Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Songbird coupon code?
Topic Started: 4 May 2012, 05:02 PM (16,420 Views)
Rewkie
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
It would be realy nice to have 10 percent off of thestrawfired DT! Im trying to save up for a 17" mac at the same time so i gotta think smart on what i buy and how i buy it. >:3
Anybody wanna reply? :C
Edited by Rewkie, 4 May 2012, 06:15 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
David mentioned on his Vokle broadcast that they'll be sending out the new Songbird newsletter soon. If you are a subscriber, you should be getting it. They usually put a discount code in for holidays and such. I used the last one to buy my Tai Chi pendant.

DavidRamos
Member Avatar

Yes, there should be a coupon in this weekend's Newsletter, which should be out tonight or tomorrow morning. You can subscribe to the newsletter on the Songbird Homepage.
Edited by DavidRamos, 4 May 2012, 07:36 PM.

Rewkie
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Kk thanx guyz!!

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

You could instantly cut your computer funds goal an half by buying a similar performing Windows 7 laptop for half the price from Asus or HP. :p

You'd have enough money left over for a couple of beautiful triple ocarinas! I understand the want for a Mac, though. I wish I had a Mac so I could run Garageband and Logic Studios.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

You could further reduce your cost by just building your own computer :p

Rewkie
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Origionally i was gonna get an alienware but dad wants me to get a mac xD he fell in love with the 30 inch imac when he saw it! But of course he knew nothing about it and i had to tell him the difference between windows and OS X Lion.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

I have a Mac and I love it to bits, but that's mostly because for the applications I need to fulfill it works.
However, after getting more into gaming on the PC in the last year or so, I've really wanted a PC =/

There's no way to improve the graphics card on this Macbook so I will eventually get a PC someday.

So yea, my point is, what applications will you use it for?
Edited by Achint, 4 May 2012, 08:49 PM.

Rewkie
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Ill be playin minecraft and toying around with any app i can get!
Plus macs are made of magical unicorns! :D
Edited by Rewkie, 4 May 2012, 09:06 PM.

Music Forever
Member Avatar
Look on the bright side.
Macs are better for things like music, photos, art, and videos. For anything else PC is just fine.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

For a $2500 Mac laptop, you could roughly get a $1200 PC equivalent with the same level of performance. If you aren't determined on owning and Mac and if you mostly want a computer for casual things, I'd highly suggest a PC instead. No use in an extra $1200 expense for a shiny name, you know? PC's are great.

I'm saying all of this as I'm staring at Macbook Pro's with Logic Studios built in. I wish Logic were also available on Windows. :cry:

fermataheart
Member Avatar
"High and Mighty"
*plays the virus card*

I'm not going to say that Macs never get viruses, but it's much less likely to get a virus on a Mac (mostly because people don't really give a darn about hacking them, but I digress).

I'm running a 2006 MacBook with no virus protection and my first kernel panic (Blue Screen of Death) was a month ago. The system recovered itself just by a hard shut down and reboot.

My laptop is still going strong after 6 years.

For the amount of money you save on any one PC you invest it in maintenance and possibly buying a whole new machine within a shorter period of time. At least, that's my experience.

DavidRamos
Member Avatar

I have a Mac. I also love it to bits. Mainly because it just does what you want. No countless nags for updates. No viruses. Great for editing teh movies and teh musics.

Penycat
Member Avatar
Ocarina lover at first site!
I have been building my own PCs for years now, too many to count! I never have issues with them, they run fantastic and I always put top of the line hardware with expansion room. This leaves me plenty of cash to build myself new computers when I want and I give my not so old computers to family and friends and they can't believe how great they run. My silly boyfriend buys gateways, HP etc....his always burns up, has blue screens of death and locks up after so much time. But he also never cleans up his hard drives.
But I like to use other people's MACs and mt iPad!

Hope you get a ocarina discount!

The Rosskonian
Member Avatar
You can call me Ross
I worked for Apple for 4 years. They make nice computers. But you are really paying for the name just as much as the machine. They are just as prone to failure as any PC though.

And yes, there are viruses for them. Like Fermataheart said, not as many since most people who write viruses want the biggest impact possible, but they are there.

Oh wait...on topic...I'd love to see a freeshiping coupon from Songbird. Especially when the Little Wing comes out.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
I am not sure if mac does, but nearly every operating system has built in virus protection. You'd be amazing at how many thousands of viruses a computer would get in a relatively short period with out any protection what-so-ever.

Why would you want to spend 2500 on a door-stop with a fruit logo.

The reason macs never get viruses is because no one wants to use them.

I had to use a mac once and the browser crashed at least 20 times in the half hour I was using it.

CJ ocarinas
Member Avatar
Made of earth, Formed with water, Kilned in fire, and Sings with air

What achint and David said. I have a Mac and I love it. I would never get another windows computer again! Linux is fine if your building your own computer. But Mac is the way to go. I've had mine over a year now and it still runs like new. My windows stopped after a month

fermataheart
Member Avatar
"High and Mighty"
You could buy a factory refurbished Mac and then buy what ever upgrades you want (RAM, a better HD) yourself.

I don't see the need for a bigger screen... The point of a laptop is to be portable XD

So if I ever choose to upgrade my Mac would cost me a little over $1,000. That's not bad.

On a more related note, I am eagerly waiting for that newsletter David :3

DavidRamos
Member Avatar

fermataheart
5 May 2012, 02:10 PM
On a more related note, I am eagerly waiting for that newsletter David :3
Sorry, I'm still working on it, lol. But it'll be out later today for sure! :D

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

No no..... I really am not interested in an older refurbished Macbook. You can buy all the ram in the world, but you'd be stuck with an outdated dual core processor that you can't swap out.

I also find it frustrating that Apple will not incorporate HDMI ports into their computers. You end up having to buy expensive adapters, costing thirty to forty dollars for a simple Mini DisplayPort - HDMI converter and then more for an audio line-out (since the DisplayPort doesn't support transmission of both video and audio data like plain HDMI would).

I love macs, and I'm personally prone to buying premium products with influence from the glam and name brand factor, but I don't think I'd say buying a mac is a sensible alternative to a good ol' Windows 7 machine when the price gap is large enough to be 1/3 of the cost of a decent used car.

Anybody heard of the Flashback trojan that recently infected half a million Macs? They're still susceptible to malware, though it's not profitable for a for-profit hacker to write malware that doesn't have the potential to affect more than ten percent of computers on the internet. Macs have a very small piece of the pie.

But of course, if anyone hands me three thousand dollars to spend on a computer, I can guarantee you the first thing I'd buy would be a decked out 27'' iMac. Now making my own money, I think I'm just offended by the idea of spending three or four whole months of my pay on a single luxury item when I could work half the time for a more sensible alternative that essentially does the same thing just as well.

fermataheart
Member Avatar
"High and Mighty"
Meh, I've spent a long time on PCs and Macs and I just find Max OS to be consistently more intuitive, at least for what I do. That is, I don't just use my Mac to tweet or check Facebook.

I really like Logic and Final Cut and I also prefer Mac Mail to Outlook. Even Microsoft Office Suite and Photoshop is less clunky on a Mac. Just to name a few things.

Also these are not old processors:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13
Some people don't realize these are available.

And yeah I did hear about that trojan, just as long as you're doing regular software updates you aren't vulnerable to it.

Final consensus:
Macs are expensive, yes. Are they worth it if you're gonna do way, way more than check Facebook? Probably.

Is it personal preference? Absolutely.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Bateleur
5 May 2012, 05:03 PM
No no..... I really am not interested in an older refurbished Macbook. You can buy all the ram in the world, but you'd be stuck with an outdated dual core processor that you can't swap out.

I also find it frustrating that Apple will not incorporate HDMI ports into their computers. You end up having to buy expensive adapters, costing thirty to forty dollars for a simple Mini DisplayPort - HDMI converter and then more for an audio line-out (since the DisplayPort doesn't support transmission of both video and audio data like plain HDMI would).

I love macs, and I'm personally prone to buying premium products with influence from the glam and name brand factor, but I don't think I'd say buying a mac is a sensible alternative to a good ol' Windows 7 machine when the price gap is large enough to be 1/3 of the cost of a decent used car.

Anybody heard of the Flashback trojan that recently infected half a million Macs? They're still susceptible to malware, though it's not profitable for a for-profit hacker to write malware that doesn't have the potential to affect more than ten percent of computers on the internet. Macs have a very small piece of the pie.

But of course, if anyone hands me three thousand dollars to spend on a computer, I can guarantee you the first thing I'd buy would be a decked out 27'' iMac. Now making my own money, I think I'm just offended by the idea of spending three or four whole months of my pay on a single luxury item when I could work half the time for a more sensible alternative that essentially does the same thing just as well.
Judging from my friend, Iris, I would have to conclude that a Mac is more than a computer-- it's a religion!
Because she absolutely worships hers and is always trying to bring me into the fold. LOL

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

I'm waiting for Sherb or Jack (Elven) to comment xD

Kibbler
Member Avatar
Sick and tired
It depends on what your doing. For gaming, a pc would probably be the best Idea. I do a lot of photoshop, and that works out great on my Mac. You could try getting something with chrome OS, if you mainly want to use the web. But if you like to mod minecraft I wouldn't recommend it.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Or if you just want to play Minecraft...
It's not worth spending over $1000 if all you want to do is play a video game that would work on most phones today :p

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
In fact it does work. They have versions for both iphone and android. Another thing: I hate the censorship on what you can put on the apple devices that use the app store.

CJ ocarinas
Member Avatar
Made of earth, Formed with water, Kilned in fire, and Sings with air

Bateleur
5 May 2012, 05:03 PM
Um......the display port DOES support audio. idk why the people at bestbuy dont get that lol.....all you have to do is go to settings and switch audio to display port out when device is plugged in. i do it all the time.

fermataheart
Member Avatar
"High and Mighty"
SuperBobKing
5 May 2012, 09:47 PM
Another thing: I hate the censorship on what you can put on the apple devices that use the app store.
That's mostly to either protect their own business (who wouldn't?) or to avoid large amounts of terrible apps to slip through the cracks. Mostly the former, but I don't blame them.

Rewkie
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Lol ive started a conver sation on computers and mincraft on TON! XD Well when is that newsletter gonna come? I still dont have it.

Kibbler
Member Avatar
Sick and tired
The minecraft for android and iOS isn't very good, they're still developing it and you can't even craft anything, just build with blocks.
Edited by Kibbler, 6 May 2012, 02:34 AM.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
From what I've heard crafting is coming next update, but I think that was for apple, and I am pretty sure the android one is a bit behind.
And there is still a very large number of terrible apps in the app store but apple approved all of them, so if they do something that apple doesn't like then people can't use them. And I see being able to have complete control over what goes on the device as a monopoly, which in the united states is prohibited by the federal government. But as far as that goes they don't have near complete control on the app market overall since other devices use apps so they probably can't get in trouble for it. Although the US government also took down mega upload and other sites that had no reason to go so on that regard I can't really say much against them as far as it being illegal when I have major things against the people who made the law.

fermataheart
Member Avatar
"High and Mighty"
I meant that when I said "Mostly the former..."

It's their store/domain.
It's almost like having a landlord when you open a shop in a strip mall or something, there are things you can and can't do.

Also, there are a much larger volume of horrible apps in the Android Market.

Still awaiting that newsletter :3

Kibbler
Member Avatar
Sick and tired
I think it only counts as a monopoly if it is the only option and it is very useful if not necessary. If you want to get the apps apple pulls, most of them end up in Cydia.

Rewkie
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Crafting for ios is allready here but dont worry its CRAP! Its a little recipe list and you just click on the item you want and poof it appears. They did a horrible job on the pocket edition. I hope the xbox version is better because i preordered it from gamestop. :/

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
Yes, but look at how many more apps the android market has, and you can download stuff that isn't sold in the market. And having complete freedom is very useful if you want to say, test your own apps before they are final, or just want something small and simple that wouldn't make sense to anyone but you and you wouldn't want the bad publicity of uploading it to go against your name.

Rewkie
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Yes yes but now can we get back on topic? I still need that coupon code! :/

gytech
Member Avatar
The opinionated quiet guy.

Rewkie
6 May 2012, 04:41 PM
Yes yes but now can we get back on topic? I still need that coupon code! :/
Patience is a virtue! :)

Rewkie
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Ahhh cydia...my bestest friend! But the new update took my precious cydia away... And all my apps and hacks i had. Oh i remember when i used to hack anything and everything on minecraft. TNT,Lava,Water,and even diamond ore! I made a house out of diamon ore once. It was awsome!
WHERES MY NEWSLETTER!?!?!? :shakefist:
Edited by Rewkie, 7 May 2012, 05:12 PM.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Relax... Geez...
Talk about being childish.

Rewkie
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Lol man im just kidding.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Yeah Achint. :p *baps*

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Meh, whatever.

fermataheart
Member Avatar
"High and Mighty"
I must say I can hardly wait for it though, absolutely buying little wing as soon as the email gets sent out :D

Yay for finally getting that oc released by the way, it's beautiful, I'm gonna wear it to our local symphony hall. The hall is angel themed :3

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

Check your inboxes :)

Kibbler
Member Avatar
Sick and tired
Those are some amazing dragontooth ocarinas.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ