Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
A simple sheet music learning tutorial; write a simple tutorial for every knowledge level
Topic Started: 7 Sep 2013, 03:20 PM (4,956 Views)
Mickji
Member Avatar
The Ocarina Chipmunk_^^_.
@misheldoherty I'm curious about your link about Wood Bridge Music shop on google + .. what does it do or give? Is it a shop that do courses about music ?
Edited by Mickji, 13 Nov 2013, 06:21 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mickji
Member Avatar
So it is easier to find all the things that compose the tutorial, isn't it ?

http://mickji.altervista.org/learn-sheet-music-guide-list/

This is the list of all the articles that compose the tutorial
Any suggestion is very welcome

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Well, into the fray!

Learning to read sheet music is ALL about decoding the pitch and duration of a note from its representation on the staff given the clef symbol and the conventions for indicating duration. These conventions have largely been standardized for the last three hundred years or more.

Focus on treble and bass clef - I have been playing musical instruments since grade school (I am an old retired guy now) and have never encountered the alto or tenor clefs. There are tried and true nmomics - for the treble clef, the lines from the bottom up, EGBDF, are "Every Good Boy Does Fine" (or "Deserves Fudge"!) and the spaces are FACE (just remember "face"). There is no need for colors or shapes, and in fact they just confuse the real objective, which is to associate a position on a staff with a pitch.

Look at a tutorial book for the recorder, as there are quite a few. They pretty much start by associating three things - a note on the staff, the name of the note, and the fingering diagram or tab for the recorder. They teach perhaps three notes, have you practice reading and playing those notes, then add onre or two more, practice using all of those, add more, and so on - usually in a very short time, the student is sight reading simple tunes from sheet music. Somewhere early on, the notation for time signatures and duration of notes is introduced, usually starting with quarter notes, half notes and whole notes. I think the Mountain Ocarina tutorial also does it this way. By the end of the tutorial, you know the notes in the range of the instrument, know the fingering for each note, know time signatures and key signatures, and in short can sight read sheet music for at least most simple tunes. I applaud anybody who attempts to teach, but teaching should elucidate not confuse. Colors and shapes add nothing to this tried and true method of learing to read sheet music.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Edited by Pat Anderson, 1 Jul 2014, 06:06 AM.

Mickji
Member Avatar
Because there are many many people who wants to learn to read sheet music
and say that there is nothing around, I try my best to teach anything I know
To them and to everybody who is interested

Colors are useful to people with dyslessia and people with down syndrome
Because is proved that they help them ... and because colors are happy :p

About learning musical notes at a group of 3 I agree with you
I am writing some excercises and preparing videos which will help even the most unsecure, most lazy, most complaining person to learn them

About naming the msical notes in English I also agree with you
This is also why this article is helpful
http://mickji.hubpages.com/hub/shortcuts-for-Major-keys-learning
I hope it will be fun to learn musical notes
And I hope that people will have less troubles from now on, learning musical notes, sheet music and other notational kind
I also hope that they will not be shy to ask questions :D
Questions help people collaborate and learn all together
Edited by Mickji, 20 Aug 2014, 05:28 PM.

Mickji
Member Avatar
Have you tried the quiz? How many errors do you do ?
Do you want other quizzes?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Articles and Guides · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ