Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What's in the mail?; What are you waiting for?
Topic Started: 14 Mar 2011, 11:34 PM (103,724 Views)
spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
The muse is supposed to be 'antiqued' a little, having the look of an old stone sculpture -- the glaze is a groggy cream rather than pure white, and where it pools it'll be darker. Each one will be a little different - darker or lighter, more or less speckled - depending on how the glaze flows, how much the pot was stirred, etc. That's just how it works and isn't a defect, or dirt :)
Edited by spoonyspork, 24 Aug 2017, 01:48 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Agreed with Spoonyspork, my muse has lots of little "imperfections" that I just think of as character marks. Think of it as visual texture to match the texture in the sound.

As for what's in the mail, I'm waiting on a set of four Rotter ocarinas. I chose the cheap international shipping, so it's going to take a long time to ship. It's been three weeks already and the tracking hasn't updated since Aug 7. :/

Fiver
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
Just to be clear, these are the kinds of marks I'm talking about: imgur link
If that kind of thing is normal then cool, although I'm still a bit disappointed haha. Looking aged is one thing, to me that just looks like something got stuck in the glaze.

EriChanHime
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
Since STL had a coupon again, I ordered my planned birthday presents to me a little early. I have coming the STL Destiny, for it's fascinating blend of 12-hole transverse fingering with a more inline shape, and the STL Labyrinth, because I love the Earth Tenor F I have from them and thought the Labyrinth looked similar in shape and form, but in a key I don't have yet. I'm super excited to get them and hopefully they will arrive safely.

Hope all my TONians are safe from the hurricane right now! It's a scary time to be in parts of Texas.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
I ordered (and received) my first and probably one of the rare ocarina I wanted based on appearance:

The Terracotta pig made by Rotter. The range is limited, but I'm not disappointed one bit because I find it has a great voice (especially so considering it's a pig).
Now, I need to expand my repertoire of tunes I like that fit on one octave and two semitones (the high G can be forced to reach a semitone higher), in G. Also, I really need to find a pig-themed tune.
Edited by Ocypode, 28 Aug 2017, 08:16 PM.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Ocypode
28 Aug 2017, 08:16 PM
I ordered (and received) my first and probably one of the rare ocarina I wanted based on appearance:

The Terracotta pig made by Rotter. The range is limited, but I'm not disappointed one bit because I find it has a great voice (especially so considering it's a pig).
Now, I need to expand my repertoire of tunes I like that fit on one octave and two semitones (the high G can be forced to reach a semitone higher), in G. Also, I really need to find a pig-themed tune.
I was going to suggest something from 'Charlotte's Web', but apparently all books with sheet music are out of print, and can't find anything digitally. :/

It seems pretty easy to play 'Mother Earth, Father Time' from it by ear though. Starts with E and goes only as low as the lowest G and high as F :)

Selvina
transverse Ocarinist
I don't have a problem with my muse looking antique,I just don't like her to be dirty (and there was some dirt that I could wipe away) .
After playing for a few days I also have some questions about her sound.I know,she is supposed to be very resonant,but there is some buzzing/hissing sound going on that reminds me of some little thing vibrating along.
Is that just my muse ?

Erulissė
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Got my 4-hole songstone yesterday, I wonder what I could play on it..

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
spoonyspork
28 Aug 2017, 11:17 PM
I was going to suggest something from 'Charlotte's Web', but apparently all books with sheet music are out of print, and can't find anything digitally. :/

It seems pretty easy to play 'Mother Earth, Father Time' from it by ear though. Starts with E and goes only as low as the lowest G and high as F :)
Did not know of "Charlotte's web".
Playing by ear... Well, that'll take some time :)
I'll keep it in mind though: the tune your suggested could be nice on an ocarina.

Erulissė
Inline Ocarinist x 2
It won't be that hard, you can do it! I transcribed a track from an old MMORPG that way :) still waiting for my double to be able to play it though...
Edited by Erulissė, 30 Aug 2017, 09:24 AM.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Not everyone is as gifted or trained :)
I know I'm not. But that's fine, I just started music with the ocarina, and if it wasn't a challenge sometimes it wouldn't be as rewarding.

Erulissė
Inline Ocarinist x 2
I think I've just managed to get a Stein AC from Ebay for 17.70 USD, including the shipping (from the USA to the Czech Rep - I wonder if it will even arrive whole, 7.20 USD seems way too little for shipping it half the planet away!). I either got ripped of big time or the seller had no idea what they're selling o.O

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Erulissė
29 Aug 2017, 10:32 AM
here is a little songbook for 4-hole Ocarina on Ebay http://www.ebay.de/itm/A-Selection-of-Music-For-The-Ocarina-/263139045067?hash=item3d444f2ecb:g:os0AAOSweNxZja~X
and Langley has books for 4 and 6 hole, you can search for ocarina music books on Ebay to find them

Selvina
transverse Ocarinist
I wonder about the songbird customer support,I contacted them because of the buzzing and I get no reply from them.I wrote 23rd of august and again 28th of august .I contacted them before about the missing case and got a reply after a couple of hours and this time I don't get any reply .How long do they normaly need to reply ?

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Erulissė
29 Aug 2017, 10:32 AM
Ruthie Bitton sells a couple of excellent 4 hole ocarina songbooks available from Amazon. Check here: https://www.amazon.com/101-Songs-Ocarina-Best-Songbooks/dp/B000QA16DO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504376195&sr=8-1&keywords=ruthie+bitton+ocarinas

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 100NewSongsforOcarina.jpg (14.81 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 2 Sep 2017, 07:18 PM.

Breakfast Oreos
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I have one of Rotter's Zfan ocarinas on the way!

Also, he has a sign-up list going on the TON Facebook page for those interested in getting one of the special edition Karin AC ocarinas. He said he will have more in December.

Erulissė
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Still waiting for my Luna Celta ocarinas, received my Langley and songstone meanwhile. It's taking way too long!

windsofskye
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Just received my triple in mail the other day. So far I'm loving it. It's an Imperial City Ocarina. I think Song Wei made did an excellent job when he crafted this one, and combined with spoonyspork finish and tuning I think it is pretty well suiting for me. I am still working on it's quirks and figuring out the chamber switching. This is my first ceramic instrument as well and it is quiet interesting seeing hearing and feeling the different from plastic ocarina (Night by noble) and a ceramic one.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 21458642_10207987780332889_1320444988_o_min.jpg (190.1 KB)
Edited by windsofskye, 18 Sep 2017, 02:28 AM.

mandrew
Member Avatar
Devout seeker of perfection
My new double with the new finish from Spencer is supposed to be done this coming Tuesday, so I will post a review and pics when I get it!

Soren
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
After patiently waiting for Kuolong Pan to craft me an ocarina, my double AC is in the mail and heading my way! I am excited to see for myself the quality of Takashi ocarinas.
(My profile picture at this time is the back view of my DAC. I like the shape and white clay with smoke firing quite a lot!)

Posted ImagePosted Image
Edited by Soren, 25 Oct 2017, 03:44 PM.

Ocarina Newbie!
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
I am currently waiting for 4 ocarina from Hans Rotter! Tired of this stl plastic, constantly needing to be blown out every line i play :)

I wanted to get a fairly long range of notes i could play, so i looked up piano frequencies, and, decided on these. Please tell me if i overlapped my notes a little much... Am beginner :)

I will be receiving a F1, a C1, a C3 Galliani!!!!(most excited to play this after seeing it in actoon:)) , and a G4

Any advice on where begin my journey from here on, is also appreciated. Thank You!

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I have a CODA in the mail.

It is one of a very few that didn't get ruined by the molder in the first run. I am crossing my fingers that I will get it before Christmas.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Harp Player
21 Dec 2017, 06:10 AM
I have a CODA in the mail.

It is one of a very few that didn't get ruined by the molder in the first run. I am crossing my fingers that I will get it before Christmas.
You inspired me to catch up on the discussion on that forum! I just put myself on the waiting list.

BlueNote
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
Focalink AC 12 came in the mail today, my first oc. I ordered it from Amazon and it came via Germany. (Ocarinamusic.de)

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I ordered a triple bass from ICO. I've never played a multichamber transverse, so I'm really excited. I'm hoping to get it before my birthday.

Ocarina Newbie!
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Concertocarina Es2

Concertocarina B3

Concertocarina D3

10-hole C3 F.Galliani with accessories + 10-hole G2 Ocarina Free "Top offer!

12-hole reveries with the Ocarina

1 piece 12 hole original compositions with CD

Manufacturer: ocarinamusic

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Sauna Bass 12 hole C

Ocarina Music “weird set” long 10 hole instruments

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
My ICO triple bass said it arrived in the closest city to me. I should have it early this week and I'm very excited to try a triple!

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I added a Fabio Menaglio C1 to this list too!

Sedi
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
At the moment I'm waiting for a Zelda plastic replica (the good one made by Focalink in collaboration with Songbird ocarinas), a Condor plastic AC, a Zin plastic soprano and a "Night Pla AC" -- it seems to be made by Noble but it's not the "Night by Noble" but a translucent plastic ocarina.
It's this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Ocarina-Plastic-Alto-C-Tone-Pla-Ocarina-AC-Blue-MADE-IN-JAPAN/152785501896?hash=item2392b9bec8:g:eH4AAOSwsBtaCSsN
I wonder how it will sound -- it looks a lot like these cheapo models:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/12-LOCH-OKARINA-PLASTIK-OCARINA-KINDER-FLOTE-ALTO-MUSIK-BLASINSTRUMENT-FLUTE/131409023070?hash=item1e9896905e:g:H6UAAOSwRQxaV8FP
I have one of those and the tuning is not really good but the sound in itself (were it not out of tune) is pretty nice -- so I hope the one I ordered will sound similar but be better tuned since it's from a reputed maker.
Edited by Sedi, 30 Jan 2018, 11:38 AM.

CFWhitman
Initiate
I am awaiting a Claudio Colombo bass G ocarina. It should arrive tomorrow. The range will work for some parts that go too low for my bass C and too high for my contrabass C.

Honeythorn
Member Avatar
Beginner
Currently waiting for the art of Ocarina volume 2 for double ocarina from STL. Sort of reluctant buy but in need of some structure for practicing efficiently. I'll post a review if there isn't one already!

Ocarina Newbie!
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
*edit it is useful to me playing alone. I wanted an ocarina with only 'white keys' in the natural scale...like on a piano. Aminor is the only key I know of that is just like cmajor with no sharps or flats!..I'm deranged lol :)

I'm waiting for something a couple people told me would be useless, in fact the manufacturer asked me before confirming order, quote 'you really want an ocarina in A minor???"

Yup. My b3 c3 d3 are all nice but I feel I can handle something slightly larger, but smaller than my '4' denoted 10 holes :)
Edited by Ocarina Newbie!, 5 Mar 2018, 04:44 PM.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Ocarina Newbie!
5 Mar 2018, 04:41 PM
*edit it is useful to me playing alone. I wanted an ocarina with only 'white keys' in the natural scale...like on a piano. Aminor is the only key I know of that is just like cmajor with no sharps or flats!..I'm deranged lol :)

I'm waiting for something a couple people told me would be useless, in fact the manufacturer asked me before confirming order, quote 'you really want an ocarina in A minor???"

Yup. My b3 c3 d3 are all nice but I feel I can handle something slightly larger, but smaller than my '4' denoted 10 holes :)
Ah-ha! So that was you :D -- Bill asked me a couple questions before emailing you back to make sure that's really what you wanted!

It's not useless at all! You can still get the sharps and flats if you want and can really think of it as having a C ocarina with a really strong A and B. You'll just have to find music that doesn't go over that high D. Did you end up going with 10 or 12 holes? :)

CFWhitman
Initiate
There is a song that I know how to play in A minor on a C major ocarina, Moondance. However, since its lowest note is an E, it would probably be more troublesome to play on an A minor ocarina than a C major one, though you still need a double C major ocarina to play it in that key. There must be some songs that would fit better, though, even if they actually use a major scale.

I am currently waiting for a set of custom tuned plastic recorders from Antique Sound Workshop. I have been experimenting with a cheap (but competent) soprano recorder here and there for quite some time, and it's gotten to the point where I want to see how much more serious I can get with them. I'm not ready to commit to the purchase and care of a good wooden recorder (not sure I'd ever be ready to spend the money for a bass or lower in wood), but a whole set of good plastic instruments from sopranino to bass for less than $550 dollars gives me the chance to explore the instrument to a much greater degree. If I regret it later, I can probably get some of my money back by selling them if I want to.
Edited by CFWhitman, 9 Mar 2018, 04:03 PM.

Ocarina Newbie!
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
spoonyspork
9 Mar 2018, 02:03 AM

Ocarina Newbie!
5 Mar 2018, 04:41 PM

Ah-ha! So that was you :D -- Bill asked me a couple questions before emailing you back to make sure that's really what you wanted!

It's not useless at all! You can still get the sharps and flats if you want and can really think of it as having a C ocarina with a really strong A and B. You'll just have to find music that doesn't go over that high D. Did you end up going with 10 or 12 holes? :)
I ended up getting a 10 hole hoping it will look like a sample picture I sent( Was Rotter C3 10hole Posted Image ) Either way if it is an A(3)minor I will be super excited :)

From childhood ideas about piano's, I originally psychopathically wanted an ocarina in every single key that only progressed on White piano keys on the natural scale(sounds so odd I know, I wanted something overly simple to understand)....Found out through a little music theory learning that this is not possible and that Aminor is probably the only other key than Cmajor that progresses only through the white keys...

Since I have no one to play with in person, I will probably end up playing all songs on it, rather it is the natural key for it or not. I do however have a friend on ton facebook that tells me he knows of violin music this would go naturally well with :)

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Waiting on a Just Intonation Natural Minor Zelda themed ocarina from these guys. Very excited to see what they can do!

Ocarina Newbie!
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Well, thats two ocarina companies I will never order from again. Lol.

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Why is that Newbie?

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
14 Mar 2011, 11:34 PM
Hey everyone, this topic is for , well, the title explains it. I am currently waiting on the Hylain Shield ocarina. I was able to afford it because of the discount code I got from Songbird. Really excited! :eager: :eager: :eager: Here is are some pics:
I can’t view your shield pictures for some reason :/

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
@Budoc: Not too surprising, you excavated a vintage post seven years of age :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter • Facebook | Read the FAQ