Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
October is OcAwareness Month
Topic Started: 4 Oct 2013, 11:24 PM (9,193 Views)
Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
An update about OCAwareness month will be posted...soon. :3
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
pandorado100
4 Sep 2014, 07:38 PM
Pat, to answer your question about an ocarina collaboration, I believe that is what Reiko hinted at in her post. Since David's been busy planning his upcoming East Coast tour, he off loaded some of his projects to her. Keep your eyes peeled for an announcement.

I just hope that whatever song is picked, it's a little more forgiving than Together. I simply couldn't play it at tempo no matter how much I practiced. I'd like something slower and less complicated. David's first collab with You Are My Sunshine was more my speed.
That is indeed what I was hinting at, Pandorado. Should anything come up, I'm fully-prepared to step up again with a piece that's far more tempo-friendly for everybody. :) But, I won't get ahead of myself even though I'm really excited about OCAwareness this year! :D

As for our next meetup, let's tentatively plan it for my birthday at 3:00. We could serenade the outdoor church with some of our favourite melodies! :D

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
DavidRamos
9 Sep 2014, 01:16 AM
For those who are interested in this year's OcAwareness collab, I'm aiming to announce our song next week :D Hoping to make it even better than the last few years!
HOORAY!!! :D
Happy dance for not having more work to do~! XD

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
CeramicSky
11 Sep 2014, 01:50 PM
I propose a challenge:

Get outside and play your ocarina EVERY DAY somewhere IN PUBLIC all through October!
That sounds wonderful! Except not everybody is able to do that for a variety of reasons. :/

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
pandorado100
11 Sep 2014, 03:19 PM
Reiko and I will do our best to warm up by performing this Saturday in a public park. We plan on being ready for OCtober. :)
Oh yes...the ocarina is actually the only instrument that I've been playing lately! (Other than some piano when giving lessons...)

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
pandorado100
12 Sep 2014, 12:58 AM
To answer your question Zero, the reason why we try to play out in public is to educate other people who have no clue what ocarinas are. These are exactly the people who wouldn't think of watching a docjazz 4 or Ocarinadiva video online. The best way to reach them is to play where they can see us and come up and ask questions. We usually get several positive responses from passersby. Reiko even got herself a gig playiing for an outdoor church who heard us playing near them at Burnside Park. :)

We've tried playing in malls but they have not been supportive. One security guard at a local mall told us not to play our ocarinas because we would disturb the other patrons. When we looked around, the only other person we saw was an older woman doing her power walking exercise. It was dead empty otherwise. :(

I once played my ocarina outside a courthouse during lunch break from jury duty. When I came inside, the security guard told me that he enjoyed my playing and that he thought it was very relaxing. I was glad because I thought he was going to arrest me for disturbing the peace of the court. lol

I will say, that was the best acoustics I've ever experienced. The reverb coming off the courthouse walls was incredible.
-nod nod- All of this is very true.

It's already been just about a month since I've started to play at the outdoor church for an hour every Saturday afternoon, and I now have a slowly-growing number of college students who have approached me for ocarina lessons after I did an ocarina panel (presentation) in Anime Club last semester. Being the music director at my church also affords me the privilege of playing my ocarina whenever I want, or simply picking whichever instrument it is that I wish to play. Until we are no longer piano-less...I'm sticking with my ocarina.

That Dead-O mall, which now has a bowling alley built in place of the lovely fountain that our first meeting had been at three years ago, is run by neanderthals who lack appreciation for anything beautiful. Telling us to not play our ocarinas inside was one (ridiculous) thing, but then taking out the beautiful fountain that we had said first meeting at and building a ten-pin alley over it was quite it for me. That mall will no longer be receiving any of my business. :| The mall much closer to my house is far more supportive with three security guards watching curiously as I entertained a group of seven mall rats with simple Ocarina of Time songs outside, so I simply need to arrange for permission in advance from the management there and in the capitol city before I can send any of us awesome people inside. >:D

Anyhow, I'mma stop rambling at this point and say this: this year's OCAwareness Month will be far better than my feeble attempt of World Ocarina Day, and I'm quite looking forward to contributing with RIOG~! :jumpy:

Let's get practicing, guys~! :pirate: BRB

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Ocarina News and Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ