Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
TON Orientation Message possibility.
Topic Started: 2 Nov 2012, 02:49 AM (5,607 Views)
Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
So as i have stated i would like to start this orientation message to help reduce repetitiveness and of course have better informed beginners so they are able to understand and start with a well set orientation on the ocarina :}

This will help relieve confusion on many factors that are often associated with beginners end :} and on older members end when trying to identify a problem :}

My intention is for this to be as personal as possible and have it sent to everyone who from now on creates an account here on TON so they will always have access to it in their inbox or archive folder.

I am Ready to post this because i feel its on a great path and i do need help from all the members here on the forum. we want good facts and good information. and most of all we want to answer those questions when we began we found difficult to get answers to.

Anything we wish to add here let me know provide links to reviews,charts, images, etc etc so i can include them. Make your posts easy to understand please :}

withought further adieu the message:

Edited by Fred, 3 Nov 2012, 06:08 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

It's a nice little message. I like it. :thumbsup:

I'd leave out the makers/sellers part. We couldn't possibly be able to list them all.

Fred
Member Avatar
i only listed ones that would be fairly easy for a beginner to have quick access to :} in terms of sound quality reviews etc etc. still working on it.

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

I hope you don't mind, but I'm attaching an edited version to clean up the grammar. ;)

Spoiler: click to toggle

I'd also recommend a short glossary, to define terms such as "fipple," "windway," "transverse," etc.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I like how this is shaping up. I really wish the ocarina catalog were in better shape. We could then link people to that (or embed it on TON) so that people woudl have an immediate shopping assistant. It could also help people narrow their choices so when they ask which one to get, we already know what they're looking at.

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

What kind of work does the ocarina catalog need, Cris? Do you have a link to it? I have some free time coming up (taking a much-needed vacation from freelance work) and could spruce it up a bit. :)

Fred
Member Avatar
angiessa
2 Nov 2012, 03:42 AM
I hope you don't mind, but I'm attaching an edited version to clean up the grammar. ;)

Spoiler: click to toggle

I'd also recommend a short glossary, to define terms such as "fipple," "windway," "transverse," etc.

thanks!

yes my English skills are bad :p

but thank you this helps a TON! hehe no pun intended :p

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

Hehe, the pun made me chuckle, intended or not. ;)

Fred
Member Avatar
Ocarinadiva
2 Nov 2012, 03:49 AM
I like how this is shaping up. I really wish the ocarina catalog were in better shape. We could then link people to that (or embed it on TON) so that people woudl have an immediate shopping assistant. It could also help people narrow their choices so when they ask which one to get, we already know what they're looking at.
yea if we could spruce that up and somehow embed that in the message we could totally have that! :D i only wish Pacchioni wanted to be apart of that >.<

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

Another idea: There should be links to threads in which extremely common questions are asked. A link to one of the many "Which ocarina should I buy?" threads, along with "Single or double?" and some other common ones.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

angiessa
2 Nov 2012, 03:58 AM
Another idea: There should be links to threads in which extremely common questions are asked. A link to one of the many "Which ocarina should I buy?" threads, along with "Single or double?" and some other common ones.
Just give a short, concise answer to those type of questions. Some of those threads can get long. You don't want to overwhelm new users with too much info.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I think we should focus more on letting new members know what kind of questions we'll ask when they ask that question? Like:

Quote:

Looking for a new ocarina? What kind of music do you want to play? Do you have any examples of ocarina music that you like? Do you care about aesthetics or sound more? Have you played an instrument before? If so, which one(s)?

These questions will help community members personalize our recommendations. We're here to help. We really want you to be happy with the ocarina you get!
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 2 Nov 2012, 04:05 AM.

melodican
Member Avatar
Behold! 'Tis the flute of my people!

Could you use some pictures? It might help for visual learners if they could see the different types of ocarina you're talking about, as well as things like "fipple edge", etc.

Fred
Member Avatar
updated the original post with angiessa's contributions :}

As for common questions generate them here and ill add them :D ill keep working on this, and everyone in ton alongside me :D we will get this done! :D
of course james feel free to post pics ill add them :}
Edited by Fred, 2 Nov 2012, 04:07 AM.

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

Ocarinadiva
2 Nov 2012, 04:04 AM
I think we should focus more on letting new members know what kind of questions we'll ask when they ask that question? Like:

Quote:

Looking for a new ocarina? What kind of music do you want to play? Do you have any examples of ocarina music that you like? Do you care about aesthetics or sound more? Have you played an instrument before? If so, which one(s)?

These questions will help community members personalize our recommendations. We're here to help. We really want you to be happy with the ocarina you get!
Good point. That would be the only way to give them a concise answer, too - otherwise, there are too many variables and you'd wind up writing a book.

Melodican: Photos are a great idea!

Fred
Member Avatar
Ocarinadiva
2 Nov 2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:

for sure cris thanks! will add this for sure :}

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

melodican
2 Nov 2012, 04:05 AM
Could you use some pictures? It might help for visual learners if they could see the different types of ocarina you're talking about, as well as things like "fipple edge", etc.
I agree. Perhaps some pictures can be included that show the difference between what a transverse looks like compared to a pendant or an inline could help.

This is very nice of you to do this for new members Fred! Good work!

melodican
Member Avatar

fm12692
2 Nov 2012, 04:06 AM
of course james feel free to post pics ill add them :}
Well, I would, but I'd be doing it with my crappy cell phone camera. XP

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I have plenty of photos, but I worry that we might be providing TOO much information.

Maybe we should have a short message that links to a few different resources depending on what they want to see - kind of like an outline?

Fred
Member Avatar
we need someone who can make good vector drawings! to show the difference between transverse pendant and multichamber! this way we are not using any distributor/seller/makers images
Ocarinadiva
2 Nov 2012, 04:11 AM
I have plenty of photos, but I worry that we might be providing TOO much information.

Maybe we should have a short message that links to a few different resources depending on what they want to see - kind of like an outline?
good idea cris i'm using spoilers to condense the information so users really only see what they want to see and nothing else. that way we avoid the too much info thing. any thoughts on this?
Suki
2 Nov 2012, 04:08 AM
melodican
2 Nov 2012, 04:05 AM
I agree. Perhaps some pictures can be included that show the difference between what a transverse looks like compared to a pendant or an inline could help.

This is very nice of you to do this for new members Fred! Good work!
thanks suki! :} its just an idea that came up when i started to see lots of repetition in my postings
Edited by Fred, 2 Nov 2012, 04:15 AM.

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

I suggest a link to music theory learning resources, below the sheet music spoiler. Lypur's is the one I always recommend, but there are a couple of basic tutorials on David's channel, too.

Fred
Member Avatar
thanks angie :} thats a wonderful suggestion i thought i should include that :}

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but ever since you said you were creating this message for new TON members I kept thinking perhaps we could include a small video summarizing what TON has to offer as well in this thread. This way it adds a bit of personal touch, and the new-bees can feel more welcomed. But I dunno if that is a good idea... :shame:

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

Hm. As Cris said, we don't want to knock newbies over with too much information, but a video could be fun. Maybe a fun/silly collab that also tells about TON, that we could just link them to?

Fred
Member Avatar
i think that is a very welcoming gesture suki! :} i would say its a wonderful idea

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I would love to see a TON orientation video :rofl:

Fred
Member Avatar
well not an orientation video but a welcome to the family video :D

melodican
Member Avatar

In that case, we would need talkative people who don't mind being silly. I most humbly submit my name to this group if it happens. :3

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

Heh, me too. I even have a silly hat. Several silly hats, in fact. :D

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Aw... everyone is going to see my shy side. :blush:

But I'm glad everyone seems to be on board with this one!!!

Fred
Member Avatar
i would love if a group of people handled the video aspect ^.^

so i can focus on the written/image aspect :}
then we can combine our efforts ^.^ and create something great :}
Edited by Fred, 2 Nov 2012, 04:47 AM.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I am all for a very tongue in cheek - cheesy style video -kind of like the ones you watch when you start a new job. I think that would be awesome. It would let new members know that we don't take ourselves too seriously here.

Fred
Member Avatar
yay ^.^ seems like there is wide spread approval

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

Ocarinadiva
2 Nov 2012, 04:50 AM
I am all for a very tongue in cheek - cheesy style video -kind of like the ones you watch when you start a new job. I think that would be awesome. It would let new members know that we don't take ourselves too seriously here.
Yep, that's definitely what I thought when Suki suggested it too. Several of us could each have a part, explaining some aspect of TON or just talking about what we like most about the community. But definitely tongue-in-cheek. :D

melodican
Member Avatar

I can almost see it like an episode of "The Office". XD

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Hahahaha! I definitely agree! "The Office" kinda theme would totally rock! :D

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

fm12692

yay ^.^ seems like there is wide spread approval
It's a good idea, and a good way for members to work together. Kudos for suggesting it. :)

melodican

I can almost see it like an episode of "The Office". XD
LOL, that's not a bad idea. I was thinking we could do it in some character style. I'm all set to play Dirty Harry. :rofl:

Fred
Member Avatar
angie suki suggested it :}

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
It might make it a bit neater to further divide the Where to Buy section by continent using more spoilers. Or you could link to the threads listing makers by continent in the Regional Focus section.

Regional Focus
Americas
Asia
Europe

Although those lists aren't all quite finished yet. Also, the length might be a bit daunting for a newbie. You could make it a bit less daunting to mention who the more popular makers of each region are, but then that brings up the whole TON neutrality debate again... :S

melodican
Member Avatar

angiessa
2 Nov 2012, 04:56 AM
LOL, that's not a bad idea. I was thinking we could do it in some character style. I'm all set to play Dirty Harry. :rofl:
"Don't like the limited range and think you can handle a quad? Well, then you gotta ask yourself... do I feel lucky? Well... do ya, punk?!" XD

Fred
Member Avatar
i only listed makers that are easy to purchase from as in no real contact is needed you place your order it arrives at some point

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

fm12692
2 Nov 2012, 04:57 AM
angie suki suggested it :}
I meant the orientation message as a whole, not the video. But kudos to Suki for suggesting the video part! :D

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Not to distract from Fred's thread. Sorry Fred! I created a new thread where we can discuss the welcoming video. Thanks Fred for the inspiration! :)

Fred
Member Avatar
i am condensing the makers/sellers/etc list by including more spoiler toggles.
thank you suki, i assume you will be taking charge of it? :D and don't worry its all on topic! :D
Edited by Fred, 2 Nov 2012, 05:04 AM.

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

melodican
2 Nov 2012, 05:02 AM
angiessa
2 Nov 2012, 04:56 AM
"Don't like the limited range and think you can handle a quad? Well, then you gotta ask yourself... do I feel lucky? Well... do ya, punk?!" XD
LOL, I was going with something more like:

"I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did she play a pendant, or a transverse,' and I gotta be honest, I'm not so sure myself. So the question you gotta ask yourself is, 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

*takes a bow*

*exits, Stage Left*

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Articles and Guides · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ