Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
  • Pages:
TON's Got Talent!; TON's exciting "new" contest!
Topic Started: 28 Dec 2012, 05:31 AM (7,516 Views)
TheOcarinaNetwork
Member Avatar
TON Staff Account

Dear Citizens of TON! :monocle:

I would like to introduce to you TON's exciting new contest!
We are planning to hold it regularly.

Basically, it is a new TON "Video Challenge", which will be held every 3-4 months, with PRIZES!
The songs will be chosen by the judges based on suggestions made by everyone!
And simply entering the contest puts you in the draw to win prizes.

How it will work

1. Make suggestions of what song YOU would like to be chosen for the contest.
The TON's Got Talent judges team will then decide the song based on the suggestions made here.

2. The contest video will be launched, featured here on TON and other places.

3. Record a video or sound file (with a picture) and upload to Youtube as a video response to the video.
The deadline will be released once the contest video is up.

4. When the deadline comes, the winners will be chosen.
There will be prizes for best videos, as well as also prizes given at random.
So regardless of your skill level, feel free to enter as you will still be in the draw for a prize!

All prizes are subject to TON having enough funds.

Here is one prize that will be in the contest,

kissing's Songbird DragonTooth ocarina

More prizes to come as the judges continue to organise the contest!

What now?
Feel free to SUGGEST WHAT SONG you think should be featured in the contest.

Once we have chosen the song to be used for the contest, we will make the official contest video which will announce the deadline. We are contemplating that the deadline will be approximately 1 month from launching the contest.

TON Contest organisers: Stephen Bobchin, Elven Spellmaker, Suki and Kissing
Offline Profile Goto Top

UnicornWarrior
Member Avatar
A Lurker
Wow, so many contests lately. I like it. :D
There are too many songs to suggest just one.
Edited by UnicornWarrior, 28 Dec 2012, 05:42 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
I think a fairly challenging song to learn would be the opening theme to Trigun. It's been transcribed for flute; I learned it as part of my last con performance. I can email someone with the sheet music if anyone is interested. It's chromatic, jumps octaves and would require a fair amount of practice. It also requires a multichamber ocarina, works better on a triple if memory serves. A fair suggestion, I think...
Edited by SewedCodeMode, 28 Dec 2012, 05:39 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Oh this is a GREAT idea. Very cool! I'm definitely interested and I look forward to all the song suggestions made by our fellow members :)

And what a gorgeous prize! You're too kind, Sam! :thumbsup:

I do have a question, however, just to clarify the rules. It says that entries will be put into a "draw", but the winners will be 'decided'. So will it be a random draw or a decision made by the judges as to who the winners will be? Again, just clarifying! :)

Hmmm my goodness! So many songs that could be played...

I'm going to say Somewhere Over The Rainbow :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
I say we have someone with who does not mind being unable to enter the contest compose a song so that no one has the advantage of the song being something they can already play. It should also fit on a 10 hole (a pendant would be even better) so that there is as slim a chance as possible of someone not having the range to play a song.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
Yes keeping the tune within the range of a 10 hole or 4 hole would be most benifitial especially as it allows inclusion of those who may not be financially be able to have a multi chamber.
Offline Profile Goto Top

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

I think song suggestions should be for music that's a little more widely known - not all of us are gamers or anime fans. ;) And, (apologies if the contest organizers have already considered this) I think it's only fair if the contests are evenly balanced between songs that can only be played on a multichamber and songs that can fit a 12-hole range. Not everyone can afford/play a multichamber, so they wouldn't be able to participate if everything's geared toward that range.

That said, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. We've got a LOT of talented people on TON, and I'm excited to see the entries. :D

EDIT: Ninja'd. ;)

I like sbk's suggestion, as well, but do any of our resident composers have the time to come up with a unique, challenging song every few months?
Edited by angiessa, 28 Dec 2012, 05:56 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
It wouldn't necessarily need to be a song that would be something they would want published, just something that would enable everyone to show off their skills. Also it wouldn't have to be something composed specifically for the contest, it just couldn't already be available before it is announced as the song. I think that we have enough people here composing that a song is finished every few weeks.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Well if they went that route, don't forget that we need MIDIs or soundfiles provided with sheet music and tablatures as everyone has to learn it at their own pace and style..

I like the idea of letting our talented community composers come up with something challenging for all of us to take on, but I also think there's nothing wrong with choosing between songs we already know, eh? Jussayin'.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Ok im here to clarify a few questions (on my toilet break..tmi)

1. Prizes:
Think of it this way: There will be "major" prizes for people selected by judges for best video, and "minor" prizes selected at random (eg: drawing from a hat). However someone who has already won a major prize won't be in the draw for the minor prizes :)

Thus, both the skilled and the lucky are eligible to be awarded. Kinda got the idea from Cris' recent contest.

2. Songs: The judges will choose the song that they come to an agreememt as appropriate for the contest. However, our choice will be based on the suggestions made here.

Nothing rules out that the song may be quite challenging or have more than 1.5 octave range. We may choose to vary the kind of song contest to contest, for example, if we do a simple one octave song one contest, we may choose to do a multi-octave song the next.

Remember, just because a song has more notes than what can fit in a 1.5 octave range, it does not mean it can't be played on a single chamber. You can be quite flexible on a single chamber. Be as creative as you want, and remember you can even use multiple ocarinas in your recording as you see fit.

It is unanimous amongst the organisers of the contest that we do not want this contest to be comprised of beginner level songs like Twinkle twinkle or Whistlestop. We want it to show the world TON members' true talent in fun and challenging songs. For some, it may just be an opportunity to advance their skills!

And do not worry, when the contest is officially launched there will be ample time before the deadline.
Edited by kissing, 28 Dec 2012, 06:30 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Sweet peas! Thank you, Kissing :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cambell
Member Avatar
That guy

May I humbly suggest some of the music from les miserables? Also, the tunes in Jack Campin's 9-note tunebook are just awesome :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
angiessa
28 Dec 2012, 05:54 AM
I like sbk's suggestion, as well, but do any of our resident composers have the time to come up with a unique, challenging song every few months?
We have many original songs for ocarina in TON Songbook: http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7256695/4/
Newest version of the book is in #177 (James, could you edit it to post #1 and keep it updated there too for those who haven't been following that thread). Most of the stuff is also available as ABC and midi.

Personally, I would love to hear the TON Songbook songs performed. We have many good songs there and it would be nice if the infrastructure of this contest would help to promote the songbook so that our new compositions would get played. James is going to put a ABC version of the book available, so we should be able to get everything into midi too. I think it would be inspiring for the composers to see our pieces played, which in turn could help the book gather new compositions. I've posted a shameless plug for my own composition, Wandering Bear (some suitable instruments for playing it in key are 10-hole in C, 10-hole in F, 6-hole in C, 4-hole in F). Is the difficulty of my piece suitable for the contest? A Figure in the Fog by Spacefood is also a good piece for the contest. In any case, I suggest that the admins rummage the TON songbook and pick a suitable song from it for the contest.

Shameless plug for Wandering Bear
Offline Profile Goto Top

ZultanQ
Member Avatar
Polish Winged Hussar
The Twinrova theme!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
^ OOO! Good one! :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

Awesome news guys :thumbsup:

I might enter this one :) Sounds like it will be fun

I agree about keeping away from video game music - not everyone knows/enjoys game music

I cant think of any suggestions but maybe a fun yet challenging song will be best suited

And something that everyone knows like a top 100 (from any year, not necessarily current) would be better than a classical piece in my opinion
Offline Profile Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

I spy with my little eyes, a little goose browsing this thread ;) I assure that everyone is welcome to join this contest!
Some suggestions that I personally like so far!

Campbell

May I humbly suggest some of the music from les miserables?

That is a superb idea! Especially given the timing of the recent movie version release.
The first song that comes in mind is The Peoples' Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYizXBQ5EQA

I can totally see that happening with ocarinas!

Endalion

We have many original songs for ocarina in TON Songbook: http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7256695/4/
Newest version of the book is in #177 (James, could you edit it to post #1 and keep it updated there too for those who haven't been following that thread). Most of the stuff is also available as ABC and midi.

I'm such a great TON member that I didn't even know there was a TON songbook :facepalm:
That's another great idea, I will definitely be checking the songs there.

Also forgot to mention who the actual TON organisers are.

They are the TON admins (Elven Spellmaker, Stephen Bobchin, me) and our newest TON helper Suki (a big part of the contest was her idea!)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ace Ocarinas
I will NEVER return to TON.
Jack's Lamet from The Nightmare Before Christmas would be a awsome song to do. :eager:
and I think it only neeeds a double chamber ocarina.
Edited by Ace Ocarinas, 28 Dec 2012, 12:38 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Not every song is playable on a single ocarina, even with transposing. It would be a shame if some TON members couldn't enter the contest, because they can't afford a triple. I'm not only talking about myself, because I don't plan to enter this contest, at least not right now.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Gyzyn
28 Dec 2012, 01:25 PM
Not every song is playable on a single ocarina, even with transposing. It would be a shame if some TON members couldn't enter the contest, because they can't afford a triple. I'm not only talking about myself, because I don't plan to enter this contest, at least not right now.
I disagree. You just have to think outside the box a bit. You can play any song on a single ocarina. It just means you have to be a bit creative with how you play some of the notes, for example, you can play parts of the song in the lower octave.

It's actually quite a common practice for people who play other wind instruments with limited range, and I have seen performances that sound really good played in that way.

In fact, singers do it all the time!

And the judges will not give unfair bias to people who actually used a multichamber ocarina. If a single ocarina player can pull off a song with more zeal and creativity, extra credit will be given to them for their extra efforts and pushing their limits.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

The song has not been chosen yet - all I said is that there is no reason why a multi-octave song being chosen is impossible. I think it might be more likely we'll end up with a single ocarina song, but that depends on what suggestions continue to be made. So keep those suggestions coming people!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

I suggest Tambourin by Gossec! There are sheets here and it fits on a 10-hole's range. It is quite challenging, but not overly so.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Winged Messenger
Member Avatar
The player of everything but brass.
^^^ Good idea! Or, Castle on a Cloud, also from Les Mis. :D ...What about the Carnival of Venice? :jumpy:
Offline Profile Goto Top

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

Ooh, add another vote for Les Mis music! I'm going to the movie tonight, so I'm excited. :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jem21797
Member Avatar
Euphonium Enthusiast Extraordinare
Ooh, maybe Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson. :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Winged Messenger
Member Avatar
The player of everything but brass.
While we're on the topic of Mr.Anderson... Irish Suite, anyone? :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
kissing
28 Dec 2012, 02:58 PM
Gyzyn
I disagree. You just have to think outside the box a bit. You can play any song on a single ocarina. It just means you have to be a bit creative with how you play some of the notes, for example, you can play parts of the song in the lower octave.

It's actually quite a common practice for people who play other wind instruments with limited range, and I have seen performances that sound really good played in that way.

In fact, singers do it all the time!

And the judges will not give unfair bias to people who actually used a multichamber ocarina. If a single ocarina player can pull off a song with more zeal and creativity, extra credit will be given to them for their extra efforts and pushing their limits.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

The song has not been chosen yet - all I said is that there is no reason why a multi-octave song being chosen is impossible. I think it might be more likely we'll end up with a single ocarina song, but that depends on what suggestions continue to be made. So keep those suggestions coming people!
I know about transposing an octave and used it, but still there are songs that would require so much jumping in octaves, that the melody just doesn't sound right. I just have a request for multichamber ocarinist to remember about us "singles", and don't choose something with crazy jumps all over the quad range.
Edited by Gyzyn, 28 Dec 2012, 05:07 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

I personally am throwing my vote for

Edited by Stephen Bobchin, 28 Dec 2012, 05:40 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Princess Mononoke!..... 'Nuf said. :shame: It's just such a nice song to play.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ace Ocarinas
Gyzyn
They did say they would change the songs with each contest going back and forth from multi-sing songs and if someone is looking to buy a cheap triple STL has a realy nice plastic one for around $58.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ocarinas on wheels
Member Avatar
pendant/transverse Ocarinist
brothers from FMA fits the criteria, and when done right, can envoke a large range of emotional responses.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Yes, I would love to hear brothers from FMA.
Offline Profile Goto Top

fermataheart
Member Avatar
"High and Mighty"
Can we use other instruments in conjunction with the ocarina?
kissing
28 Dec 2012, 11:43 AM
Campbell

May I humbly suggest some of the music from les miserables?

That is a superb idea! Especially given the timing of the recent movie version release.
The first song that comes in mind is The Peoples' Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYizXBQ5EQA

I can totally see that happening with ocarinas!

And I vote this as well.
Edited by fermataheart, 28 Dec 2012, 07:41 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

This is awesome! Great idea, and congrats to Suki!!

I think music from Le Mis is a great idea too.
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 28 Dec 2012, 08:57 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
I like the Les Mis idea :D Changing my vote! :rofl:
Offline Profile Goto Top

hearmeroar2
Member Avatar
Nerd
I'm okay with Les Mis too! But I would personally love to have a reason to play a song by Lady Antebellum
Offline Profile Goto Top

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

How about a general Les Mis contest where you can pick any song from the soundtrack? That way we wont have 20 people playing the same song and we can accommodate to single/double range
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
That's a good idea :) There are so many good songs from Les Mis, it would be tough to pick just one. Unless we want to stick to just one that can be played on a 10 - 12 hole. I'd like to echo Kissing's enthusiasm for creativity, however!
Of course not evey member has made a suggestion yet, so let's keep this as open as possible :D
Edited by Jill theredhedgehog, 29 Dec 2012, 04:40 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

i would like to see something that no one has performed on YouTube, Like Professor Layton's theme, but I think that maybe too challenging of a song for a lot of people, so I'm going with the Animal Crossing theme
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kibbler
Member Avatar
Sick and tired
I seem to be the only person that does not like Les Mis music... Probably because I used to hear it about five hours a day (-.- ; )
Offline Profile Goto Top

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Kibbler
29 Dec 2012, 05:54 AM
I seem to be the only person that does not like Les Mis music... Probably because I used to hear it about five hours a day (-.- ; )
I'm not a fan either
Offline Profile Goto Top

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
KypSyd
29 Dec 2012, 04:33 AM
How about a general Les Mis contest where you can pick any song from the soundtrack? That way we wont have 20 people playing the same song and we can accommodate to single/double range
If you want to take that kind of multi-song route, why limit it to Les Miserables and not include stuff from other musicals, operas and such? I personally don't remember much about what kind of music Les Miserables had as I don't recall ever watching the piece.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Endalion
29 Dec 2012, 06:29 AM
KypSyd
29 Dec 2012, 04:33 AM
If you want to take that kind of multi-song route, why limit it to Les Miserables and not include stuff from other musicals, operas and such? I personally don't remember much about what kind of music Les Miserables had as I don't recall ever watching the piece.
Then make a suggestion! :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

Well I guess it needs some sort of theme :shrug:

I dont know, it was just an idea...

I mean you cant have it open to any song you like otherwise its not much of a contest or theme :shrug:

But at the same time, contests where 20 people submit the same song become indistinguishable after the third time you listen to a song
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
... How about The Wizard of Oz soundtrack? :rofl: So many fun, challenging songs in that film :) Just thinking out loud of course-- I still like Les Mis :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ace Ocarinas
Gyzyn
28 Dec 2012, 06:38 PM
Yes, I would love to hear brothers from FMA.
Oh That is my 2nd choice now.
grimat
29 Dec 2012, 04:45 AM
i would like to see something that no one has performed on YouTube, Like Professor Layton's theme, but I think that maybe too challenging of a song for a lot of people, so I'm going with the Animal Crossing theme
I have been looking for sheet music to that song.
Edited by Ace Ocarinas, 29 Dec 2012, 02:20 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Locked Topic
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ