Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ocarina Patents; A History
Topic Started: 20 Dec 2012, 08:58 AM (3,170 Views)
OcSteve
Member Avatar
A Plentiful Player of Pendants
One doesn't tend to think about patents often when it comes to ocarinas, but a brief flash of curiosity for me turned into a rather long trip down the rabbit hole of ocarina patents. Here is a summary of my findings for everyone's delight (or dismay).

Dates given are grant dates.

Henry Feihn and Edward Witte (thanks Wollemi Pine)
1878 - "Improvements in the manufacture of musical instruments called 'Ocarina,', and in machinery connected therewith." -

Frederick D. Smenner
1914 - "Pitch Regulating Device for Ocarina" - 1,106,249 - A tuning slider.

Harry Bernard
1931 - "Wind Instrument" - 1,788,613 - A stamped metal ocarina with some keys that can change pitch sharp or flat and a depiction of a music staff over each tone hole that indicates which note it is.

Ziegner Swanson
1938 - "Design for a Musical Instrument Similar to an Ocarina" - D112623 - Pretty much an inline ocarina. Who knew that was patented at one time? :grin:
1940 - "Musical Instrument for Playing Bugle Calls" - 2,209,427 - A 3-hole inline ocarina with a funnel on the end of it to look like a bugle. Whaa?

George A. Mausolf
1939 - "Ocarina" - 2,145,605 - General improvements for molded ocarinas made of plastic.
1940 - "Ocarina" - 2,195,992 - More general improvements for molded ocarinas made of plastic.

Paul St. Graber
1940 - "Pitch Regulator for Musical Instruments" - 2,214,553 - A valve like a heat vent on an old wood burning stove to regulate pitch and tuning.

John S. Sumner
1940 - "Musical Instrument" - 2,194,332 - A layered wooden ocarina manufacturing technique as well as a double-fipple system that allows the bottom thumb holes to be played in harmony rather than in giving two higher notes.

William W. Gretsch
1949 - "Ocarina" - 2,460,931 - An ocarina molded from two halves where the airway and fipple are all embedded in the same half.

Bernard G. Ladd
1949 - "Musical Wind Instrument" - 2,485,749 - A multi-chamber whistle-ocarina hybrid.

Traugott Rohner
1949 - "Wind Instrument" - 2,478,323 - Another inline ocarina that has a hole very close to the fipple that can flatten all notes as well as a tuning slider.

Winfleld S. Frazeur
1949 - "Design For a Musical Instrument" - D153274 - It's a fish.

(The great dearth of ocarina patents that lasts ~30 years. These were quiet times for the ocarina.)

Daniel Seidenberg - Imag-Verlags Ag Fur Immaterialguterrecht
1983 - "Gefassflote "- EP0079349 A1 - A lens-shaped ocarina.

Ryo Kanamori
1990 - "Ocarina" - D306454 - It's a duckie.

John Charles Hind and Ilania H. Fowler
1990 - "Petatonic Ocarina" - 4,893,541 - Three-hole petatonic fingering.

John C. Stavash
1994 - "Woodwind Musical Instrument" - 5,309,806 - It's the Flutophone!

Richard L. Druze
1998 - "Heart Shaped Musical Instrument" - D389855 - 7-hole heart-shaped wooden ocarina.

Chih-Wen Liao
2001 - "Vessel-shaped Flute With a Captive Cap" - 6,255,570 - Looks like a hockey-puck 4-hole ocarina with a built in lid.

Karl P. Ahrens - Mountain Ocarinas
2002 - "Fipple Flutes Having Improved Airways" - 6,348,647 - The first Mountain Ocarina patent.
2005 - "Ocarinas With an Inner and an Outer Shell" - 6,872,876 - The second Mountain Ocarina patent.
2005 - "Flutes with multiple chambers that share compound bisected toneholes" - 6914179 - Bisected tone holes. Neat! Has he used this yet?

Lee, Il Yong - Sacdong Co. Ltd.
2009 - "Ocarina" - US20070157792 - For a unique set of 12-hole fingering.

David Paul Chamberlain
2010 - "Fipple flute made active by a brass instrument mouthpiece" - 7,772,472 - A brass-instrument mouth piece strapped onto an ocarina.

Norman Spencer Register
2010 - "Ocarina" - 7,799,980 - Spencer's "famous" design, adding baffles between the fipple and the thumb holes.

Jordan Reder Dietrich - STL Ocarina
2010 - "Methods of constructing and tuning ocarinas" - 7,816,595 - A *very* broad patent for all of the "Max Range" ocarinas that STL sells.

Spencer Salazar, Ge Wang, and Perry Cook - Smule Inc.
2012 - "System and method for capture and rendering of performance on synthetic musical instrument" - 8,222,507 - Smule's Ocarina app's visualization and sharing functionality.

John Charles Hind and Eugene G. Jameson (Hind again!)
2012 - "Ocarina Kit" - US 8258388 B2 - This is the neatest thing and Hind has an assembly tutorial on YouTube.

And that's about it.

If any of you are looking to patent your ocarina designs, peruse this list first. It may come in handy.
Edited by OcSteve, 20 Dec 2012, 09:34 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Fiehn and Mezzetti had patents in the late 1800's. Here's a link to what I found out on the Fiehn patents.

Fiehn Patents

Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
Patent protection only lasts 20 years so anything before 92 has no protection at this point.

Also there is a Patent Pending for STL's Newest Chameleon Ocarina and its new design and innovation on the tuning slider.
and design Patents only last 14 years.

Patents are not renewable and are part of the public domain after protection expires
One more thing time frame for protection is counted the moment a patent application is submitted not when its granted.
Edited by Fred, 20 Dec 2012, 09:25 AM.

OcSteve
Member Avatar
@Wollemi - Thanks for that. Google Patents only goes back so far apparently. Lemmie see about finding more info and adding those in... :grin:

@fm12692 - Aye I only listed granted patents. That one would be an important one not to miss now that I think about it. Let's see... :grin:

@fm12692 - If it were not 3:30 AM local time I would have marked them by which ones are currently active. Alas. I am currently bleary-eyed. :sleep: Also, I cannot seem to find the application for the Chameleon Ocarina. I'm not sure it's been published yet, just applied for.
Edited by OcSteve, 20 Dec 2012, 09:43 AM.

Fred
Member Avatar
it will eventually come up it is in its patent pending phase :}

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

fm12692
20 Dec 2012, 09:22 AM
Patent protection only lasts 20 years so anything before 92 has no protection at this point.
Is that for United States patents or includes international patents, too?

Fred
Member Avatar
Wollemi Pine
20 Dec 2012, 03:52 PM
fm12692
20 Dec 2012, 09:22 AM
Is that for United States patents or includes international patents, too?
Hard to sAy there is such a thing but only countries that are in alliance with us accept and respect our patent laws same goes for trademarks.

OcSteve
Member Avatar
Aye it's a wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey mess, but I'll eventually sit down and do all of the relevant flowcharting and math.

Fred
Member Avatar
OcSteve I'm intrigued by your avatar what is it exactly :) sry for going off topic.

Im actually very glad you posted this its quite wonderful to see all the improvements but I keep wondering if patents are hindering the possible improvements that could be done on the ocarina. Who knows :)
Edited by Fred, 20 Dec 2012, 05:32 PM.

melodican
Member Avatar
Behold! 'Tis the flute of my people!

I'm glad the companies I like have been tasteful about their patents. It would be very tempting to patent some tiny, almost insignificant change in order to increase one's hold on what can be done with the product. Let's hope that people keep that temptation in check!

Bunjiro

This is very nice, and I like it, a lot!

I have an ongoing (but currently resting) investigation into Japanese ocarina patents. You wouldn't happen to know if they are shared with the US? I only see one Japanese person in your list, and I'm guessing that's a US patent.

Also, how did you find these? Is the word "ocarina" in their description?

Love the data, keep it coming! :)

OcSteve
Member Avatar
fm12692
20 Dec 2012, 05:31 PM
OcSteve I'm intrigued by your avatar what is it exactly :) sry for going off topic.

Im actually very glad you posted this its quite wonderful to see all the improvements but I keep wondering if patents are hindering the possible improvements that could be done on the ocarina. Who knows :)
Hehe, my avatar is actually one of the products that came about from one of the patents up there. 10 points if you can figure it out. I was going to take a more traditional avatar picture, but when I turned on my webcam on, the photobooth program locked onto it and thought it was a face. So, on went the soft focus filter and the rest is there, "staring" at you. :D

IMHO, patents can both hinder and help, usually in equal quantities from what I've seen. I have a few ideas for some ocarina designs that I would love to work on, but I've had to alter my designs a bit and solve problems from a different angle when I read some of the more recent ones.

At the same time, ~50% of patents suits taken to court result in the patent being thrown out for being too vague or actually being something not patentable, etc., so it's a crapshoot if they're even relevant many times. There is nothing new under the sun and all work is derivative.
melodican
20 Dec 2012, 06:04 PM
I'm glad the companies I like have been tasteful about their patents. It would be very tempting to patent some tiny, almost insignificant change in order to increase one's hold on what can be done with the product. Let's hope that people keep that temptation in check!
Aye I'm glad that ocarinas are a small enough market, mostly made of individual artisans. That way, large manufacturers don't take much notice and their large lawyers follow suit.
Bunjiro
20 Dec 2012, 08:20 PM

I have an ongoing (but currently resting) investigation into Japanese ocarina patents. You wouldn't happen to know if they are shared with the US? I only see one Japanese person in your list, and I'm guessing that's a US patent.

My initial pass was done using Google Patent Search, and it lists international patents filed in the US. I'd have to dig more for Japanese patents. Let's see...
Edited by OcSteve, 20 Dec 2012, 08:40 PM.

Fred
Member Avatar
Is it the max range pendant? :o I would imagine under a black light the green would look similar :)
Bunjiro
20 Dec 2012, 08:20 PM

The US I think aknowledges any countries patents on which we have a alliance with similar to copywrite law.
Edited by Fred, 20 Dec 2012, 09:13 PM.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
fm12692
20 Dec 2012, 05:31 PM
OcSteve
20 Dec 2012, 08:58 AM
Jordan Reder Dietrich - STL Ocarina
2010 - "Methods of constructing and tuning ocarinas" - 7,816,595 - A *very* broad patent for all of the "Max Range" ocarinas that STL sells.
It's the Max Range Double Pendant...
--
I thought MapAram had a patent also?
Edited by TheZ, 20 Dec 2012, 10:22 PM.

geotjakra
Member Avatar
EpiCai Ocarina Maker
Interesting read, thanks for researching all this.

your avatar, looks like it's glazed with a glow in the dark fluorescent glaze.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

The Mathieu ocarinas were "marque depose brevete SGDG" so there must have been some place they were deposited. Maybe one of our French members can work out the system?

Surely the WW2 soldiers' Gretsch ocarinas were protected somehow? Or is that Mausolf? I thought they were older than that.
Edited by Jack Campin, 21 Dec 2012, 03:25 AM.

OcSteve
Member Avatar
TheZ
20 Dec 2012, 10:20 PM
That's the one. :D The Max Range Double Pendant, not just the Max Range Pendant (although I have one of those too).
geotjakra
21 Dec 2012, 02:45 AM
Interesting read, thanks for researching all this.

your avatar, looks like it's glazed with a glow in the dark fluorescent glaze.
No problem. :grin:

It's just the "soft focus" filter on photobooth or whatever it's called. Ups the contrast, blurs the lighter colors, and super-saturates the rest.
TheZ
20 Dec 2012, 10:20 PM
I thought MapAram had a patent also?
If they do I don't think it's in the Google database.
Edited by OcSteve, 21 Dec 2012, 03:25 AM.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
I couldn't find MapAram in any of my searches, either.
--
Are we sure that Mountain Ocarina's 3rd patent was approved, be cause my source say it is only an application.

OcSteve
Member Avatar
TheZ
21 Dec 2012, 03:35 AM
Are we sure that Mountain Ocarina's 3rd patent was approved, be cause my source say it is only an application.
It was listed as granted on July 5, 2009 in the database.
Jack Campin
21 Dec 2012, 02:56 AM
The Mathieu ocarinas were "marque depose brevete SGDG" so there must have been some place they were deposited. Maybe one of our French members can work out the system?

Surely the WW2 soldiers' Gretsch ocarinas were protected somehow? Or is that Mausolf? I thought they were older than that.
Yeah the French patent office is trop ridicule to sort through and in places very broken. I'm going to see if I can find another service that has that database indexed and go from there.

And aye so far nothing on Gretsch, but I'm still looking.
Edited by OcSteve, 21 Dec 2012, 03:52 AM.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Maparam has a patent, but it doesn't reveal anything... at least, not in the parts I can read XD

(I searched the Korean patents one day when I was annoyed by *someone* teasing us about having innard pictures and figured that was one way he might have had them, lol)

http://patent2.kipris.or.kr/pateng/biblioa.do?method=biblioFrame <--- donno if that'll work properly, but if you search that site for '오카리나' it's on the first page of results

Kibbler
Member Avatar
Sick and tired
OcSteve
20 Dec 2012, 08:58 AM
2005 - "Flutes with multiple chambers that share compound bisected toneholes" - 6914179 - Bisected tone holes. Neat! Has he used this yet?
this sexy thing?
patent

He's still working on it. As you can probably see, you switch chambers to go up an octave, but keep your fingers in the same place. It's downright brilliant.

As for availability... I'm not sure... Someone should go check their forums. I'm too lazy. But I heard that there won't be a poly one... Makes me sad D:

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

spoonyspork
21 Dec 2012, 06:09 AM
Maparam has a patent, but it doesn't reveal anything... at least, not in the parts I can read XD

(I searched the Korean patents one day when I was annoyed by *someone* teasing us about having innard pictures and figured that was one way he might have had them, lol)

http://patent2.kipris.or.kr/pateng/biblioa.do?method=biblioFrame <--- donno if that'll work properly, but if you search that site for '오카리나' it's on the first page of results
if it makes you feel better, I no longer really have access to the pictures due to my macbook's logic board dying

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I have an English double whistle from about 1820 that uses double split holes like those in the MO patent. The two bodies are a third apart - there's a lot of angled drilling.

OcSteve
Member Avatar
spoonyspork
21 Dec 2012, 06:09 AM

Lol that link is borked for me. Javascript popup in horrid English that automatically closes the tab. >:3

Managed to get into it, though... There's a *lot* to sort through... And it's all in Korean (er.. obviously; and I don't read Korean). :B
Kibbler
21 Dec 2012, 06:25 AM
He's still working on it. As you can probably see, you switch chambers to go up an octave, but keep your fingers in the same place. It's downright brilliant.

As for availability... I'm not sure... Someone should go check their forums. I'm too lazy. But I heard that there won't be a poly one... Makes me sad D:
Might not hurt to email him directly with an inquiry. When I have some time I might send one off.
Stephen Bobchin
21 Dec 2012, 07:15 AM
if it makes you feel better, I no longer really have access to the pictures due to my macbook's logic board dying
Dead logic board? That *sucks*... :(
Jack Campin
21 Dec 2012, 03:38 PM
I have an English double whistle from about 1820 that uses double split holes like those in the MO patent. The two bodies are a third apart - there's a lot of angled drilling.
You wouldn't happen to have some pictures of it you could post? I'd be curious to examine the similarity.
Edited by OcSteve, 21 Dec 2012, 10:02 PM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

No I don't have any pictures handy. It's designed to play both bores at once, in parallel thirds. The voicings are offset so the higher one starts further away from the mouth, which reduces the amount of hole angle required, and the higher part has a tuning hole at the bottom. Effectively the lower bore is in C and the higher one in E (phrygian). I haven't yet got it completely working - the fipples were rotted, one quite badly, so I've been slowly building up new ones with layers of superglue.

It's much easier to do that with an ocarina since it doesn't matter as much where the holes are.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

The 1878 patent by Fiehn was registered in England. He also registered some kind of ocarina patent in France in 1877, but for what exactly, I'm not sure.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
You should probably list which country each patent is in.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Mezzetti also had a patent on the tuning slide. Here's a photo from The Mezzetti Ocarina Tutor.

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: mezzetti_patent.jpg (72.15 KB)
Edited by Wollemi Pine, 31 Dec 2012, 06:07 AM.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

"The Ocarina Septet" mentioned that Alberto Mezzetti had patented several types of ocarinas, including the double octave ocarina in July 1885, and the tuning slide in 1891 (Patent #1882).

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Wollemi Pine
14 Jan 2013, 05:05 PM
"The Ocarina Septet" mentioned that Alberto Mezzetti had patented several types of ocarinas, including the double octave ocarina in July 1885, and the tuning slide in 1891 (Patent #1882).
I just purchased this ebook! I love it! It is written nicely and is chocked full of information.

Rughead
Member Avatar
cheap cracked plastic pendant Ocarinist x 3
I just noticed the patent that seems to apply to the STL double max range pendant states under 'fee' that it is 'lapsed'. Which means the patent is no longer valid. So, I guess there is nothing I know of that would prevent others from making the extended range pendants. Is there another patent on the max range pendant that I am not aware of?

Curtis

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Where did you find that?

Patents normally last 17 years (I think it's the same in the US). Surely they didn't invent it that long ago?

Edit: scrub that, I see where you got it. What I don't understand is what it means for a patent's fee status to lapse. You don't have to pay a fee to keep them valid, surely?
Edited by Jack Campin, 4 Mar 2015, 12:12 PM.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Karl Ahren's third patent is, I believe, the patent for the technology on which soon to be released ProRange MO is based ("bisected tone holes"). It won't be called the ProRange apparently, but the patent describes what we know about it as I understand it. I have been in that line for a long time, and per Ubizmo, the prototype is amazing and they are getting close to production.

Rughead
Member Avatar
cheap cracked plastic pendant Ocarinist x 3
Jack, I actually looked it up on Google, and here is the URL I came up with:

https://www.google.com/patents/US7816595?hl=en&output=html_text

I have a friend who knows a bit about patents. He told me you have to pay a renewal fee every 3 or 3.5 years. If you don't, he said they mark the 'fee' section as 'lapsed', which means that the patent is no longer valid.

Curtis

Update!! The Google page seems to be outdated regarding the max range ocarinas.

I just got off the phone with Jordan Reder Dietrich, the owner of the max range patent. Jordan told me it is still active, which the 'official' USPTO government site confirms, and that it covers ALL of the max range models. In regards to the pendants, the patent covers the enlarged thumb hole, and not the tone holes at the bottom of the pendant. I guess the extra tone holes had already been thought up.

Well, it took A LOT of research, but I think I finally got it right. :)

Oh, and Jack, you do have to pay a fee to keep your US patent active every 4 years. I called the US Patent Office to get the real answer to that question. You usually pay to renew after 3 years. If you wait until after 3.5 years they add a surcharge. At 4 years it expires if no fee is paid. Then you have to file a petition to try and renew the patent.

Curtis

Edited by Rughead, 5 Mar 2015, 07:15 PM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Yikes - you're absolutely right, and it's the same in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/renew-patent

You'd better be profiting from the patent to afford that.

ER78A
Member Avatar
Beginner
I'm trying to research ocarina development for grins, and this is very helpful in my studies. Thank you very much!

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Paolo Gavelli's electric AC double ocarina international patent 2015
https://youtu.be/GabZovqHJ3M

Esn
Beginner
A search turns up some recent Chinese patents, but it's a bit hard to understand them since the diagrams seem to not be online:

Hand flute (2015)
https://www.google.com/patents/CN204706331U?cl=en&dq=ocarina&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiA9e7dtf3PAhWm6IMKHeqTCuoQ6AEIIzAB
-this seems to be a patent for some sort of built version of the "hand ocarina" (you know, where you make an "ocarina" by cupping your hands together, and blowing in between your thumbs). "no fixed scale, wide range, lots of fun."

Ocarina (2015)
https://www.google.com/patents/CN204155599U?cl=en&dq=ocarina&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiA9e7dtf3PAhWm6IMKHeqTCuoQ6AEIWDAI
"A wedge-shaped air channel is formed from the edge of the air blowing port to the direction of the sounding hole, so that the flow speed of air is improved; in addition, the air blowing port is formed from one end edge of the blowing nozzle part towards the other end of the blowing nozzle part in an inclined and open manner, and the port diameter of the air blowing port can be maximized under the architecture of the blowing nozzle part with a fixed size, so that the increase of air input is facilitated, and the expansion of the range and the volume of the ocarina is greatly facilitated."
-Does this tread on the ground of the 2002 Mountain Ocarinas patent? Without diagrams, hard to tell...

There are a few others as well (again, with diagrams not included). It seems that most of the recent ocarina patents have come from China.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
That's interesting. I didn't know that so many different styles of ocarinas have been around for that long. I like looking at how some of the various designs allow for different features such as pitch correction and tuning, that most new ocarinas don't feature.

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Thanks OP, that's some very interesting information!

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
I think there is also a patent in the 40's for 12 holes ocarina by the founder of Aketa, if I am not mistaken.

DerBlocki
Pendant Ocarinist
Cool!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Making · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ