Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. ē
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bass Ocarinas
Topic Started: 22 Apr 2013, 10:16 PM (1,254 Views)
Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
Where words fail, music speaks!
I would like a really good deep sounding bass ocarina, one that plays in the bass clef range, E2 to A3
Are there any large 12 hole bass ocarinas like that on the market?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Turtlewalker
22 Apr 2013, 10:16 PM
I would like a really good deep sounding bass ocarina, one that plays in the bass clef range, E2 to A3
Are there any large 12 hole bass ocarinas like that on the market?
Take a look at RJ's pictures in the TON photo contest thread. He has a really nice looking Gosselink contrabass. If this is the one that he played in one of his videos he uploaded here, then it has a truly amazing sound.

lakilester5626
Member Avatar
Undecuple Ocarinist
The contrabasses I know of are:

Noble
Gosselink
Hans Rotter
Focalink
Colombo

(On a side note, Noble is the only manufacturer I know of that also makes a Contrabass G and a Subcontrabass C)

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Are any contrabasses made with 12 holes?

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I have a Casper 11 hole bass C ocarina that has a nice sound when Casper plays it but I'm still working on getting a good tone out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIckHRxy4os&feature=youtu.be

Bryce
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
lakilester5626
22 Apr 2013, 11:44 PM
(On a side note, Noble is the only manufacturer I know of that also makes a Contrabass G and a Subcontrabass C)
There's the big TNG ocarina... Isn't it a sub?
This One
Doesn't Colombo make a contra G, too? Or is that his bass CG that I'm thinking of?
Edited by Bryce, 23 Apr 2013, 12:15 AM.

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

I highly recommend anything made by Olivier Gosselink. I own eight of his ocarinas, and they are all excellent ocarinas. I am amazed at the high quality of each of his ocarinas. The bass and contrabass I have from him are amazingly easy to play. The bass has a subhole to play a b sharp, but doesn't have a hole to play a high f. The tone, volume and breath requirements are all wonderful. The contrabass is also wonderful and has excellent volume for playing so low. Of course it is very large, and so is heavy. I only play it for about 30 minutes at a time. I can play the bass all day long.
RJ

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Make music, not notes! >:(
That subcontrabass is TOO big! :D I would never want one of those or a contrabass, because it is not portable nor convenient to play.

lakilester5626
Member Avatar
Undecuple Ocarinist
I believe that TNG's is a sub contra, but I didn't include it since it isn't for sale. I see no Contrabass G on Colombo's website, but maybe it's a special order thing.

On a side note, does anyone know why the TNG sub contra needs tennis ball sized hole with keys, while Noble's only requires fingers? Does that mean that the Noble has a lower breath requirement?
Edited by lakilester5626, 23 Apr 2013, 03:32 AM.

Ace Ocarinas
I will NEVER return to TON.
There are the Totoro Ocarinas but they will not be for sale for a few weeks and they only have a range of C2-C3 roughly. They varey in key and tone depending on which one it is.

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Make music, not notes! >:(
Those things are SO cool looking! :D

TARDIStara
Member Avatar
Beginner
Just got the STL Zelda Plastic Bass and itís a blast!

Nowhere near as huge as your average ceramic contrabass, and feather light (thatís my main consideration here; I canít hold a brick to my face for an extended time).

It has a very nice tone. And makes a great ray gun to threaten your nephews.

Pew. Pew. :) I may even glue on a piece to make a trigger hole. It really does remind me of a Buck Gordon ray gun.
Edited by TARDIStara, 19 Jul 2018, 12:57 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter ē Facebook | Read the FAQ