Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Takashi Ocarina by Kuolong Pan; A new website
Topic Started: 19 Oct 2011, 07:45 AM (29,145 Views)
pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I love the sound of that Takashi DAG. It's so smooth.

Maybe someday......Ack! I need a new car first. :(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

I know the feeling, Jeanne. If I had unlimited funds, I'd own every Takashi model available, LOL!

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
I know this is late, but he got back to me with a price estimate and told me that the DAG would be available on the website soon. Very quick response, seems to be a genuinely nice gentleman. C:

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Putting in a plug for Mark Chan. If anybody is looking for a Takashi ocarina, he's selling his DAC, C4 and C1 ocarinas. I can vouch for him. He's well known on TON. :)

Mark's Ocarina Sales thread
Edited by pandorado100, 31 Mar 2015, 07:18 PM.

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Has anyone heard anything about the DAG? There is nothing as of yet on the website. I'm just very eager to order one... Can't help it... hahahaha.

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

I emailed him yesterday, and it appears as though he just updated the page.
http://www.pankuolong.url.tw/mcocarinas.htm
The DAG is about 400 usd as of now. That's a little dissapointing...
Ah well! I'm sure it's a wonderful instrument!

Yoshi
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Ouch! 400 USD is a little (a lot) out of budget right now, but I want it so bad! Some day... Glad they are officially available anyway. They look gorgeous :)

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
So yeah, I have just enough in Savings, but my husband won't let me buy it. :(

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner.

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

It looks like I will be ordering one of these beauties (DAG) this week! >:D
So excited!
Edited by Tentenguy, 16 Jul 2015, 03:27 AM.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
My triple came today. What lovely craftsmanship!

SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Tentenguy, did you get your DAG? I'm still dying to order one...

Naryoril
Member Avatar
YukihoP
I just got an AG and a DAG. I only could play them for a few minutes, but they sound absolutely stunning. I already love my Takashi AC and DAC, but from this short time playing them the G ones sound even better.

The-Zesty-1
Member Avatar
Heartily Laughing
I'm going to be getting a Takashi DAC and I asked him about custom options, and he mentioned some customizations he offers not metioned on his site. Here is what he told me:

Dear (my name),
First of all, thanks for your interests in Takashi Ocarinas. Regarding your questions, my answers are following

Smoke-firing

I can do the smoke firing on the ocarina entirely and basically it will turn out a grayscale ocarina. I cannot guarantee you a real black one but I will make it as black as possible with best efforts.

soloist vs ensemble

The differences between these two version are the volume and the breath slope of second chamber. The first chamber is basically the same. The second chamber of soloist version will require more slope and as a result generate more volume while the ensemble version will be less slope and less volume. However, the degree of volume and slope is subjective and is a matter of personal preference.

fingering

There are two variant of fingering system supported on the second chamber, which are Asian standard (split hole on index finger and ring finger) and so-called osawa version (thumb hole on the back). They all have their pros and cons and subject to personal preference and nothing to do with the quality of sound. In addition to this, the subholes of first chamber can be Taiwanese style or Japanese style per request.

Basically above are the custom options that I can offer. Should you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Sincerely yours,
Kuolong

I just thought people should know about this since some of these options aren't specifically said anywhere on his site. :)

He's also going to be sending me a sound sample of the ensemble DAC without reverb (he adds reverb to his videos) so I'll probably post that too.
Edited by The-Zesty-1, 10 Nov 2015, 09:31 PM.

Chaud227
Member Avatar
Beginner
Hopefully noone minds me rezzing this older post, but this post being inactive left me wondering if he is still taking orders on his site? I'm a pretty new ocarina player, but I really like the Taiwan style fingering and adore the way the Alto C sounds, so while I have the funds I think I'm going to go ahead and go with one of these. Thing is I'm pretty impatient, which I'm thinking is all the more reason to go ahead and order one now- anyone know how the turn around time is these days?

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Hi Chaud227
Yes, Kuolong Pan is still active. Right now he is trying out some new clay mixtures. You can just email him through his website in English, he is quite responsive. I heard that he sometimes has some of his ocarinas available to sell, but usually he makes them when you order, and you can tell him what color, or special wishes you might have re breath pressure, thumb-hole on the triple etc. Then it would take the time he needs to make it, which depends on how many orders he has.
I think I saw someone just a couple of days ago selling a used AC Takashi triple here in the "Want to sell" thread. You might want to look at that if you are impatient and want a triple - they are awesome! :-)
The triple Takashi is still there, last post in this thread http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7105684/1/#new
The photo of it is the first post of the same thread
Edited by heike, 28 Apr 2017, 06:21 PM.

Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I just ordered a triple from him. I'm so excited! He was very responsive and informative. His customer service is top-notch.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Chaud227
28 Apr 2017, 03:29 PM
Hopefully noone minds me rezzing this older post, but this post being inactive left me wondering if he is still taking orders on his site? I'm a pretty new ocarina player, but I really like the Taiwan style fingering and adore the way the Alto C sounds, so while I have the funds I think I'm going to go ahead and go with one of these. Thing is I'm pretty impatient, which I'm thinking is all the more reason to go ahead and order one now- anyone know how the turn around time is these days?
Great choice for an ocarina. If I remember correctly it usually takes him 1-2months to make one, I guess the time varies depending on how much he stuffs up hehe

It would be good to consider if you would prefer the thumb hole on the 2nd chamber, lots of people have actually drilled their own thumb hole on their ocarinas because they prefer that fingering.

If you don't want to wait and don't care about the fingering then I would buy the takashi for sale on the other thread, you'll get it fast and it's the same product

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
bigray
28 Apr 2017, 10:09 PM
Chaud227
28 Apr 2017, 03:29 PM
Great choice for an ocarina. If I remember correctly it usually takes him 1-2months to make one, I guess the time varies depending on how much he stuffs up hehe

It would be good to consider if you would prefer the thumb hole on the 2nd chamber, lots of people have actually drilled their own thumb hole on their ocarinas because they prefer that fingering.

If you don't want to wait and don't care about the fingering then I would buy the takashi for sale on the other thread, you'll get it fast and it's the same product
My double chamber has the thumb hole put in at my asking. Kuolong was very accomodating to my requests. :)

If I remember correctly mine only took a bit over a month for him to make.

Chaud227
Member Avatar
Beginner
I sent him an email yesterday morning and he got back with me within a half an hour each of the two times I emailed him. He said he had didn't have any 4C's in his stock but he had a couple drying, he is going to pick one out for me and do a full smoke firing/grayscale. Haven't seen hardly any with that finish so I'm super interested in seeing how it turns out, I think I'll share a picture in this thread so others can see!

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
I have one that's fully smoked. I'll post a picture when I get home in about 3-4hours. Sometimes I wish I had the white with a little smoke

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Kuolong Pan has been experimenting with color for his ocarinas recently. He posted this on Facebook :)

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Colorful_Takashi_ocarinas_smaller.jpg (121.84 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 30 Apr 2017, 02:20 AM.

Breakfast Oreos
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Those are lovely! His work is very impressive. I also love how accommodating many ocarina makers are with customization. :)

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Nearly forgot about posting the pic :D

Spoiler: click to toggle

Chaud227
Member Avatar
Beginner
Oh wow, I was halfway nervous not knowing how it would turn out, but that is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing, bigray!

CFWhitman
Initiate
Breakfast Oreos
30 Apr 2017, 11:46 PM
Those are lovely! His work is very impressive. I also love how accommodating many ocarina makers are with customization. :)
Yes, I too find the customizations available impressive. For example, Olivier Gosselink will custom fit at least his larger ocarinas to a scan of your hands if you send him one. I don't run across too many offers like that as I look at other keyless woodwinds and ukuleles (the instruments I've shopped for).

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
I ordered my double earlier this year and the wait was just under a month. One thing to remember though is that smoke firing makes them unique. Even if the whole thing is being done it still might not look the same as another done the same way. I find the random designs fun though. I really enjoy mine. My only regret is that I realized I prefer the japanese subhole style right after I ordered my Takashi.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Kae
2 May 2017, 02:19 AM
I ordered my double earlier this year and the wait was just under a month. One thing to remember though is that smoke firing makes them unique. Even if the whole thing is being done it still might not look the same as another done the same way. I find the random designs fun though. I really enjoy mine. My only regret is that I realized I prefer the japanese subhole style right after I ordered my Takashi.
Ahhh no, that's the worst. Things like that only happen once 😄 Would have been better if it was on a cheaper ocarina

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I was so, SO excited to finally receive my Takashi Double AC in the mail today!! I just couldn't wait to show it off! :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: image1.jpg (45.46 KB)
Attachments: image2.jpg (45.99 KB)
Attachments: image3.jpg (32.48 KB)
Attachments: image4.jpg (42.31 KB)
Attachments: image5.png (151.73 KB)

Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Congrats, Kytt! It's absolutely beautiful. I'm sure you'll love it. :)

pankuolong
Member Avatar
Maker of Takashi Ocarinas
Hi, just want to say hello to all of you and share my new business card :)

Posted Image

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Hi :)

Nice to hear from you. Please add your business card with the new ocarinas you make 👍 I'm excited for mine

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Hi,

I also own a takashi Double AC strawfire-smoked ocarina. I love it.
It is so unique and beautiful.
And he was so nice and send emails to record his progress on my ocarina.

This man is really special.

Soren
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I have a question about Kuolong's DAC:
Does anyone have one with the right-hand thumb hole on the first chamber?

P.S. I do hope to get some feedback about this from Kuolong himself, but I still thought I would ask here.

Edit: I got my response from Kuolong and he does not offer this customization. I am actually glad, since I was fairly sure the ocarina would have better tonal quality without the right hand thumb hole.
Edited by Soren, 18 Sep 2017, 04:57 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ