Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
October is OcAwareness Month
Topic Started: 4 Oct 2013, 11:24 PM (9,206 Views)
IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
October will also be prime outreach time for financial aid through the NRCS for agriculture projects. If you do any farming, look into it! Deadline for applications is November 15.

Maybe while I'm doing my outreach for work I can play a few tunes and spread some love for the ocarina at the same time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
@pandorado In the peace corps I spent a fair amount of time training people on the use of urine-diverting dry toilets, so it wouldn't be the first visit of the topic for me. :)

IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
I think this is a real concern. Many people do play out of ego and vanity. I don't enjoy their performances. But I think most musicians play from good intentions. I had the opportunity to see Phil Keaggy live a few years ago. His entire reason for being a performing musician is to honor God and glorify him. Phil succeeds at this. At the same time, he shared stories about why he wrote each song. It was amazing to see how open he was willing to be with so many people he did not know. He revealed his inner thoughts and desires - who he really IS - and trusted us to not try to exploit that vulnerability. The entire set transported me to a feeling of sitting around a campfire with my dearest friends. And every moment he played I could feel the excitement bubbling out of him, like a 6 year old child sharing his deepest passion. That is the way I hope to be when I play for others.

IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
Amerred
8 Oct 2014, 09:39 PM
All right. Another spike in attention with the Solist triple. I actually asked someone, and they admitted that they didn't really notice the pendants at all (especially in comparison to a transverse or inline). I got quite a few people who asked about it, some more who identified it, a few times at which I was asked to play it (at least three so far) and a person or two who seemed genuinely interested in obtaining an ocarina of their own (one of these is the high-fiver mentioned above).

The biggest demonstration I did today was at lunch. I played a song or two, including Danny Boy by ear (with a pretty high success rate, too). One person came up and danced (Danny Boy isn't very conducive to dancing, but he made it work somehow). I got two requests (that I distinctly heard): one for Smoke on the Water, the other for Anaconda. Never heard Anaconda and I don't think I could piece together Smoke on the Water very well, so I didn't do either. But everyone was really interested, and things turned out great.

Though I will admit I've come to realize that the only thing pendants have going for them is portability...
Smoke on the water is commonly enough played by amateur guitarists that I don't think you need to start playing it on ocarina. It's not really that interesting of a song.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina News and Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ