Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Casper Ocarinas; new 7 hole pendant
Topic Started: 3 May 2013, 09:59 PM (4,189 Views)
pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Casper Ocarina just posted news on Facebook of some 7 hole ocarinas that he is making. They are configured in transverse style but they use a variation of English cross fingering to play. He says that they will be less expensive than his usual transverse and multichamber ocarinas and very easy to learn and play.

Casper on Facebook

Casper Ocarina

1. have one subhole to play low #F

2.add one more hole on the left hand side, using ring finger to cover, and it is the last hole you open to play the highest note C, the rest holes are using cross fingering method, and it is quite the same with the 6 holes, except left thumb open first to play A.

3.Holding method is a bit similar to transverse style, so that player can adapt transverse easily.

Posted Image

7 hole fingering chart
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Casper_7holependant.jpg (140.69 KB)
Attachments: Casper_7_hole_fingering_chart.pdf (76.79 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 3 May 2013, 10:06 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

So cute! :)

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Make music, not notes! >:(
Those are incredibly cute! :) Casper's ocarinas are a close second to Takashi! Go Casper!

casper ocarina
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker and ocarinist

Thanks Jeanne C:
This is the Casper Ocarina Facebook linkage, welcome to visit.^^

http://www.facebook.com/HuangZhongXianOcarina
Edited by casper ocarina, 4 May 2013, 03:54 AM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I love those colors! :)

Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
casper welcome to the ocarina network! :D

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Welcome to TON, Casper! :)

What lovely ocarinas! Very cute, and I like the variety in colour finishes.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Welcome to TON, Casper. :)

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Welcome to TON Casper! Could you ask Pan Kuolong if he could join? It would make speaking with him so much easier, plus I love his instruments! :D

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

It's good to see you here, Casper!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
casper ocarina
4 May 2013, 03:50 AM
Thanks Jeanne C:
This is the Casper Ocarina Facebook linkage, welcome to visit.^^

http://www.facebook.com/HuangZhongXianOcarina
Welcome to TON, Casper.

I hope you come back and visit again with more news of your ocarinas. :grin:

We need to see if the Admins can get a special Ocarina Maker banner for your account. {hello? Stephen? Elven?}
Edited by pandorado100, 4 May 2013, 11:59 PM.

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
He HAS to get one, or it would just be unfair! :(

casper ocarina
Member Avatar

Thanks everybody, I will spend more time familiar with TON thread.
This is the song call bird I palyed with my SC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=COM13JrrmQQ

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Nice job on the little bird video, Casper. You play so well. I will keep practicing so I will be able to sound good on your ocarinas. :)

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
That was a very nice performance, Casper!

casper ocarina
Member Avatar

This afternoon, I took out the new making ocarinas from kiln oven, and every ocarina is intact, this batch included unusual key like SE , AD , AB ,and also common key like AG , all of them are made for ocarina friends. C:

I just spent about 1.5 hours to browse around TON , lots of interesting articles to read . :grin:

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

casper ocarina
7 May 2013, 02:22 PM
This afternoon, I took out the new making ocarinas from kiln oven, and every ocarina is intact, this batch included unusual key like SE , AD , AB ,and also common key like AG , all of them are made for ocarina friends. C:

I just spent about 1.5 hours to browse around TON , lots of interesting articles to read . :grin:
So excited for my ocarinas! Can't wait! :boogie:

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Alto D? That would be a nice key to have someday. I also like the idea of a Soprano E. You are not helping me with my Ocarina Addiction Syndrome, Casper. :)

I see that Elven Spellmaker has given you the special Business Member banner for your avatar, Casper. That makes me happy. It didn't seem right for an ocarina maker to have to display the newbie icon of a broken ocarina. :P

Jubal
Member Avatar

Sound like great tunings :)

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Mmm, alto D is delicious! :)

casper ocarina
Member Avatar

pandorado100
7 May 2013, 03:16 PM
Alto D? That would be a nice key to have someday. I also like the idea of a Soprano E. You are not helping me with my Ocarina Addiction Syndrome, Casper. :)

I see that Elven Spellmaker has given you the special Business Member banner for your avatar, Casper. That makes me happy. It didn't seem right for an ocarina maker to have to display the newbie icon of a broken ocarina. :P
Thanks Jeanne for get me a banner , I don't like broken ocarina at all. >:3
Mark Chan
7 May 2013, 02:54 PM
casper ocarina
7 May 2013, 02:22 PM

So excited for my ocarinas! Can't wait! :boogie:
Still need one to two weeks to finished them. :c
Edited by casper ocarina, 7 May 2013, 04:47 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

casper ocarina
7 May 2013, 04:45 PM
Still need one to two weeks to finished them. :c
That's fine. Take your time! :)

landhere

Casper, your 13 hole SC is amazing! I was afraid with my big hands, it would be too small, but it fits perfectly and the tone is so pure and clear, not shrill at all!

casper ocarina
Member Avatar

landhere
7 May 2013, 05:53 PM
Casper, your 13 hole SC is amazing! I was afraid with my big hands, it would be too small, but it fits perfectly and the tone is so pure and clear, not shrill at all!
Thanks Landhere , l am glade you like it. :)

FudgeFiddle
Noobalicious
How does one purchase one of those awesome 7-holes?

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Contact Casper through Facebook. since he is here now you could probably PM him to ask when they will be available. :)

FudgeFiddle
Noobalicious
Oh ok. I don't have a facebook so my only option would be to pm.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Casper just sent me a link to a video he made of his new 7 hole mini ocarina. It sounds pretty good. I'm afraid I can't play mine so well. I'm still trying to learn the fingering. It's a bit different from standard pendant or transverse fingering but it gives you pretty good range from G3 to C5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLd0DhMgyyo

I'll also share a picture of my new Casper Alto G and the 7 hole mini transverse I got from him this week. :)

Casper ocarinas
Attached to this post:
Attachments: CasperAltoG_pendant.jpg (53.33 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 23 May 2013, 12:33 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I'll get to play mine tomorrow! It should be interesting. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I hope you enjoy your new Caspers Mark. Please let me know what you think. I'm very happy with the Alto G and I'm sure I'll like the 7 hole if I can get my mind wrapped around the new fingering. I keep reverting back to English cross fingering which doesn't work. lol

I asked Casper about the cost of the 7 hole for anybody who might be interested. It's $30 plus $15 for EMS shipping.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Is there a fingering chart included with the pendant? I'm curious how the fingering is.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
It didn't come with a fingering chart but Casper sent me one via FB. It doesn't really show the little subhole near the right index finger hole.

In the chart, the point of view is from the perspective of you holding the ocarina in playing position, so the bottom of the diagram is actually the top of the ocarina and the top of the picture is the bottom of the ocarina if that makes any sense. :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Casper_7_hole_fingering_chart.pdf (76.79 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 23 May 2013, 02:07 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

It looks like if you cover the left index hole with tape, it'll become the english pendant system. I'm not 100% with it though, so I could be wrong, lol.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
You could be right, Mark. Casper told me he designed it with the English system in mind. I just can't "see" it though. Maybe it's because I'm so wrapped up in the C scale fingering and Casper's chart starts off in G.

I don't know why I have such a mental block. I was able to pick up Songbird's 7 hole OOT with no problem.
Edited by pandorado100, 23 May 2013, 02:34 PM.

Jubal
Member Avatar

This ocarina sounds really great in the video provided.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I'll try it tomorrow and let you guys know if it is an English pendant when the left index is taped. :)
Edited by Mark Chan, 23 May 2013, 03:50 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Casper is an very good musician. I wish I had his skill at breath control and note shaping. My notes don't sound as melodious even when I play them in tune. There's some knack of smoothing out the sound that eludes me.

@ Mark

Be careful about using tape to block off that hole. I damaged the finish on my Focalink AC seedpod when I used tape to support it for a photo session. Try using Silly Putty or Play Doh instead. That's what I've started using when I take snapshots of my ocarinas. So far, it hasn't hurt the finish on any of my ocarinas. I have to work at learning how to hide it better when I shoot pictures though. lol
Edited by pandorado100, 23 May 2013, 03:58 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Haha yeah, I stripped the paint off my Sakura Wayta ocarinas when I used tape to hold them up for a photo. I'll have to get some putty. Thanks. :)

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Ouch! I would hate it if one of my babies was damaged! :(

casper ocarina
Member Avatar

Mark Chan
23 May 2013, 02:16 PM
It looks like if you cover the left index hole with tape, it'll become the english pendant system. I'm not 100% with it though, so I could be wrong, lol.
You are right Mark the left index finger is the last one open to have the highest note C, normal 6 holes ocarina SG without high C, that the purpose I make this 7 holes, many tunes need this note.

The left index finger also have a function which is while you play other high notes ,the index can help you hold the ocarina balance, like left pinkie with the 12 holes transverse. C:

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Cool! I knew it looked familiar. :)
I can't wait to try it out. I've got about 12 more hours before I can go home and finally play with my new ocarinas. :D

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
That was a helpful tip, Mark and Casper. I think what was holding me back was obsessing over the differences in tuning between my C pendants and this 7 hole in G.

I finally managed to knock out a song with reasonable speed and precision. I just followed my 6 hole tabs and paid no mind to the actual notes I was playing. I like this ocarina. It's a lot of fun to play. :)

Fly Me to the Moon on Casper 7 hole
Edited by pandorado100, 24 May 2013, 05:17 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Just played with my pendant, and it plays exactly the same as an English six hole pendant. The Pinky hole makes balancing the ocarina realy easy. Sounds really nice too. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mark, you and Casper have good advice but I think you are mixing up your finger terminology.

There is no left pinky hole. At least I don't see the need to use my pinky to cover the third hole on the left side. I just leave my left ring finger down for most of the ocarina's range and only lift it for the final note, the high C. :)

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: finger_names.jpg (19.77 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 25 May 2013, 01:03 AM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

ermmm... yeah, that's what I meant, lol. The ring finger. Or the finger that stays down, lol. I forgot I had 5 fingers, lol.

But the first time, I really did mean the index finger. I tried playing it that way, and totally failed. Then I kept the ring finger down similar to like you would on a transverse ocarina with the pinky, and then it clicked. After that I found myself playing the ocarina with ease. :D
Edited by Mark Chan, 25 May 2013, 01:08 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ