Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
October is OcAwareness Month
Topic Started: 4 Oct 2013, 11:24 PM (8,528 Views)
Member Avatar

For those who are interested in this year's OcAwareness collab, I'm aiming to announce our song next week :D Hoping to make it even better than the last few years!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
Member Avatar

Zero Tolerance
12 Sep 2014, 12:20 AM
I've got a question:

Why are we (ocarinists of TON) so gung-ho to play in public?

-Is it for self confidence?

-Helping the ocarina become more known in the hopes of others wanting to learn?
(if this be the case, then the internet is the most valuable and effective tool. i.e. more Docjazz level performers on You-Tube. The odd performance in the mall is good too.)

- Or is it for the sake of stroking vanity/ego and the instant gratification factor?
(This is sadly the factor that can unknowingly lead down a not so good path.)
It certainly is a good question that everyone needs to ask themselves regarding live performances. I don't know if you've experienced a lot of live music, but when you go to a concert, hear a friend play something for you, or even see a busker on the street, there is a level of intimacy present that you can't get from a recording, be it video or just audio. It's the feeling that at that moment, that musician is sharing something very special with you.

I recently stumbled onto this podcast where the world renown cellist, Yo Yo Ma, is being interviewed (it was a fantastic podcast and highly recommend everyone hear the whole thing here). The interviewer brought up the time that Yo Yo Ma appeared on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and Mr. Rogers asked him an incredible question. He said, "Do you know what a present that is? When you play something for somebody, it's just like giving them a present". I definitely agree with Mr. Rogers that music is a gift - to those of us who can play and to those we play for.

So, my personal answer to your question is that I play live because I want to share my love for music with others and give them a gift, not just of music, but of a moment where I played something specifically for them.
Edited by DavidRamos, 12 Sep 2014, 05:49 AM.
Member Avatar

12 Sep 2014, 10:33 PM
Sometimes the people you play for give you a gift back in return. One of my favorite moments from your videos is when you were playing Arirang and an Asian woman joined you by singing along as you played. That was a wonderful moment. :)
That had to be one of my all time favorite music moments. There I was, intending to shoot a quick video at this Asian festival, and this lady comes out of nowhere and sings along. It was such a beautiful and precious moment and I'm so thankful it was caught on film!! That's also something that wouldn't have happened unless I played out in public :)
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina News and Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ