Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Yummy Food Photography
Topic Started: 18 Aug 2013, 08:53 PM (3,276 Views)
Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

After seeing a lot of drop dead gorgeous looking dishes from you lot on Facebook, I was inspired to create this thread where you talented chefs can show of your wonderful presentation skills by sharing photos of your marvellous dishes.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I take pictures of everything I cook, so I'm glad you made this thread. :)

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

This isn't a pretty cake, and this isn't a good photo either, but this cake was delicious~

Spoiler: click to toggle

Chocolate Sour Cream bundt cake, with a dark chocolate ganache, and I served it with vanilla bean ice cream :)
I made it last night!
Edited by Bateleur, 18 Aug 2013, 11:50 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Bring on dah pictures! I love looking at yummy food. I sure hope Shion Itsuki contributes to this thread. She is always posting delicious looking food on FB. :)

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Awesome thread, Mat!! Time to make everyone hungry! :evil:

Here's a fruit topping pie I made last year for our pastry arts class. Yummy.

Posted Image

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
That does look yummy Jill. I just want to grab a fork and dive right in. :)

This picture is curried pork I made. It doesn't look so good because I'm using a Nintendo DS for my camera but it sure tasted wonderful. :)

Pork curry
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Porkcurry.jpg (58.88 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 21 Aug 2013, 12:38 PM.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Gah I used to have little bowls with tabs on the ends like that! I haven't had them for years... I'd like about twenty of them now! :B

And Jill, that cake is just amazingly beautiful! I don't think I have the patience for something like that, lol. My cake was just a cake drunkenly slathered in chocolate, lol.
Edited by Bateleur, 21 Aug 2013, 04:14 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
@ Bateleur

I haven't seen those bowls in stores lately either. They were made by Corning and called Grab It bowls. I find them perfect for heating up meals in the microwave. Maybe you could find a set of vintage ones at a Salvation Army thrift shop. When I was in college I got a lot of great kitchenware there at rock bottom prices but of course, nothing matched. :rofl:
Edited by pandorado100, 21 Aug 2013, 05:44 PM.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

They're so nice, because you can hold them up with just your finger & thumb on that tab and not get burned if you heated up soup in the microwave or something. My grandfather of all people found them for me back when I still had them..... I'll have to look hard.

IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
Yup, my grandparents had some of those bowls. I have very fond memories of eating chocolate walnut icecream and cereal out of them. I'm sure they were sold off along with the house after my grandpa died and my grandma moved into a nursing home. I think having grandparents get old is one of the hardest things about growing up...

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

My food is prittymuch 'cook, dump on plate, eat'. Don't really care what something looks like as long as it tastes good. And I don't have much sence of taste as I'm somewhat anosmc, I have a poor sence of smell.

On photographey, natural light is always a good thing.

Jil, that pie looks awesome.
Edited by Robert Hickman, 21 Aug 2013, 07:16 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Mmmm, pork curry sounds freakin' delicious, Jeanne!! Nicely done, too :thumbsup: I'll have to try some!

And thanks, peeps! ^.^

Here's a dish I made for our "blackbox exam" (improvisation) near the end of second semester. It's turkey scallopini with allemande sauce, blanched green beans, and a tomato mix ^.^

Posted Image

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Your plating of the food is very well done. It really makes the food look irresistible. I hope you plan on keeping up with your culinary skills, Jill, even though you said you planned on majoring in writing.

IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
Speaking of plating - Jill, do you choose the dishes based on the food that will be served on them? I recently read a summary of a study that found correlation between the perceived flavor of a food and the dish's color, shape, etc. I don't remember a lot of it, but they said that people tended to perceive bitter tastes more in foods served on square dishes.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Looks delicious, Jill, but it's only three bites, it looks like. XD

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
@ Jeanne: Aww, thanks, lova! I am definitely still cooking to this day and I keep everything I learned in mind when I do. Culinary taught me a lot (though I know there's still SO much more to learn!) and I think I love and appreciate food more because of it. It was one of the best learning experiences of my life so far ^.^ Also, you're awesome!! :manhug:

@IzzyB: Thanks!! :) And I have never heard of that before myself. The study sounds like it was conducted by really picky eaters IMO :rofl: but to answer your question, no, we did not get to choose the shape or colour of our plates. White, square plates (at least over here) are traditionally used for fine dining or a higher style of service. Also, the square edges and grooves allow for cooks and servers to hold and carry them in a way that won't tarnish or smudge the surface of the dish so there's almkst no need to wipe or clean again. Who wants to see a slimy finger print next to their meal after all? ;) Food safety is imperitive. It's just how it is, and personally I like the square-ness!! XD

I'm interested in this study, though. Got a link? :)

@ Bat: Haha, thanks! And I believe it 'looks' small because it was an appetizer ;) Also (again, at least over here) it is for health and convenience (but mostly health) of the public that we watch our portion sizes and be sure we don't overdo it. Less is sometimes more.

FOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! <3
Edited by Jill theredhedgehog, 23 Aug 2013, 10:48 AM.

IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
The taste of cutlery (full study)
NPR summary of study

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
My mother and her friend Fumi booked a stay at a Japanese inn specializing in kaiseki cuisine during our vacation in Japan. If you like tiny portions served on elegantly beautiful doll sized plates, then I recommend it.

I, however, being a raised in America gaijin style person felt constantly hungry during our stay at that inn. I wanted to ask for a Super Size portion. Maybe that's why Japanese are not as fat as most Americans. lol

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Kaiseki_cuisine.jpg (87.21 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 23 Aug 2013, 08:17 PM.

Grimat
Member Avatar

Mmmmm these look yummy. The presentation on some look amazing =]

Firmament
Member Avatar
Musician with new found passion.
Just finished eating this,
Its chicken cordon bleu (that i handmade and also added spinach to) and garlic shells!

Posted Image

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

pandorado100
23 Aug 2013, 08:16 PM
Maybe that's why Japanese are not as fat as most Americans. lol
*cough *sumowrestlers* *cough*

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Wollemi Pine
9 Sep 2013, 02:19 AM
pandorado100
Well I did see an interview with the Yokozuna named Konishiki once in which he said that he loved eating McDonalds.

I'm surprised how sumos manage to achieve their large size considering most Japanese food is low fat. Chanko nabe doesn't look particularly fattening to me.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: chankonabe.jpg (17.89 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 9 Sep 2013, 02:26 AM.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I figure this is the sumo meal of choice in Japan....

Posted Image
Posted Image

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Actually, I've been eyeing that photo of chanko nabe I uploaded. That looks pretty yummy. I've got to try making it someday. It looks positively healthy with all those mushrooms, naganegi and fish cake.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I've had the Mega Mac in Japan and was thoroughly disappointed. :/ Get rid of the middle bun and add at least 3 more patties, and I'll be happy. Lotteria has those 7-9 patty burgers from time to time. The new tsukimi burgers that they have at McDonalds now look pretty good. Eggs in sandwiches... yummy! :love:

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
What is it with the Japanese fetish for serving eggs on top of hamburgers? I remember the pictures of you and Milt eating burgers at some Japanese restaurant. Maybe they don't have Egg McMuffins instead?

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Lol, I grew up eating sandwiches with eggs. Eggs always make things taste better. :)

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Pandorado, you honestly don't know what you're missing. Eggs on top of a sandwich are amazing. I love them over easy on a sandwich, so that when you bite into it, the yolk spills all over everything. <3

A poached egg on a sandwich can also be good when you're too lazy to fry one in a pan, though it's just not quite as good!

Back when I saw the Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddess in Atlanta last year, I had a random "Kitchen Sink" burger from a nearby steakhouse that had a fried egg on top. It was almost as good as the show~
Edited by Bateleur, 9 Sep 2013, 06:41 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

What was in the Kitchen Sink burger? Sounds interesting. I'll be going to Atlanta at the end of October.

Edit: nvm, just looked it up. Apparently it's an actual recipe and many places have them.
Edited by Mark Chan, 9 Sep 2013, 06:52 PM.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

pandorado100
9 Sep 2013, 02:25 AM
Wollemi Pine
pandorado100
Well I did see an interview with the Yokozuna named Konishiki once in which he said that he loved eating McDonalds.

The interesting thing, since World War II, the Japanese population has been getting taller. This has been attributed to them adopting a more Western diet.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Bateleur
9 Sep 2013, 06:39 PM
Pandorado, you honestly don't know what you're missing. Eggs on top of a sandwich are amazing. I love them over easy on a sandwich, so that when you bite into it, the yolk spills all over everything. <3
A sunny-side-up egg in a BLT is quite amazing! :D

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Check out these burgers! They even have the Kitchen Sink! I wanna go here for lunch and get an egg added to one of them. :D The Mac Attack looks good, but from my experience with Mac 'n Cheese, it's not something that goes well on sandwiches. It'll just fall right out and you end up eating with utensils or your hands anyway.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Wollemi Pine
9 Sep 2013, 09:44 PM
pandorado100
9 Sep 2013, 02:25 AM
Wollemi Pine
pandorado100

The interesting thing, since World War II, the Japanese population has been getting taller. This has been attributed to them adopting a more Western diet.
The younger generation of Japanese are definitely taller. When I visited Japan with my mother, I felt like a giant when I walked next to the older folks and I'm 5' 5".

I was about the same height as most of the younger girls but the boys were usually taller than me. I'd say they were around 5' 8". I saw one young Japanese girl that had to have been 5' 10" she looked enormous compared to everybody else.

They were also skinnier than me. :)
Mark Chan
9 Sep 2013, 10:08 PM
Check out these burgers! They even have the Kitchen Sink! I wanna go here for lunch and get an egg added to one of them. :D The Mac Attack looks good, but from my experience with Mac 'n Cheese, it's not something that goes well on sandwiches. It'll just fall right out and you end up eating with utensils or your hands anyway.
That's exactly the problem I have with eating Five Guys burgers. They have so many toppings that all squish out when you bite into the burger. I always have to use lots of napkins.

I've never heard of this Boston Burger place. They must be relatively new.
Edited by pandorado100, 9 Sep 2013, 10:53 PM.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Today I learned how to make shrimp tempura and onigiri :D
Posted Image

Grimat
Member Avatar

I baked a cake today, I'm impressed with the result:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
*gasp!* :noes: what lovely looking budgie food you have there Grimat!..... and the cake looks yummy too. :rofl: Good job!

Grimat
Member Avatar

XD, Thnakyou =D

(Kevin)
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Tonight my girlfriend and I decided to make a dessert for after dinner. We went with a white chocolate, vanilla and blueberry cheesecake. The end result is a bit messy to look at but its soooooooo tasty. I think we make a great team. We will definitely be enjoying this for the next day or two :D

White Choc And Blueberry Cheese Cake
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Cheesecake__1_.jpg (55.04 KB)
Attachments: Cheesecake__2_.jpg (58.27 KB)
Attachments: Cheesecake__3_.jpg (61.25 KB)
Attachments: Cheesecake__4_.jpg (66.03 KB)
Edited by (Kevin), 28 Sep 2013, 11:16 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I'm trying to decide which looks tastier--the meteor finish ocarina or the cheesecake? lol

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
@Jeanne- Me too! ^.^ I also like the StarTrek cup.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Some pics I took for a local restaurant. FB Link | HQ Link
With no windows or natural sunlight, I think I replicated it pretty well on some of them.
The lamb chops shot really could've used a smaller aperture and higher flash output. The DOF is too shallow for my liking.
Edited by Mark Chan, 11 Nov 2013, 04:18 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I saw your food pics on FB. They looked great. It made me very hungry just to look at them. :)

Grimat
Member Avatar

They looks tasty mark, great presentation skills on the Chef's side, and great photography on yours

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Thank you. :)
I've always found Food Photography to be difficult; but I've gotten better over time.

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Ah this thread is the best! <3 Ok... now I'm really hungry.. xD

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Artisan Crafts · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ