Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Imperial City Ocarina; Importing ocarinas from China
Topic Started: 16 Dec 2012, 03:57 PM (17,897 Views)
Redwind
Member Avatar

Hello TON Members,
Have just launched an online store at www.imperialcityocarina.com featuring the purple clay ocarinas of the artist Song Wei from China. These ocarinas have been called the Taobao Bulls on TON and elsewhere. We've also got Mr. Song's xun and mankou xun that players of the more traditional ocarinas might like to check out. We ship orders from the U.S. and plan soon to be offering shipping directly from China as well. Ocarina enthusiasts outside China will now have a much easier time obtaining the "Taobao Bulls". Or should these be called the ICO bulls now? Let TON members decide that, I guess. Anyway, Imperial City Ocarina takes its English name as a direct translation of what Mr. Song calls his shop/store in China. And I am very pleased to be making available these fine ocarinas. Mr. Song is a great guy to work with as well as being a skilled craftsman and artist.
Redwind
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Thanks so much. :) I've been wanting to try one of these, but ordering from Taobao doesn't sound fun. I'm glad these are more readily available now. Those Mankou xuns look fantastic as well.

Poltergeist
Member Avatar
Pink Elephant on Parade

I've got two single chamber ocarinas from Song Wei in Alto F and Bass C and I like them very much. But I bought them both from a British Ebay seller, because I really don't like the idea of buying from TaoBao. So I'm glad I'll finally be able to get one of his low multichambers easily, too. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

ZultanQ
Member Avatar
Polish Winged Hussar
Holy cow, triple ocarinas for only $125, competitive pricing indeed. I very well may get one of these as my first triple, the bull sign looks awesome too.

Thanks for sharing.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
The reason we started calling them bull ocarinas is because we couldn't figure out what the name was. I will start to call them by the actual name now but their nickname might stick with everyone else.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Hello Redwind and welcome to TON. I have a few of these ocarinas already bought through the taobao route.

Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
I really like your policy's on returns and damaged items its quite wonderful the prices aren't half bad as well. And the ocarinas are of great quality.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
So, instead of continuing this conversation in the Gloat or Cry thread, I figured it should be moved here.
--
SBK mentioned that Song Wei would make porcelain ocarinas to order. I was immediately intrigued. I sent Mr. Ahens an email and he got back to me later that night.
an exerpt from Mr. Ahen's reply

I just now called him and asked about your request, and this time he
explained things in more detail. He currently has no interest in doing
porcelain. For one thing, his kiln is not suitable for porcelain (he
previously has borrowed space in a friend's kiln but that option is no
longer readily available). Secondly, he's had trouble with different
porcelain raw material batches varying in shrinkability during firing. So,
as an occasional maker of porcelain, he found it impossible to make a
quality porcelain product with any degree of efficiency, since shrinkage
causes changes in pitch.
So he won't make porcelain ocarinas, or at least not currently.
Edited by TheZ, 1 Jan 2013, 03:03 PM.

(Kevin)
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I purchased one of the Triple Bass C from the website two days ago. The pricing including shipping (EMS express) to ireland was very reasonable. It was cheaper to buy than most of the double alto's in my collection. Im hoping to receive it in a week or so.
I shall post pictures plus sound samples after i have had some time to get comfortable with the breath slope, and sheer size and weight (2 pounds) of this monster of an ocarina.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Cool looking ocarinas. If ever I'm in need of something new, I'll remember you guys! *bookmarks page*

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Another person you could try asking about porcelain ocarinas is Akira Tenrai. When I last exchanged emails with him, he mentioned that he was experimenting with porcelain, trying to determine how much the pitch would change after firing, etc.

It didn't sound like he was seriously thinking of releasing a line of porcelain ocarinas, mostly just puttering around for personal development. Perhaps he would accept a custom order for making one if you asked nicely. :)

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Hello Redwind! :) Thank you for sharing this with us. It's always wonderful to jump into another portal of wonderful ocarinas. I'm very curious about these and look forward to making a purchase in the near-future! :D

Fred
Member Avatar
On taobao he says he can customize ocarinas what does this customization entail? Is glaze available or any sort of finish that is a little more beautiful?

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
I thought it just said he could put in custom logos.

Dragongirl11
Member Avatar
Her Royal Highness
I can't express how awesome this is in words alone. I've been wanting one of the triple/quad basses for a while, and I was afraid of buying from TaoBao. Now, this is just simply too irresistible! c:

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
Dragongirl11
2 Jan 2013, 06:26 AM
I can't express how awesome this is in words alone. I've been wanting one of the triple/quad basses for a while, and I was afraid of buying from TaoBao. Now, this is just simply too irresistible! c:
If you decide to go with a triple you will have to resist a little longer as they are currently out of stock.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Yes, but according to an e-mail I got from Imperial they should be back in stock for their U.S outlet within 7 - 10 days. So keep a look out! :) And the e-mail also said that their inventory in China still has a few, but their postage prices are higher for delivery to those of us in U.S/Canada. It's probably best to wait.
Actually, if you go to their website, they have a "re-stocking notification" option. They'll e-mail you when they have something back in-stock in their inventory. I'm signed! d(^.^)b
Edited by Jill theredhedgehog, 2 Jan 2013, 09:00 AM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I want to buy a 12-hole AF. But, I'm laying off the ocarina purchasing for now, lol. Gotta recover from the holidays.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
fm12692
2 Jan 2013, 05:54 AM
On taobao he says he can customize ocarinas what does this customization entail? Is glaze available or any sort of finish that is a little more beautiful?
Why are you asking this when you are capable of doing your own customization job on ocarinas, Fred? :)

Mark Chan
2 Jan 2013, 03:59 PM
I want to buy a 12-hole AF. But, I'm laying off the ocarina purchasing for now, lol. Gotta recover from the holidays.
Haha, me too, Mark. My ocarina purchases have to slow down until I recover my depleted bank account. I had to replace all the outflow drains in my house recently. :(
Edited by pandorado100, 2 Jan 2013, 05:19 PM.

melodican
Member Avatar
Behold! 'Tis the flute of my people!

Drat, yet another temptation to deal with. And they ship in and from the US, too! *cries*

craftymadeleine
Member Avatar
waster of money on pretty ocarinas
I ordered a BC triple a while ago and I absolutely love it! I'm glad I won't have to deal with an agent anymore. :) Where are the sopraninos?

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
pandorado100
2 Jan 2013, 05:13 PM
fm12692
Why are you asking this when you are capable of doing your own customization job on ocarinas, Fred? :)
This customization is different. He'll replace the Bull w/ some other logo or signature.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
My bass triple arrived today. It was actually a bit smaller than I expected (most ocarinas have been smaller than I expected), though also a bit heavier than I expected, Although even though I have played it very little I am already pretty much used to the weight. I haven't played enough to really get an idea of how good the chamber balance is, but so far I am happy with that as well. Chamber switching is quite easy, as my lips do not get stuck to it like my glazed double, and beneath the wind-ways there are very slight rises that make it easy to locate them. The mouthpiece is also shaped in a way that makes it very easy to get a good seal, and even when I first played it found it easy to only play the desired chamber and avoid leaking air on the chambers on the edge. The surface has a very slightly sticky feel to it. I will probably post an update later after playing with it some more.

Fred
Member Avatar
pandorado100
fm12692

Mark Chan
Haha, me too, Mark. My ocarina purchases have to slow down until I recover my depleted bank account. I had to replace all the outflow drains in my house recently. :(
Because I can't glaze :p hehe and painting is something I have less and less time for :p

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
fm12692
2 Jan 2013, 10:05 PM
pandorado100
fm12692

Mark Chan
Because I can't glaze :p hehe and painting is something I have less and less time for :p
Well hang in there, you should be close to finishing your degree, right? Then you'll have all the time you need to jazz up your ocarinas. And maybe even buy a kiln and start glazing? I remember saying that you should go into business with Larry and make ocarinas together. :)

I wish I had put in a bid on that Hello Kitty ocarina I saw on eBay. Heck, I don't even buy Hello Kitty trinkets and other rubbish as a general rule but that ocarina was so adorable. I wonder what Master Song Wei would think if I asked him to customize one of his ICO ocarinas with a Hello Kitty design? I asked Casper about it as a joke and he wasn't quite up for it due to copyright infringement issues. :rofl:

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Bump. They've added some new products to their site, including the Bull Xun, Bull lanyards, Soprano G Double, and my favorite, a miniature AC Double. It's so cute! :3
Posted Image
Edited by TheZ, 20 Jan 2013, 10:04 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Neat. I like their lanyards. That mini-AC double IS cute! :) Also I'm EXTREMELY happy to see they have their bass triples back in stock. I'll be sure to save up and buy one of them in the next few weeks (hopefully they won't be out of stock again anytime soon lol).

Fred
Member Avatar
O.o the breath requirement difference on those double AC ocarinas must be HUGE

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I love the shape of the DSG and the Mini DAC.

If everything pans out, I'll have something cool to show you guys.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
I dunno if it's been shared yet, but Song Wei has his own YouTube Channel now - since Jan. 25th :)

Here's a video featuring the Triple Bass C ^.^

Fred
Member Avatar
love how high breath that video makes it seem o.o

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
Love the sound.

Do you plan to send to europe?

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I just saw that video on your FB update Jill. That guy is unbelievable! I wish I could play my Bull TAG that well. How he manages to not get squeaks is amazing.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
It's very accurate to the sound, imho. Textured and earthy... and yeah; they do sound like they take more breath than they do. :) Very, very lovely playing, too!

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
@ Pan: You stalkin' me? ;) Hehe. Yes, indeed! I love his playing style. I have yet to transition that quickly with my double XD Although I do believe I heard squeaks a couple times on those higher notes... correct me if I'm wrong.

@ Spoony: I agree! I love its earthy esthetics and the higher notes are so crisp! :)
Also, feel free to correct me on this as well, but was he playing a variation of El Condor Pasa? I adore that song :D
Edited by Jill theredhedgehog, 4 Feb 2013, 02:42 AM.

Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
Where words fail, music speaks!
I wish I could play like that!
I noticed on the triples that he is playing there is an extra hole on the 2nd and 3rd chambers.
What are the extra holes for?

(Kevin)
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Turtlewalker
4 Feb 2013, 02:42 PM
I noticed on the triples that he is playing there is an extra hole on the 2nd and 3rd chambers.
I'm guessing they are tuning holes

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
redhedgehogocarina
4 Feb 2013, 02:41 AM
@ Pan: You stalkin' me? ;) Hehe. Yes, indeed! I love his playing style. I have yet to transition that quickly with my double XD Although I do believe I heard squeaks a couple times on those higher notes... correct me if I'm wrong.

@ Spoony: I agree! I love its earthy esthetics and the higher notes are so crisp! :)
Also, feel free to correct me on this as well, but was he playing a variation of El Condor Pasa? I adore that song :D
Red, yes I am stalking you. Be very afraid. Mwa haha! (Expect your letter and package soon)

I get squeaks on my ICO TAG even on the low notes. The Chinese player doesn't. Yes, I heard squeaks on the upper notes a few times but they weren't as bad as mine. Unless I really take care with my breath, everything I play on the ICO is a major squeakfest. It's a really challenging one to play. It's almost as bad as my FRM Flame ocarina.

Fred
Member Avatar
Turtlewalker
4 Feb 2013, 02:42 PM
I wish I could play like that!
Most likely for tuning and alternate fingering on accidentals

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Could it also be that the triple in this video is their 'extended range' edition :?

@ Pan: AHHHHHHH!! I'm so excited!! :D I can't wait to get your package m'dearest stalker :)

Maybe it's because I'm super tired, but "squeakfest" made me giggle :lmao: I can't wait to send you your package as well.

Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
It is not their extended range.
I have the extend range G and mine has two holes at the bottom point that seem to serve no purpose and it hurts your thumb when you try to use them.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Maybe they are his earlier model ocarinas or ones that have not been released to the public????

melodican
Member Avatar
Behold! 'Tis the flute of my people!

Ironically enough, I'm not impressed so much with the sound of the multis due to all that squeakin', but the sound samples for the singles (looks like you have to download them) aren't bad at all. And $103 for a bass is still pretty darn reasonable!
Edited by melodican, 5 Feb 2013, 05:20 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
@ Turtlewalker: I think those bottom holes are to let air escape, or something, from that chamber..? I dunno, my double ocarina from STL also has such a hole that you can't do anything with. Anyone have an explanation?

@ Melodican: Aw. Haha, well I can understand! Although I do agree that these are probably one of the most affordable triple bases I've seen thus far :boogie:

Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
@ Melodican: I guess it would depend on the ocarina.
I only ever have a bad squeak on the high notes on the second chamber if I don't blow enough air.
I will say that my ICO does have a very low breath requirement and does take a lot to get use to make it sound good. I only been playing mine for close to a month now.
Edited by Turtlewalker, 5 Feb 2013, 06:50 PM.

FlappyDragon
Member Avatar
I'm A Ocarina-Playing Dragon. Meow. XD
Does anybody have one of the Triple AC? I'm wondering how they sound, because I'm thinking of buying one.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ