Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Answering the big question before it's asked.; Whats best for beginners?
Topic Started: 16 Oct 2013, 03:30 AM (14,398 Views)
Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 3
I would suggest a single chamber if you're just starting out.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zelda5126
Member Avatar
Hylian boy
Neptunelynx
8 Sep 2016, 01:20 AM
Hi Zelda5126, I am also a beginner, but starting with a triple ocarina seems to be a pretty good idea, as it will save you more money in the long run.
It is true that you have to be wary of cheap ocarinas sold online that are poorly made. I don't know anything about Utopia ocarinas, but there are a few different websites that sell well made triples. Note that these have a higher price than what you are looking at, but sometimes it's best to pay extra money for a well made ocarina.
If you want a good quality ocarina for an affordable price, I'd suggest getting a plastic one from STL. Here's their selection of multi-chambers: http://stlocarina.com/doandtr.html
Their plastic triple comes in a few different colors, and if you want to hear what they sound like, Cris Gale does a review of these ocarinas, which you can see when you view the ocarina.
Now I will warn you, from what I believe, STL isn't viewed highly on TON because of their bad customer service and poor return policy. From what I've heard, if you don't like the ocarina they send you, it's tough luck. I myself have never had any problems with STL, but it's something to keep in mind.
If you don't want to buy from STL, here are a few other websites you can buy from that are generally liked by the community, though keep in mind their prices are usually higher.
http://www.songbirdocarina.com/collections/multi-chamber-ocarinas
http://steinocarina.com/productList.php?class=3&line=6
http://ocarinashop.com/epages/ncs24972088.sf/de_AT/?ObjectPath=/Shops/4972088/Categories/Triple_Ocarina
http://imperialcityocarina.com/triple-chamber-ocarinas.html
Once again, I'm a beginner, so I'm just trying to offer some suggestions. Really do your homework and listen to different ocarinas before you decide what to buy. I hope I was able to help, and good luck!
I say I am a beginner, but actually I've been playing for some time now and I own a couple of 12 hole ocarinas (one alto and one soprano), and that's why I want a triple one. But the reason I specify that I am a beginner is because I am not confident in my ability to play well enough to justifying spending $300, $400, and higher for an ocarina (like the ones from STL). I was thinking of maximum $200, and even then, it's a lot of money for me. By the way, if the cheap triple ocarinas don't play well, then I'm just not going to buy one at all.
The Imperial City triple ocarinas also seem to be cheap, but the guy in the demo video seems to have some trouble playing the high notes on his own ocarinas, so that makes me a bit suspicious about their quality.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 3
ICOs are well known on the forum to be good quality instruments, and they have excellent customer service.

Neptunelynx
Inline Ocarinist x 2
You know, I have the same problem. I'm not a beginner-beginner, but I did bite off more that I could chew with getting a double ocarina before I was ready. I tried to run before I could walk, so to speak. Now I'm trying to get a fresh start and try to teach myself to play the right way.
You can listen to different people playing the ocarinas, but sometimes different ocarinas have different sound textures. You can decide for yourself what you want to get. Would you want to get a double before a triple? That way you can learn the basics of learning how to play with multiple chambers and not spend as much money getting a triple.
Yeah, I don't like the sound of ICO ocarinas myself, but they say that the reason they're so cheap is because they don't put any type of finishing or glaze on their ocarinas, which reduces the cost.
Edited by Neptunelynx, 8 Sep 2016, 03:00 AM.

zelda5126
Member Avatar
Hylian boy
Daniel
8 Sep 2016, 02:54 AM
ICOs are well known on the forum to be good quality instruments, and they have excellent customer service.
They looked plastic to me but now that you mentioned it, I looked it up and they're actually purple clay...which is one of the best materials to make an ocarina out of, right? :monocle:

This is a $113 triple ocarina, I'd buy it if someone else confirms that they can easily sound out their notes and that they're in tune. Is there any links to any threads on this website about the Imperial City Ocarinas?

Neptunenelynx, I want to buy a triple ocarina pretty much because I don't want to keep rebuying them, also because a lot of the songs I like on YouTube are played by people with triple ocarinas.

Neptunelynx
Inline Ocarinist x 2
I totally understand Zelda5126. Did you see this post on ICO's website?
http://imperialcityocarina.com/about-song-wei-and-his-products.html#Quality_and_Tuning
It tells you more about how they make their ocarinas. You can also look up the ocarinas themselves on Youtube to hear them better.

zelda5126
Member Avatar
Hylian boy
Neptunelynx
8 Sep 2016, 02:21 PM
I totally understand Zelda5126. Did you see this post on ICO's website?
http://imperialcityocarina.com/about-song-wei-and-his-products.html#Quality_and_Tuning
It tells you more about how they make their ocarinas. You can also look up the ocarinas themselves on Youtube to hear them better.
Their website just tells how pretty much all ocarinas are made and play like. I was looking for more of an answer from people that have tried their ocarinas (especially the triple alto C, because that's the one I want to buy) and tell me how many of the ocarinas that they sell are tuned correctly. I don't see any review videos for Imperial City Ocarina on YouTube, or any demos of the ocarina I want to buy (triple alto C). But I think there was a demo right on their website, although I don't trust the seller to tell me how good their own product is, because why wouldn't you tell that your own product is the best?

Neptunelynx
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Maybe this will help?
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/8541574/
You can just look up Imperial City Ocarinas on the forum and see what pops up.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Neptunelynx
7 Sep 2016, 10:36 PM
Do you think the Zfans ocarina would be a good fit for me, considering my hand size and skill level (not to say I couldn't get more experienced and play it later if need be)? I really want to get it if he ships to the US. I debated between getting the Fire SG and the Aria SG, but after emailing STL I decided on the Fire because I liked the design better. I don't have any plastic ocarinas; should I get one? I've always preferred the sound of ceramic ocarinas. And I don't play in public, so I don't really see a need for one.
Neptunelynx
7 Sep 2016, 10:36 PM
Do you think the Zfans ocarina would be a good fit for me, considering my hand size and skill level (not to say I couldn't get more experienced and play it later if need be)? I really want to get it if he ships to the US. I debated between getting the Fire SG and the Aria SG, but after emailing STL I decided on the Fire because I liked the design better. I don't have any plastic ocarinas; should I get one? I've always preferred the sound of ceramic ocarinas. And I don't play in public, so I don't really see a need for one.
The Night by Noble has a great sound. I got it because I sometimes play outdoors with my ocarina group and I like the peace of mind of having an unbreakable ocarina to take with me. It takes a stronger breath than the Focalink Osawa plastic alto C but it's not a huge difference.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: NBN_OsawaFocalink.jpg_smaller.jpg (107.38 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 8 Sep 2016, 11:51 PM.

Neptunelynx
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Oh wow, that's quite a difference in size. Is the sound quality the same? Some players on Youtube sound airy when they play their NBN's, and I watched Mr. Osawa play the Focalink Osawa and I really liked the sound. It could just be the quality of video, but I'm just trying to make sure. And what about the Rotter Zfans ocarina?

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Neptunelynx
9 Sep 2016, 12:48 AM
Oh wow, that's quite a difference in size. Is the sound quality the same? Some players on Youtube sound airy when they play their NBN's, and I watched Mr. Osawa play the Focalink Osawa and I really liked the sound. It could just be the quality of video, but I'm just trying to make sure. And what about the Rotter Zfans ocarina?
Neptunelynx
9 Sep 2016, 12:48 AM
I find all of the ocarinas comfortable to play--the Rotter Zfans, the Focalink Osawa plastic and the Night by Noble. As I said, my hands are not tiny. I wear a medium size latex glove at work. But my pinky fingers are very short so any ocarina that has a large gap between the ring finger hole and the right pinky hole is hard for me to play. If I put down my finger where it feels comfortable, I wind up playing a C# instead of a C because of unintentionally half holing the note. I don't have that problem with the Rotter, Osawa and Night by Noble.

If you are concerned about the ocarina being too large for your hands, you could try the Aria soprano G or the Pure Ocarina Alto D. They are both smaller than most alto C ocarinas.

As for sound quality in You Tube videos, you have to take them with a grain of salt. Unless the recording is from someone you know has a lot of experience with both playing the ocarina and who has good recording equipment, you can't tell if the problem is with the ocarina or the microphone or even due to the players lack of good breath control.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: AriaSG_smaller.jpg (168.23 KB)
Attachments: PureACAD_sizecomparisonsmaller.jpg (123.31 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 9 Sep 2016, 02:15 AM.

Neptunelynx
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Ok, thank you!

zelda5126
Member Avatar
Hylian boy
Neptunelynx
8 Sep 2016, 04:28 PM
Maybe this will help?
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/8541574/
You can just look up Imperial City Ocarinas on the forum and see what pops up.
I saw another positive review on our forum for ICO, although it wasn't for a triple AC. So I guess I'll buy one of those.

One more thing. What's the difference between sound of these ocarinas (ICO's triple AC) and more expensive ocarinas (that are still made from purple clay, i.e., like the ICO ocarinas that I am currently referring to), for example, the STL/TNG triple purple clay ocarina ($400)
http://stlocarina.com/triplea.html

Edited by zelda5126, 11 Sep 2016, 12:36 AM.

Neptunelynx
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Ocarinas, even though they can be made of the same material, can sound differently depending on the maker. You have to look around and listen to see what ocarina makers you prefer. Cost can also be added depending on the effort required to make the ocarina, added decorations and glazes, and so on. A good example would be STL's plastic bass and Zelda plastic bass ocarinas. Both are the same style, shape, and pitch, yet the Zelda plastic bass costs an extra 5 bucks just to get the Triforce symbol on the mouthpiece.
I'm glad you made a decision, and happy playing!

julie
Beginner
Hi,

I often travel for my jon, end started to read music theory books when I'm on train/plane/hotel. I need some instrument to test/hear/train and don't want to travel with my guitar (too big). My goal in the end is to understand blues and learn improvisation.

I am lookng for an ocarina which is :
-in tune
-not airy
-suited to learn (blues) scales
-50-60 including shipping would be nice, I can spend a little more if something really better can be bought.

I guess (but can be wrong) that an Alto C will be too high pitched for blues, probably an AG would be better ? I don't need it very loud (I'll play another dedicated one later if I need it loud, but for now, playing in public parks alone and in hotel room when the hotel is empty, anything will be ok). Also I'd like the fingering to be the most standard one.

I tryed to read the forum and listen as much video / tests as I can, and for now on my list are :

-Hong xiao 12 Hole sweet potato (45-60 depending on shipping and taxes)
-The ImperialCity (also 12H / AG) seems to be about the same price

Any suggestion, comment ?

Thank you,
Julie.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
I cannot comment for the model you selected, but for the hotel rooms, you may have a problem: ocarina are quite loud!
I don't think you can play an ocarina in a hotel room, especially not at night.

The solution you could try is to use MrMute, the only mute for ocarina available for the moment. It fits on my Alto G. It is a good tool... But you need to get used to it on top of getting used to the ocarina, it may be difficult. Also, it costs something like 50 euros (ocarina not included: you use it with your ocarina), if I recall well.
You can have a look to this topic:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/10051075/1/

For the scale you need to select, it generally does not matter with transverse ocarina: they are chromatic, which means you can play all naturals, sharp and flats (of equal temperament scale). What you have to look for is:
1) the range of the song you will be playing: a 10 hole Alto G ocarina play from F4 to C6. A 12 holes Alto C from A4 to F6. If you need more, you can always buy a double or a triple, which may be more complicated to use, and more expansive.
2) the key: if you play mostly in the key of C, an ocarina in C is easy to play, because the C major scale have a linear fingering pattern. If you play in G, take an ocarina in G. - note that a chromatic ocarina can play in any key, it will just be al little more complicated because the fingering will not be linear.

About the fingering, it is quite standard on transverse ocarina, with a few exceptions. For instance, on Italian fingering, the high E is played with only the right thumb hole closed, on the Asian fingering (more common), it is played with only the hole for the left pinky closed.

The difference between 10 holes and 12 holes is small: on 12 holes, you have the 10 holes + 2 subholes used to play to additional notes (A and B on an ocarina in C) There is also two options for subholes:
Have a look to this thread:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7595862/1/

Edit: for reference, the two ocarina you selected are of the most common type (I think): in C, with 12 holes (can play from A4 to F6), Taiwanese subholes layout.
Edited by Ocypode, 26 May 2017, 08:52 PM.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Ocypode
24 May 2017, 11:19 PM
1) the range of the song you will be playing: a 10 hole Alto G ocarina play from F4 to C6. A 12 holes Alto C from A3 to F6.
An alto C plays from A4 to F6.

Just clarifying, you may have accidentally pressed 3 and not 4 when typing

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
julie
24 May 2017, 08:44 PM
Hi,

I often travel for my jon, end started to read music theory books when I'm on train/plane/hotel. I need some instrument to test/hear/train and don't want to travel with my guitar (too big). My goal in the end is to understand blues and learn improvisation.

I am lookng for an ocarina which is :
-in tune
-not airy
-suited to learn (blues) scales
-50-60 including shipping would be nice, I can spend a little more if something really better can be bought.
If you want to learn blues, and not be too loud I would suggest a Harmonica. You can find in tune harmonicas for under $10, or you can spend over $150 on one and most any price point in between.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 3
Hong Xiao is excellent. If this is your first ocarina though, I recommend Night by Noble (the black or white one).

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
jordan.1210
25 May 2017, 07:38 AM
Ocypode
24 May 2017, 11:19 PM
1) the range of the song you will be playing: a 10 hole Alto G ocarina play from F4 to C6. A 12 holes Alto C from A3 to F6.
An alto C plays from A4 to F6.

Just clarifying, you may have accidentally pressed 3 and not 4 when typing
It would be nice if we had a full octave more on a single chamber... Yes, I pressed 3 instead of 4... shame on me. :)
..and thank you for the correction! I've edited the original post to fix it.
Edited by Ocypode, 26 May 2017, 08:55 PM.

Sciencetrooper
Member Avatar
Beginner
Hi there,

Reccently ocarinas caught my attention , and my parents got me one for Christmas from a local store in Lisbon named DCaeiro (the site is really crappy and has nothing to do with the store). I'm a bit lost with all the ocarinas in the internet and the tabs and sheets and bass, tenor and soprano ocs... Can someone help me?
Edited by Sciencetrooper, 26 Dec 2017, 02:57 AM.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Sciencetrooper
26 Dec 2017, 02:55 AM
Hi there,

Reccently ocarinas caught my attention , and my parents got me one for Christmas from a local store in Lisbon named DCaeiro (the site is really crappy and has nothing to do with the store). I'm a bit lost with all the ocarinas in the internet and the tabs and sheets and bass, tenor and soprano ocs... Can someone help me?
There are a lot of different types of ocarinas. The best thing to do is look up videos of people playing the different types and see how they sound. A lot of people go with a plastic ocarina to start with like the Focalink Plastic AC or Night by Noble.

The alto range is most common, specifically in the key of C. Soprano is higher pitched and bass is lower. A lot of ocarinas that are labeled tenor are the same as alto, but not always. Bass is the lowest and generally harder to play since they're larger. There are a lot of reviews on this site that make it easier to find what ocarinas are worth getting. It's been very helpful to me.

Sciencetrooper
Member Avatar
Beginner
Kitten Forest
26 Dec 2017, 03:37 AM
Sciencetrooper
26 Dec 2017, 02:55 AM
Hi there,

There are a lot of different types of ocarinas. The best thing to do is look up videos of people playing the different types and see how they sound. A lot of people go with a plastic ocarina to start with like the Focalink Plastic AC or Night by Noble.

The alto range is most common, specifically in the key of C. Soprano is higher pitched and bass is lower. A lot of ocarinas that are labeled tenor are the same as alto, but not always. Bass is the lowest and generally harder to play since they're larger. There are a lot of reviews on this site that make it easier to find what ocarinas are worth getting. It's been very helpful to me.
Thanks a lot, it was very helpfull I think mine is a soprano in F. Its mark is " Plaschke Sudtirol" Have you ever heard of it ( question sign key doesn`t work in my pc)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ