Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Etsy Seller: ForestFolkOcarinas; Formerly known as Horizon Flutes
Topic Started: 22 Nov 2012, 11:20 PM (8,776 Views)
Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Found these little ocarinas while browsing Etsy and they're pretty cool. Thought I'd share, I don't think they're mentioned anywhere else on TON.

Link to Etsy Shop
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
His ocs and clay flutes sound pretty nice, and his prices are decent too. I'll hafta remember this shop for later :)

geotjakra
Member Avatar
EpiCai Ocarina Maker
I like his mushroom ocarina:
mushroom ocarina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHX8ZTGjpbc&feature=relmfu
Edited by geotjakra, 23 Nov 2012, 02:16 AM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Nice find! Those ocarinas are lovely :)

I like his double harmony! :D

horizonflutes
7 yr Ocarina Maker

Thank You all for the wonderful comments. :) and for introducing me to TON i had never heard of it before. Contact me at horizonflutes@gmail.com or through etsy.com I make custom ocarinas flutes and drums. I also offer package deals for multiple purchases. My goal is to provide quality instruments at a good price. Thanks again to you all. Peace to you. -Sean-

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

I would like to purchase one of your ocarinas tuned to the Native American flutes (minor). I would have bought one last night if it was available. Please pm me when you get one ready, and I'll purchase it from you. I may even get one of your small four hole ocarinas if you give me a good price on the two ( :D ). I like the sound of your ocarinas, and I believe in supporting new makers.

Roger

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

I'll likely be placing an order, too, sometime after the holidays. You make lovely instruments!

Welcome to TON. :D

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Wow! I love the sound on the harmony double. I'm definitely going to keep it in mind for the future. :)

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
I really wouldn't mind owning one of the harmony doubles...

Ayuna
Member Avatar
Amateur Ocarinist
Such lovely sounding ocarinas! Definitely on my future consideration list!

craftymadeleine
Member Avatar
waster of money on pretty ocarinas
I want the minor native american scale oc :) Anyone know what he charges?

Ayuna
Member Avatar
Amateur Ocarinist
Yeah a price list would be great (and the costs for international shipping too :))

horizonflutes
7 yr Ocarina Maker

I just put more ocarinas on my etsy today! and more are coming. Come check them out got a few new pentatonic minor (native american scale) ones, a middle eastern, a pentatonic major, a more :) thanks again to all of you for your support my love goes out to you all. by the way the more ocs you buy at once the cheaper they get contact me for package deals :) check out this one it was one of my favorites until i sold it :( but it has a happy home now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIDw1ZyGsg4&feature=plcp

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Welcome to TON, horizonflutes!

horizonflutes
7 yr Ocarina Maker

really small like the size of a dollar coin are 20-25
regular small pendants are 25$
medium pendants or native american flute scale spike shaped ones are around 30$
larger around the size of a ripe pear are around 35-40$
Super bass ones around the size of a softball are around 40-50$
double chamber harmony or drone ones usually tuned to C and G are 50-60$ (which is a steal from what i have researched on double chamber ocarinas)
large bass doubles are 60-100 depending of size.
triple chambered harmony which consists of 2 chambers tuned in 5ths to harmonize with eachother and one drone chamber that plays the base note in the background (i have only made 2 of these) go for about 150-200$
i have to do more research on the cost of shipping internationaly and i will post the prices and i will be changin my etsy shop to ship worldwide soon hopefully just gotta figure out the prices. I do not charge extra for shipping so whatever UPS or the Post office says it cost is what you will be charged. :)
also send me a friend request on facebook i am always posting my work in my "ocarinas" album and i have a good amount of pictures of my work up there. www.facebook.com/horizonflutes :)
Edited by horizonflutes, 26 Nov 2012, 10:19 PM.

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

I've been wanting a harmony double, but not been sure I'd be able to play it well enough to justify the cost. Yours are reasonable enough to give it a shot. Your other instruments are lovely, as well. You'll get an order from me in the next couple of weeks. :)

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

horizonflutes, I sent you a PM. Check your TON inbox. :)

Jubal
Member Avatar

I really appreciate that a sound sample comes with each ocarina before purchase. That's really awesome. :)

RJ924
Member Avatar

I like that also, but I don't think he will be able to keep doing it if his business takes off (and I hope it does). It is great to make money doing what you love to do.
RJ

RJ924
Member Avatar

I bought his ney ocarina and his talon ocarina. I just got them from the states today. They are very fun to play, and are excellent ocarinas for meditation or relaxation. I put quite a bit of time into them already, and I can't seem to play a bad tune on them (because of the tuning). I am hoping to buy one of his mushroom flutes next. I sent him a message on etsy. Personally, I think his ocarinas are much better than the Terry Riley ocarinas that I have purchased (not that Terry's ocarinas are bad).
RJ

Jubal
Member Avatar

I like the harmony double he has up right now. A cool ocarina would be a bass in a middle eastern scale. :)

Prairie Wolf
Member Avatar
I'm convinced dogs unfurl their wings when we are not looking!
Cool beans! I just discovered this thread - and Horizon Flutes - neato! I will have to check them out. That mushroom ocarina is nice and the glaze on the others is gorgeous, the sounds of the ones I've heard on the videos are quite pleasing.

RJ924
Member Avatar

I requested a mushroom ocarina from him today. I would also like a deeper sounding ocarina from him. I requested a six hole, but the middle eastern scale would be awesome on a lower tuned (larger) ocarina. I'm really impressed with the two that I own. They are easy to play, are very clear, and are well tuned. He seems to strive for excellence in his instruments.
RJ

RJ924
Member Avatar

We have been building my house, and it is near completion. My house is made from block and cement, and it creates a wonderful echo in an empty room. I was playing my ney (Egyptian tuned) ocarina in my empty living room last night, and the echo gave it the most delightfully mysterious sound. I played it for about 30 minutes and wished I had my recording setup. I don't know how to properly play the ney scale, but it seems like it is very difficult to get a bad sound out of the ocarina.
RJ

ZultanQ
Member Avatar
Polish Winged Hussar
Just requested a harmony double, he said it should be done in about a week.

Thus the excitement and checking of mailboxes will ensue :jumpy:

RJ924
Member Avatar

Here is a recording of my Ney-tuned ocarina that I purchased from Horizon Flutes. It's a lot of fun to play. No reverb was added to the video, and this is the raw, unaltered file with some pictures of the ocarina.
Roger

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Woah, RJ, that's beautiful. Now I want one of those c:

Ayuna
Member Avatar
Amateur Ocarinist
RJ924
12 Dec 2012, 05:33 AM
I requested a mushroom ocarina from him today. I would also like a deeper sounding ocarina from him. I requested a six hole, but the middle eastern scale would be awesome on a lower tuned (larger) ocarina. I'm really impressed with the two that I own. They are easy to play, are very clear, and are well tuned. He seems to strive for excellence in his instruments.
RJ
A deeper sounding middle eastern scale ocarina sounds awesome :) and thanks for posting the video.

I was chatting with Sean about getting a custom flute, but I haven't heard back in a while :(

horizonflutes
7 yr Ocarina Maker

Ayuna sorry for the bad communication on my part I cleared all my emails and lost your email address please message me again. :)
Btw Roger I love the video! You make that oc sound wonderful I am so glad that you are enjoying it and I know you will like what I am sending you next the deeper toned six hole is sounding sweet :) just gotta glaze.
Edited by horizonflutes, 18 Dec 2012, 06:13 AM.

geotjakra
Member Avatar
EpiCai Ocarina Maker
I'm looking forward to getting my Arabian scale, and harmony double.

That sounds great RJ, but what exactly is Ney tuning?

RJ924
Member Avatar

A Ney flute is an Egyptian flute that is end blown. It is difficult to play. This ocarina gives the same scale in an easy to play oc.

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
As a side note, the ney - also spelled as nay - isn't just Egyptian. It actually has it's roots in Persia if I'm not mistaken, and is played throughout the Middle East. It's a really beautiful-sounding instrument. It's really hard to learn the correct embouchure for it, and it's common for beginners to take months (sometimes even years) to get a note out of it. I really really want one!

(Can you tell how much I love the nay? ;) )

horizonflutes
7 yr Ocarina Maker

The scale I tuned that ocarina to is called modified ney I got it from Erik the flute maker he is so epic :) all his exotic scale bamboo flutes inspired my ocarinas a lot

geotjakra
Member Avatar
EpiCai Ocarina Maker
Yes Erik is a great flute maker and I admire his ministry for good cause. got his Cascabel set recently and been enjoying his flutes.

RJ924
Member Avatar

Talking about Erik? i bought an Irish whistle from him that is my favorite. I also purchased a concert-tuned flute in G that sounded beautiful. I wound up giving that away to a flute player that just adored it. I have been eyeballing his Quenas lately. On a side note, I have a mast and spar for a sailboat that came from his grove also.
RJ

RJ924
Member Avatar

I just heard from Sean at Horizon Flutes, and he told me that the two ocarinas I ordered from him are ready to ship. It didn't take him long to make these ocarinas, and he told me the pear sized one sounds GREAT. I am looking forward to getting them. You can see them below. I love the look of the mushroom ocarina, and the color of both of them is stunning (IMO). Thanks Sean!
Posted Image
Posted Image
I forgot to mention that these are both tuned to the chromatic scale. I'm already planning my next order.
RJ
Edited by RJ924, 21 Dec 2012, 07:35 PM.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I also heard back from Sean. My triple harmony is done. :)

RJ924
Member Avatar

Cool! I hope you will record some music with it. Do you have any pictures yet?
RJ

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

No, he didn't provide any photos, but he did provided 3 designs to choose from. This is the one I selected.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: triple_harmony.jpg (83.87 KB)
Edited by Wollemi Pine, 21 Dec 2012, 10:37 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Interesting design, Wollemi. It looks more managable than a huaca. What does the middle chamber do? I notice it just has one fingerhole. So would it mostly act as a drone?

RJ924
Member Avatar

I also like the looks of that. I'm looking forward to see the final product.
RJ

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Yes, the middle chamer is a drone. In one sense, similar to my triple Huaca, where one of the chambers is a drone.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. You need to record one, Wollemi. Pretty please? :)

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I was just talking with Sean, and discovered we had a miscommunication on which design would be used for the triple harmony, and he ended up making it with the compact design. He put up a video of it, and I like the sound of it, so I'm still going to get this one. Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBoXyE4T3s

horizonflutes
7 yr Ocarina Maker

Quick sample of triple harmony www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBoXyE4T3s

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ