Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Answering the big question before it's asked.; Whats best for beginners?
Topic Started: 16 Oct 2013, 03:30 AM (17,061 Views)
mandrew
Member Avatar
Devout seeker of perfection
it has become obvious over time that many new people do not use the search facilities on this site very well, if at all. One of the most asked questions by new people, and I welcome new people, is "what is the best ocaina/single/double/triple for a beginner." I will answer this question again for those who are bound to ask it, but not search for the answer.

The ocarina is rather unique in that is is not built at all with the concept of "beginners" in mind. You can buy a Focalink, Noble, Pachioni, Menaglio, Rotter, etc., and it will be the same instrument that pros use. There are instruments made by some with different levels of finish work, to keep prices down for those who don't have a lot of money. There are no real "beginner, intermediate, pro" levels. Buy what you can afford, and make sure that it is sturdy and in tune, as well as easy to hold for you. In all honesty, we really can't tell a new person what is best, because we do not know what you can afford, your musical aptitude, or what you like to hear or see. It is a very personal instrument. As long as it is well made, is in tune, and you like it, that is the one for you. Most would probably agree to this, that a good single chamber in AC or SG is a good place to start.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Amen good sir! :monocle: :monocle: :monocle:

Hamlett
Member Avatar
Ocarina Maker and Seller

Good job Mandrew. It might be a good idea to pin this one so it's easy to find for those beginners.

The only thing I would add for the beginners is to not fall into the trap of thinking that higher priced must automatically mean better quality and more "professional". That's just not the case. (Although some super cheap ebay deal does usually mean super crappy.) Makers set their prices on a lot of different factors, the market, the demand, how much they think their time, or their name, is worth, and for some, simply how much they think they can get away with. I've played ocarinas that cost over $200 that were not as good as a $67 Focalink.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
What about the newbies who want to learn how to play an ocarina and since they feel they should start out with the best, they assume that a Max Range triple ocarina is the one they should get. :/
Edited by pandorado100, 16 Oct 2013, 02:29 PM.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

What's the best quadruple ocarina for a beginner?

:)

Bryce
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Osawa quad bass... Definately. [Disclaimer: I am kidding, of course]
--
I would recommend starting on something less expensive, especially if you have never played the ocarina. That way, if you find that you no longer wish to pursue the ocarina, you've only suffered a small monetary loss.

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Some ocarinas, such as Rotter G2 lang, are good for professionals but not so much for beginners due to their loudness. It is too loud for playing in your room (which is where a beginner generally plays), but suited for open spaces and concert halls where a professional plays. But rather than the beginner/professional division, you should be stating following things when asking for which ocarina to buy:

-Usage: Do you playi it in your room/concert hall/noisy pub/outdoors or what? How loud should the instrument be?
-Budget: How much money are you willing to invest?
-Required pitch range (if known): This is the range you actually know that you require from the instrument, not just for spare notes just in case. Multichambered ocarinas are cumbersome in comparison to ocarinas with less chambers and should be acquired only if their range is actually needed.

Based on this kind of information, people know which ocarinas they can recommend for you. Try not to be too stingy with the budget, since people will recommend you the best ocarinas they can think of that fit within your budget.

Ocarinamusic
Member Avatar

This is very well spoken Hamlett:Good job Mandrew. It might be a good idea to pin this one so it's easy to find for those beginners.

The only thing I would add for the beginners is to not fall into the trap of thinking that higher priced must automatically mean better quality and more "professional". That's just not the case. (Although some super cheap ebay deal does usually mean super crappy.) Makers set their prices on a lot of different factors, the market, the demand, how much they think their time, or their name, is worth, and for some, simply how much they think they can get away with. I've played ocarinas that cost over $200 that were not as good as a $67 Focalink.

I can say that I have variety of ocarinas, of different makers of very low price to expensive price and as Hamlet already said and I'll say it again it is a great mistake to believe that expensive must be better. I ask my customers for what they need the Ocarina ( when they come into the shop ) or some call me at Skype and Im happy if I can advise them. Also like Endalion says the G2-long is stronger to blow but it is louder than the other G2/ we have 3 different G2 various forms / different sound colors. So ask your ocarina marker whoever he is to advise you.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

You don't need to be a professional to want to play loud, you just need to be interested in playing in public. Rock bands, samba groups, brass bands, pipe bands, marching bands... they're all mostly amateurs.

The way I'd respond to the question: we know about ocarinas, but we don't know about you. If you tell us how you came to ask the question, we can give you a sensible answer, but only then.

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

Sooner or later you're going to want to play beyond your bedroom, unless you're playing through a PA you need a loud instrument.

decrotie2004
Member Avatar
Mushi-Master
Robert Hickman
16 Oct 2013, 06:16 PM
Sooner or later you're going to want to play beyond your bedroom, unless you're playing through a PA you need a loud instrument.
I need to find people who don't think the sound of an ocarina is annoying in order to play past my house... I would love to play at a park or something but I always get told its annoying. I record my self and i'm not playing off key or anything...

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

decrotie2004
24 Oct 2013, 02:32 PM
Robert Hickman
16 Oct 2013, 06:16 PM
I need to find people who don't think the sound of an ocarina is annoying in order to play past my house... I would love to play at a park or something but I always get told its annoying. I record my self and i'm not playing off key or anything...
Are you playing with a backtrack or accompaniment?
One ocarina by itself can sound pretty boring.
I like to bring portable speakers with me when I'm traveling somewhere with an ocarina.

Samuel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
What do you play normally, in terms of tempo, note length, and general familiarity to the locals?

decrotie2004
Member Avatar
Mushi-Master
@ mark chan

No I normally just play solo, to be honest I can go without playing for someone or anyone else, to me playing it therapeutic and allows me to relax so in the long run I do it only for myself.

but thank you for the suggestions.

brandon5193
Beginner
Hi hello, my name is brandon Im really new to the ocarina thing, Ive played songs on any string instrument from: Segovia To Joe pass, freddie King and my fav Iommi, Yet i cant play this thing For the life of me and i really want to learn! lol

My question is: What type of ocarina(type,brand,holes,) in the Key of C can give me a sound or allow me to play things like misty mountain cold? or pirates of the carribean ?

carbon

Try searching for those songs on youtube and listening to the ocarinas used. This will give you an idea of your choices. My wife recorded Misty Mountain Cold on 3 ocarinas : The Passcalgia Bass C, the Aria AC, and the Aria SG.

Docjazz used a Focalink Bass C pendant and the songbird iphone app.

Both David and Cris used bass ocarinas for MMC. I prefer it on a bass ocarina, but you could play it on higher pitch ocarinas too.

David recorded He's a Pirate on an Ogawa AC.

This is a very expensive ocarina and probably not one you'd want to start on (even though Cris' first concert tuned ocarina was an Ogawa). There are more accessible and inexpensive options available now.

If you don't want to shop for an ocarina, then I suggest the Night by Noble plastic ocarina. It's a great instrument for beginners and a number of more experienced players swear by them.

Zwae
Beginner
Hi everyone!

I've been around before, quite a while back, asking questions about the high notes on my 12 hole alto C ocarina. Currently I'm hunting for it seeing as I put it away and now really want to take up playing again.

I know that the high notes of an alto C can often be a little awkward. Back along it was recommended to me that I try the acute bend and also test the pitch. I downloaded a program and checked the pitch and found I was able to play the E6 and F6 steadily and the pitch was correct, but I find that the notes sound horrible. Whenever I hear anyone playing those high notes they always at least sound like a musical note, mine just sound like a whistle. I don't know whether or not this is to do with the ocarina or simply because I'm somehow playing badly, thereby I'm stuck wondering whether I should try a different ocarina instead.

Another problem I have is that any song that I want to play always seems to go one note outside of the range of the ocarina, either the G above or below, sometimes both, or sometimes even further. This means that, if I did go for another ocarina, I don't know whether I should try another 12 hole or go for a multichambered ocarina so that I can actually play what I want to. I see plenty of people playing a lot of songs on 12 holes and yet I never seem to be able to find songs I can actually play on them.

Considering I'm looking for a good range and a nice tone on the high notes, rather than the piercing shriek that my current ocarina seems to give me, and perhaps a lower breath requirement (so that I can play the high notes a little quieter and the low notes a little louder) although this is not a necessity, could anyone give me any advice on ocarina choice, please?
I was thinking about perhaps trying a lower ocarina, such as a bass, but then I'd still be limited in range.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

If you want unlimited range, take up the pipe organ.

There are many genres of music that use limited range. If you go for an appropriate genre you'll never need to think about the range, everything will just fit. This tune book is an example:

http://www.hurdygurdy.biz/tunebook.htm

Or 7,000 free tunes here:

http://www.ceolsean.net/

There's plenty of repertoire that works on the standard 10-hole ocarina - more than anyone could learn in a lifetime. Just use your imagination about finding it.

Zwae
Beginner
Well I am more used to a piano.

I'll give that a go, although I don't tend to stick to specific music genres. I guess I just keep wanting to play specific songs that have too big a range.

Ignoring the range, then, am I just playing badly, should I try a different ocarina or are those highest two notes supposed to sound like someone blowing a whistle? The sound really puts me off playing.

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

Learn some music theory, often you can make out of range stuff work by transposing it, or playing an ocarina in a different key. For instance if you find low G's often, an ocarina in G may work better for you.

Zwae
Beginner
Sounds good, I'll take a look around once I've tracked down my elusive ocarina. I like the idea of different keys so maybe an ocarina in G would be a good idea, and then transpose into that range seeing as I can't really afford to buy a lot of different keys, although I'll still have my C.

Can you recommend any ocarinas in G?

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

I'm not greatly versed in the products of other makers at this time, as I mainly play my own work. My alto G is coming along, and has a relatively soft/mellow tone.

Otherwise Focalink has a good reputation, though like most Asian ocarinas they are loud/piercing. Hans rotter's ocarinas are relatively mellow in the lower keys, as are pacchioni's. The latter has a more 'textured', less whistle-like sound, which you may appreciate.

BTW ocarinas will sound like a whistle to some degree because they are one.

Nightlark
Member Avatar
Maker

In South Africa, this answer is very easy. The first one you could find would be the best one to begin with, hehe.

Zwae
Beginner
Thank you. My alto C is a Focalink, which may explain the piercing nature of the higher notes. I expected the instrument to sound a bit like a whistle but it went so far that to me it barely sounded musical. I will look at the makers you have mentioned and I must say that your ocarinas look and sound beautiful from what I have seen whilst looking around this forum.
Edited by Zwae, 27 Aug 2014, 08:58 AM.

R86
Beginner
Hello, I am looking for a ocarina for my wife as a gift. She had a pendant ocarina when she was a kid, but not anymore. So what I am looking for something that looks good and sounds well, but not too loud and is available in Germany. Thanks. Budget about 20 Euro.

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
R86
5 Dec 2015, 11:37 AM
Hello, I am looking for a ocarina for my wife as a gift. She had a pendant ocarina when she was a kid, but not anymore. So what I am looking for something that looks good and sounds well, but not too loud and is available in Germany. Thanks. Budget about 20 Euro.
Johann Rotter has a special offer this week - might be changed soon. It fits your price range and his ocarinas are all well in tune
Two bird ocarinas, 4-hole in F-Dur for 20, He ships from Austria, and he has a note book coming along with it.
http://ocarinashop.com/epages/ncs24972088.sf/de_AT/?ObjectPath=/Shops/4972088/Products/%22Angebot%20KW13%22
All the other ocarinas on his page can be recommended as well. So, have a look.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
One of my friends is thinking about learning to play. I've learned the hard way not to shop on Amazon Canada. I've found Focalink's ocarinas to be affordable and a bit easier to play. Any other websites or makers I should look into?

TheOc
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Thanks for the info. I like AC anyway.

Kaitomo
Member Avatar
Beginner
Hi! I don kow if anyone is still answering questions on here, but I'm completely new to ocarinas, I don't even own one yet, but I want to buy a polycarbonate ocarina from mountain ocarinas soon. I really want to be able to play Celtic music, would that be possible if I got the alto c? Thank you

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Nobody who plays Scottish, Irish or Breton traditional music seriously would refer to them as "Celtic". That word is marketing hype with racist overtones.

I play Scottish and Breton regularly, Irish less systematically though some every week, on a mixture of instruments. For Scottish music you want a G-pitch ocarina. A 10-hole transverse like the Menaglio is ideal but the MO in G would be ok. A C-pitch ocarina is absolutely no use whatever for that. On the other hand, it will work for some Breton tunes (you will also need a G).

For Irish music, a D-pitch instrument is your best bet - Hickman, Rotter and Posch make those. But Irish music tends to be flute- or violin-based, or elaborately vocal, and hence often has a range too wide for any single chamber ocarina. Normally I reach for a recorder; I can't think at the moment of any Irish tune I would play on the ocarina for preference, except for the reel "The Gravel Walk", which has a range more typical of Scottish tunes and goes on an ocarina in G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxpfeM-r03k (that's about the speed I use)

Avoid subholes. You will never need them in traditional music and they just weaken the sound of the instrument in places where it needs to be accurate and assertive. The MO has one, which is one too many but it's less damaging than in some other designs.

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Mountain Ocarina also sells a nice "Celtic" songbook with 300 songs that fit their ocarina's range. I prefer the G-MO for that kind of music
http://www.mountainsocarina.com/b/products/#300celtic

Sweetchemicalknights
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Hi! My name is Sera. Hopefully someone is still answering here, but, if not, I will move to another. I am wondering what my next ocarina should be/if I need a new one? Facts:

-I currently have a Bravura alto C from Focalink (in a lovely and obnoxious green color, lol ;D).
-I would like ceramic as I personally feel them to sound purer, especially on the higher notes-- is this true?-- and definitely a 12-hole classic.
-I would also like something a little more soothing and mellow than my plastic, and-- if possible-- quieter than him.
-I would like an alto C... or maybe an alto F... or an alto G. So an alto.
-I would prefer to spend less than 130 US dollars.
-I will be playing by myself, probably in my dorm room, and unaccompanied

Some I have looked at:
Sonoro C from Songbird (I like the purer sound)
Cris Gale's Aria tenor C
STL Earth F tenor (which is an alto, for those of you unfamiliar with STL... which is probably no one)
More???

(Edited to include more information and learnings)

Thank you.
Edited by Sweetchemicalknights, 22 Mar 2016, 09:26 PM.

SpiritWind Ocarina
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

If you are looking for pure sound, usually that means you want tear drop shaped voicings. I would suggest a pure ocarina by Robert Hickman, only 10 holes, however he'll make a good argument about why 10 holes will be plenty for most songs. Another pure sound would be takashi ocarina, but that will probably cost you about $130??? I hear good things about the Arias as well but have never played one before.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

-I would like to stick to an alto C. I have gathered from research (I may be incorrect) that although F ocarinas can be played like C's, there are different notes to each hole combination, and so I would like to keep with the C.

I'm not even going to try to explain what's wrong with that thinking.

Quote:

-I would prefer to spend less than 100 US dollars.

What that says to me is that you would be better off using that money to learn some music theory. You can use the ocarina far more effectively when you understand what you're doing. Music Theory for Dummies, The AB Guide to Music Theory and How to Crack Music Theory are all good. Avoid texts and video tutorials aimed specifically at ocarina players, none of them are any good. You want to learn a common language with other musicians.

Sweetchemicalknights
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Jack Campin
21 Mar 2016, 12:02 PM
Quote:

-I would like to stick to an alto C. I have gathered from research (I may be incorrect) that although F ocarinas can be played like C's, there are different notes to each hole combination, and so I would like to keep with the C.

I'm not even going to try to explain what's wrong with that thinking.

Quote:

What that says to me is that you would be better off using that money to learn some music theory. You can use the ocarina far more effectively when you understand what you're doing. Music Theory for Dummies, The AB Guide to Music Theory and How to Crack Music Theory are all good. Avoid texts and video tutorials aimed specifically at ocarina players, none of them are any good. You want to learn a common language with other musicians.
First, thank you both for your fast responses! :D

I am working on that now, actually :) I was tabbing yesterday and realized I was better than I thought; I'll work until I can do well enough to play from sheets (I'm about half way there). I do know the theory; my high school offers a lot of practice from choir. Reading music quickly enough to actually play is what I am working on. (I used to just write in the notes in the margins.)

Can you explain what is wrong my sentiment?? I'm pretty sure it's ridiculously obvious that I'm new as heck-- that's why I'm here.

I just picked $100 because that's more than what focalink, songbird, and stl were selling what I was looking at for. I'm willing to spend more, however-- I just haven't seen altos priced high in the major brands. Please do, however, suggest smaller brands if you like them! I'm open to a lot.

The-Zesty-1
Member Avatar
Heartily Laughing
I personally don't think there's anything wrong with you wanting to stick to an Alto C, you're a beginner and that's what you're familiar with since you already have one. That's what I did, I bought a cheap Alto C and learned music theory and how to play it to the best it could be played, and bought an insanely better quality double Alto C when I felt ready. I'll move to ocarinas tuned to other keys once I can really play my DAC, and when my wallet is a bit fatter. :)

That cheap Alto C was the Sonoro from Songbird, and I personally wouldn't reccomend it. The high D, E, and F are totally unplayable on mine and it just can get airy really easy. This is probably because it has a tiny chip in the windway, and that shows the maker's poor quality control. I've had experience with a Takashi Double Alto C, but I'm sure Mr. Pan's single chamber Alto C would be just as fantastic. Every note is clear, pure, and clean sounding. If you want to spend a bit more than a $100 on a 12 hole, you could try a Takashi. But if you think you don't need the two low notes on a 12 hole, you could go for a Pure Ocarina like Spiritwind said. I've heard nothing but good about those ocarinas, and they look gorgeous too.

I hope you find something that works for you!!

DavidRamos
Member Avatar

Sweetchemicalknights
21 Mar 2016, 02:15 PM
Can you explain what is wrong my sentiment?? I'm pretty sure it's ridiculously obvious that I'm new as heck-- that's why I'm here.
You didn't say or do anything wrong...some people can just be a little grumpy sometimes most of the time :)

Personally, I prefer Focalink's AC-A (Allegro) over the AC-B (Sonoro), because the Allegro has a slight chiff to the tone that I like over the Sonoro's more pure tone. I also like the smaller size and shape of the Allegro, but the Sonoro's longer shape makes it easier to grasp for the high notes.

Also, I have a video series for teaching new ocarina players music theory and many people have said it's helped them transition from tabs to sheet music very easily if you'd like to check it out! http://bit.ly/HtPO-playlist

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

You didn't just have a simple confusion; to get to the point of writing what you did, you had to be missing a lot of information that could be very useful to you. There's no point in using this forum as a substitute for what has already been done very well in a lot of basic music theory texts.

Sweetchemicalknights
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Mr. Campin-- thank you; I see what you are saying. It never quite connected that F didn't start at C (well, in a ten-hole), although it does now.

Mr. Ramos-- I have, actually, been watching your channel. Thank you for sharing all of it :)

Have others had problems with the allegro/sonoro? I've heard mostly good things?? I've also heard their customer service to be excellent, and I would rather ship from the US (and pay a little less, taking into account that paying higher generally means higher quality). So, Mr. Zesty (love the name, lol) I will probably copy what you did.

(Sorry for formalities-- force of habit from teachers. I would like to imply my respect for you all and your ocarina knowledge :) )

The-Zesty-1
Member Avatar
Heartily Laughing
Sweetchemicalknights
21 Mar 2016, 10:23 PM
Have others had problems with the allegro/sonoro? I've heard mostly good things?? I've also heard their customer service to be excellent, and I would rather ship from the US (and pay a little less, taking into account that paying higher generally means higher quality). So, Mr. Zesty (love the name, lol) I will probably copy what you did.

(Sorry for formalities-- force of habit from teachers. I would like to imply my respect for you all and your ocarina knowledge :) )
Thanks for the compliment :blush: Maybe my Sonoro was a once in a while hiccup that occurred, I'll never know, but I can say it served its purpose as my first ocarina and it helped me determine what type of volume and breath pressure I prefer. I've heard others say good things about it, so maybe do a bit more digging through the forums to find what you need to know. I wish you all the best!

KB3K
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Jack Campin
21 Mar 2016, 08:24 PM
Quote:

You didn't just have a simple confusion; to get to the point of writing what you did, you had to be missing a lot of information that could be very useful to you. There's no point in using this forum as a substitute for what has already been done very well in a lot of basic music theory texts.
It seems as though discussing music theory is an appropriate use of this forum.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

There are some issues of music theory which do make sense to discuss here. Basic tutorial material which is already very well explained elsewhere in easily available books isn't one of them, at least not for me. You try explaining what a harmonic is to someone who's never seen the word before, if that's your idea of fun.

It's a consequence of the fact that an ocarina is a lousy choice for a first instrument. It has far too many quirks, both acoustic and cultural, that get in the way of learning musical ideas that you can use elsewhere. You might as well try to learn about dance beats through bellringing. (Voice and keyboards are probably the best to start with, but many others get close).

KB3K
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Jack Campin
22 Mar 2016, 01:38 AM
Quote:

There are some issues of music theory which do make sense to discuss here. Basic tutorial material which is already very well explained elsewhere in easily available books isn't one of them, at least not for me. You try explaining what a harmonic is to someone who's never seen the word before, if that's your idea of fun.

It's a consequence of the fact that an ocarina is a lousy choice for a first instrument. It has far too many quirks, both acoustic and cultural, that get in the way of learning musical ideas that you can use elsewhere. You might as well try to learn about dance beats through bellringing. (Voice and keyboards are probably the best to start with, but many others get close).
I would be glad to help someone learn what a harmonic is if they wanted to know. In fact I have taught that concept to thousands of people over the years.

Furthermore I don't think the ocarina is a bad choice for a first instrument. It wasn't my first, second, third, or fourth..., but I think there is plenty someone can learn about music from the ocarina, particularly if someone is willing to help them.

The-Zesty-1
Member Avatar
Heartily Laughing
Jack Campin
22 Mar 2016, 01:38 AM
Quote:

I mean, I don't think it is our place here to explain to people how the treble clef staff works. Things like that can be easily learned elsewhere as Jack said. We're not a music theory forum, we're an ocarina forum. But I think certain aspects of music theory such as harmony when playing with others or using harmony ocarinas or transposing since the ocarina is a transposing instrument. However I think if someone even has a very simple question we should help them out because a) we can point them in the right direction to good resources on music theory to reduce those number of posts and b) we should just help them because they asked. Even if it's someone asking how the treble clef staff works we should help them out and point them in the right direction just so they feel like people on here don't have a holier-than-thou-art attitude and are willing to lend a hand to complete beginners. Obviously, simple music theory posts like that do not occur too often, but I remember asking about playing in different keys when I first started, and Mark helped me out tremendously, and using his help I was easily able to transfer that information over to the piano which I have recently started to play. I think it's because of Mark's crystal clear explanation he gave me that made me click with the piano so well, even though every note is laid out before you on it. Clearing up music theory issues that beginners like me have is what should make this community helpful, encouraging, and a nice place to be in! (even if it is showing someone the ABC's of it and showing them were to learn their XYZ's) c:
Edited by The-Zesty-1, 22 Mar 2016, 05:56 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Sweetchemicalknights
21 Mar 2016, 03:00 AM
Hi! My name is Sera. Hopefully someone is still answering here, but, if not, I will move to another. I am wondering what my next ocarina should be/if I need a new one? Facts:

-I currently have a Bravura alto C from Focalink (in a lovely and obnoxious green color, lol ;D).
-I would like ceramic as I personally feel them to sound purer, especially on the higher notes-- is this true?-- and definitely a 12-hole classic.
-I would also like something a little more soothing and mellow than my plastic, and-- if possible-- quieter than him.

Some I have looked at:
Sonoro C from Songbird (what is the focalink item code for this? ACA?)
Cris Gale's Aria tenor C
In what type of setting are you playing your ocarina? Do you play solo or with others? Do you play with a backing track or unaccompanied? The only reason to stick with a C tuned ocarina is if you have to match other peoples instruments or if you are playing against a backtrack.

You said you are looking for an ocarina that is more soothing and mellow than an Alto C and I think an alto F might have just the sound you are looking for. You would still be able to play it with C fingering. No need to learn note specific fingering unless you are playing with somebody else or against a backing track. I play all of my songs the same way with my C, F, D, G ocarinas. If I want to play against a backtrack, I tranpose my music sheets.

You also may not know that ocarinas are transposing instruments. You can play in G and F on a C ocarina once you learn the scales for each key. You have to keep in mind the note range of the music you are playing to make sure you don't run out of room at the top so to speak.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ