Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Sound Cloud performances; Post your audio-only recordings here
Topic Started: 17 Dec 2012, 08:18 PM (18,862 Views)
sunsetcafe
Beginner
@geotjakra Thank you. I will keep learning. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dedicarina
Member Avatar
Beginner
Hi,

I'm new here, just posted my new cover from Harvest Moon (Town)

https://soundcloud.com/dedikecil/town-harvest-moon

I think the timing is still not good? Hope for any advices :) Thank you
Edited by dedicarina, 10 May 2014, 12:27 AM.

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
Jill theredhedgehog
5 Feb 2014, 11:13 AM
Good mornin'! Had a thunk to do another "vocal cover" :rofl:

https://soundcloud.com/jill-theredhedgehog/maybe-im-amazed-vocal-cover
My goodness, Jill. If I didn't know it was you, I'd think you were a professional. Your voice is excellent :grin:

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Seconded. You're easily good enough to be fronting a band.

Might help to get some vocal training in belting it out harder and holding notes longer, but what you can do already will hold an audience.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Aww, thanks so much, you guys! That means a lot :hug:

@ Jack: Yes, and I couldn't agree more! One of my greatest challenges is learning to sustain notes along with strengthening my diaphragm. I've actually been trying to do another cover for "Maybe I'm Amazed", buuuuut :rofl: my performance isn't quite where I want it to be at the moment. I hope I will be able to find a buddy or take up lessons with a trained vocalist. It's fun to sing and even though I don't regard myself as a singer it would be an adventure to really learn how to own my voice :D

Thanks for the feedback. I always welcome it! :boogie:

sunsetcafe
Beginner
Self-learning 2 months, recorded a part of a old Taiwan song called "Rainy Night Flower".

https://soundcloud.com/sunsetcafe/on-ocarina

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
That wasn't bad, sunsetcafe.

sunsetcafe
Beginner
@Endalion Thank you.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Recorded a little tune tonight, the Shaker tune "Simple Gifts." I made the backing track (a harpsichord) with Finale Notepad and played the melody on my new to me Dinda AC double, although the tune is played entirely on the first chamber. Thanks to Jeanne for noticing that Simple Gifts is the same melody as Lord of the Dance. Simple Gifts is played at about half the tempo of Lord of the Dance, and has an entirely different feel to it. I like this quite a lot, there may be a follow-up YouTube, then again there may not be. Love to have feedback, please post comments on SoundCloud if you are so inclined!

Spoiler: click to toggle

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
This is just an opinion from a non expert musician but I think I would rather have listened to your son play the accompaniment on his guitar than the harpsichord you worked up with Finale.

Rightly or wrongly, I associate harpsichords with Baroque music so I kept expecting you to break out into a fugue instead of a Shaker hymn. :)

Nicely done though. I always like playing Simple Gifts because it reminds me to be thankful for all the myriad blessings that come my way each day.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Jeanne, no danger of a fugue breaking out! Austin is not always available to play guitar for me! I thought the backing track was pretty consistent with the nature of the melody, how do you know that the Shakers did not play harpsichords? :-) Anyway, I really liked the backing track, sorry it disappointed you! According to this article, the Shakers DID play the harpsichord!
Here is a copy and paste:

Shaker Forest Festival

You do not need a time machine to experience some 18th-century entertainment. The Shaker Forest Festival, complete with harpsichords playing and craftsmen selling their products, will be held Saturday and Sunday and Sept. 13-14, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (5:30 p.m. on the 14th). The sounds of bagpipes and the clang of blacksmith hammers will not be foreign at this festival.

So my backing track for Simple Gifts IS likely an authentic replica! I know, "authentic replica" is an oxymoron!

Edited by Pat Anderson, 4 Jun 2014, 02:57 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Here's my practice run-through for my next video :boogie:

Hopefully I'll have this lovely melody perfected and uploaded before the end of the week. Enjoy the teaser! :D

https://soundcloud.com/jill-theredhedgehog/therrus-song-on-ocarina-work-in-progress

JollyHoliday
Member Avatar
Lover of Bears
That sounds lovely, Jill! I can't wait for the video of it!! :D

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
https://soundcloud.com/x511100x/ionly-have-eyes-for-you-on-ocarina
Here's a song that I never finished. It's called "I Only Have Eyes For You". It was the first song that I played every instrument in. The piano and drums are from my keyboard.

IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
Finished or not, it was fun. Thanks for posting it. What is unfinished about it? Why don't you finish it?

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
Eh I dunno, back when I was recording I sort of lost interest in finishing it because it was taking so long. I'm not exactly sure why it was taking so long but since I accidentally rendered all the tracks into one and then saved it, I can no longer adjust individual recorded portions. I learned not to do that anymore lol
Edited by 511100, 14 Jul 2014, 08:05 AM.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
OK, a re-do of Simple Gifts for Jeanne, who was afraid a fugue was going to break out in my original recording! This is actually the same Finale Notepad backing track exported to MuseScore with a bass line added and the melody line deleted. Then I recorded a live guitar track. Finally, I re-recorded the ocarina on the melody. Overall, I am quite happy, there may be flaws, but I don't think I could play it much better no matter how much I practiced. Izzy, I tried to pay more attention to breathing, there may still be issues but like I say, I don't know how I could have done it much better!

Comments welcome!
Edited by Pat Anderson, 15 Jul 2014, 05:35 AM.

IzzyB
Member Avatar
Gardener
I like the live guitar, and the melody is played quite nicely. Thanks for sharing!

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

The Shakers could never have seen a guitar at the time when "Simple Gifts" was written (1848). It was 50 years before anything like the modern acoustic guitar was available - it didn't come into common use until the 1930s. Harpsichord is possible, though pianos were more common everywhere after about 1800.

"Simple Gifts" was written as a dancing song. Probably meant to go at the same speed as "Lord of the Dance" is usually sung at.

(I can't access SoundCloud from this machine, so I've no idea what Pat's version sounds like).

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Jack Campin
15 Jul 2014, 02:55 PM
The Shakers could never have seen a guitar at the time when "Simple Gifts" was written (1848). It was 50 years before anything like the modern acoustic guitar was available - it didn't come into common use until the 1930s. Harpsichord is possible, though pianos were more common everywhere after about 1800.

"Simple Gifts" was written as a dancing song. Probably meant to go at the same speed as "Lord of the Dance" is usually sung at.

(I can't access SoundCloud from this machine, so I've no idea what Pat's version sounds like).
@Izzy - thanks, I think I did that as well as I am capable of doing. Robert still had some issues with articulation and pitch in his FB comments, but I was really not aware of those on this tune. He said phrasing was awkward and I was sharp on descending notes. Even listening now with that in mind, I am not hearing it, so Robert just must have a much more attuned ear than I do.

@Jack - comments noted! I play the guitar, so I used it! I am not necessarily trying to recreate this the way the Shakers would have played this tune, although it is a historical fact that the Shakers played harpsichords! Here is a squib from an ad for the Shaker Forest Festival:

"You do not need a time machine to experience some 18th-century entertainment. The Shaker Forest Festival, complete with harpsichords playing and craftsmen selling their products, will be held Saturday and Sunday and Sept. 13-14, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (5:30 p.m. on the 14th)."

The"correct" tempo I cannot really speak to, this is what sounded good to me. And some dances are done at a more stately tempo - the scene from the Anthony Andrews version of The Scarlet Pimpernel comes to mind where the caller says "Ladies and gentlemen, pray take your places for the minuet." Aaron Copland used the theme in Apalachian Spring in 1944, and it is a bit more up-tempo than I did it but I don't think as fast as Lord of the Dance is sung (I only know version by the Corries however). Here is Copland by Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic:

Anyway, I appreciate comments, both positive and critical. The most disheartening thing is to post a performance that nobody cares enough about to say anything at all!
Edited by Pat Anderson, 15 Jul 2014, 04:15 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I appreciated your changes Pat. I am not a musical historian but I know what I like and I didn't like harpsichords in a folk melody. :)

I present you with the Grand Serenade for an Awful Lot of Winds and Percussion by PDQ Bach. I hope Jack approves. I think it would go great with Simple Gifts. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPEpobb089U

Edited by pandorado100, 15 Jul 2014, 04:22 PM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Try this for size:

http://www.iheartmusicvideos.com/cumbYMusicPrv7UV/Bonaparte-crossing-the-Rhine.html

(Irish music on a two-manual harpsichord, by somebody who really knows what he's doing).

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Got me tapping my toe with this one, Jack!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
How are you coming along with your Irish whistle, Pat? Maybe you could double up on your videos by playing the whistle against your ocarina? I'll bet it would sound pretty good since they have different sound characteristics.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Jeanne, have considered doing something with both ocarina, Irish whistle and guitar, just not finding the right vehicle for that!

Jonnvoll
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Found this song while searching on youtube and I just had to learn it on the ocarina. You can listen to it here
https://soundcloud.com/jonnvoll/endless-love-the-myth.

Hope you like it :)

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
Here's some more harmony practice I recorded: https://soundcloud.com/x511100x/ocarina-harmony-practice-sapa

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
OK, I went into my little room and recorded Si Beagh Si Mhor, Becker D whistle and Taylor GSMini guitar with Audacity and added some mild effects in Reaper.

Listen on Soundcloud.

Comments solicited!

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Yoohoo...anybody home here? This scrolled off the Active Topics with nary a comment! Used to be, there would be a lot of comments within an hour or two of any new tune being posted here! What gives?

Vagabond Satyr
Member Avatar
To the moooooooooooon.
I just posted my first recording with reverb... kinda testing Audacity out. There's some high notes in there that the microphone doesn't take very well, so I'd lower the volume a little bit!
At least I think that's from my microphone? Anyone know how to fix that sound?

Well, here's the link: She Moved Through the Fair

Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
Where words fail, music speaks!
Here is a couple songs I did with the new ICO contra-bass ocarina.

The song Auld Lang Syne: The lowest note in the song is C and the highest is D.
Contra-bass Auld Lang Syne

The song Lullaby: The lowest note in the song is E-flat and the highest is E-flat.
Contra-bass Lullaby

Mikeneko
Beginner
Hello to everyone! I'm newby here, so please excuse me If i'll do something wrong. The recoding which i want to post Is my first ever live perfomance. It was very scary and perhaps It was a bit early to play on stage, since i only played ocarina for two months or so. But my friend ( she plays piano parts on these recodings) asked me so i did It. I will be much oblige to you for any critics and suggestions about my play. Thank you for you attention.
http://soundcloud.com/anna-lyuskina/tchaikovsky-neapolitan-song
http://soundcloud.com/anna-lyuskina/dolzhikov-elegia

Spacefood
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Mikeneko
17 Dec 2014, 12:48 AM
It was very scary and perhaps It was a bit early to play on stage, since i only played ocarina for two months or so.
Nicely done! Quite impressive for only two months or so of playing. I especially liked the Tchaikovsky piece, and it sounds like your audience enjoyed it too.

Mikeneko
Beginner
Spacefood
17 Dec 2014, 05:27 AM
Mikeneko
17 Dec 2014, 12:48 AM
It was very scary and perhaps It was a bit early to play on stage, since i only played ocarina for two months or so.
Nicely done! Quite impressive for only two months or so of playing. I especially liked the Tchaikovsky piece, and it sounds like your audience enjoyed it too.
Thank you :)

zegamax
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Hi Ocarinist :double: ,

My first song recorded for a sentimental cover I'm doing. This song is called yeonriji and I like the feeling that gives me to play the melody :jumpy: .

https://soundcloud.com/pitter-talavera/yeonriji-on-ocarina

Please Enjoy.

Vagabond Satyr
Member Avatar
To the moooooooooooon.
Just uploaded a few little tunes... :3

Fi's Theme: https://soundcloud.com/vagabondsatyr/fis-theme-ocarina
I hope to experiment a little more with that file when I get my chimes in the mail.
And an experiment with my new microphone and peep shaker (The Place I'll Return Someday--FFIX): https://soundcloud.com/vagabondsatyr/blue-snowball-microphone-test

Gnomeish
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I've been playing Dragon Age 2 and the new Dragon Age Inquisition recently and I just had to try hand at The Dawn Will Come.

It's a simple, but beautiful and haunting song that feels great to play on my new ICO Double AG!
Edited by Gnomeish, 31 Dec 2014, 02:30 AM.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
OK, first Soundcloud recording of the New Year! "I'll Fly Away" from "O Brother." I am playing guitar, mandolin, bass and ocarina (a melody and a harmony track). Enjoy! I think I will take this one to YouTube!
Spoiler: click to toggle

Spacefood
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Nice one Pat! I love that song. Great movie too.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

LINK

This is a song I've been meaning to do a full, polished recording of since I first started seriously playing the ocarina. I've finally gotten around to it after ..... six years now!

It's not a whole lot of ocarina, though. Just a few little bits. This is a fairly simple arrangement but it still took me about thirty years to put it all together in Garageband! I hope this is the start of many recordings!

It's not a perfect recording of playing but I've spent a little too much time on this project. Future recordings should have better intonation.
Edited by Bateleur, 19 Jan 2015, 10:43 PM.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Am I the only one posting SoundCloud performances? <_<

https://soundcloud.com/bateleur5/cinco-de-chocobo

Chocobo riding theme from Final Fantasy 7!

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
That was awesome Bateleur!

OcarinaDude1
Member Avatar
pop123444
it was really awesome. and your the only one posting sound cloud performances for now, but i have some im getting prepared to record

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

Very good playing Bateleur, I love your use of articulation and how it adds energy to the tune.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Thanks everyone! :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Performances · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ