Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
October is OcAwareness Month
Topic Started: 4 Oct 2013, 11:24 PM (9,513 Views)
Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

What are you doing?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Phew... I was waiting for someone to pick up on this!

I was going to probably start wearing some pendants around (out of the very few I have), but I didn't know if October was still OcAwareness month. But it looks like I was right, so... I guess I'll start Monday then!

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Unfortunately, not a whole lot :S

But this slideshow was technically made for oc-awareness, and all the pictures are from our wonderful TONians :D So, voila!

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I haven't planned anything specifically for "OcAwareness Month", but there's the 1st Annual "Big D" BIG Ocarina Meetup, and I have a performance on October 17th for an Otsukimi "Moon Viewing". I may have some other stuff going on later in the month, but nothing has been finalized. I might have a new Aria to announce, but we're waiting to see if they'll be done in October or November :)

Oh I almost forgot! A couple of radio shows are trying to arrange something with me, but my schedule might be too full to fit it in to October. Two of them are talk shows and one of them is on an FM classical station that will have me perform live.
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 5 Oct 2013, 12:15 AM.

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

I might promote the Ocarina at local music stors, but I would really want to improve my intonation a lot before I do.

hearmeroar2
Member Avatar
Nerd
I'm planning on wearing a different ocarina to school every day and playing a different song every day! I kinda slacked on that this week, but I just watched David's video and I'm inspired now. I guess I'll have to repeat ocarinas, since my collection has only four. Oh well ;)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I'll be participating in David's collaboration video. :)

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Same as Mark. At least I hope so. :sleepy:

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I'm trying to find a day and time for all of the members of my Rhode Island Ocarina Guild to have a meetup next week. You'd think with such a small group, it would be easy for us to celebrate OCtober together. Scheduling is such a hard thing to do. :facepalm:

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Same as Mark, I have the sheets without tabs, and love the tune! Patty will be working on oc and I will accompany her on guitar or maybe we will multitract a bunch, just have to decide how we are going to do this!

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
So far...

On the first day (Monday) I completely forgot.

Yesterday, I wore a pendant. Got a lot of people saying "I like your necklace." I corrected them and eventually went as far as to turn it around so the holes face front, as to discourage that mistake.

Today, I wore a MO Poly G (an inline). There were a few people who thought it was a tuner, and a few more who asked why I was wearing a TV remote around my neck. There was one person who thought that it was a flute. I congratulated them heartily.

I have had a few people recognize it as an ocarina, and I've seen a few understand it once they heard the name. Some people even seem genuinely interested. I'm glad - it would seem as though I am slowly, but surely, making progress. :)

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
I just make sure to play wherever I go shopping. (bank, post office, Hardware store)

mbyer9024
Beginner
Davids colab video!

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Heads up! October is coming.

Nightlark
Member Avatar
Maker

Be Prepared apparently

Posted Image

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Oh, I'm gonna be prepared all right! It won't be like last year when I forgot on the first day! I'll remember this time - you'll see! :grin:

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Oh I'm excited that fall is just around the corner... oh and ocarinas too! :)

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
An update about OCAwareness month will be posted...soon. :3

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Reiko, I think RIOG needs to do something for October since that's about the last month we can count on the weather being warm enough to hang out in Burnside Park. They should be posting my work schedule for the next graph by this Friday so I'll have a better idea of when I'm available.

CeramicSky
Member Avatar
オカリナ
TON should do something special... not that I have any ideas...

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
I can finally play Together without squeaking! A year too late, but oh well! I wonder if David is going to do another collab or if that is all behind now?

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I will celebrate Oc Awareness by going to an ocarina festival. :)

JollyHoliday
Member Avatar
Lover of Bears
I'll probably play a few songs for people here and there. I'm not doing anything special xD Classes get in the way of that just a tad.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Pat, to answer your question about an ocarina collaboration, I believe that is what Reiko hinted at in her post. Since David's been busy planning his upcoming East Coast tour, he off loaded some of his projects to her. Keep your eyes peeled for an announcement.

I just hope that whatever song is picked, it's a little more forgiving than Together. I simply couldn't play it at tempo no matter how much I practiced. I'd like something slower and less complicated. David's first collab with You Are My Sunshine was more my speed.

Ayleth
Member Avatar
Hobbit Ocarinist, 12 Hole Tenor C
I think I'll try something like playing in park...Oh wait. I live in a private park in the middle of nowhere. So I have no idea what I'll be doing. Suggestions?

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Amerred
3 Sep 2014, 08:22 PM
Oh, I'm gonna be prepared all right!
Did you know that September is National Preparedness Month? :)

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Holy cow, Wollemi Pine is right! September IS National Preparedness Month! I better get prepared! Not sure exactly for WHAT!
Edited by Pat Anderson, 4 Sep 2014, 09:14 PM.

Ayleth
Member Avatar
That's so funny. Everyone preparing in NPM.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Oh yeah - prepared myself without even knowing it's National Preparedness Month! I'm taking that as a good sign.

Nightlark
Member Avatar
Maker

pandorado100
4 Sep 2014, 07:38 PM
Pat, to answer your question about an ocarina collaboration, I believe that is what Reiko hinted at in her post. Since David's been busy planning his upcoming East Coast tour, he off loaded some of his projects to her. Keep your eyes peeled for an announcement.

I just hope that whatever song is picked, it's a little more forgiving than Together. I simply couldn't play it at tempo no matter how much I practiced. I'd like something slower and less complicated. David's first collab with You Are My Sunshine was more my speed.
If there is going to be a colab, I definitely want to be part of it this time. :grin:

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
Mark Chan
4 Sep 2014, 04:18 AM
I will celebrate Oc Awareness by going to an ocarina festival. :)
Holla! :D

Can't wait!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
September is also National Procrastination Month.

Not really, I just made that up. I thought it'd be nice to have a holiday for people who are NOT prepared. lol

Ayleth
Member Avatar
Given the insane state of the world, I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

It seems to be mainly the US that has commemorative days, weeks and months for everything imaginable.

But... where would we be without the day? We'd have 24 loose hours rolling all over the calendar, that's what. So why isn't there a National Day Day?

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I noticed that too Jack. I often wonder how much of it is actually official and not just wishful thinking.

Ayleth
Member Avatar
A lot of it is wishful thinking. Most holidays just appear on the calendar, and nobody pays any attention to them.

carbon

It's definitely an American thing. Most of the world says "Oak" instead of "Ock" so the whole assonant wordplay for October makes little sense as a worldwide thing. December 2nd might make a good "ocarina holiday" since it is Donati's birthday.

Ayleth
Member Avatar
Seriously? That seems so weird, because to us, ock-arina sounds somewhat sophisticated, while oak-carina sounds like what a redneck would call it (and believe me, it does. I live the in back woods of Texas. Google doesn't even acknowledge my street's existence).
And Donati's birthday would definitely make sense. We should make it Ocarina Day.
Edited by Ayleth, 5 Sep 2014, 06:02 PM.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Jack Campin
5 Sep 2014, 05:18 PM
It seems to be mainly the US that has commemorative days, weeks and months for everything imaginable.

You can blame Hallmark Cards for all the "Hallmark Holidays"!

Ayleth
Member Avatar
^^^^ABSOLUTELY. I COMPLETELY AGREE

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
@Ayleth I find that the case of "Oh-carina" vs "Ah-Carina" is like the difference between "Care-eh-bean" and "Car-rib-ian" pronunciations of Caribbean.

Both are technically correct pronunciations of the same word.... but that's just me. :shame:

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
The whole pronunciation debate is nicely summarized in this classic old song.

http://youtu.be/zZ3fjQa5Hls?t=1m28s

Edited by pandorado100, 5 Sep 2014, 09:16 PM.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Well, that's because the "O" sound in a lot of other languages sounds like "oh" all the time. So in the case that "October" starts with O, it still works (Oc-tubre, Ok-tober, Ok-tyabr, and so on).

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
@Pandorado. :rofl: Thanks! That made my day! :giggle:

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Quote:

Well, that's because the "O" sound in a lot of other languages sounds like "oh" all the time.

I don't know any language without an open o (like in "ock").
On the contrary in Polish there is no closed o ("oh-carina").
Edited by Claytone, 6 Sep 2014, 08:49 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ocarina News and Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ