Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
6th Street Pottery; Columbia, MO
Topic Started: 22 Jul 2008, 04:52 AM (12,039 Views)
Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Merged the topics
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Firetortoise
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
The next oc I am going to get is probably going to be a Sixth Street, he has been making them for a while, and I have heard he has them down to a perfection.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Just bumping this to say I just got my 6th Street from TheZ, and it's an awesome little ocarina! I'll be posting a review in the review section soon, but just wanted to give a shout-out to 6th Street.

Quick thoughts:

Nice loud sound that gets a little chiffy as you go up, but I wouldn't call it airy. Pretty high breath with a LOT of back pressure. I donno if his 12-holes are the same, but if so, those who have been looking for lots of back pressure, here you go. I feel like I'm playing a horn of some sort. It's very comfortable to hold, and just... very cute.

It feels kinda odd to play a glazed ocarina again XD

More in reviews later!

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Good to hear! I'll have to keep them in mind. :D

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Nice! What tuning did you get?

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Oh, oops! Forgot to mention that XD -- AC, 10 hole

bamadude313
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
That's nice to know about the high breath requirements, especially the back pressure. I love having a lot of back pressure on my ocarinas

Bryce
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
It was a nice ocarina, but I never used it. I'm glad it went to a home where it will get some play time.

Bryce
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Bump :)
--
I'm not sure how often you guys check out his site, but he's added some pretty cool things, including some face jugarinas, some 10 holes w/ floral sculpting, and a couple neat-looking Tenors.

Fallon
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I agree- there are some cool additions to his site. I saw these in person at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival. The sound and overall quality is great. I think the blue 10 hole Alto is really nice. The maker lives a couple of hours from me- and I've asked to visit his workshop, take photos, etc- to which he said he said he'd be happy to have me. We just have to set up a time. I'd be happy to create a thread about it once I've been there.

Bryce
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Wow, that's pretty cool, Fallon. Please share you experience when you do. I had a blue 10 hole, and I agree, it was nice.

Bryce
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Just thought I'd bump this topic. Chris has a lot of nice additions on his site, including an [url=www.sixthstreetocarina.com/collections/12-hole-japanese-style-ocarina/products/copy-of-12-hole-alto-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-1]improved OoT[/url], some raku-ed work, and some hand-thrown basses.
Edited by Bryce, 5 Dec 2013, 03:09 AM.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

Wow, the Raku fired ones are gorgeous!

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Those raku fired ones do look nice. I really like that Chris offers 10-hole ocarinas. I'll have to get one in F.
Edited by Mark Chan, 5 Dec 2013, 05:58 AM.

NiceCrocs
Transverse Ocarinist
Haha, I had no idea 6th Street Pottery was in Missouri. :giggle: turns out I live like, two hours away from him.

seadeatea
Member Avatar
Just this guy, you know?
Had no idea either. I have a friend in Columbia, and just sent him their website link, in case he ever feels like picking up an Oc.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Wow! He updates the site so sparsely most of the time, so this is just huge!

I like the green stone ones, not to mention the darker green ones. The raku ocarinas that are more pale, with the line through them, are all right. The others aren't exactly my cup of tea. I'm also glad to see that he has a new kaleidoscope one up for sale. Gonna have to start saving up for... well, something. But I've some time to decide that.

RCChick
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
I jus bought my first one, I can't wait to get it, I got the grey raku alto c. I'm glad u guys have been so positive it gives me hope that it will be a great addition to my collection. In the past I've only ever played 6 hole ocs and I'm jus starting to move on to 12 holes, so I'm having trouble containing my excitement. I've ordered so many ocs this week. Along with this 6th street oc I've also ordered the aria tenor and the soprano rupee as well as the green potion. I've also managed to get my hubby and his stepmum to want to play ocarina so have ordered him the elf and her the hobbit and my 17 month old daughter loves blowing into my extended sweet potato OoT ocarina so I've ordered her a lil plastic 6 hole so that I don't have to worry bout her breaking any of mine as she is obviously very interested in them.

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
I love the Raku Fired face ocs! Those things are wicked!

RCChick
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Thanks I think so too I'm super duper excited to get it now eeeeeek :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: image.jpg (161.72 KB)

foxinthestars
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Oh, wow! I was just browsing the forum and then I saw "Columbia, MO" --- I didn't realize I had an ocarina maker so close! I will have to look into this...

MasterOfKawaii
Member Avatar
Kinda okay...
I bought a 6th Street. The sound quality was pretty terrible...
Not only that, but I called the company and left a message and they never got back to me.

foxinthestars
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Can you be more specific? What kind of ocarina did you get from them, and in what way did it sound bad?

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
From my own experience, and what I've heard before... 6th Street ocarinas usually sound fine. I've never had a problem with the sound and haven't heard anything negative about it before, with the obvious exception (2 posts above this one). I think that it can sometimes sound a bit... restrained compared to other brands though. The quality isn't bad, but some of mine have seemed kinda quiet. I would probably say that low breath pressure is usually necessary.

The problem is that they have smaller issues and not very good customer service to deal with it (since it's just two people). For example, my SF has severe condensations issues. My tenor F (and an AC I once had) both squeaked if you played the high notes with enough pressure to keep them in tune, meaning that there was a choice between being out of tune or possibly squeaking. I've heard from others that they've run across similar small problems. So that's what you need to worry about. Fortunately, if you live close enough to visit you might be able to try the ocarinas out and get to know Chris and whatnot, so perhaps it won't be as much of a problem.

foxinthestars
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Thanks, Amerred.

I sent Chris a message, and he got back to me and said that for insurance reasons he couldn't have customers come to his workshop, so visiting and testing them that way is unfortunately out.

He said he does the St. Louis and Kansas City Ren Faires, though. The season's over for the year, but I may track him down that way next year.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ