Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
A simple sheet music learning tutorial; write a simple tutorial for every knowledge level
Topic Started: 7 Sep 2013, 03:20 PM (5,230 Views)
Mickji
Member Avatar
The Ocarina Chipmunk_^^_.
Hi :jumpy:
Since a while I've been trying to make a tutorial about ocarina and sheet music
There are few people that are trying to use it
So I ask or tell you to use it, in this way the tutorial can become better and full of informations
Things are free so you don't have to pay anything to get lessons etc
Beginners and intermediate lessons are public so you don't need an account to read them, the advanced lessons will be for people that have an account, however creating an account does not require any payment
I tried to use websites to learn languages so I kinda know that a monthly premium account is a bit frustrating
For now there are basics about sheet music, the range of the ocarina and how a sheet music page is composed
I am working on a game to learn or practice musical notes both for beginners and advanced
It's been 8 years that I don't write a program so I have some dust and it will requires more time than how I was thinking
Video tutorials are in plan too,but first I must do some things that people asked me
Ok I cut it short !
This is the first article on the website : http://mickji.altervista.org/sheet-music/http://mickji.altervista.org/sheet-music/
Links are in bold so you should be able to travel in the full tutorial smoothly, links that are not in bold points to pages of the tutorial that are in draft and are not yet published,so give up on clicking them until they will be in blue underlined and bold ^^''
Please try it and tell me if it is too difficult, there too many informations, things are not fluent and also what are your questions and doubt so that more articles can be done and everyone can learn things by themselves smoothly so that everyone will learn sheet music and will not require tabs anymore other than if they want to "play" with it
Regards,
Mickji_^^_.

PS: I say sorry to everyone that wrote me messages in those years..I'm not good to use forums and TON is the only one that I force myself to use so I ask you a favour: if you write something about me, please can you send me a mail with the link of the message that you wrote? Else I'm not good to find it or else I'll answer after 1 year and more as it is yet happened '''>.> So I apologize to everyone that wrote to me and never had an answer, I'm not an arrogant person that doesn't care of you...I'm only not good to use forums m(_ _)m sorry
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mickji
Member Avatar
Range of all the main types of ocarine added to it
Natural notes added to it
Sharp and flat notes added to it
Page structure added to it
Learn sheet music same tone
Clefs added to it
Values values of notes and pauses added to it
Learn sheet music keys
Learn sheet music - tempo
Different notations added to it...I feel it is going a bit out of the argument sheet music now
Color legenda
Learn sheet music - articulation

Learn ocarina fingerings
Learn ocarina subholes

What should I add next ?
Edited by Mickji, 30 Jun 2014, 03:01 PM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

What's a PRA? Why the coloured animals?

Please DON'T make words up. Double ocarinas are not "doublets", the plural of "ocarina" is "ocarinas" in English, and "truplet" is not a word. Music theory is complicated enough without learning new words the reader will never see outside your website.

The idea of associating pitch classes with colours isn't helpful. The reader then has to remember the colourings AS WELL as other new stuff. Where is the compensating benefit?

Quote:

The cleff that tells you who plays the main melody and who is the accompaniment.

Not a sentence,"clef" is misspelt, and that's not what clefs are for anyway.

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

English is a second language for Mickji, so she's most likely not making words up -- they're just getting a bit twisted in translation.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I think Osawa ocarinas are labeled Doublet and Triplet respectively for the Double and Triple ocarinas.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mickji is not a native English speaker but she is working hard to compile a helpful tutorial for musical newbies. Why don't we give her a break, Jack? Would you like to write a better explanation of music theory in Korean? or Italian?

Nope, didn't think so. :)

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

It would probably be better if she did it in her native language first.

I was concerned about misinformation. Readers should not go away from the site with a musical language nobody else uses. If the nomenclature for ocarina names is bizarre, is the music terminology going to be any better? I don't know, since I can't see what she's written about it, but surely it's helpful to warn that she might be advised to find the normal terms for things and use them?

Remember this is a COMMERCIAL VENTURE, she's charging for it (unlike anything on my site). Maybe I should charge a consultancy fee for making suggestions about how to improve it.

(Yes, I did consider getting my ocarina page translated into Italian. The problem is I update it, and it would be too much to expect my Italian pal to follow my random schedule, she hasn't got that much time).

Oh sod it. I'm out of here. The thing can just fester if that's the response I get for trying to be constructive. I won't look at this thread again.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Jack Campin
9 Sep 2013, 02:25 AM
It would probably be better if she did it in her native language first.

I was concerned about misinformation. Readers should not go away from the site with a musical language nobody else uses. If the nomenclature for ocarina names is bizarre, is the music terminology going to be any better? I don't know, since I can't see what she's written about it, but surely it's helpful to warn that she might be advised to find the normal terms for things and use them?

Remember this is a COMMERCIAL VENTURE, she's charging for it (unlike anything on my site). Maybe I should charge a consultancy fee for making suggestions about how to improve it.

(Yes, I did consider getting my ocarina page translated into Italian. The problem is I update it, and it would be too much to expect my Italian pal to follow my random schedule, she hasn't got that much time).

Oh sod it. I'm out of here. The thing can just fester if that's the response I get for trying to be constructive. I won't look at this thread again.
There, there, Jack. No need to get all ruffly. I know you mean well you old codger. It's just that you sometimes come across as very Colonel Mustard-like in your constructive criticisms. Very peppery and vinegar despite the fact I sincerely believe you have a soft spot. Anybody who loves cats like you do, cant' be all bad IMO. :rofl:

Oh, and that Contribute link on Mickji's webpage is optional. You can still view her tutorials for free. At least I was able to do so when I checked it out a couple days ago.
Edited by pandorado100, 9 Sep 2013, 02:33 AM.

Firmament
Member Avatar
Musician with new found passion.
- - -
Edited by Firmament, 9 Sep 2013, 03:36 PM.

Mickji
Member Avatar
Jack Campin I thank you
However as you yet said PRA are the colored animals
They are usefull for people with visual memory and dyslexia problems
Tell me, if you are not english will it be easier to remember a weird sentence to remember half of the notes and then count the lines or learn only the colors? in this way you don't need translations nor you have to count the lines. So you need to do less things.. maybe you find it difficult because you are doing 3 things in your head since you already know the musical notes, but I tested this with childrens.. in one week they were able to read sheet music ^^.
Mark Chan you are right.
Doublets, truplets,triplets,quadruple are used in French Japanese and other languages, this is why I wrote them as different ways to name these kinds of ocarine
( トリプレット trupletto literaly)
About ocarina I can tell you that it is an italian word, so it is correct to use the italian plural instead of the english way to create plurals...else I can use the asian way ( plural does not exist so you'll see one ocarina two ocarina a bunch of ocarina )
One other thing Jack Campin, were you forced to pay to get the informations? No, you only pay when you want a sheet music or tabs in a high resolution and the accompaniment of it...so I don't think that you can say it is charging you.
As I wrote in the main message, the links that are not bold cannot be viewed even if you create an account because if they are not bold it means that they point to drawfts.
And as I wrote in the first article "The website is not yet translated in other languages. Soon after speakers of the mother tongue will be found, the site will be translated ( chinese english german italian japanese korean russian spanish)" So...I accept help from anyone that can help ^^ and if you want I can help you translating things in Italian Jack Campin if you want.
Firmament there is a problem...music is a mix of languages, many words are borrowed from Italian but some things are translated in a very different way Example :
measures -> battuta (beat)
clef - > chiave (key)
staff - > pentagramma (pentagram)
con moto -> con moto
A la coda -> a la coda
Will you say that a 1/4 note is a quarter or a semiminima ?
So music must be learned in many different languages, you cannot just learn it in one language because when you'll try to translate it then the other people will look at it like an alien
And Jack Campin...be a bit patient...as I already wrote, I'm not so good to use forums so I need a bit of time, to find threads to answer etc and even if I click F5, the page will not show your answer,so time is required to reand and answer to your messages, I'm not ignoring you ( just to make it clear for everyone )
And I thank you pandorado100 because you always have a calm and analitical way to analize everything so that you are never angry with me ^w^
Oh and thank you also Angiessa for understanding ^^
And.. I wrote Clef instead of cleff...I put the double f because of "staff" .. I also have dyslexia
Jack Campin I moved the names that you don't like down and the names that you like up, so that names that nobody else uses are now a secondary information and people will skip it.
What is the thing that you said you cannot see ? "is the music terminology going to be any better? I don't know, since I can't see what she's written about it, "
I deleted all the links that points to draft pages, so there will not be the worry of that
Edited by Mickji, 9 Sep 2013, 01:59 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Mickji
9 Sep 2013, 11:23 AM
Mark Chan you are right.
Doublets, truplets,triplets,quadruple are used in French Japanese and other languages, this is why I wrote them as different ways to name these kinds of ocarine
リ is actually 'ri' so it would be toripuretto.
ル is 'ru' ;)
Edited by Mark Chan, 9 Sep 2013, 02:45 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I think Mickji would love to have the help of a native English speaker for editing and revising her tutorials to make it sound better. I sometimes help Robert proofread his posts for his Pure Ocarina website but I don't think my level of musical knowledge is adequate to provide editorial assistance in this particular case.

So, why not help out instead of criticizing? If you know enough to see the problems in Mickji's writing, volunteer your knowledge. It wouldn't hurt to try a little kindness too. It's not like we're waging war here.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I think Jack was trying to be helpful. Although his response was frank and non-sugarcoated, he wasn't being mean. He also made it clear that he won't be looking at this thread again (he was pretty much shooed away); so I don't think asking questions here will reach him.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
It's funny how some people can dish it out but can't take it. :P

I would welcome Jack's contribution since he has an inexhaustible store of knowledge. I just hate seeing Mickji's feelings hurt.

Samuel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Why not use red to violet for the notes of the scale? The colours of the rainbow have a natural order, unlike the ones you're using now. If you want to add another kind of visual information, you could use shape notes.

Mickji
Member Avatar
Mark when you write you write r but when you pronounce it it become l
example miruto -> milt
Maybe he will look again,who knows ^^ never say never
I tried to answer to all the things everyone said, and I don't think that I wrote something in a rude, if I did then I apologize
Samuel..there is violet and red O_o
Yes I would love some help
Because I learned everything alone by myself so I learned something in a language something in another language ...so I'm a mess also under this point of view XD
And yes Mark Chan Jack was helpful
Edited by Mickji, 9 Sep 2013, 11:12 PM.

Samuel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I mean:

C = red
D = orange
E = yellow
F = green
G = mid-blue
A = blue-purple
B = violet

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Mickji
9 Sep 2013, 10:56 PM
Mark when you write you write r but when you pronounce it it become l
example miruto -> milt
Maybe he will look again,who knows ^^ never say never
Yes, you are right, but I was referring to something else, lol.

Quote:

I would've spelled it tripletto instead of trupletto.
I'm not familiar with that spelling; and noticed that you use that spelling multiple times; so maybe it's not a typo?

Member Avatar
Don't worry, I understood everything you said, some people just have nothing better to do than belittle others on an internet forum that has many members of different ethnic backgrounds SMH.

Mickji
Member Avatar
Mark Chan O_O You're right ! I always mispelled it ! Since there was Double, I said Trouple ... I'm such a donkey u_u'''
Samuel, your idea is nice, but then isn't it difficult to understand if a note is G or A for people that have sight difficulties? I must find someone and ask him-her to test it ^^
To remember the rainbow colors is easier than remember random colors
I also had requests to add pink to the colors because C color was not nice
But then too many colors will be light ... I think I will end up with a black colored note XD
Loading... I thank you ^^ I also hope that everything written is simple and correct

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mickji, if you ever need help with spelling words in English, I would be happy to assist. I'm not confident enough about music theory to attempt to edit your tutorials. I'm still learning myself and a lot of what I have learned has been self taught.

I think you are doing a great job, providing helpful information for newbies. Your Contribute button is more like a donation box that street buskers use not a mandatory fee so that shouldn't be a big issue.

You obviously love music and enjoy sharing your knowledge with others. Thank you. :)

Samuel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Yes, you would need to make sure that colours for notes next to each other are distinguished. I was thinking:

C D E F G A B

I have pretty good vision, so someone else will need to test those colours.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Samuel
10 Sep 2013, 04:07 PM
Yes, you would need to make sure that colours for notes next to each other are distinguished. I was thinking:

C D E F G A B

I have pretty good vision, so someone else will need to test those colours.
I have 20/400 vision so I am very near sighted. I also have presbyopia and wear bifocals.

I would have trouble seeing notes in that faded light tan color of the letter "E" in your example. There's not enough contrast for my eyes. The light green "F" is also not good.

But then again, Mickji is hoping to help children learn how to read music with her color system, not middle aged seniors. :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I can barely see the F. Also, I think color blind people can't see purple, or can't tell what color it is.

Ocarinamusic
Member Avatar

Hi Mickji, You're doing good work here, keep it up!

aniki91344
Member Avatar
up up down down left right left right B A start
I'm slightly colorblind to green. Just as Mark said, the "F" is very hard to see, especially with TON's light blue background. I think it would help if it was a little darker.

Member Avatar
Maybe you could give everything a black outline?

Firmament
Member Avatar
I remember seeing a system used to teach children sheet music that instead of colored note heads, used shapes, where some were circles, others ovals, and then triangles and so on.. I never thought much of it, but thought I'd mention it.

Posted Image

Samuel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Let me see if I can do something about that E and F...

C D E F G A B

The E clashes pretty horribly with the blue background, but the slight bit of red I added should make it more visible on white than pure yellow is.

There are different kinds of colour blindness, with each one affecting the perceived spectrum in different ways. Here is a comprehensive table.
Edited by Samuel, 11 Sep 2013, 12:56 AM.

Mickji
Member Avatar
*-* Now I cry,seriously !
Hi to everybody and thank you for the help :jumpy:
I accept help in translating the things in a good english pandorado100 ^^
For the technical words, we will find a more knowledge person to ask to, maybe one person for every language, so there are not "words up" anymore.
The thing about kids is because if they understand it,then everybody understand it. When we want to explain something we always must think of it as explaining it to kids,so that we will have more success ;)
Samuel, I know that there are people that cannot see that B color ( they see it as gray )
I have an orange-pink background to TON..why am I not blue like you O_o?
Firmament the thing of the shapes is really cool ^^ but I know that some of those shapes are used for drum sheet music instead of the circle shape
Isn't it confusing ?
I thought about the colors, black cannot be used because then tabs cannot be draw XD
So..if pink B will become gray...let's keep it pink XD
I hope that there will be problems with B only and not the other colors
I saw the link for the kinds of color blindeness, I really thank you ^^ it is very useful !
And no, the tutorial is not for kids only, it is intended to be for everyone,this is why I'm searching a ways to make it readable for anyone
I am searching informations for blind people too, I know braille but making a website for blind people is not an easy job
Maybe a book will be better for them, I still continue to hope ^^
You obviously love music and enjoy sharing your knowledge with others. Thank you. :) <- This is because I was alone when I was learning, and I don't want that anyone else will feel in that way.
Often I thought to give up because things were difficult and nobody explain them ( here I'm the only one that know something about music... there is a music teacher in a 2 years school for kids here..but she only sing sing sing..always the same 3 songs... I still try to ask her help...If it will be a success then you'll know ^^ )
Now I try to write a scale with your suggestions
Edited by Mickji, 11 Sep 2013, 02:13 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Samuel
11 Sep 2013, 12:48 AM
Let me see if I can do something about that E and F...

C D E F G A B

The E clashes pretty horribly with the blue background, but the slight bit of red I added should make it more visible on white than pure yellow is.

There are different kinds of colour blindness, with each one affecting the perceived spectrum in different ways. Here is a comprehensive table.
Now I can read the F easily because the green is darker but the yellow E is nearly invisible to me. I am using Green Tea theme for viewing the forum.

Firmament
Member Avatar
Mickji
11 Sep 2013, 01:34 PM
Firmament the thing of the shapes is really cool ^^ but I know that some of those shapes are used for drum sheet music instead of the circle shape
Isn't it confusing ?
If people wanted to learn the real sheet music you wouldn't use colors or shapes at all. This should just be a step that is removed and leave just the black note heads. Personally, I've never seen anyone struggle with sheet music because of the note heads, I think colors and shapes are just making it more work than need be. But I also learned sheet music as a young lad :)

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Some inconsistencies:

-The PRA thing - C is presented first in PRA, but in the sheet music it is the last and highest note. Notes should be in same order as PRA. Also replace term PRA with an understandable word such as fox. They are introduced, but do not appear again. Also, it is not given that the notes are as you claim as the clef is missing.
-"Rhytmic impulse" is called time signature. You also do not explain what it means or how it is read.
-The "timing" is called tempo. It tells how many times the depicted note is played in a minute (beats per minute), which you also do not explain.
-Same tone doesn't need a separate article in my opinion. It should be incorporated to article about sharps and flats.

Mickji
Member Avatar
Firmament the colors are used to help people with dyslexia.. when you have dyslexia, it's really difficult to understand if a note is up or down or on a line, colors will help them because it makes a "detachment"
Endalion I don't want to use the low C on the sheet music for now
Some people find difficult to remember the notes that are at the ledger, so it is better to make the things more simple that is possible
The same happens when people see the upper octave too, for example when they get a double or triple
I started with the because the first note of an ocarina in C is C
Also, it is not given that the notes are as you claim as the clef is missing. <- what do you mean here ?
Time signature will be now changed, I want to make a separate article about it, explaining what the upper and lower part means and showing different examples of time signature
And ok, I will make a single article about the close up of the notes ^^

Firmament
Member Avatar
Mickji
12 Sep 2013, 03:22 PM
Firmament the colors are used to help people with dyslexia.notes ^^
That makes sense. I have to wonder though, are there entire sheets of music also written in these colors? I would feel bad going through all this work to try and read music, if in the real world, it isn't written in color :c

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Mickji, the clef is a key that determines what notes the lines in the staff are. For treble clef, middle C is in the ledger line below the staff, but for bass clef middle C is in the ledger line above the staff. The note lines in your animal page do not have a clef.

All three clefs on same note lines. Middle C line is grayed out in the picture.

Posted Image

Here's same scale of notes notated with different clefs:

Treble clef

Bass clef

Alto clef

Tenor clef

I started with the because the first note of an ocarina in C is C

Yet you omit the note from the note lines. The reason why last note is presented first will not convey to students well on that page.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: clef.png (2.95 KB)
Edited by Endalion, 13 Sep 2013, 08:49 AM.

Mickji
Member Avatar
Yes there are colored sheet music, but since none created a program that makes the colored dot automatically when you write the note, you'll find few on these things
I know a violin book with colors, I will search other books
This is from violin and viola grade 1 Posted Image
There are also music books for blind people ^^ they are very interesting, things are written in numbers and other sing...one day I will understand something about it hahaha
Endalion, I understood what you mean in the first half of the message
You mean that I should add the clef to the note and not show the note only because without the clef,the note in the same position "have different names"
I have not understood what you mean in the second half
..Is it " if you write D first, then you must mention D first" ? I think I understood now
...Now I think about a way to change it in order to makes things less confusing and clear
Attached to this post:
Attachments: twinkle_twinkle.png (33.88 KB)
Edited by Mickji, 13 Sep 2013, 06:59 PM.

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Yes, I think you got it. The clef defines which notes/pitches the note lines represent. If the score is not transposed, the clef is located always on same pitches.

Also, when it comes to the ocarina pitches it is pointless to repeat same ranges over and over again. You should do the headers like

"4-hole ocarina (English cross-fingering) or 7-hole ocarina (linear fingering)"

Whistle
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Firmament
10 Sep 2013, 10:39 PM
I remember seeing a system used to teach children sheet music that instead of colored note heads, used shapes, where some were circles, others ovals, and then triangles and so on.. I never thought much of it, but thought I'd mention it.

Posted Image

This is the "fasola" way of notation, in which each shape repeats as well as the note "fa, sol, la, fa, sol, la, mi." Around the mid 19th century, a man by the name of Aiken gave each note their own individual shapes instead of them having to repeat themselves; called the "Aiken shape notes." These styles were used for shape note singing as well as a way to teach people to read music. It fell out of favor because people wanted to do things the European way and switched over to note heads. Personally, this is how I learned to read music, using shape notes. It was fun and enjoyable to learn. Then I moved on to the regular round note heads.
Edited by Whistle, 14 Sep 2013, 05:13 PM.

Mickji
Member Avatar
I learned the musical notes trying to play a simple version of Donna Donna in German, Thank you Hans ^^
I spent 5 days on that song repeating the names of the notes + the fingering in the measures over and over again
If at that time, that was difficult to read the tabs too, I'd seen shapes too I think I would get lost
Luckily I discovered numbers before of it so I could make a huge collage of things, which makes learning clearer to me
- I am drawing all the colored things of the website again,using the rainbow method
I feel sorry for the people that yet tried that set of colors
And I will update the videos too
Sorry for the long wait for the new articles and for the long wait to see everything updated
Endalion f^^'' I thought that put them in a linear list instead of a pendant method made things easier (I'm kidding about the pendant )
Ok I group them, so the page become shorter ^^
Edited by Mickji, 14 Sep 2013, 05:38 PM.

Mickji
Member Avatar
Is it perfect now? :)
Posted Image
I deleted the background,so it is possible to check it with every background
But usually it will be on a grey 30% background ...also white on request, but gray will be the default because I cannot work on white backgrounds
Attached to this post:
Attachments: scal2.png (21.46 KB)
Edited by Mickji, 24 Sep 2013, 05:51 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
That's pretty good, Mickji. The new colors are easier for me to see against the background. I am currently using Green Tea theme.

I really find the positions of the notes on the staff lines and spaces are more helpful to me in reading the notes rather than the colors. Which is why I have no problems reading standard black and white music sheets.

However, if it helps other people learn to read music, then I'm all for it. :)

Mickji
Member Avatar
Clefs added to it
Now working on the values of the notes and the corresponding pauses
I am trying to add audio samples ...this is the difficult part u.u''''
The problem is...now things become full of examples and long and difficult...will they also become boring ?

misheldoherty
Beginner
Tutorials on Sheet music is just great, thanks for presenting us such an awesome tutorials. By, using it, I just don't require any faculty.

Mickji
Member Avatar
For the difficult things, example orchestration, it is needed a school I think ... Neither I know that things
I'm trying to write about what I learned so far in those 2 - 3 years
If I will be able to go to school then I will learn more things, so I can write about them

If you find it helpful, and people will learn from it, I am super happy ^w^
Any tip on what to do later is more than welcome
Other than tempo and keys that are mentioned in the Page structure and the games about the musical note, I don't know what to say about sheet music f^^''
There will be a simple fingering page, but that is part of Ocarina learning not Sheet music learning

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Articles and Guides · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ