Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tutorial: Intervals
Topic Started: 24 Jul 2012, 08:48 PM (8,479 Views)
Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
Conflict resolution is only a half step away!
Some songs were listed in an earlier post to help with ear training for intervals. My kids had to learn to identify intervals by ear when they took piano lessons. They started with a few of the easier ones, like major 2nd, major third, perfect fifth, octave, and they kept adding more until they could reliably identify all of the intervals by ear. They had to learn both ascending and descending intervals, and it really helped to pair them with songs they knew. I have listed some below that you might find helpful. Most of the time the interval is the first couple of notes in the song, but occasionally it is a well-known phrase from the song, as described. The trick is to find songs you really know well. Maybe you don't know "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera, but you know Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror." Concentrate on the one you know best!

Minor 2nd ⬆️: Stormy Weather
White Christmas
Hard Day's Night

Minor 2nd ⬇️: Für Elise
Shall We Dance?
Joy to the World

Major 2nd ⬆️: Silent Night
Rudolph, the Red-nosed Reindeer

Major 2nd ⬇️: Three Blind Mice
Yesterday

Minor 3rd ⬆️: Brahms' Lullaby
Georgia on my Mind
The Impossible Dream
So Long, Farewell (The Sound of Music)

Minor 3rd ⬇️: Star Spangled Banner
Hey, Jude

Major 3rd ⬆️: Oh, When the Saints Go Marching In
Morning Has Broken

Major 3rd ⬇️: Summertime

Perfect 4th ⬆️: Wedding March (Here Comes the Bride)
Simple Gifts
Love Me Tender
Someday, My Prince Will Come

Perfect 4th ⬇️: Oh, Come All Ye Faithful
Born Free

Tritone ⬆️: The Simpsons theme
Maria (West Side Story)

Tritone ⬇️: YYZ (Rush)

Perfect 5th ⬆️: Scarborough Fair
Blackbird (Beatles)
Star Wars theme

Perfect 5th ⬇️: Flintstones theme

Minor 6th ⬆️: We Are Young (for the word "fire." "So let's set the world on fire.")

Minor 6th ⬇️: Love Story theme

Major 6th ⬆️: It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
My Way (Sinatra)
NBC network theme tones (N-B of the N-B-C)

Major 6th ⬇️: Man in the Mirror (Michael Jackson); Interval is on "I'm start-" in the line, "I'm starting with the man in the mirror."
Music of the Night (Phantom of the Opera); "Night time" in the line, "Night time sharpens, heightens each sensation."

Minor 7th ⬆️: Star Trek theme
Somewhere (West Side Story); Interval is on ""There's a" in the line, "There's a place for us."

Minor 7th ⬇️: American in Paris
White Christmas, on the word "Christmases" at the end of the song in the line, "And may all your Christmases be white."

Major 7th ⬆️: The first and third notes of Somewhere Over the Rainbow
The first and third notes of Bali Ha'i

Major 7th ⬇️: Have Yourself a Merry Litle Christmas, the words "have your-" in the last line. "And have yourself a merry, little Christmas now."

Octave (perfect 8th) ⬆️: Somewhere Over the Rainbow (first two notes)
Bali Ha'i (first two notes)
Party Rock Anthem LMFAO, for the words "the house" in the line, "Party rock is in the house tonight."

Octave (perfect 8th) ⬇️: Willow, Weep For Me (Etta James)
Edited by Bayou Mama, 25 Aug 2015, 04:16 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Music Theory · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ