Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Skwishee's Sea of Stuff; I like to do things....
Topic Started: 18 Nov 2012, 07:14 PM (4,764 Views)
Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Hello, hello!
So I love the community here :D So thought I would share some of my art work! Umm I am a bit of a 'dabbler' so I flit between different mediums depending on my mood.....

So I like to draw... paint... colour... sew... make... anything and everything I can get my hands on really :D

Sooo examples of stuff (Let me know if the images fail):

Felt Cowfish!

Oh Hai Kraken!

Jellyfish!

Mr Lionfish! (He is very little, in real life he is A3)

Annnnnnd yeah.... I like art.... I draw too but don't seem to have any good drawings around on the computer or internet.... Occasionally dabble with clay.... Hope you guys like it :D

I am hoping to perhaps venture into decorating ocarina's some time, as that seems like it could be fun :D
Edited by Skwishee, 18 Nov 2012, 07:15 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ayuna
Member Avatar
Amateur Ocarinist
I love the cow fish, he is so cute! I do embroidery myself and I would like to learn to sew plushies... I have trouble with the 'joining stitch (I forget it's name, but you use it on the octopus' legs!).

Robert Hickman
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

Mr Lionfish looks beautiful, would love to see a bigger picture of that painting.

Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
The kraken is awsome ^.^

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Ayuna
18 Nov 2012, 08:02 PM
I love the cow fish, he is so cute! I do embroidery myself and I would like to learn to sew plushies... I have trouble with the 'joining stitch (I forget it's name, but you use it on the octopus' legs!).
The joining stitch I use on all my felt, because it doesn't need a seam, is called -I believe- a whip stitch :)
What is it about the stitch you find trouble with? Perhaps I can help!

I love embroidery, I gave it a go, but I'm a bit slow with all the knots and twisting and turning :o French knots still elude me even now! I have a cross stitch that I've been doing for ages now as I pick up and do bits every now and then its slowly getting there, but now a massive part of the whole thing needs french knots... I am very tempted to use beads instead because I'm hopeless with french knots especially with only one thread! I can barely do it with 3 or 6 threads lol!

Thanks for the kind words everyone :*

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Well as Madeleine has received her parcel, it's safe to leave this here ;)

Secret Santa!

More information about this gift can be found in Zeros thread :) Zeros Secret Santa Un-boxing Thread
Edited by Skwishee, 1 Jan 2013, 07:23 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Kickin' it like all the cool hedgies do
Aww, the Kraken is sooo cute! :) I love him!

And that's a beautiful present for Madeleine. You have a gift for this, Skwishee! :D Keep it up!

*wonders if you have an Etsy account :? *
Edited by Jill theredhedgehog, 2 Jan 2013, 01:14 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I want to see a picture of you playing your hedgehog ocarina, Jillian. It's so cute! :)

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
I'm hoping to open an Etsy account sometime this year Red :) It's something I've been meaning to do for ages!
In fact with hedgehogs you might appreciate a little pincushion I once made ;) Although I kinda felt bad stabbing it with needles so it's a retired pin cushion now :D

Shaymin

Also here's a better view of the Maparam bag :3
Maparam Bag Close Up

With Etsy it's just a case of getting together what products I'm going to make first... I have quite a few ideas and prototypes of things around! :D But hopefully I can get a little something put together this year :)

P.s. the present was for Madeleine not Melody ;)
Edited by Skwishee, 1 Jan 2013, 10:44 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
@ Pandorado: Soon, my lady! Promise! :D

@ Skwishee: That's wonderful! I would gladly support you whenever you get an Etsy :D Just be sure to let us know. And wow... lol my bad! Fixing!! :)

MiniYabber
Member Avatar
I'm a dude.
Woah! Skwishee I'm a fan! :D That's really cool!! I love your felt cowfish C: oh and the shaymin and maparam bag a LOT .-. I'm looking forward to your potential etsy shop! :) Thanks for sharing your creations :3

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Aww thanks guys, your feedback means a lot to me! :blush: :hug:

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Skwishee, you truly have such a great talent! You are blessed with gifted hands. :3

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
That's so kind of you to say Suki thank you! :D

I'm hoping to get an Etsy store up at some point, a little busy with various things, but hopefully I can get my head down and get some planning and things done! :fly:
Edited by Skwishee, 6 Jan 2013, 06:01 PM.

Winged Messenger
Member Avatar
The player of everything but brass.
Those are so good! :jumpy: I bet you could make ocarinas like that too!

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
Still drooling over the adorable kraken :rofl: I can't wait to see more of your awesome creations, Swishee :)

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Red I am contemplating finalising the kraken pattern (the one I made was a prototype and needs some alteration) and having them as one of my products to sell ;)

I think the same goes for some of the fish I've made... Ocarina bags, I assume I would need to get permission if I were to make ones based on specific designs? i.e. an aria ocarina bag and such forth, but I think generic transverse shapes and vessel flute shapes are a definite possibility :)

I also make little felt cakes, so these might appear as well, once I have some more flavour designs put together :D

Little Cake

Thanks for all the support everyone :)

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Those jellyfish would make a superb textile print design. Have you thought of trying to sell your stuff to the textile biz?

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Ah my Jellyfish are an illustration from Uni, I had considered making them a wall paper and did once start to collate them as a repetitive design across an A1 page, I never finished it because it just murdered my eyes XD

But I hadn't thought of approaching textile companies, as it's the only design like it I've ever really done, but I'll keep it in mind.... perhaps a series of fish related patterns (I've been wanting to do just their patterns for a while).... I will add it to my already rather long list of arty things to do, thanks for the idea Jack :D
Edited by Skwishee, 7 Jan 2013, 10:26 PM.

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
I agree with Jack about the textile pattern idea. It would make a lovely curtain, for example.

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Aw thanks Endalion :)

I mentioned your suggestions to my boyfriend and he was saying I should make a dress out of my jellyfish fabric, so perhaps if I find a fabric printers one day I shall do just that :D

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Skwishee
9 Jan 2013, 10:24 PM
Aw thanks Endalion :)

I mentioned your suggestions to my boyfriend and he was saying I should make a dress out of my jellyfish fabric, so perhaps if I find a fabric printers one day I shall do just that :D
I was thinking your jellyfish design would be perfect for a shower curtain, and maybe a matching bathroom collection with patterned window curtain, contour rug and floor mat.

Martha Stewart would be so jealous. :)

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Thats a great idea Pandorado! I do a lot of fish related things, so bathrooms could be a market to aim for in the future!

I have managed to find a digital textile printer online http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/new?create=fabric

So maybe later this year I can have a jellyfish dress after all :D My house mate is good at making clothes (I do better with small things) so I might ask her :) I think it would also be fun to have products such as wallets and bags with my very own designed fabric, so thanks for the idea guys! :D
Edited by Skwishee, 10 Jan 2013, 02:54 PM.

craftymadeleine
Member Avatar
waster of money on pretty ocarinas
Wow, great job Skwishee!

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Well this was my other secret santa gift, however it's been over a month and it hasn't showed up at the recipients house... It's gotten lost in the post somewhere.... But I do still have the patterns so re-making it in the future will be fine, I am just a little gutted one of my babies is missing.... (My projects are like children to me, as they take a lot of time to do and I grow very fond of them!).

Secret Santa 2

Edited by Skwishee, 12 Jan 2013, 12:14 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
gosh darn it! That's so cute, Swishee. I hope it turns up someday. It would be a shame for it to be lost forever. :(

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Thanks Pandorado :) I'm declaring it lost and hoping the post office will find it somewhere... I like to think the bag itself is magical and keeps playing the song of time, transporting itself back 3 days.... this is why it's taking so long to arrive....

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Also has anyone here ever watched Azu Manga Dai Oh? :)
In case you haven't this is one of the clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFBZBAbbKt8

The english dub of the same scene is funny as well XD Can't find a clip of it, but basically father cat comes in saying 'Hello every meoow' and then the girl says he looks like Bill Clinton XD Either way I fell in love with the random imaginary Father Cat that occasionally pops up in the series and had to have one of my own :D

Father Cat

Edited by Skwishee, 15 Jan 2013, 12:33 PM.

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
In the words of Monty Python.....

Now for something completely different

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Good grief. It looks like that ocarina has a teardrop tattoo.

Now there's a theme for ocarina decoration - spiderwebs anyone? Maybe it would dramatize the image of the ocarina if you could get them decorated to match the facial tattoos of noted hoodlums? Perhaps you could get the Songbird harmony ocarina labelled with LOVE and HATE on each body? For really ambitious designs, something modelled on the Yakuza?

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Somebody must play a blue/green deck. ;)

AsaHoshi
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Haha! I prefer red/green myself. Seeing the backside with a teardrop under an "eye" kind of reminded me of Hisoka from HunterxHunter. I suddenly think that owning a Hisoka themed one would be really cool. How about a Hao Asakura one? (Shaman King) Inyou no Chigiri is played with a wooden flute but I think we can play it with an ocarina xD

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Thanks for the comments guys :) Will have to google some of the stuff you guys have mentioned (I have no idea what some of you are referring to XD).

The image is the Simic Guild, as Magic have been doing a Return to Ravnica block, Gatecrash is pre-released next weekend, where I will be playing Simic (blue/green) and Dimir (blue/black) and wearing my ocarina :)
Plus out of all the guilds, Simic's is the prettiest to look at :D At the previous pre-release I played Selsneya (green/white), in fact originally I was going to paint the selsneya symbol on the ocarina instead, but it doesn't really lend itself to items with holes very well.
Posted Image

It was also pretty funny when I just had the blue mana symbol painted, Ocarina Man looked sad
Posted Image
Edited by Skwishee, 20 Jan 2013, 12:44 PM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I had to google too. I guess "Magic: the Gathering" is an MMRPG like World of Warcraft?

For the criminal underworld connection I just have to go to the supermarket, there's a woman who usually shops there at the same time as me who has two teardrop tattoos. I haven't asked her who they're for.

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Magic the Gathering is a trading card game :)

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Jack Campin
20 Jan 2013, 01:48 PM
I had to google too. I guess "Magic: the Gathering" is an MMRPG like World of Warcraft?
It is a collectible card game.

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
My design for Mr Dreambirth's latest contest :)
You will begin to notice over time there is a errrrrr slight fishy theme to my work ;) I've had this ocarina design in my head for a while now :)

Ocarina Design

Heavily tempted to make an ocarina bag using this design.....

Because of this I've also been thinking about ordering another un-glazed ocarina from Terry Riley and painting fish all over it...... I will get a lionfish painted on to an ocarina some day!

Oh also Kelfox's present I posted earlier (the zelda oc bag with charms) did actually arrive safely in the end :D Yay happy endings!
Edited by Skwishee, 30 Jan 2013, 12:32 PM.

AsaHoshi
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Ha! I knew that one was yours! I just had a feeling..
*coughjellyfishcough*

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Ahahaha you can always tell it's me, if there is something sea related :D

In fact I am mighty tempted to have a fish related logo of some kind when I finally get my buisness on a roll.....

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
The fingerholes look like they are curving to the wrong direction in your design, Skwishee.

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Ah darn it, I didn't realise, shall add that to my description for reference, thanks Endalion!
I only own one 11-hole, so I'm not very familiar with the layouts of transverse :facepalm:
Edited by Skwishee, 31 Jan 2013, 11:09 AM.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

The Kraken is adorable.

Skwishee
Member Avatar
Ocarina Fish Lady
Hello everyone! This week I made some dragons! Yay!
Thanks for your kind comment Wollemi :D

My dragons even feature in a little article I wrote; http://www.cymruculture.co.uk/featuredarticles_84744.html

Here Be Dragons

The red and white dragon appear in various myths and legends throughout Wales. The most famous of these stories being that of Llud and Llefelys and the Dragons of Dinas Emrys :) Which in a nutshell the following happens;

In Llud and Llefelys, two dragons are fighting and cause havoc to a town, eventually a solution is decided and King Llud tricks the dragons, by filling a pit with mead and covering it with cloth, the dragons caught in the cloth are buried and left in their slumber.

In the Dragons of Dinas Emrys, Vortigern a warlord of the 5th century, is trying to build a fort, but it's nigh impossible because the foundations are constantly being disturbed. He seeks advice from the great wizard Merlin, who suggests digging deeper to find the cause of the problem and low and behold, they find two dragons sleeping who awaken, and once more begin to fight.
This time the Red dragon looks almost beat, but manages to win the fight against the White Dragon. Merlin explains to Vortigern that the Red Dragon represents Wales and the White Dragon represents the Saxons, showing that one day Wales will push the Saxons out of Britain.

St Davids Day was yesterday and so with the Welsh flag everywhere, I thought it was fun how my dragons and article tied in with it at the same time ^_^
Edited by Skwishee, 2 Mar 2013, 02:18 PM.

Jill theredhedgehog
Member Avatar
CUTE!! :D Tee hee, I think I also had a suspicion that ocarina design was yours ;) it's very good!

ravenfeather
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Aaaaaaaw, LOVE those dragons - look at those cute, deadly teeth! :love: They're really adorable! Do they play the ocarina, too?

Oh, and the article is really interesting as well! Soooooo I see someone here's into mythology? Good to know, hehe.
Edited by ravenfeather, 2 Mar 2013, 03:00 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Artisan Crafts · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ