Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
TaoBao Bull Ocarinas
Topic Started: 17 Jul 2012, 05:09 AM (22,317 Views)
Teemi
Member Avatar
Hello =D
Hi guys, I noticed that people keep recommending these taobao ocarinas, but no one knows the names of the makers. Since I know a bit of Chinese, I figured I might as well clear this up so that we can give proper credit to the makers.

The makers of the bull ocarinas are actually a group of people. Two of them are introduced on the store site. The person who makes the body of the ocarina or the ceramic artist is named Song-ge, and the person who deals with the tuning and fingering is named Hao-tian.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Thanks for that! I own a quad and triple 'bull' ocarina, and wanted to know.

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

Thanks for that Teemi, do they have a brand name? Does their asian name translate to something? Or are we just going to call them Bull Ocarinas?

Teemi
Member Avatar
Hello =D
KypSyd
17 Jul 2012, 05:57 AM
Thanks for that Teemi, do they have a brand name? Does their asian name translate to something? Or are we just going to call them Bull Ocarinas?
I don't think they have a brand name or at least I couldn't find any reference on their website. They keep referring to themselves as a "small shop." Their Chinese names don't have any special meaning above your regular Chinese names, and it's the name of the actual people, not the brand. Also, the names on the website are probably not even their full names. If you must know, Song-ge translates to Elder Brother Song, and Hao-tian translates to Vast/Summer Sky. For example, my Chinese name is Happy Cloud. As for their username "wangxuedabao," I have no idea what that means without the actual characters. Chinese is a language in which words with different meanings are pronounced similarly.

Edit: I don't know if this helps or just makes things more confusing, but the banner on top of their website means "ancient." The "gutaozigongshe" in their url means "Ancient - Ocarina Commune." I don't know why they gave their store/their team such a strange name. I think I'll just call them bull ocarinas made by Song-ge and Hao-tian. Lol
Edited by Teemi, 17 Jul 2012, 07:13 AM.

Verstand
Member Avatar
Ocarina Neophyte

Speaking of which, anyone know if they're any good? I'm very tempted to try one out because of the (really fantastic) price.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Meep. Just put an order in with an agent for a DAF! I went with someone not Henry and not taobaonow (they haven't been active in a while and don't take paypal anymore) so we shall see! XD

Once I have it, I'll make a comparison between it and some of my others (I don't have any other DAF's or AF's from makers but I do have one I made myself, and have several multi-chambers) and put it here :)

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I've been using Henry, and he's been great, though I'd still be interested how it goes with your agent.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Yeah, I just felt weird emailing some random guy at hotmail (not that I really feel MUCH safer with this, but yeah XD)

I'll be sure to put a review of them up as well on the taobao guide when/if everything goes through :)
Edited by spoonyspork, 22 Jul 2012, 03:17 PM.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
I put in an order for one with an agent yesterday, and got a message back saying it takes a month to make. I seem to recall someone saying they got this message as well, but this wasn't really the case (only that if you wanted a custom one it would take a month). I can't seem to find that thread now though... could anyone who've bought one confirm or deny this?

Thanks!

alphard
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
I think we need a big thread consolidating all the information we have on the bull ocarinas at this point...there seems to be a lot of interest in them!

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

alphard
22 Jul 2012, 02:42 PM
I think we need a big thread consolidating all the information we have on the bull ocarinas at this point...there seems to be a lot of interest in them!
I think this is a good idea. This could be 'that' thread if spoons would re-title it. I know I am interested in a cheaper, wonderful, multi-chamber ocarina. Ordering through an agent really scares me though.

RJ

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Well, there's a post in the 'Asia and Pacific' area of the forum, but this is more specific to agents for taobao than the bull ocarinas themselves. I.E. I think this agent is just going off the description which says 'customized for a month', and I want to correct them if so XD

*edit* @RJ -- I've ordered several ocarinas without issue through taobaonow.com -- I'm just working through a different agent now as taobaonow raised their rates and no longer accepts paypal. I've been worried every time, but so far nothing bad has happened :)

(hrm, this possibly could also be better in the taobao guide?)
Edited by spoonyspork, 22 Jul 2012, 03:10 PM.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

I have merged the two recent threads about the bull ocarinas

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I've been using Henry as my agent. I think my first order took about 3 weeks, which included two ocarinas, one of them being a Bull ocarina. I have another order in right now, and I'm expecting about the same wait time. The agent has to buy and receive the ocarinas on your behalf from taobao, and then after receiving all the items, he then turns around and ships them to you.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Stephen Bobchin
22 Jul 2012, 03:16 PM
I have merged the two recent threads about the bull ocarinas
Bah, you moved it while someone I'm pretty sure has bought one was posting. I hope they see where it was moved XD

How about you? Did it take a month for you (not factoring in weird shipping problems to bases)? :)

Læty
Member Avatar
Tender melody

Indeed, a good idea. I have thought about that, yesterday.

A thread like the one I try to do on Gosselink: I always edit the first post to complete information.

Data about Taobao and especially "the bull", which seems to stand out among other Taobao's ocarinas, are too fragmentary, need a clear and complete thread-database! (and official feedbacks/reviews).

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Wollemi Pine
22 Jul 2012, 03:21 PM
I've been using Henry as my agent. I think my first order took about 3 weeks, which included two ocarinas, one of them being a Bull ocarina. I have another order in right now, and I'm expecting about the same wait time. The agent has to buy and receive the ocarinas on your behalf from taobao, and then after receiving all the items, he then turns around and ships them to you.
Hmm, was that three weeks total or three weeks just to get to Henry?

Læty
Member Avatar
Tender melody

Quote:

Bah, you moved it while someone I'm pretty sure has bought one was posting. I hope they see where it was moved XD
That was me. Fortunately, I have understood the process ^^

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Three weeks to get the order once I placed it. Henry responded to my emails right away. There was a few days of email exchange before placing the order, since I was asking a lot questions about the process and the cost involved.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Okie, thanks guys ^.^

Going to ....... *try* and explain this to the agent. Perhaps I should have trusted the random guy at hotmail more, lol XD

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

spoonyspork
22 Jul 2012, 03:31 PM
Okie, thanks guys ^.^

Going to ....... *try* and explain this to the agent. Perhaps I should have trusted the random guy at hotmail more, lol XD
Who's this 'random guy'?

starhero
Member Avatar
Kenjo The Pomeranian!!!
Why are they called "bull" ocarina?

Læty
Member Avatar
Tender melody

I call it like that because there is a bull drawed on it :grin:

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

starhero
22 Jul 2012, 04:07 PM
Why are they called "bull" ocarina?
There's a bull symbol on the ocarina.

Posted Image

alphard
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
What do you think to it, Wollemi? How does the tone and chamber balance compare to the other multichambered ocarinas you have in your collection? I've heard good things about it from Stephen and Tenkei - just wanting to get as many opinions as I can! ^_^

@RJ924: Yeah, the idea of ordering via agent scares me too. People seem to be having good experiences so far though (particularly with Henry)

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Wollemi Pine
22 Jul 2012, 03:47 PM
spoonyspork
22 Jul 2012, 03:31 PM
Okie, thanks guys ^.^

Who's this 'random guy'?
Just a joke at myself -- I felt a little weird about emailing someone on hotmail (Henry) when I couldn't find them online. Not that I don't trust people here have had good experiences :)

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Well, they didn't reply, but did order as I requested (when they emailed to say it said a month to get, they asked if I still wanted to order). I saw the sales go up by one and the available items go down by one at the same time I got the email showing it was ordered. So now to see just how long it takes! I'm so excited! ^.^

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Let us know how it goes for ya'!

Armisis
Member Avatar
Paradoxical Enigma

Oh wow! Now there's an Ocarina make I need to add to my collection!!!
Great find!

Thank you!!!

Dave

Intense
Member Avatar
Bartholomew Kittensworth
Any known issues with these? Like any common tuning problems?
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12261345773& is a link to the quad bass C. It doesn't say "improved version" which worries me. I was told specifically to make sure it says "improved version".

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Intense
25 Jul 2012, 03:46 AM
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12261345773& is a link to the quad bass C. It doesn't say "improved version" which worries me. I was told specifically to make sure it says "improved version".
That's the exact same link I ordered mine from. The photo of my quad is in this thread already.

Intense
Member Avatar
Bartholomew Kittensworth
Wollemi Pine
25 Jul 2012, 04:28 AM
Intense
That's the exact same link I ordered mine from. The photo of my quad is in this thread already.
And its fine, even though its not "the improved version"? I "think" I recall Stephen being the one advocating for the improved version since the old ones had issues. Does this ring a bell?

Teemi
Member Avatar
Hello =D
Intense
25 Jul 2012, 05:24 AM
Wollemi Pine
25 Jul 2012, 04:28 AM
Intense
And its fine, even though its not "the improved version"? I "think" I recall Stephen being the one advocating for the improved version since the old ones had issues. Does this ring a bell?
I think the quad was developed after the other ocarinas were improved. Hence, there was no older version to improve upon.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Intense
25 Jul 2012, 05:24 AM
Define the 'improved' version.

Stephen posted a photo of his, and there are differences in the placement of subholes, and mine has more line markings. I'm pretty sure mine is a more recent version than his. It looks to me the ocarina maker is making tweaks to his ocarinas.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

They are actively improving on them constantly, but at one point there were two types for sale, the regular and the improved.

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

Can someone place a link to the double and triple bass also?

RJ

Armisis
Member Avatar
Paradoxical Enigma

I just emailed them to see if there is a way I can get one of the Quad's shipped to the US... Sigh, I hope so... I had quite a hard time reading it using google translate...

Dave

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

RJ924
25 Jul 2012, 06:47 AM
Can someone place a link to the double and triple bass also?

RJ
Triple Bass Link

Double Bass Link

Intense
Member Avatar
Bartholomew Kittensworth
Go to the link provided for the toaboa store in a browser that translates. Go to where you see the thumbnails of everything for sale and you will see some ocarinas specifically labeled as "improved version".

Læty
Member Avatar
Tender melody

Here: http://gutaozigongshe.taobao.com/ On the left of the page, you have all the sorts of ocarinas sale by the "bull". No need to translate: It begins from quad, until one chamber (cf. photos), with the key indicated.

I realize that, for the triple and quad, a thing worries me. It seems that there is no angle between the breath path and the holes alignment: It looks more like straight flutes glued together than an ocarina, what a pity!
Edited by Læty, 25 Jul 2012, 11:38 AM.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
All multi-chambers have a bit less of an angle to the windway than single chambers because it makes chamber switching a lot easier.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

Lætycia Pasiphæ
25 Jul 2012, 08:24 AM
Here: http://gutaozigongshe.taobao.com/ On the left of the page, you have all the sorts of ocarinas sale by the "bull". No need to translate: It begins from quad, until one chamber (cf. photos), with the key indicated.

I realize that, for the triple and quad, a thing worries me. It seems that there is no angle between the breath path and the holes alignment: It looks more like straight flutes glued together than an ocarina, what a pity!
Could you clarify what you mean on the no angle?

Læty
Member Avatar
Tender melody

Well, Taobao "bull" triple and quad are not as transverse as other ones, like TNG PC triple.

They are not really transversal, cf. picture attached below!

Attached to this post:
Attachments: transverse_vs_straight_ocarina.jpg (75.72 KB)
Edited by Læty, 25 Jul 2012, 01:56 PM.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

they are about as transverse as a focalink, and it makes no difference in sound

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Also, if anything, it should improve ergonomics.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ