Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Your Ocarina collection!; post pics of your ocarina(s) here
Topic Started: 5 May 2008, 01:37 PM (66,063 Views)
Devdadou
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Hello every one!

It's not a picture but my video of my ocarina collection (I bought some new ones since the picture ^^) 8-) :jumpy:

Edited by Devdadou, 13 Dec 2016, 08:28 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
KungFish
13 Dec 2016, 07:39 AM
http://imgur.com/a/4L023

Pacchioni Quadrupla B

Takashi Triple C

Focalink Forte Double C

Ti Amo 4C

ICO Triple Bass C

Tenrai... I actually forgot the key it's in.

Guest appearance by the ROLI Seaboard Rise.
Impressive. Small collection but excellent quality.

KungFish
Member Avatar
collector
TheZ
13 Dec 2016, 09:53 PM
KungFish
13 Dec 2016, 07:39 AM
http://imgur.com/a/4L023

Pacchioni Quadrupla B

Takashi Triple C

Focalink Forte Double C

Ti Amo 4C

ICO Triple Bass C

Tenrai... I actually forgot the key it's in.

Guest appearance by the ROLI Seaboard Rise.
Impressive. Small collection but excellent quality.
Thanks!
Edited by KungFish, 5 May 2017, 03:52 AM.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
This is how my collection's going so far, after a wash in the sink since they're plastic. c: Enjoying going through the images posted here. I love how there's an ocarina for everybody, with all the various designs or shapes they can have, as well as the number of makers to choose from! As a new ocarina player, I feel spoiled for choice.

(Also, the original string tore on me, so I plan on replacing the placeholder black shoe lace with a matching cyan shoe lace when I can order some. Then I can say "I'm playing music on a shoe string budget!" and mean it literally. :grin: )

Posted Image

And the newest addition to my collection! I bought one more ocarina, the ceramic six-hole seedpod ocarina by Focalink. Mostly wanted an affordable, quality ceramic alto to play until I feel confident enough to hold and use a ceramic twelve-hole, as well as to experiment with the six-hole fingering system. (It's both interesting and fun for me to play.)

Posted Image

Its long neck prevents the fipple bend technique, and I want to replace the carrying strap with a better one, but I'm really happy with it! Its glaze is so pretty in person, and the ocarina sounds pretty too; definitely a playable treasure for me. I like to hold this one in my hands like a little gemstone. Or rather, a fairly large gemstone, this ocarina's a lot bigger than it looks in the picture! I'm glad it came with a wrist strap instead of a long one to carry it around your neck; it would legitimately hurt my neck after a while.

Overall, I don't plan on building a large collection myself, but I will get as many ranges or types to play as I need them. (I'd like some ceramic ones, more plastic ones, six-hole ocarinas, some tuned in G, etc.) Even better if they add color/pattern variety to my little collection!
Edited by LillyDragon, 3 Feb 2017, 03:35 AM.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
I really need to post a picture of my collection of 16, soon to be 19 ocarinas.

Until then you'll just have to settle for a list:
-Focalink DAC
-Focalink DSG
-STL Fire SG
-STL Little Echo SC
-STL Necklace SC
-STL Destiny AC (can't really play since it's super uncomfortable)
-ICO Green TBC
-Tenrai 8h
-Tenrai 6h (x2)
-Fiehn SA
-Fiehn AF (can't really play since my pinky finger is too small)
-Fiehn AG
-EWA SB (plays in A for some reason)
-Old Glory ABb
-Songbird Fire Opal Dragontooth AC
-Songbird Raku Pendant SG
-Songbird Teardrop Pendant SG
-Disney Animal Kingdom Cup Ocarina

Ocarinas currently shipping:
-MasterTar (etsy) F Acorn, D and A "Song of the Sea"
Edited by jordan.1210, 28 Jan 2017, 06:10 AM.

BigC
Member Avatar
When you're STL, You're STL 4 Life!!!

Posted Image
My STL 1.0 & 2.0 Plastic Tenor Ocarinas!
Edited by BigC, 28 Jan 2017, 12:57 AM.

empty instruments
Beginner
my huaca :)

Posted Image

https://www.facebook.com/pg/emptyinstruments/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1205290726218397
Edited by empty instruments, 2 Feb 2017, 12:42 PM.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
Your tenor ocarinas are cute, BigC! I didn't know the shape of STL's tenors changed that much between revisions; it's interesting. Has the sound changed as a result? I'm curious.

And I updated my last post with my seedpod ocarina! I'm really happy with it. (Padded carrying pouch courtesy of my aunt. Seedpods don't come with these.)

BigC
Member Avatar

Both sounds the same and they are great!

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Finally got to posting a picture of my ocarina collection.

I'm missing 3 since they were shipped to my house and I'm in college but here's the ones I have with me.

Row 1: Disney Animal Kingdom Ocarina Cup
Row 2: ICO TBC; Fiehn F10, G9, A2 1/2; EWA B2
Row 3: Songbird Teardrop SG, Soprano Pendant SG, Dragontooth AC; Old Glory ABb; Stein DSG, DAC
Row 4: STL Necklace SC, Little Echo SC, Fire SG, Destiny AC; Tenrai Monsoon Seas 6h, River Stone 8h, Red Halo 6h

Posted Image
Edited by jordan.1210, 5 Feb 2017, 10:24 AM.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
That's a pretty collection! I forgot how great the golden dragon tooth looks, and are those pendents altos or sopranos? They seem rather large; the speckled glaze on them is pretty.

On a possibly somewhat related note, I'm interested in getting the mini ocarinas by STL. Does anyone have those yet? I have no doubt they sound sweet, but the STL "sound sample" video on the page is just an advertisement. :grin:

"BigC"

Both sounds the same and they are great!

That's good to know! The more ocarinas, the merrier anyway, new and old. If I had different revisions of the same model, I'd keep them too.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
I assume you are talking about the three pendants on the right. They are made by Tenrai and are soprano A. They make six and eight hole versions with various glazes that are very pretty.

I'm also interested in this pendants since they are in E and I'm trying to get most keys. I think they'd be sopranino E's but I can't offer much more. Might just buy one :P

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
Once I'm a better player, I want to build up a wider range of keys as well. It's neat they have pendents in A, so I might look into buying some Tenrais in the future! They're cute.

The mini ocarinas are definitely soprano, beyond just their miniaturized chamber size; I think the range is E6-G7. Only problem is we have no online sound samples to go on before ordering, and I wouldn't be surprised if that has held back some potential buyers. I might get one soon as well, since I want to order it anyway, and post SoundCloud samples for the curious. Bedroom closets aren't too shabby for recording!

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
lol I have way too many A ocarinas now. I have 6 that play in A and only 5 that play in C.

For Tenrai, there's plenty to choose from and they are pretty affordable. If you get a mini oc, please share! I've had a hard time finding ocs in E! The no sound sample has kind of held me back despite them being only $18 XD

BTW, I finally get to add to the collection and play 3 ocs that I got as presents during the holiday's next weekend! (F, A, D)
Edited by jordan.1210, 12 Feb 2017, 02:02 AM.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
I looked at Tenrai's eBay store, and I loved what I saw there! Very affordable, beautiful pendents. If I get another pendent in the near future, it will definitely be through them.

As for the mini ocarina, I decided against it. Its asking price is a steal at $18, but it's not available through Amazon or the Amazon Prime service, so shipping it directly through their website would cost me as much as a Tenrai pendent, or if shipped in a timely manner, buying a full-fledged 12-hole ocarina by Focalink/Stein. (Their basic glazed models in the $40-60 range.) If there was an ocarina store in my state, I would be a regular customer!

That's prohibitively high for me right now, especially without a sound sample. I'm also concerned these mini ocarinas might be difficult to play in-tune like the cheaper alternatives are on Amazon. (Which is likely due to poor tuning, in those cases.) Not that it's physically impossible to have a miniature playable ocarina, I've seen it done before.
Edited by LillyDragon, 13 Feb 2017, 03:36 AM.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Yeah, I really wish they would put it on amazon too. And same about the ocarina store, I spend hours just looking at ocs online sometimes. I might take the risk and get one in the future; if I do, I'll definitely post about it on TON

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
I know the feeling; accidentally spent all the ideal practice time I had yesterday searching for an affordable, ceramic Focalink alto C ocarina on Amazon I wound up not ordering. $49 is not bad for a basic glazed model, way better than settling for an OcarinaWind model. (But as of the plastic/ceramic discussion, I realized it would still be a functionally pointless purchase.)

Maybe I could contact STL on social media DMs/email if they would consider stocking the mini-ocarina on Amazon? It'd be nice to take the risk of buying one without a hefty shipping fee. However, I don't know if that would be practical for them, stores like eBay come with fees, so I guess we'll see.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Well looks like I'm adding another 5 ocs into my small dorm room by this weekend or next week! Ocs in soprano F, soprano D, alto A, alto Bb, and alto E.

linkondorf
Member Avatar
Beginner
Here it goes my humble ocarina ''collection''. I just got a new one yesterday and I felt like joining the community finally.

- Focalink Stein Alto C
- Calliope (Yurae?) Soprano C
- Aketa Soprano F ''R''

Posted Image

By the way, could someone tell me how to open new threats? I don't know why my screen shows error everytime I try to open one. Thanks! :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Optimized_unspecified__1___1__opt.jpg (27.44 KB)
Edited by linkondorf, 16 Feb 2017, 04:14 PM.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
The ice crackled glaze on your alto is pretty! I have a similar glaze on my Alto seedpod, and I love it. Your Calliope reminds me of the Yamaha ocarinas I saw on Amazon as well.

(As for your question, you need more than five posts to edit your signature and make new topics. So you'll get those privileges very soon.)

Instead of another ocarina, I bought an Alto F Recorder Flute instead. The more I think about it, I realize I don't need any more ocarinas than the three I already have, at least until I'm good enough to perform with them. (For instance, around the bonfire with family, playing in the garage with other people, etc.) Once I am, I'll have all the reasons I need to stock up on Tenrai pendents, transverse tenors, altos and sopranos in G, double chamber ocarinas, etc.

So for now, I ordered a set of musician's earplugs on Amazon for my lizard-green Focalink soprano. The ones I've ordered don't sound ideal for drumming, but these should lower sounds about 20 decibels. Gotta stay away from the threshold of pain if I want to keep my hearing.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Great collection! I want to get a Aketa soprano C 13 hole.

I wish I had that mentality Lily, I just keep on buying new ocs to fill keys I don't have.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
I know the feeling, Jordan. Almost fell into the same trap Ambiibo owners usually do, which is collecting whole sets. As much as I would like to have a wide range of keys to play in, I only want as many as I functionally need as a musician, and right now, I can't justify buying more than what I've got. That will change in time, however, when I have the disposable income for these kinds of things.

As well, I contacted STL via email about their mini ocarinas. Their site says they aim to respond within 48 hours, so we'll see what comes of it. I won't persist beyond that if there's no response; few things are more annoying to people than incessant nagging.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Good luck with that XD Please report if you get anything!

linkondorf
Member Avatar
Beginner
The crackled one it's a pretty common finish on the focalink's I think. It was my first real ocarina and for what I payed and how it sounds it was a real bargain. It even came with an awesome case where I can feet the alto and another soprano. As for the Calliope, for what I read here it looks like a Noble. I tried to find more out about the brand and why the strap it came with it says Calliope but on the ocarina is carved with ''Yurae'' but there isn't much information even in TON. Pretty wierd.

I have to control myself a bit too not to buy an ocarina every one or two months, but as lily said I don't want to fall on the trap (Specially now that I am short on money and nintendo switch and new Zelda are in here the corner...). I even felt a littly bit guilty for buying my last ocarina this week, but I always wanted an Aketa and a F soprano. I could try it and compare with others in the shop and instantly fell in love with its sound. I felt on the trap. But I guess that for one time is allright.

Amazing collection Jordan by the way. You must have invested a lot. If I am adding something new this year it is deffinetly going to be a local maker one from Budrio. I definetly want to go this year since it is only a day away by car from where I live.
Edited by linkondorf, 17 Feb 2017, 03:36 PM.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Awesome! Yeah, I've invested a bit but a majority of my collection are gifts. I've only paid for the Focalink DAC, STLs (except Fire SG), Songbird Seedpod and pendant SG, cup, Tenrai SA 8h, and Fiehn A 2 1/2. (less than half of my collection)

CFWhitman
Initiate
I certainly don't have an ocarina in all the keys available. However, at the moment I am more interested in acquiring instruments that cover ranges I can't cover now. I've been roped into playing with a group of people on various instruments and it is useful to try to play some of the ranges that are missing on various pieces. Right now, I'm looking to get what most makers call a contrabass C and a bass G. By what I've gathered, the Gosselink ocarinas in this range might be my best option. I need to be ready to spend the money, though.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Just received these today and felt like sharing since I haven't seen anyone talk about these on TON. Definitely interesting and unique ocarinas that have a fingering style similar to that of an inline but reversed. I just got them so I don't know if they are capable of playing sharps and flats easily through something like half-holing (fingering charts only include diatonic notes). Big shell is alto A, small shell is soprano D, and acorn is in soprano F. Feel free to ask questions!

Posted Image
Edited by jordan.1210, 18 Feb 2017, 10:21 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Where did you get the nautilus shell ocarinas, Jordan? Can you post a video of your playing them once you get familiar with the fingering? I'd love to hear how they sound and maybe even order one myself. :)

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Here's where I got the last three: MasterTar on Etsy

I think they have sound samples there but I'll try to record some when I have time.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
Something tangentially related to my collection: A set of musician's earplugs I now keep chained to my soprano ocarina. These seem like a good brand; I could play the soprano comfortably for about 20 minutes without any pain. It felt nice to play it at full breath without holding back, like before.

I love my ocarinas, but I like not risking tinnitus too, so these are nice.

"jordan.1210"

Good luck with that XD Please report if you get anything!

After waiting three days, I haven't heard anything. Either I typed my email address wrong, they saw it and forgot to reply, didn't see it, or don't have anything they can confirm yet. Any of those things can happen with a company email, so I don't think much of it. So odds are, I'm getting the ocarina when they post a sample demo video, or I save up enough money that the price tag doesn't matter. If the latter, I'd post a sample on YouTube so people can have an idea what of what they're getting.

"linkondorf"

I have to control myself a bit too not to buy an ocarina every one or two months, but as lily said I don't want to fall on the trap (Specially now that I am short on money and nintendo switch and new Zelda are in here the corner...). I even felt a littly bit guilty for buying my last ocarina this week, but I always wanted an Aketa and a F soprano. I could try it and compare with others in the shop and instantly fell in love with its sound. I felt on the trap. But I guess that for one time is allright.

There's a shop in your local area that sells ocarinas? That's pretty awesome. I'd love it if the music stores around here would at least keep stock of STL and Focalink Ocarinas. Although in that case, I might bump into the same temptations you face; it's hard to resist.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
I wish there was a shop nearby that sells ocarinas! I live in California so I'm relatively close to Songbird and Tenrai. But they're at least an 6 hour drive. My relatives live in LA though and I'm going to try to visit Songbird on Monday

CFWhitman
Initiate
Those shell ocarinas look interesting, but I still don't really have English pendant fingering down. I don't think I'm ready to tackle a third fingering system.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
It's not really a new fingering style. It's basically the 10 hole system but in the opposite order. (I've had pendants for over a year now and I still don't have the pendant system down, missing the flats)
Edited by jordan.1210, 20 Feb 2017, 03:44 PM.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
The pendent system isn't too hard. When I first got my pendent, I organized a quick finger chart for myself that I felt was more readable, then practiced the scales daily, alongside playing songs with sharps/flats that I already could with my twelve-hole ocarina. Still needed time for the muscle memory to work its magic, though. There might be ways to make practice more effective, but there's no shortcut for practicing itself.

On a possibly related note, how does everybody accessorize or personalize their ocarinas? I recently ordered matching shoestrings for my plastic alto, since the original string tore; shoestrings are far more durable, so I'm pretty happy with it. Thought about stickers too, since it's plastic, but those wouldn't last long, given how often I wash this ocarina.

Posted Image

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
I just added two pendant ocarinas to my collection after my visit to Songbird Ocarina! I got to meet and talk with Mr. Songbird and he helped explain the pendant system to me! I can't wait for the next time I can visit. Pictures of the pendants below!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: image.jpeg (48.84 KB)
Edited by jordan.1210, 21 Feb 2017, 02:02 AM.

BigC
Member Avatar

Posted Image

My new STL 12 Hole Zelda Ceramic ocarina and my wife's 1st STL 6 Hole Ceramic ocarina!!!

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
I received something very special in the mail today! Had my heart set on a soprano G ocarina for some time, so I finally got to order SongBird's Vivo Soprano G, and I'm loving it right now. It's so adorably small; every little sound from it steals my heart as I play.

Posted Image

Unless I find more ocarina players in my area, who want to play with me in other keys than C or G, (And I have met a player recently! Two, in-fact.) I don't see a functional need in collecting more ocarinas for the moment. As much as I'd like more of them, I would never get around to buying other types of instruments if I wanted enough ocarinas to complete my key range. So, maybe I'll only order more as needed in the future. Maybe. :grin:

BigC
Member Avatar

Posted Image

My first STL Double Ocarina, Legend of Zelda Ceramic!!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pictures · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ