Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Ocarina featured in a score by Austin Wintory; The ocarina is being featured in a game's score
Topic Started: 11 Jul 2012, 12:30 PM (4,861 Views)
Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Horn, an upcoming action adventure game for IOS and Andriod, prominently features the ocarina as part of Austin Wintory’s fully orchestrated score. Not only that, the ocarinist on the soundtrack is TON’s own Cris Gale also known as Ocarinadiva.
For more info about the game, here is a teaser trailer :

And of course, the STL Aria was one of the ocarinas she used.

For those of you who don't know, Austin Wintory is the composer responsible for the sound track to Journey, and this is definitely the kind of publicity the ocarina needs to be taken seriously as an instrument.

(Not to mention that the game itself actually looks really fun)
And finally, if anyone else has any awesome Ocarina news like this, feel free to let the staff know, and we'll try to get it out there!
Edited by Stephen Bobchin, 11 Jul 2012, 12:32 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

That sounds pretty cool. Congratulations to Cris for her part in this. I know it must be pretty exciting for her. Of everyone here on TON, she is just the person I could see doing this. I'll have to get the game for my tablet when it is available.

RJ

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
COOOOOL!!! Indeed--just what the ocarina community needs!

Krešimir Cindrić

And how exactly does this make it belong in "FrontPage News and Official Announcements"? Why not in "Performances"? This is the same as the method book by Milt. Is somebody getting sponsored for separating them out from everyone else?

It doesn't seem fair that this is receiving all the spotlight and, for example, Gruppo Ocarinistico Budriese playing the soundtrack of a documentary film about the Holocaust gets completely ignored. I guess Admins care more about video games and commercial interests.
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 11 Jul 2012, 06:43 PM.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone :)

I found an additional interview with gameplay footage here. (embedded below).

At the end of the video he says that it should be releasing soon. The whole recording process was on a deadline, so it makes sense. I'll try to let everyone know when the game comes out or soundtrack samples are released.

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Congratulations Cris! Jack (Elven) told me the news when i met up with him today, good for you! :thumbsup:

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Cris, is this game only going to be released on mobile devices? How about PC or videogame consoles? It looks pretty interesting, sort of like a combination of ICO, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last of Us.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

@Kal
Thanks! :)

@pandorado100
I think the guy in the interview says that they aren't ruling out releasing Horn on PC/consoles, but the main purpose of the game is to offer mobile gamers something closer to the console experience with an epic adventure they can play on a touch screen.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

Krešimir Cindrić
11 Jul 2012, 06:39 PM
And how exactly does this make it belong in "FrontPage News and Official Announcements"? Why not in "Performances"? This is the same as the method book by Milt. Is somebody getting sponsored for separating them out from everyone else?

It doesn't seem fair that this is receiving all the spotlight and, for example, Gruppo Ocarinistico Budriese playing the soundtrack of a documentary film about the Holocaust gets completely ignored. I guess Admins care more about video games and commercial interests.
If I had known about that, I would have posted about that as well.I have offered to post announcements from every group or maker, Milt and Cris are just the only two that have actually responded to me. Oh, and Kuolong Pan has also requested I post an announcement for something in the future, just waiting on the go ahead on that. I started asking for ocarina news in order to post positive content to the front page instead of letting it sit stagnant with topics derived from forum drama. Oh, and Milt's method book is more of a charity interest than a commercial interest, as are all his performances, and even the Infinity ocarina.

Dullahan
Member Avatar
Don't you just love soundwalking?

This is fantastic! I'm really glad the Ocarina is getting such publicity, I'd love to see new Ocarinisits. Congrats Cris. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I'm glad this was posted. Even though I subscribe to videogame newsfeeds, they haven't said anything about Horn. I would have hated to miss out even though I don't have a mobile device currently.

Oh well, maybe it's time to think about getting an iPad. :)

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I don't have an iPad either, but the fact that they may be open to other platforms gives me hope. I could totally see this game being a 3ds game where the top screen is in 3d and for the game and the touchscreen is for gestures/controls.

Verstand
Member Avatar
Ocarina Neophyte

I hope this game will be available for the Nexus 7, and if so, I'll be certain to get it! :thumbsup:

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

How did I miss this announcement!? Congratulation Cris! Yay for ocarina awareness! I'm happy for you! :D

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
My God, Austin Wintory is an amazing composer, this is way to awesome. I just leave it here, one of my favorites by Austin:

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

@Verstand : I was looking at the Nexus 7. It looks to be pretty reasonably priced for what you get. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

@ Suki : thanks :)

@ Gyzn : I love that song too. It's actually how I got to know Austin. I liked it so much I had to record an ocarina cover. I contacted TGC and they put me in contact with Austin, who graciously allowed me to record and post it online.

Verstand
Member Avatar
Ocarina Neophyte

Ocarinadiva
15 Jul 2012, 07:16 PM
@Verstand : I was looking at the Nexus 7. It looks to be pretty reasonably priced for what you get. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

@ Suki : thanks :)

@ Gyzn : I love that song too. It's actually how I got to know Austin. I liked it so much I had to record an ocarina cover. I contacted TGC and they put me in contact with Austin, who graciously allowed me to record and post it online.
My current thoughts on the Nexus 7: :jumpy:

I've preordered it, should be getting it soon. After I play around with it, I'll be able to make a more apt judgement.

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Wow, having a conversation with Austin... and he allowed you to post your cover. Seems like he's not only a great composer, but also a kind man. Congratulations, can't wait to play it, and hear the soundtrack.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

@ Verstand : Cool, please let me know what you think of it after you've had it for a while. I like the idea of a tablet but the cost of an iPad is a bit much IMO.

@ Gyzyn : He really is a nice person and was wonderful to work with. Also, he has a good bit of music on his Bandcamp page. 100% of the proceeds from Majid go to charity. It's a great soundtrack and at only $4, it's a bargain!

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Well it's definitely worth more than $4, fortunately I can pay how much I want to.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
At last!
Now I can Die in peace knowing that the Ocarina has made it this far our culture. :rofl:

In all seriousness though: Congratulation to you Ms OcarinaDiva! Good Luck!

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Horn's official trailer came out today. It looks like they're releasing it this month!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDsP-T5iMkc

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Wow! Looks terrific. I wish they'd release it for PC at least if they don't feel like supporting consoles.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I agree. I'd like to see it for PC or for 3ds. Really, I'd LOVE to see it on the 3ds. I think the touch screen would be perfect for it.

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
I kept my ears wide open through the entire trailer, but I did not hear an ocarina once. Game looks pretty nice, hope it's going to be released on pc.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Austin Wintory just posted the main theme for Horn on Soundcloud! :D

http://soundcloud.com/awintory/horn-yours-to-name

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

I am enjoying that peice, it has an extremely asian sound to it

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Finally I heard some ocarina.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Thanks guys!

Kotaku article from yesterday! :D
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 7 Aug 2012, 08:17 PM.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I wish I had a tablet in order to play this. The music sounds great. Congrats Cris.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I think it is going to be playable on phones as well. It says it is coming out for iOS and Android, so I'm guessing that it will be available on smartphones too.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
....♥♥♥♥♥.... sooooooo happy!!!!!!!!!! That's such beautiful music! It sounds very Irish to me. ♥

on a side note Ocarina Diva, can you tell me anything about the Aria Ocarina from STL? Anything good about it?

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Thank you! I really can't wait to hear the music when the game and soundtrack comes out.

I'm working on the overview for the Aria right now. TON has a topic on the Aria here:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7209860/1/

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Thank you very much!

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

The soundtrack releases August 13th, but right now available for preorder for only $5! You can also listen to 3 tracks free.

http://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/album/horn

Also, 25% of all of the proceeds will go directly to the non-profit Education Through Music.

Edited by Ocarinadiva, 10 Aug 2012, 04:50 PM.

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
Stephen Bobchin
7 Aug 2012, 08:26 AM
I am enjoying that peice, it has an extremely asian sound to it
I agree ! The melody has an Asian sound and sometimes sounds epic medieval.
Congratulations to Cris for this great work.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Question: What kind of ocarina did you use? Soprano, Alto or something else?

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Besides the Aria, I used my PC triple, PC bass triple, and my Focalink straw fired set. I didn't play any European ocarinas this time, because the style of music seemed to call for a more clean, ethereal sound instead of a more textured tone. I debated whether to use the Focalink set or my BW Porcelain set, but in the end I went with the Focalinks since they require slightly less breath, because there were lots of times I needed to hold a note for a long time without running out of breath (for the sake of phrasing/interpretation). I think a triple in F or G would have made some things easier, but for the most part everything went fine because Austin was aware of the range of each of the ocarinas I was using, keys that were easy/difficult to play in for each of them, etc as he was composing the ocarina parts. He's just awesome like that. :)
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 10 Aug 2012, 11:11 PM.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
I think Austin Wintory is my new favorite composer... and now one of my favorite people as well :D

Congrats on landing this Cris! Between this and the magazine and all of that... can we call you 'famous' yet? :)

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Horn is now available on the App store! :D

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/horn/id549350579?mt=8
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 16 Aug 2012, 05:17 PM.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

Downloading

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Ocarinadiva
10 Aug 2012, 11:10 PM
Besides the Aria, I used my PC triple, PC bass triple, and my Focalink straw fired set. I didn't play any European ocarinas this time, because the style of music seemed to call for a more clean, ethereal sound instead of a more textured tone. I debated whether to use the Focalink set or my BW Porcelain set, but in the end I went with the Focalinks since they require slightly less breath, because there were lots of times I needed to hold a note for a long time without running out of breath (for the sake of phrasing/interpretation). I think a triple in F or G would have made some things easier, but for the most part everything went fine because Austin was aware of the range of each of the ocarinas I was using, keys that were easy/difficult to play in for each of them, etc as he was composing the ocarina parts. He's just awesome like that. :)
So..... not too much hope for the average Joe to be able to learn these songs? I don't have or want any multi-chambered ocarinas, too expensive.
I have a Dragon Tooth and have learned to mimic the sound of an Aria. Still any hope? I still love the music and if I can't play it then "oh well."

I'm just wondering. The song I'd love to learn is "Yours to name".....♥♥♥

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

The Horn OST is available for $1 right now. I don't know how long the sale will last. Also, 25% of the money raised will go to charity.

Edited by Ocarinadiva, 12 Oct 2012, 07:04 AM.

Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
omg ty cris! :D

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Ocarinadiva
12 Oct 2012, 06:45 AM
The Horn OST is available for $1 right now. I don't know how long the sale will last. Also, 25% of the money raised will go to charity.

It's $1 (or more). Thanks!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ