Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ocarina Tab Font
Topic Started: 6 Nov 2012, 02:36 PM (3,664 Views)
RokedBeGeshem
Member Avatar
Dancer by Day, Ninja by Night
So, the STL tab composer frustrates me a bit. It's difficult to get a clean image from it (because it's watermarked). There's no option to save unless you print to PDF (which marks it up more). Because of this, I (and others) usually use screen capture to save tabs, but this is irritating, and then you can't change the blue background color without some effort. There's also no option for 10 hole or 8 hole ocs. Add to this that I don't like the shape of the graphic, and I sometimes use alternate fingerings, and I'm pretty fed up with it.

All STL's tab composer is is a web hosted icon font. I've made a similar font, which you can download from this post, and use to save STL tabs in document form - for ease of use, I used the same character representation that STL's font uses, though not the same graphics - Hopefully this will also allow for easier editing, longer lines of music, etc. Just copy and paste from STL's composer, and then put it into the correct font. Only works in caps. The characters are given in the image below - V, W, and X are alternate fingerings for C#, D#, and d#, respectively.

Character Map

I am considering either creating another three fonts, for Japanese-styled 12 holes, 10 holes, and 8 holes, but only if other people express interest in such a resource. I don't know if anyone else will find this useful at all... -.-; But it makes me happy. :D
Attached to this post:
Attachments: ocarinat12.zip (16.03 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
That's very nice of you to come up with something like this. I generally write my own tabs from sheet music but hand writing tabs for transverse ocarina is a PITA compared to 6 hole tabs. This is going to make things much easier for me. :)

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
This is an excellent idea, thanks for this! :D

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Awesome Idea! You should totally do it! :3

aniki91344
Member Avatar
up up down down left right left right B A start
Sweet, this makes things MUCH easier! You rock!

Ayuna
Member Avatar
Amateur Ocarinist
This is great and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for right now. Thank you for making it!

RokedBeGeshem
Member Avatar
Dancer by Day, Ninja by Night
I'm glad you guys will find it useful :) clearly my graphic design days in highschool werent a waste haha
Edited by RokedBeGeshem, 8 Nov 2012, 09:24 AM.

Buntendo
Member Avatar
Beginner
Thank the Goddesses of Hyrule's Triforce for this! Just what I need!

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
I love it!

antiocles
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
Fairly new member here and though I've been lurking for a while I have not seen any other threads regarding fonts. I've some experience creating fonts and I'd like to make a high quality vector based TTF font (unless there aren't others available I've not seen yet). Couple of questions though:

1. Are there any other fonts out there?
2. The mapping seems a bit "sub optimal" on this one. If I do make one, should I follow this mapping? Seems to be purely to aid comparability with STL's web tool output.
3. Any other thoughts/things I should know before undertaking the task over the upcoming break?

Ledger Note
Member Avatar
Beginner
antiocles, did you ever create the scalable vector based version of this font? Thanks to the originator, RokedBeGeshem, and to you for any improvements you make. What a great idea.

antiocles
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
No, I ended up finding one somewhere that was good and didn't take the time. I don't use them myself so I didn't bother to note where it came from though.

bloody_albatross
Member Avatar
Beginner
Hi. I made this 12 hole ocarina tab editor yesterday: http://panzi.github.io/ocarina_tabs (example tabs: http://tinyurl.com/clocktown)
I might or might not improve it in the future. I also made the font (compatible to STL tab composer) and put it under the Open Font License. Any feedback on the font or tab editor?

Download fonts:

GitHub repository (for issue reports and pull requests): https://github.com/panzi/ocarina_tabs

Edit 1: Although looking at it now the holes are a bit small. Not that easy to recognize. Might rework the font.
Edit 2: Improved the font a bit and added a second variation.
Edited by bloody_albatross, 22 Mar 2016, 02:43 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Articles and Guides · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ