and would love to help in what ways I can. I have very little Musical background but I have great people skills and I love free styling on my ocarina. let me know either in a pm or email how I can help. my email is johndecrotie@hotmail.com

FrozenNorth
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 5
I signed up, too. If there was ever a gathering in Minnesota/South Dakota/North Dakota/Manitoba, I would be happy to attend.

aniki91344
Member Avatar
up up down down left right left right B A start
What exactly does it mean to "start a chapter"?

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Cool! I was also wondering what starting a chapter meant. I was thinking that chapter may be a synonym for group or division.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
I am signed up for the mailing list, and volunteered to start a chapter, whether it be the Northwest chapter, Washington State chapter or Whatcom County chapter, whatever, I am ready to go! Connecting with others in person is so great, I was SO happy to have been able to be at the Big D Big Ocarina Meetup. We just need to be able to do that countywide, statewide, regionally, or whatever it takes ! Thanks, Jon and Cris!!!!
Edited by Pat Anderson, 2 Nov 2013, 05:41 AM.

carbon

There was a problem with the menu system on the website that I just fixed. Now Chapters has a drop-down that shows the sub-items.

Here's what we wrote for the website :

Quote:

A chapter is an ocarina meetup group. We use the term chapters because rather than thinking each meetup group as a separate entity, we want to consider them parts of a whole. The idea is that we are all working together to make each of our chapters better, as well as promoting the goals of the entire association.

Thanks for signing up Pat. Send me or Cris an email with your contact information for the chapter page and I'll add you. You can encompass as large of an area you'd like, though I'd try to keep it within a distance that people would willingly drive.

For everyone that's signed up to help and to start chapters, I'll be in touch soon. I'm currently developing a system that will allow chapters to update their own information and maybe even have an all chapter blog and calendar. As more people become active, we'll add new features as needed. For people that have volunteered to write articles, I'm working on a system for signups to the website too. These updates will take time and there will be a staged rollout. The site launched today, but I don't think it will be finished for some time - if ever.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Great idea! You should tap into the existing ocarina guilds that David Ramos has started.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Moved to where this belongs.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
If in the event something goes wrong, can you un-sign yourself? :? I'm just the cautious type...

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Wow, this is most excellent!! Thanks so much for sharing, Jon! :D

Um, would it be acceptable for those of us who reside in Canada to start chapters? Or would we be considered partners? Just curious ^.^

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Jill theredhedgehog
2 Nov 2013, 08:14 PM

Um, would it be acceptable for those of us who reside in Canada to start chapters? Or would we be considered partners? Just curious ^.^
I sense the beginnings of the International Ocarina Association.
Edited by Wollemi Pine, 2 Nov 2013, 08:20 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Wollemi Pine
2 Nov 2013, 08:18 PM
Jill theredhedgehog
2 Nov 2013, 08:14 PM

That would be amaaaaziiiiiiing! :boogie:

carbon

Wollemi Pine : Yes, some of the guilds have been in contact with me or Cris. I hope that they decide to list themselves with the association.

Zero Tolerance : Yes. That's no problem. Eventually I'll have a system in place where you can remove your chapter yourself. The mailing list has an unsubscribe option that's automated.

Stephen Bobchin : Thank you.

Jill : Yes, international chapters are definitely welcome. You can start a local chapter or start working on a national chapter. Either way works. Chapters/Partners is kind of a loose thing until the other national associations are set up. I'll be listing everything on the Locate A Chapter page until it gets big enough to warrant subdomains like http://unitedstates.ocarinaassociation.org Even then the main site will still list everything.

Wollemi

That is the ultimate goal. To create a place for the entire world to work together and pool our resources.

Like : ocarinaassociation.org is the worldwide site and then each country will have a subdomain. In some cases I'll build the website and in some cases it will just point to an existing website in a google translate wrapper.
Edited by carbon, 2 Nov 2013, 08:33 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Terrific :) I shall have to look into this a little further and get on that list!

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I would love to meet up with other ocarina players, but so far I haven't been able to find anyone locally that has even heard of them. :(

FrozenNorth
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 5
A stupid (really stupid) question. Is there software available to let, say 4 people to have a virtual guild, via some sort of videoconferencing? I know that teachers can teach individuals via Skype, but is it possible for more people to communicate simulataneously?

I ask, because I live in a more rural area, and I'm guessing that organizing a local guild will be impossible.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

TON has its own Skype channel, not to mention TinyChat.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Man, I want to start a chapter, but it probably won't happen until after December. I kind of made a dumb mistake by signing up for two months of Ukulele lessons in Delaware; making me unavailable on Saturday afternoons. I could make Sunday meetups, but who wants to meet on a Sunday? lol

mkmusic
Member Avatar
Voice Artist & Musician
Ok, I'm loving this concept and would love to help it grow, but can I get some idea of what it means to start a chapter, and/or write resources for the organization?

I just don't want to commit to something I can't truly contribute my best effort to.

carbon

We're working on our first newsletter and will hopefully send it out by the end of the week. Volunteers will get additional emails depending on which categories they've expressed an interest. Offering to help or starting a chapter isn't a binding commitment. You can unsubscribe anytime you want and can request your information be removed from the chapter page at any time.

Starting a chapter can simply mean that you are willing to be the contact person for other ocarina enthusiasts for your area. Together you all may decide to do meetups, or you may not. Every chapter starts with one person being willing to put out their information for others to find them. If you want to proactively grow your chapter, then we want to help you with that too. The more chapters we have, the better the chance of other enthusiasts finding one another.

The creation/writing of resources depends on each individual. Some people may write articles, some may transcribe music, and others may create graphics. Everyone has different talents/skills and just because a person's talents may not lie with what is listed doesn't mean we don't need the help. If you want to write one article or one hundred, you're a welcome addition to the team!

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

I'm in the progress of starting up an Ocarina group in my county, I shall hopefully join you as an international partner

itsgottensunny
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Just signed up. I'd love to do everything in my power to bring ocarinists in my area together and to help the instrument flourish. :) I'm really excited to volunteer all the help I can!

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I'm gonna start something up in Baltimore and Northern Delaware.

Darwin
Member Avatar
Talent = Hard work + Passion
Hi, I am now a member of the United States Ocarina Association, looking forward to open a chapter in Honduras in the near future!

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
I'm behind this one hundred percent. Anyone in the Carolinas, North or South--please drop me a line! :)

Danny Delaney
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I'm so stoked to be a part of this beginning! :) You know, this is exceptionally similar to what some of the national Fraternities/Sororities in the U.S. are like. They have an encompassing larger body housed at the national headquarters that provides a framework for the individual chapters to build off of. No 2 chapters are the same but they are all driven, ideally, by the same ideals/values/goals. I'm a part of a very successful, and, in my opinion, very proactive and progressive Fraternity called Delta Sigma Phi. I personally know several people from our national headquarters - I'll see if they have any tips for us. Perhaps I can put together a sort-of guidebook for starting a chapter!

The thing that unites us is our love for and desire to share the ocarina!

carbon

It's really awesome to see so many people so enthusiastic about this.

Danny that would be great. Even if you don't feel like writing the whole thing yourself, a simple framework or even a chapter would be awesome.

@dfmo25 : This is part of our goal too! Both you and @Grimat aren't even in the US and are starting chapters. We really want to make this worldwide, but we're operating under the "US" name right now. It doesn't matter where anyone is located, if you're starting a chapter - we want to help.

FrozenNorth
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 5
I think that, as sparse as the craft is in rural areas, if someone could figure out how a "virtual" group could meet via video conferencing, that would make a nice option.....meet virtually for 5 months, get together for a jam the 6th month, repeat.

carbon

I've been learning about streaming video lately, and that sort of thing is definitely possible. I think the TON skype chat is a great place to hang out and audio sharing is pretty easy.

What do you have in mind for these online meetings? How would a typical one go?

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
May I jump in with a suggestion? David Ramos actually had a few suggestions for guild meetups, maybe we could build off those. Whenever our group, the Carolina Ocarinists, meets, we do introductions/oc news, then solo/ensemble performances, group performances (with a pre-designated piece we have all learned), and a discussion question (which type of ocarina do you prefer, something like that). At least, that is what the structure usually is with us, tonight will be more relaxed...
Edited by SewedCodeMode, 14 Nov 2013, 12:04 AM.

Darwin
Member Avatar
Thank you Carbon, If there is something you could help I will let you know.

The online meeting sound agreat! It is something Like Webex?

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
I'm not familiar with Webex, we use Skype...Just audio calls. We had a meetup tonight, I thought it was pretty productive. :)

Darwin
Member Avatar
Let me know when you have another online meeting, may be I can join you!

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
:) I'll PM you.

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

I'm trying to come up with a description for my group, I'm finding it difficult. I don't want it to sound daunting for beginners, but also make it sound inviting to more experienced players.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Grimat
14 Nov 2013, 08:39 PM
I'm trying to come up with a description for my group, I'm finding it difficult. I don't want it to sound daunting for beginners, but also make it sound inviting to more experienced players.
The "Gimat Group"? :)

zeldagirlgrace
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
I would love to help in whatever way I can! I've written many "official" documents in my time! This sounds amazing!

carbon

Hi Zeldagirlgrace - thanks for the offer to help. Please sign up for the mailing list. I just sent out emails to our different groups of volunteers. I'm looking forward to reading responses and getting things started.

carbon

The first newsletters have gone out and we now have 13 chapters in 3 countries listed on the website and a few more chapters being discussed. If you're in any of these areas, please reach out to the organizers to let them know you're interested in meeting up.

http://ocarinaassociation.org/locate-chapter

Some other exciting things are in the works, but I don't want to get any hopes up until everything is finalized...

Darwin
Member Avatar
This is a good news Carbon! :)

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I am not in a position to be part of anything like that right now but I am pulling for you guys.

I wonder if their are any Ocarina Players is the Chattanooga TN area?

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
I'm pretty sure Jubal is in Tennessee.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ