Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fading notes out by covering soundhole
Topic Started: 19 May 2013, 04:19 AM (2,112 Views)
Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

It's not exactly anything new (and it goes without saying) but I thought I would start a topic on it since I can't see one that has already been started for this technique

It has already been mentioned in the forum that partially covering the sound hole can drop the pitch, but you can also completely cover the sound hole in order to fade out a note. This can be particularly useful when playing multi chambers

I use this technique for instance when I play Yellow by Coldplay. At the part where they sing 'you know I love you so' to end the verse before the instrumental only part

There are two ways you can do this. Firstly, you can fade the note out and drop the pitch by closing the sound hole with your thumb on an angle. This is the one I use for the song yellow as the note fades while dropping

The second way is to fade the note out without dropping the pitch. To do this, close the sound hole by bringing your thumb perpendicular (front on) to the sound hole
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
Interesting effect. I will play with this a little. Thanks for sharing. :)

segevrl
Member Avatar
I play pendants too!
I've never thought to do it, thanks for the idea :)

Pori
Member Avatar
A. Nony Mouse
It is pretty interesting, but how do you do it if both thumb holes have to be covered?

Taxtengo
Beginner
Or you could gradually drop your breath and simultaneously do a portamento up so the two things cancel each other and the volume fades but the pitch does not change. That trick is quite difficult to control, however...

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Interesting technique. Maybe easier to do on a multichamber. I've tried and failed on my Alto Cs.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Playing Techniques · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ