Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Sound Cloud performances; Post your audio-only recordings here
Topic Started: 17 Dec 2012, 08:18 PM (18,926 Views)
Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Here is my first recording playing Native American flute. Multitracked with my guitar in our fifth wheel here in Casa Grande, AZ. I bought a lttile High Spirits Whitetail Hawk in B at the Casa Grand Ruins National Monument bookstore a couple of days ago. This is played in E major. I like it!

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Pat Anderson, 22 Feb 2015, 11:42 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I was stuck inside because of the snow, so I decided to do something productive; and record something. It was less than a week ago since I first heard this song, so I only spent a few hours messing around with playing it on the ocarina. Hopefully it'll become more polished as I play it more. It's been a while since I've played pop music.

Attakaindakaraa - Kumamushi Cover
Quote:

Kumamushi's "Attakaindakaraa" on Focalink S-series AG Ocarina. There were several key changes in this song, which made fingering a bit difficult. I opted to use an alternate fingering for Bb at the cost of intonation. Without lyrics, the melody is kind of boring; so I will work on adding some embellishment later to make it more interesting.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Hey Pat, those flutes have a little something near the voicing that lets you adjust the aperture size for intonation, right? Or does that only affect the playing volume? The flute was playing a little sharp of the guitar.

And mark, I love the tone on the high notes of that ocarina! It stays together so well. Most AG's fray apart up in that range.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Bateleur
22 Feb 2015, 07:06 PM
And mark, I love the tone on the high notes of that ocarina! It stays together so well. Most AG's fray apart up in that range.
The Takashi 5G is also really good (probably the best I have). I was originally recording with it, but then I switched to the higher breath Focalink because my intonation is much better on it.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Bateleur
22 Feb 2015, 07:06 PM
Hey Pat, those flutes have a little something near the voicing that lets you adjust the aperture size for intonation, right? Or does that only affect the playing volume? The flute was playing a little sharp of the guitar.

I must have a tin ear of something, because I have listened dozens of times and the flute does not sound the least bit sharp to me...

[On edit: I played this for a music teacher who is here in the RV park in Casa Grande, and he noted I had a little latency issue in the recording, which I fixed on the spot with time shift function. He also thought that if the flute was sharp at all, it was nearly imperceptible. But I was fixing the timing, I also used Audacity to decrease the pitch of the flute track by 2%. See if this did the trick. I think it sounds better.]
Edited by Pat Anderson, 23 Feb 2015, 12:30 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Nice job on your sound recordings, Pat and Mark. I enjoyed listening to them. :)

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
pandorado100
23 Feb 2015, 01:20 AM
Nice job on your sound recordings, Pat and Mark. I enjoyed listening to them. :)
Thanks, Jeanne...sometimes I think I must be invisible! I just do the best I can and keep on keepin' on!

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

pandorado100
Thank you! :)

Pat Anderson
23 Feb 2015, 05:11 AM
sometimes I think I must be invisible! I just do the best I can and keep on keepin' on!
Pat, we should make a new song. :D

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Mark Chan
23 Feb 2015, 05:45 AM
Pat, we should make a new song. :D

Mark, yes we should! The hard part is, what song? I have my guitar, NbN, NAF and baritone uke here. Do you have something in mind?

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Come up with several G minor progressions and let's see what happens. :)

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Mark Chan
23 Feb 2015, 03:44 PM
Come up with several G minor progressions and let's see what happens. :)
OK, I'll try to give that a shot tomorrow! Headed to Surprise to visit friends today.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Pat Anderson
23 Feb 2015, 05:11 AM
pandorado100
Thanks, Jeanne...sometimes I think I must be invisible! I just do the best I can and keep on keepin' on!
I think the problem is not your performances, Pat. It's your material. Most of the ocarina demographic around here tends to track young. They are not going to be interested in hearing a 40 year old song by Anne Murray no matter how expertly you play it. If you want to reach them, you've got to update your music. Maybe if you added Katy Perry or Bruno Mars to your repertoire? It's too much to think of you playing something from Full Metal Alchemist. :grin:

There are some young TONians who have an appreciation for older music. Jillian for instance is a huge Beatles fan. Maybe you could try playing something by them. I always love playing Yesterday on my ocarina.

I think it would be great for you and Mark to do another collab. I loved your last one on guitar and NAF.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
I looked at this earlier and passed on a response! The problem is, video games leave me cold. I absolutely care nothing about Zelda or Final Fantasy or any other game or game music. I care nothing about LOTR music. I care nothing about anime. I like what I like, which is, as you say, 40 year old pop and also Irish and Scottish traditional music, and a lot more. To me, Si Beag Si Mhor is about the most perfect melody every written. So that is what I play, so be it, I guess. I do like the Beatles though, so maybe there is some hope there...

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Of course you have to play what pleases you, Pat. That is most important. It's your insistance on getting a response from the other people here that is a bit unrealistic. If you want comments from the peanut gallery, then you need to give them something they'll actually want to listen to. Otherwise, you will continue to be the "Invisible Man".

I think I suggested before you try giving concerts at your local area nursing homes. Seniors are a wonderful audience to play for. They are very appreciative of anybody taking the time to entertain them and they really enjoy hearing the music they grew up with. You might even find they like Si Beag Si Mhor. :D

I'm just giving you my two cents. I mostly play for my own enjoyment so you won't catch me uploading videos. Maybe you need to do the same. Play what you like and like what you play. FWIW, I enjoy music from a variety of sources. I am just as happy to hear One Winged Angel from FFVII as I am Die Moldau by Smetana. :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Most of my YouTube reach is in Japan, lol. I played a lot of Japanese pop music and wrote all my descriptions and titles in Japanese, so it makes sense. When I play it publicly over here in the US, nobody cares though. I've started to play more video game and Disney music to appeal to the demographic here; and it really does make a difference.

In the end, I play what I like at home. :)

Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
Conflict resolution is only a half step away!
I always enjoy listening to what you guys post, even if I don't comment. You are certainly much braver than I am. If it makes you feel any better, Pat, I play a wide range of songs and I love oldies, even some that were popular before my time. Lately, I have been playing "Fly Me to the Moon" and "Moondance." Both are terrific on ocarina.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

Most of my YouTube reach is in Japan, lol. I played a lot of Japanese pop music and wrote all my descriptions and titles in Japanese, so it makes sense.

I've been filmed for Japanese TV about three times, playing Scottish trad music in pubs. I never found out what the shows were (the first was a pretty elaborate affair with a large and slickly professional crew; they took a lot of close-up shots of my fingers playing the washboard).

So, it didn't seem like I needed any Japanese repertoire for them to take notice.

Doing songs that had been hits before she was born seemed to work for Amy Winehouse. Doing long-forgotten music with passion and commitment has always been a winning formula.

ubizmo

Pat Anderson
24 Feb 2015, 05:53 AM
I looked at this earlier and passed on a response! The problem is, video games leave me cold. I absolutely care nothing about Zelda or Final Fantasy or any other game or game music. I care nothing about LOTR music. I care nothing about anime. I like what I like, which is, as you say, 40 year old pop and also Irish and Scottish traditional music, and a lot more. To me, Si Beag Si Mhor is about the most perfect melody every written. So that is what I play, so be it, I guess. I do like the Beatles though, so maybe there is some hope there...
That's pretty much my situation as well. In fact, it's most people's situation. We tend to bond emotionally to the music we heard when we were coming of age. For you and me, that was 40 years ago. It's possible to break out of that into well-defined repertoires, as we've both done to some extent with Irish/Scottish trad--music that I cared nothing about until just a few years ago. It's harder to get a feel for more diffuse genres, such as the video game stuff. We have no emotional connection to the stuff, and the music itself doesn't present much of an identifiable musical signature. The people who enjoy it do so because of what it means to them: many happy hours playing the games and absorbing the music by osmosis.

I haven't posted a YouTube video in over a year. Mostly, my motivation to do so has diminished. At first, I wanted to make the point that the ocarina would work for music other than the Zelda tunes and other video game and anime music. To anyone using the search term "ocarina" on YouTube, there's an avalanche of that kind of music, so I thought it was worthwhile to put something else out there. But I think that mission is accomplished, so I'm not so keen to do more.

In fact, the whole video aspect of it is the most tedious, to me. It's just me sitting in my cluttered spare room that doubles as an "office" (haha), and yet it's a time-consuming thing to get the video to sync right with the sound, etc. So I'm more inclined to do the SoundCloud thing in the future, and if I put anything on YouTube, just put up some stills--unless I'm doing a demo of a particular instrument. In that case, viewers might want to observe the playing.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

ubizmo
26 Feb 2015, 07:28 PM
I haven't posted a YouTube video in over a year. Mostly, my motivation to do so has diminished. At first, I wanted to make the point that the ocarina would work for music other than the Zelda tunes and other video game and anime music. To anyone using the search term "ocarina" on YouTube, there's an avalanche of that kind of music, so I thought it was worthwhile to put something else out there. But I think that mission is accomplished, so I'm not so keen to do more.

In fact, the whole video aspect of it is the most tedious, to me. It's just me sitting in my cluttered spare room that doubles as an "office" (haha), and yet it's a time-consuming thing to get the video to sync right with the sound, etc. So I'm more inclined to do the SoundCloud thing in the future, and if I put anything on YouTube, just put up some stills--unless I'm doing a demo of a particular instrument. In that case, viewers might want to observe the playing.
I first started making videos for the same reason.

I also feel that making videos was tedious; so I haven't made one in a while. Making audio recordings is so much easier; and if I mess up, I can just go back and edit that one section without having to start over.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I think that even 5 years ago, ocarinas were still a novelty on You Tube so there weren't that many videos to watch. Now, there are so many ocarina videos by really fine players, it's hard to find the time to watch them all.

I try to watch as many as I can especially from people I know but there comes a point when I'm oversaturated with ocarina videos. So I wind up passing on those with songs I am not familiar with.

Maybe that is another reason why people aren't posting comments on your videos, Pat. I know there is a very skilled young Japanese man named Masahiro Miyamura who is always uploading ocarina videos every week on the various FB ocarina groups. He doesn't get many comments despite the fact that he is a really good player. Here's a link to his channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWa8EzPNextm3bIzhamUScA

But there is still hope for you Pat. Since I'm addicted to watching Internet cat videos, all you have to do is play your ocarina with Copycat sitting in your office, doing something cute. I'd most definitely have to watch that. I always look forward to seeing Smooth McGroove's black cat in his acapella videos. :)

I thought you had a big hit with your video on I'll Fly Away. You nailed it perfectly. It had a great "feel good" vibe. It was quite the toe tapping tune.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

pandorado100
26 Feb 2015, 08:38 PM
Maybe that is another reason why people aren't posting comments on your videos, Pat. I know there is a very skilled young Japanese man named Masahiro Miyamura who is always uploading ocarina videos every week on the various FB ocarina groups. He doesn't get many comments despite the fact that he is a really good player. Here's a link to his channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWa8EzPNextm3bIzhamUScA
I think the frequency of the posts is also a factor. I'm familiar with most of the songs that Miyamura plays, but he posts too frequently. I usually say to myself that I'll check it out later; but I end up not checking it out at all.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mark Chan
26 Feb 2015, 08:46 PM
pandorado100
I think the frequency of the posts is also a factor. I'm familiar with most of the songs that Miyamura plays, but he posts too frequently. I usually say to myself that I'll check it out later; but I end up not checking it out at all.
Yep, I would have to agree. He should ease up and maybe post a video once a month instead of 2 to 3 times a week. I have to say, I've liked most of his videos I've watched except for one that I though had way too much reverb in it. I posted him a comment saying that it sounded too overprocessed and it would have been nice to hear the natural sound of his ocarina.

I hope I didn't hurt his feelings. :(

carbon

In our house the focus of playing live or playing with others completely overshadows the want to record a video. There have been talks of live-streaming The Water Templar's rehearsals and our music jams on Youtube, but even that's kind of a technical hassle and could break the fun atmosphere. With a choice between spending time recording a video or playing music with others - the choice is pretty clear.

At some point we'll have to make recordings and probably record videos to go along with it - but for now it's cool to just play.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
pandorado100

I thought you had a big hit with your video on I'll Fly Away. You nailed it perfectly. It had a great "feel good" vibe. It was quite the toe tapping tune.
Well, thanks for that , Jeanne, I thought so too, and it was gratifying that Jack thought so as well...he said "All five of you will have to come over and play in a session." That was great. I just am kind of put out that some newbie plays "Song of Storms" of somesuch and there are immediately 20 comments...music that means absolutely nothing to me, but evidently resonates with a fair number of the folks here. I think Todd's comments are pretty much spot on, and I for one miss his videos! But I will continue to play what I like and put it out there!
Edited by Pat Anderson, 27 Feb 2015, 03:10 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
You have to think of the typical ocarina enthusiast in America, Pat. He or she is likely to be a youngster who learned about ocarinas from playing the Legend of Zelda videogames which is why those songs interest them. :)

If you want to find an audience that would appreciate the music that you enjoy playing, maybe you could look into hooking up with a tin whistle group or NAF circle. I'm sure that Jack or Todd would have suggestions.

Try not to feel upset if you don't get comments on your videos from the general population here on TON. I am sure they are supportive of your efforts but don't have the time to listen or else they are reluctant to say something to an elder that might offend him. Do you really want posts from You Tube dweebs saying, "That song sucked! You should be playing Song of Storms dood." LOL

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I don't play ocarina music.

I went along to a new French music session in Edinburgh last week, where most of the players are French and know the music well enough to both play it and dance to it. I fitted in fine, despite none of the other players being as much as half my age. They knew what an ocarina was, too. I had other instruments with me, but mostly used 10-hole transverse ocarinas in G and C.

I am something less than heartbroken that virtually none of the ocarina videos on YouTube features music that I play. I didn't need easy listening music when I was a kid and I don't need it now; it's the same stuff whether George Melachrino and his singing strings or some Japanese schmaltzster backed by an overspecified keyboard is doing it. Nostalgia rating zero.

I listened to a few of Miyamura's videos. Beautifully polished and deadly dull. There is an interesting discussion of passion vs. polish on the melodeon.net forum:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,16402.0.html

I'd rather hear Barbara Rocchi than Miyamura any day.

Elliotness
Member Avatar
Beginner
This is where I post Sound Cloud performances yes?

Well if so:
Final Fantasy Victory Theme

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Here's my latest cover: "Answer" no3b Ocarina Cover

Vagabond Satyr
Member Avatar
To the moooooooooooon.
I know this doesn't have an ocarina in it, but I feel like sharing. I meddled with Zelda's Lullaby on my harp lute tonight. This is how it turned out. :)

Zelda's Lullaby <3

yordan
Member Avatar
total amateur
Dance of Joy - my new composition, influenced by the Irish dance music to certain extend, but again mixed with harder background:
https://soundcloud.com/user-844297787/yordan-tuzsuzov-dance-of-joy

LifeLightXY
Member Avatar
procrastinator
Er, here's my first recording, but beware: it was recorded with my old Samsung phone so I'm not sure about the quality.

https://soundcloud.com/emilyn-847450307/brothers-fullmetal-alchemist

Ragil Suko
Member Avatar
Beginner
wow... amazing place from ocarina player. I'm late to posting my SoundCloud perform....
I hope all Ocarina player will be enjoy my SoundCloud.
Follow and Like please ^ ^

Protoman Theme - Megaman III Ending (Cover Ocarina)

Corridor Of Time - Chrono Trigger (Cover Ocarina)

LifeLightXY
Member Avatar
procrastinator
Okay, so I recorded an updated version of my last recording, but this time--with the backtrack. I'm not sure how I feel about it exactly and I think I could have done better on it, but I would appreciate any kind of feedback to know what I need to work on.

https://soundcloud.com/emilyn-847450307/brothers-fullmetal-alchemist-backtrack

Seraphi
Beginner
Hey Lifelight,

In general I like what you're playing, you're notes are very stable and as far as I can hear in pitch.
You definitely need to work on your rhythm though, that's sometimes a bit off.
Also the backtrack can be a bit louder next time imo, right now the ocarina is really loud in comparison.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Like I said, in general I think it sounds well, just those things stuck out to me.
I only started out as an ocarinist myself recently though, so my remarks might not be accurate yet xD.
Edited by Seraphi, 25 Apr 2016, 05:16 PM.

LifeLightXY
Member Avatar
procrastinator
Seraphi
25 Apr 2016, 05:13 PM
Hey Lifelight,

In general I like what you're playing, you're notes are very stable and as far as I can hear in pitch.
You definitely need to work on your rhythm though, that's sometimes a bit off.
Also the backtrack can be a bit louder next time imo, right now the ocarina is really loud in comparison.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Like I said, in general I think it sounds well, just those things stuck out to me.
I only started out as an ocarinist myself recently though, so my remarks might not be accurate yet xD.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I recorded it while my sister was still asleep in a nearby room, so I couldn't turn the volume up too loud. But now that I think about it, that's probably part of the reason why the rhythm was off, since I could barely hear the beginning of the track myself. Oh, and thank you for your advice! It was very helpful! I'll have to make that my priority, working on rhythm. And next time I record, I'll wait until everyone's awake so I don't disturb anyone :3

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
I cannot vouch for the rhythm and pitch (I'm still working on it), but I hear you articulate each notes sharply, just like what I used to do. I suggest you try to change the articulation between notes (try pronouncing "d" and "t" for sharp articulation "l" or "r" for softer ones and try also not to articulate at all)

Most others on this site are better than I and will probably give you better advice. One piece of advice I found quite useful in my case is by Pandorado100 who told my to do as if I was singing. I'm applying her advice, and I think I improved my playing since.

Also, are you working based on tabs or music sheet? tabs gives no indication of rhythm or articulation at al. Music sheet barely gives not that much info on the articulation. I think the best way to do is to hear the piece played by a woodwind instrument, to understand how it should be played.

LifeLightXY
Member Avatar
procrastinator
Ocypode
25 Apr 2016, 09:09 PM
I cannot vouch for the rhythm and pitch (I'm still working on it), but I hear you articulate each notes sharply, just like what I used to do. I suggest you try to change the articulation between notes (try pronouncing "d" and "t" for sharp articulation "l" or "r" for softer ones and try also not to articulate at all)

Most others on this site are better than I and will probably give you better advice. One piece of advice I found quite useful in my case is by Pandorado100 who told my to do as if I was singing. I'm applying her advice, and I think I improved my playing since.

Also, are you working based on tabs or music sheet? tabs gives no indication of rhythm or articulation at al. Music sheet barely gives not that much info on the articulation. I think the best way to do is to hear the piece played by a woodwind instrument, to understand how it should be played.
Ah, I see. So far I have actually been using tabs because that's what I started with. I know the basics of sheet music though, so would you recommend that I switch primarily to that instead? I suppose it would definitely help with improving my rhythm if I did so. As for articulation, I'll just have to practice what you said. Thank you for your kind advice!

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
I do think that music sheets are a more effective way to read music, The concept is truly easy in the C major scale, it's just "the next dot is half a line above, ok, I uncover one more hole".

For accidentals, it may take a little more time, for me, I discovered them progressively while discovering new tunes.

Finally, I think it is easier to scan through a music sheet than tabs, because you have the tempo and you can actually see the shape of the melody (not in tabs, not directly). So if you forgot what the melody was like in the middle of a practice session, you don't loose too much time finding the place where you got stuck.

LifeLightXY
Member Avatar
procrastinator
Ocypode
26 Apr 2016, 08:56 PM
I do think that music sheets are a more effective way to read music, The concept is truly easy in the C major scale, it's just "the next dot is half a line above, ok, I uncover one more hole".

For accidentals, it may take a little more time, for me, I discovered them progressively while discovering new tunes.

Finally, I think it is easier to scan through a music sheet than tabs, because you have the tempo and you can actually see the shape of the melody (not in tabs, not directly). So if you forgot what the melody was like in the middle of a practice session, you don't loose too much time finding the place where you got stuck.
Did you have any trouble with the softer articulation sounding a bit--airy? Whenever I use the "l" sound instead of "tu" the notes sound kind of...well, bad. Will that just get better with more practice? Honestly, it's making me feel a little self-conscience about my playing now, lol.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Oups, I thought I answered before...

I definitively had problems when I tried to do softer articulation. At first, I was not even at at the correct pitch. I'm still ironing out details, but most of the problems I had at first are gone. Overall, I'd say my playing improved compared to when I did strong articulation between each note. More importantly, I find it more interesting and funny to try new things with articulation, it's almost like singing, except I have better chance to have the right pitch ;)

LifeLightXY
Member Avatar
procrastinator
Ocypode
3 May 2016, 09:02 AM
Oups, I thought I answered before...

I definitively had problems when I tried to do softer articulation. At first, I was not even at at the correct pitch. I'm still ironing out details, but most of the problems I had at first are gone. Overall, I'd say my playing improved compared to when I did strong articulation between each note. More importantly, I find it more interesting and funny to try new things with articulation, it's almost like singing, except I have better chance to have the right pitch ;)
That makes sense. c: I've also been experimenting with other types of articulation now. "Gu" and "Lu" in particular are becoming two of my favorites, actually.

LifeLightXY
Member Avatar
procrastinator
I've had this track recorded for a while now, but thought I'd go ahead and upload it.

https://soundcloud.com/emilyn-847450307/inuyashas-lullaby-reverb

metranisome
Member Avatar
Experimental Ocarina Maker
Here is a track I made in late December on my set of Microtonal Ocarinas.

https://soundcloud.com/metranisome/something-permissable

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Meant to make a video, but my camera was not on video mode when I hit record, so all I have is audio.
Woman Flower「女人花」

LifeLightXY
Member Avatar
procrastinator
The Pokeflute song on the Pokeball ocarina from Songbird.

https://soundcloud.com/emilyn-847450307/pokeflute

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Performances · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ