Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
[CLOSED] Halloween & Autumn Photography Contest [CLOSED]; TON's second official Photography Contest is here!
Topic Started: 2 Oct 2013, 10:51 AM (19,105 Views)
Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Hey there, hedgehogs! :hi: I am Jill, and this iiiiiiis.....

Posted Image

That's right!! It's TON's SECOND official photography contest :D

It's been a little while since we had our first photography contest, which ended at the end of April, and it was such a fun and innovative event for the ocarina network community
and I know a lot of you have been waiting rather patiently for another one, so here it is!

*I apologize about any glitches or 'jumps' in the video. My editing skills were kind of lacking!
YAY for my cat in the background, though!*

This time the photography contest is going to have a theme and it's going to be about all things autumn and/or Halloween :D

This is yet again an exciting opportunity for ocarina players everywhere and especially for those of you who like to take pictures.
All you have to do is take a picture of you with your ocarina(s) OR a picture OF your ocarina(s) in a creative and unique environment that incorporates autumn and/or Halloween.

The creativity is all up to you, because the sky is the absolute limit! :D

*** Be sure to look at the "Photo Tips!" ***

:boogie: The Grand Prize is: :boogie:

Posted Image

Casper's Double AC Ocarina with the "Meteor" design, generously donated by Casper himself! :D

Click HERE for a sound sample of this lovely ocarina

- Second Grand Prize:

Posted Image

A lovely brown AC ocarina, generously donated by Cris Gale!

- Third Grand Prize:

Posted Image

Focalink SC, model B, generously donated by Suki/Adriana!

- And finally, for fourth, fifth and sixth place:

one signed copy (each) of Cris Gale's CD: "An Ocarina Overture"

generously donated by Cris Gale herself!

* Additional prizes are a possibility *

*** All winners will be picked by the judges ***

Our awesome judges and co-organizers for this event are:

~ Achint ~
~ Suki / Adriana ~
~ Fred ~
~ Mark Chan ~
~ and myself / Jill ~

And, as always, I am also your humble host! :D

Very many thanks to Casper of Casper Ocarinas and Cris Gale/Ocarinadiva and Suki/Adriana for their input and gracious donations for the contest!! :)

:focalinkpurple: To enter the contest:

• You must be a registered member on TON. Sign-up is free.

• Take a picture of you with your ocarina(s) OR a picture OF your ocarina(s) with a camera device, and be sure to incorporate Halloween and/or autumn in your picture!

• Submit your photo to THIS thread with TWO IMAGES:
    The original photo and an authentication photo (with your TON username written on a card.)

This will help our judges to verify originality.

Original photo EXAMPLE (please click here)

Authentication photo / with name card EXAMPLE (please click here)

Please click the spoiler(s) below to read the helpful photo tips before submitting an entry,
and be sure to review all the rules upon entering the contest!

Photo Tips (please click)

RULES (please click)

The deadline to enter this contest is Sunday, November 10th 2013

We look forward to seeing all entries. Good luck, everyone!!! :D

SUBMISSIONS
1. Zero Tolerance
2. Suki (participation)
3. gytech
4. hylian_shieldmaiden
5. Loading...
6. Kevin
7. Jubal
8. aniki91334
9. Leyhog
10. geotjakra
11. PlunkRadio
12. teddeler
13. mkmusic
14. TheZ
15. decrotie2004
16. Mark Chan (participation)
17. Awaren
18. seadeatea
19. Ocarinadiva (participation)
20. Ocarina1231
21. TheYusumi
22. Turtlewalker
23. Mery
24. cheesewiz
25. MiniYabber
26. theshatteredpumpkin
27. Ocarinaprodigy123
28. Lady_Barronmore
29. CaptainStirling
30. Spacefood
31. Krilikin
32. Grimat
33. Lottie Potter
34. Mich
35. Golden Monkey
36. Samuel

Edited by Jill theredhedgehog, 18 Nov 2013, 02:08 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Jesus Christ Jill, I'm suprised nobody gave you the TON helper status yet. With all the contest you've organised you should be the fourth admin. :D
Edited by Gyzyn, 2 Oct 2013, 12:02 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I second Gyzyn's suggestion. Our favorite Red Hedgehog should get some recognition for her work. :)

Gasp! I'm looking at that meteor finish DAC. It's so gorgeous. I wish I could take a photo worthy of it.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I agree, TON Helper for Jill!

Awaren
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Thanks for doing this Jill, i will surely participate in this contest :)

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
pandorado100
2 Oct 2013, 02:01 PM
Gasp! I'm looking at that meteor finish DAC. It's so gorgeous. I wish I could take a photo worthy of it.
Indeed, that's one beautiful instrument. I wish I had a multichamber ocarina, but I'm not very good at photography, and have only a cheap digital camera. So I don't think my skills are worthy of entering the contest.

PS
It's my fault I don't have a double, because I bought so many new instruments.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I would like to encourage everyone to participate. You can use any camera you want. In the end, the camera is just a tool to help you realize your vision. Some cameras just do things better than others; but it's the final product that counts. Don't feel discouraged and think that you are unworthy. That said; happy shooting! :)

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

We hope to get many participants as we did during the last contest. It is a pleasure judging and we look forward to everyone's entries! Don't worry it not owning professional equipment. This contest is for anyone who has a passion for ocarinas. :)
Yes exactly Mark! (^_-) Ninja'd
Edited by Suki, 2 Oct 2013, 06:06 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Aw, guys, you're so nice! *huggles* Thank you for thinking I'm worthy of such a cool title around here. However, I don't think I need it. Your thanks, participation and happiness are all the recognition and rewards I need. I really, really mean that. Believe me, I mean that :)

And I echo what Mark and Adriana said!! You don't need a fancy camera to be a photographer. It's what ya DO with your little mechanism that counts ;)

I'm quite excited as well :D :D :D :D

GET THOSE PHOTOS IN!!!

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

College has kept me so busy, but I will try my best to enter this one again. I love autumn.

Heather_V_Ocarina
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
Yay sounds like a fun contest :D I will definitely try to enter

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Very cool! I love photography contests! Got to get going on coming up with a concept though...

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
A note to less experienced participants:
As we discovered last time, it's impossible to upload pictures directly to this thread. You will have to host your entry on an external site such as imgur or photobucket.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

TheZ
2 Oct 2013, 09:28 PM
A note to less experienced participants:
As we discovered last time, it's impossible to upload pictures directly to this thread. You will have to host your entry on an external site such as imgur or photobucket.
Can we fix that? It's seems it would be changing a site setting to allow the photos to be posted to this thread.

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

I shall definitely be entering, and I also agree you should have helper status :D

Awaren
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Gyzyn
2 Oct 2013, 05:33 PM
I'm not very good at photography, and have only a cheap digital camera. So I don't think my skills are worthy of entering the contest.
Don't be afraid of it, Pawel. It's not about 5k $ equipment. All you need, is to understand few basics about lighting and composition. Even with cheapo "pocket" camera or even with camera in your phone you can take beautiful picture. And if you will be able to put at least a little piece of your soul into the picture, then you can be proud of yourself, whatever the final result will be. And don't forget that the main purpose of this (or any similar) contest is to have fun :)
Edited by Awaren, 2 Oct 2013, 10:13 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Gyzyn
pandorado100
Indeed, that's one beautiful instrument. I wish I had a multichamber ocarina, but I'm not very good at photography, and have only a cheap digital camera. So I don't think my skills are worthy of entering the contest.

PS
How are you doing with your new piano, Pawel? I'm sure that's much nicer than a triple ocarina. :)

Don't worry about not having a multichamber. You'll get one someday, I'm sure. You could always keep an eye out for TON members selling theirs.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Jeesh... and here I was hoping to start the TON Secret Santa early..... will anyone mind? :?

Things have been too busy for me lately so I probably won't be able to partake in the photo contest. :(

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I'm so glad there's another TON photography contest :) I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's entries. Also, the photography guidelines are awesome!

casper ocarina
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker and ocarinist

Ocarinadiva
3 Oct 2013, 04:33 AM
I'm so glad there's another TON photography contest :) I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's entries. Also, the photography guidelines are awesome!
Pretty well said, just what I thought. C:

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

The prize is awesome, too. :)

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Criteria has been now been changed to "Photo tips" to avoid confusion and to sound less intimidating :boogie:

Thanks Achint and Mark for the suggestions! :)

MagusStar13
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Gyzyn
2 Oct 2013, 12:01 PM
Jesus Christ Jill, I'm suprised nobody gave you the TON helper status yet. With all the contest you've organised you should be the fourth admin. :D
I'm with Gyzyn here on this! Jill is supercool!

hearmeroar2
Member Avatar
Nerd
I'm not worried about the equipment part...however, Arizona doesn't really have what most people call "Fall"...I shall try my best! That Casper is beautiful. Me wants. Good luck to everyone participating.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

hearmeroar2
5 Oct 2013, 01:33 AM
I'm not worried about the equipment part...however, Arizona doesn't really have what most people call "Fall"...I shall try my best! That Casper is beautiful. Me wants. Good luck to everyone participating.
I'm sure you have Halloween in Arizona though. ;)

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Attention!!! Prizes have been updated! We now have SIX official prizes for the contest :D

Thank you, Cris, Casper and Suki for your awesome and generous donations. You all rock!! :)

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
pandorado100
2 Oct 2013, 11:43 PM
Gyzyn
pandorado100

PS
How are you doing with your new piano, Pawel? I'm sure that's much nicer than a triple ocarina. :)

Don't worry about not having a multichamber. You'll get one someday, I'm sure. You could always keep an eye out for TON members selling theirs.
I'm having a lot of fun with it, weighted keys allow for much better dynamics, and mistakes aren't as obvious as on non weighted keys. Like I said earlier, the length of the notes the piano samples on this thing can produce sound beautiful, even though it's looping. :)
Awaren
2 Oct 2013, 10:12 PM
Gyzyn
I'm not very good at photography, and have only a cheap digital camera. So I don't think my skills are worthy of entering the contest.
Don't be afraid of it, Pawel. It's not about 5k $ equipment. All you need, is to understand few basics about lighting and composition. Even with cheapo "pocket" camera or even with camera in your phone you can take beautiful picture. And if you will be able to put at least a little piece of your soul into the picture, then you can be proud of yourself, whatever the final result will be. And don't forget that the main purpose of this (or any similar) contest is to have fun :)

Mark Chan

I would like to encourage everyone to participate. You can use any camera you want. In the end, the camera is just a tool to help you realize your vision. Some cameras just do things better than others; but it's the final product that counts. Don't feel discouraged and think that you are unworthy. That said; happy shooting! :)

Suki

We hope to get many participants as we did during the last contest. It is a pleasure judging and we look forward to everyone's entries! Don't worry it not owning professional equipment. This contest is for anyone who has a passion for ocarinas. :)Yes exactly Mark! (^_-) Ninja'd

Jill

And I echo what Mark and Adriana said!! You don't need a fancy camera to be a photographer. It's what ya DO with your little mechanism that counts ;)

Thank you for encouragement :) , maybe I'll participate, if I find enough spare time.
Edited by Gyzyn, 5 Oct 2013, 08:33 PM.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Pawel, Mark and I suggested that the pictures not be graded on quality of the actual image or lighting but rather be graded on the composition, execution and conceptualization now :)

Jill has edited the original post to put it as the first line in 'Photo tips'.

This way everyone can participate and not worry that their equipment is holding them back :D

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
And just for the record, I apologize if it came off as intimidating. Of course my general attitude is to always welcome everyone to participate :) So don't worry about your equipment! Your passion is what counts!!

Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
Where words fail, music speaks!
Another fun photo contest!
I really enjoyed participating in the last one and I look forward to seeing everybody's wonderful photos as well! c:

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Yay!! Glad to hear it, Danny :) Y'all have awesome imaginations and insight. I'm excited to see when the entries start comig in! :boogie:

TheYusumi
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
This sounds like an awesome idea, count me in!

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
This isn't my entry but I just wanted to do something to get everyone into the mood for picture taking. :)

Spoiler: click to toggle

I had some sweet potatoes on hand so I figured a good old visual gag would be nice.

If you don't think it belongs here and want me to take it down, I understand. :)

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
:rofl: Aw, Zero, you teeeeaaaaase!!

I think it's a funny picture ;) Definitely got my spirits up, and has made me hungry, too! XD

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Okay Jill, no more teasing.

Here's my entry! :D Sorry that it's kinda tall. :blush: Thanks to my brother for helping. :) Hope this motivates everyone.

Prairie Colors!

Verification photo!
Edited by Zero Tolerance, 7 Oct 2013, 07:58 PM.

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Very nice Zero! Thank you for your submission. Looks like we have our first entry. (^_^)

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Awesome!!! :D Thanks for your entry, Zero! It's beautiful :) I love autumn trees <3

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Okay, its no fun if we can't participate in our own contest right? Jk! To get everyone's creative juices flowing here is a participation entry. Now lets see more entries! :)
Suki's Halloween Contest Participation Entry

Sorry, I forgot to verify my own photo with a name tag xD *disqualifies self* :)

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Love, love, love, love, LOOOOOVEEE that photo, Adr!! It's beautiful. Terrific shot :)

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
"Fall colors" in Transylvania, or what? :-)

Danny Delaney
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
...and the creative juices are flowing! Stoked to see everyone's submissions :)

gytech
Member Avatar
The opinionated quiet guy.

Well, I know I don't interact much with the community but I decided to enter too. I hope you guys like it!

Sorry for the large photos. (<---- has no photo skills)

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Okie, I'm in :) . Took forever to correct the colours so they're true-to-life; they're still not perfect, but I'm bored of trying to adjust it, so here's my entry! :giggle:

My entry

My verification photo

About my verification photo:
I was almost home when I realized I'd forgotten to take it, and had to drive back to where I took my photo. By this time I was tired, and didn't wanna hop the barrier again to get the verification photo from the same angle, so I took it about 100 feet from where my entry photo was taken. However, you can see that giant cross, and the cliff, in both photos. :)

Member Avatar
So I decided to do something really fast xD
Links to image and verification:
Links

Images for those who are lazy: [PS the are HUGE pictures(you have been warned), gotta love high definition ;)]
Pic

Verify

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Ohhh, WONDERFUL!! :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Lovely images Hylian, gytech and Loading! They really capture autumn colours well :) I'm so happy to see more pictures already!

:lmao: I like the hat, Loading!

Thank you so much, guys, for entering! You're making it so much fun!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ