Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Tin Whistles - What brands to buy, materials, other advice?
Topic Started: 13 Jan 2013, 12:53 AM (22,685 Views)
Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

With some makers it may help identify when it was made, since they changed colours between different batches. For some makes, bare brass whistles (my preference) have red tops and nickel plated ones have blue tops. Apart from that there are no implications for quality.
Edited by Jack Campin, 15 Feb 2016, 07:06 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
Thanks for the explanation Jack. I was thinking it was a some complicated nomenclature or meaning for many colors on whistles mouth pieces.

acox
Andy Cox
Jack Campin
18 Jan 2013, 05:08 PM
It's easier to start with a good whistle and graduate to a crap one (like the Feadog). A player with a lot of experience will know how to make any whistle sound good.

The Freeman tweaked whistles are a good compromise. The Susato is reliable, but shrieking and unsubtle, particularly at the top end.
Ah yes, the Feadog tin whistle. "raw"? Yeah, but very nice....some of us like that "rawness" and still appreciate the sweetness the ocarina! I love my Feadog!

yordan
Member Avatar
total amateur
The only instrument I have thrown away in the bin, is a Generation D. Awful to say at least. I have read that Generation are one of the best IF you get a good specimen. I assume the worst of all landed to me. You can hear just the first 3 or 4 tones, the second octave you need to completely forget. I was reading of all possbile tweaks, in addition I have found out that burrs of metal remained inside the body from drilling the finger holes. After fixing them with fine file, I was able to play the first octave plus 3 tones of the second one. At the end I was so frustrated, that i throw it away, despite all improvements and effort I have invested in it.

acox
Andy Cox
yordan
15 Feb 2016, 09:36 PM
The only instrument I have thrown away in the bin, is a Generation D. Awful to say at least. I have read that Generation are one of the best IF you get a good specimen. I assume the worst of all landed to me. You can hear just the first 3 or 4 tones, the second octave you need to completely forget. I was reading of all possbile tweaks, in addition I have found out that burrs of metal remained inside the body from drilling the finger holes. After fixing them with fine file, I was able to play the first octave plus 3 tones of the second one. At the end I was so frustrated, that i throw it away, despite all improvements and effort I have invested in it.
i've only had to work on Cooper whistles, and I do love them too--cheap and raw! I have a couple of expensive ones, but then I ask why? what was the original intent, its sound, etc....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Instruments And Music · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ